• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Lesson Long Learned About Comp. Smash

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Hi Names Jeremy, I've been playing competitive smash (or atleast tried) since Jan.13.2006, thats not the point. I, like everyone who joins this site, in some way saw the high levels of smash. Whether it was youtube, google, or mabey in person at an Anime Convention, we all saw something that sparked are interest into this game past the point of just knowing how to play, but to the point of wanting to learn how to do what you just saw done. I think Im right in saying this correct?... O.K good, but thats not the point either.

My point is this:
You learn to Wavedash... you think your good.
You learn to L-Cancel... you think your really good.
You learn the Advance Tactics with your character in specific... you think your too good.
You learn all the crap like; Moonwalking, Wall-Teching, Double-Shine, etc.... you know, all the crap that makes you think your god... and then you go to FC(whatever...) and you get your *** handed to you. You then wonder, How?... and thats my point.

How is it, you can be the best thing technically in this game and still get owned like its your first time playing? I'v always wondered this. The simple, most ignorant I got from alot... and I mean ALOT of people was of course "mindgames". SHUT THAT S*** UP! Everything isn't mindgames, regardless of what many might believe. O.K back to the point, I then set out to ask alot of pro smashers "what makes you so good?", but I kept getting alot of "I dont want to talk about smash" or something on those lines. BUT WAIT! then I started to get some pretty good responses.

To sum it all up. The jist of everything I was told came out to this, Experience. Now alot of you are going to be like "dude, WTF?, I already knew that you suck, I play everyday with my friend, I own I own you suck"... That wasnt there point, there point was to play a wide variety of people, OR to play someone who plays a wide variety of people. It didn't really click with me until I noticed how the best person in are state (TX) could easily four stock the best person in are city (houston), without being gay; I.E cheap. I mean honestly, have you ever watched caveman play fox... its not that glorious, infact alot of people would say I could beat his fox. Then he comes... and he *****... and we don't know what happened. I myself am starting to understand this concept of experience. I recently went to a Anime convention, and 60% of the people could wave-dash and l-cancel... I was even surprised some could do things I couldn't do tech-wise... But! I could four stock them all. With Jiggs. I dont play Jiggs. I dont even like Jiggs. Yet, I knew when and where my opponnent would wave-dash, roll, tech... hell I even knew when he wasn't going to tech and EVEN when he was going to try to switch his style up cause he knew that I knew aht He was doing next...

Incase you skimmed throught it all like "what is this ninja talkin bout"... the point is experience. Experience determains what you know and how quickly you can kill. The End. +Rep me, I own... blah blah blah.

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
Experience determines everything. I do kind of disagree about some parts since mind games, prediction, wacedashing, L-canceling, and advanced tactics combined can easily win the game for you. I just think you can do all those things much, much better with playing experience.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Experience and Mindgaming kind of meet in the middle a bit. Knowing how to predict your opponent comes from experience AS WELL as mind ganes.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's really still mindgames that make you better. The experience just helps you advance your mindgames because you know what to do whenever, but mindgames are the foundation.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
I'm going to practice that shiz tomorrow but i won't think I'm the best.

And I just play at home with basically nobody I can seriously play with.

Where I am, I've never seen an ad or anything for SSB. It looks as if I'm not going to get experience.

So think about this (and I'm not trying to be nasty), some people don't get comps where they are, then out of nowhere, there's a comp. How are you going to get your "Experience"? I'm talking about the people who haven't gone to ANY.

Anyway, you whole thing makes sense and I could tell you were going to say experience without reading any of the second paragraph.

Samochan

Smash Master
Experience also includes mindgames and all that stuff. Experience is quite vital if one wants to become a good smasher, knowing how to predict your opponent, character matchups, all that kind of stuff. Whereas mindgames base more on observation, being unpredictable etc., but experience and mindgames meet on the middle as Pyroloserkid put it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
im not sure, but I think its not tech skill or mindgames.
its playing smart.
playing smart=not making mistakes, reading your opponent, learning game knowledge (percentages, fall speeds)

is learned through experience.

you can learn every advanced technique, and you could sit down with mew2king, ken, and pc chris altogether and have them dictate to each and everyone of their mindgames

and still get destroyed, if you don't play smart. You honestly don't NEED really complex mindgames, if you're playing excessively smart. mindgames and tech skill definitely help, but I think they take a backseat to just simply intelligent playing
you'd be suprised how much a simple wavedash to f-smash works if you just pick a smart time to do it.

i mean when I play marth, I do the same dash dance grab mindgames that mew2king does, but he's got far more experience in knowing the ins and outs of dash dance grabs and how to follow up.

6th Sense

Smash Lord
Its not all about wavedashing, tech skill, mind games, or even sometimes experience. It's more about knowing the game. Playing very precisely and playing with an open mind is key!! Lots of people miss opportunities because they have their mind set on playing a certain way. Doing stupid **** after you've won like spiking somebody with falco while their falling to their doom is great. In my opinion it breaks the ice. You could do something similar during the match that you never would have done if you just play in a very linear fashion.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
I understand that and you'r right at that point. But remember too that, experience work's bassed on three different points. Those are tactic, technique, and, analizing the game, not the other players mid, the game, and at watcing at the game, ull remember in ur unconcius all the players u have played before, and try to apply techniques that u already applyed with other peoples characters.. There are many different kinds of styles, but there are not many different charaters, so combos are almost the same...

There are many points in all the matches, because of lvl adventages, characters adventages, but, in the final, all that takes to win is the experience man..

Serius, i think that, is nos only the exeriece, is the fact that, u practiced with people things u idnt knwo u could do in with your imagination, and that cannot stop, because when the inspirations cuts, u wont be able to do a lot of things..

Something that should have happened to a lot of poeple in this orum is, that, there are days that, u paly and u think you are playing good, but, you ont know why, you are not winning and you see that, you are doin all pretty fine ?, thats because u have to think about all the players u have playd aaaand, imagine what u can do each second of the fight, isnt just experience, its imagination and, many points more..

peachori

Smash Journeyman
i too get pissed off at people calling everything "mindgames" but thats essentially what it amounts to. in basketball, its "court vision." in football, its "field vision" or "awareness." these are all manifestations of the same phenomena: the ability to successfully predict your opponents next move, based on previously observed tendencies, in order to gain a competitive advantage. its just that in the smash world, these are often called "mindgames."

when you play CPUs, you can pick up on their tendencies and punish accordingly. being computers, they cannot do the same to you. human opponents, however, can do the same thing to you and thus you are engaged in a battle of wits. of course, the more situations you've been in, the more comfortable you'll be making a prediction at any given time. experience, intellect, awareness, being observant and beng capable to punish are all commonly blanketed under "mindgames" in the smash lexicon. thats why everyone always says that you're nothing without mindgames.

Binx

Smash Master
The term mindgames has become a blanket term for pretty much all skills in smash, prediction is mindgames unpredictability is mindgames mistakes are mindgames tech skill is green button mindgames.... Serioulsy though experience is very important, there are tons of different experiences and tons of different play styles, the more you experience the more you can asimilate into your style and have it evolve and grow into something rediculous.

Top Bottom