• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A List: How to beat the infinites

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
This is not only to educate players on how to defeat someone using these tricks, but it is used as an argument AGAINST the TOs that ban this tactic. When someone thinks it should be banned, link them here and call them a noob.

So, it seems people are wanting to ban the IC infinites before they ever present a problem. One of the main reasons for this is that people fear that they will lose to an inferior opponent because they use a "gay" move. So, until the IC infinites actually present a problem, I'm making a list to educate people how to escape or avoid being caught.

This is an input thread, so post your tricks, and the reasonable ones will be added to the main post.

- Obvious one: if Nana dies, go all out. Popo by himself is much weaker and can't do any infinites. If she is isolated, attack her immediately.

- Be as douchey as possible.

- If you're up a stock or you have a significantly higher percentage, avoid the ICs and keep throwing projectiles (if you have them). The timer can be your friend.

- Counter pick a transforming / hazardous stage. Rainbow cruise, Brinstar, etc. They can only strike one level!

- After you build up damage with projectile users, use only attacks that are hard to punish or have low wind down with a combination of good shield knockback.

- Play Link or Toon Link and keep a bomb out. Nail the IC player with projectiles and throw your bomb when it is about to explode. Immediately pull out a new one. If they manage to grab you, the bomb will eventually explode and you'll be free.

- Play Falco and use lasers + side B to rack up damage and keep your distance. Go in for the kill when you see an opening or wait for the timer to run out.​

etc.

These are viable tricks that myself and other pros use to defeat tactics like this. These will all work, even assuming that your opponent can pull this off all the way 100% of the time in a tournament setting. If it doesn't work, practice more.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
- Separate Nana and Popo. When they are separated, each climber is proportionally weaker and has fewer recovery options. The secondary climber is can be killed easily at low percents, allowing you to focus on the human player.

EDIT: In terms of infinites, try to keep them separated as often as possible. Based off the fact that Popo cannot do any infinites.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
I cant stress this enough - Keep them seperated, it isnt difficult.
I played Overswarm here in a tournament recently and was amazed at the fact that he was one of the few people ive ever met to make proper use of said advice. I got beaten solely because he made his top priority to keep them separated. If you cannt do this, you just arnt trying because its extremely simple.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I see you are a pro. Your main is SONIC... There's no way anyone could beat such a HIGH TIER character like that! You must be like Ken on steroids man!

*Yes there was a buttload of sarcasm there*

Edit: Forgot to add, Samurai Panda said that the Back Room noticed things about getting out of grabs with the shield button and the A button. Something about pressing them right when you get grabbed. Hopefully someone can test this extensively in the Brawl part (not training mode they said cause there were weird/different things happening in there.)

Edit#2: I at least contributed to this thread StripesOrBars. Maybe you could add your input other than calling Lee a f@g?

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
Well the only other tip i could give someone is to jump and SH as much as possible. The IC's are extremely open above them, so Dairs can rain pain on them in the middle of an attack. Also, I have heard of this leeharris person but you are being extremely rude to everyone, even in your original post Lee, you are insulting everyone else and trying to portray dominance over other posters. You should strike your insults and profanities from your list of tips, they make it seem childish, insubstantial and less trustworthy. Just my two cents, thats all

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Yeah, like I said before, kids a f@g.

He never played Melee, then he says hes a "pro"because he's been to a Brawl tourney or 2.

GTFO you scrub.

I'm still LOLing at where he said "myself and other pros".

LOL, priceless.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I don't see the infinite being a problem, because I've only met 2 ice climbers mains in my region, as compared with 45908345980 snakes.. That, and I'd just play Peach against them, because she can separate them well. :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
StripesOrBars,

Lee isn't saying, "OMG I DISCOVERED NEW TECHNIQUES, I AM AWESOME!!!!!", he is just pointing out strategies that people can use against the IC to potentially avoid a painful infinite chain grab. You would be surprised at how many people say that the IC are too dangerous or unstoppable and yet rarely look for ways around the problem. If Lee was on an ego trip then I'm sure that people would correct him. But clearly he is not, and I do not see how insulting him or putting him down and calling him a scrub is contributing in any way to the thread topic.

Btw, has anyone tested out the thing I posted earlier? I don't have the proper resources to test stuff.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168617

Post #12 has more info from Samurai Panda on what I am talking about.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Yes, he's on an ego trip because he's in the Backroom and thinks he knows what he's talking about.

LOL, the morons they allow back there.

Anyone who thinks they're "pro" at Brawl is a scrub.

And LOL @ not knowing who Doodah is LeeHarris.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Haha, I'm sorry that you're jealous of me.

I'm going to make some kind of response after interpreting your massive stupidity. Until then, keep up the good work. You're keeping my thread bumped and making things interesting. If you are indeed trying to "troll," you are quite horrible at it. You should learn from Sliq. His trolling is awesome.

And I think it's funny that you think I didn't play Melee. Haha.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Mindless Chatter
What's hilarious is that you're 22 and arguing like you're 12. It's the most pathetic thing I think I've ever seen. Grow up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope this catches on because with the banning in Houstan and in my local area, I'd hate to see Tournament organizers give up on IC's.

Good players should be able to get rid of Nana. Plain and simple.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Button mash the controller as fast as you can to escape the grabs. Depending on how good the iceclimberr player chaingrabs are, you may not be able to escape.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Button mash the controller as fast as you can to escape the grabs. Depending on how good the iceclimberr player chaingrabs are, you may not be able to escape.
Weren't you that one guy that went against Wobbles in a tourney with Fox and he pretty much alt grabbed you to death? IN MELEE? Wobbs is too good. XD

No disrespect. Did he inspire you to play IC?

Tenki

Smash Hero
It was brought up earlier, but I'd like to bring it up again.
Someone linked to this post:
In the SBR, we've begun to notice a few things about breaking grabs, but nobody has gone through and tested things out yet. It seems that there are 2 things people have been throwing around here and there: Timing the A button, or timing the shield button, at the same time as you're grabbed results in you breaking the grab. Of course, I'm not talking about grabs breaking because of elevation differences.

If someone here would like to test this out some more, please do. And try not to use training mode, it seems there are quite a few things that are different in training mode for some reason.
It also comes up in the (not-very-widely-read) Mario boards in this thread, too:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168016

Searching for "grab" and "escape" only goes so far lol.

Confirm. Disconfirm. Discuss.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Thank you Tenki. I have posted Samurai's post in a few threads but I can't get anyone to test it. Hopefully this is catching on and people will pay more attention to this.

Top Bottom