• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A humble plea to the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronowolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3059-1564
First of all, I would like to commend the great work the mods have done for the Link boards. The stickies are very clear, the master guides/threads are super well organized, and pretty much all relevant content concerning our favorite Hyrulian warrior can be found here. It clearly takes a sizable amount of time to keep everything up to date and I, for one, have been able to improve substantially due to this.

However, I don't ever contribute to the boards. Now, not to try and brag but I'm not a scrub with Link. Since I am developing secondaries, my win rate in FG is only 75%. However, my last 50 games (Link only) I have a 96% win rate and a 93% win rate for the past 100 games. That's while purposefully looking for players that could take me out (We all know FG is not exactly stocked full of worthy opponents). Again, I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I think I (and many others) could really contribute to the great community here.

Having said all this, I would like for you to consider letting a wider variety of new threads be posted here. While I greatly appreciate useless threads such as 'You Links should stop camping brah' being deleted, there is a lot of good that comes out of (constructive) new threads.

It keeps things fresh. It's a bit of a drag having to go to page 13 of a thread that started in November and have to sift through tons of irrelevant and outdated posts. Even worse is when you find something that you want to respond to...that is 3 months old. New threads, even on older topics, keep the boards 'alive' with new topical discussions.

Every single topic cannot be in the list of master threads. And sharing the bigger Q & A threads can be tedious at best with 3 or 4 other conversations going on simultaneously. Sometimes you just wanna see discussion around a specific topic.

New threads keep the boards more exciting. Opening up Smashboards and seeing a new interesting thread really keeps forums energized. Seeing the same old threads day after day can get old. Wouldn't it be cool to open up the Link boards and see 'Cool new combo I haven't even seen competitive players use [vs. Diddy]' Sure it could go in another existing thread, but then very few people would actually even SEE it. Wouldn't it be better if there was just a new thread?

This is a relatively new game. Now is our chance to really grow our community as Link mains since Link is FINALLY not at the bottom of the trash tier. With more people playing Link, there's a shot he could see competitive play one day.

Again, thanks for all the work you do here. Smashboards is pretty much where competitive smash lives, so there is really no other viable alternative to this board.It's obviously your decision on whether or not to open things up a tad, but I hope you strongly consider it.

I'm purposely posting this a bit late so that hopefully this can get some discussion in case it gets locked, so please discuss!

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Why couldn't you post this in social? This is exactly why they lock threads like this.

Cronowolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3059-1564
That's kinda the point honestly. The entire reason I wrote this is so we can make new posts.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
However, I don't ever contribute to the boards. Now, not to try and brag but I'm not a scrub with Link. Since I am developing secondaries, my win rate in FG is only 75%. However, my last 50 games (Link only) I have a 96% win rate and a 93% win rate for the past 100 games. That's while purposefully looking for players that could take me out (We all know FG is not exactly stocked full of worthy opponents).
"My win rate on For Glory is high, so I have a lot to contribute." You're not particularly convincing with this piece of reasoning!

All the relevant information is neatly stored in stickies, instead of being lost in forgotten threads. That is far more effective. As for the "excitement" it adds to the forum, I contest the claim. Take a page from Mr. Ruskin:
Love of excitement is so far from being love of beauty, that it ends always in a joy in its exact reverse; joy in destruction,—as of my poor roses,—or in actual details of death; until, in the literature of the day, ”nothing is too dreadful, or too trivial, for the greed of the public.”
Actually, take another one:
As the true knowledge is disciplined and tested knowledge,—not the first thought that comes,—so the true passion is disciplined and tested passion,—not the first passion that comes. The first that come are the vain, the false, the treacherous; if you yield to them they will lead you wildly and far in vain pursuit, in hollow enthusiasm, till you have no true purpose and no true passion left. Not that any feeling possible to humanity is in itself wrong, but only wrong when undisciplined. Its nobility is in its force and justice; it is wrong when it is weak, and felt for paltry cause.
I must say, however, that I admire your guts in making this a new thread, and then strategically posting it late. I think I'd like to have you around -- let's just say we disagree.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
I appreciate your concern, now feast upon my response.

The mods aren't doing this to limit the boards or anything. Its out of experience, many of the Link mains on this board have been around for over 6 years. We've seen what happens when we are lenient on what becomse new threads. Most of the people who make new threads haven't bothered to read any of the stickies so it just becomes a repost of what is already known.

It is allowed to make new threads, but only if its serves a reasonable purpose like the stage discussion list or the matchup threads. It is also allowed to post a new thread if you've made a big new discovery maybe an AT that was previously unknown.

Allowing spam to fill up the boards is not gonna make things more alive/exciting. You don't make a town more alive/exciting by engulfing it in sewage, and it certainly does not make it more fresh.

Regarding your combo example, if theres a constant influx of new threads the combo thread will eventually run out of flaming replies in which it will be buried. You'll have the same problem again that you'll have to go through the board pages to find "good" stuff. You could argue that you could add it to the video archive, but then we could have done that in the first place and avoided a thread.

Your Q&A complaint is a bit funny, because we've already decided through discussion in there that we need a combo DI thread. The Q&A is mostly for simple questions and not discussions and if something needs more work its a possibility for it to turn into its own thread. It therefore can encourage more discussion about a certain topic.

and I disagree I think Link is low tier :$

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@ Cronowolf Cronowolf : On the contrary. I'm more than open to people making new threads where I believe they are necessary so long as they are done well. This thread is not necessary so it has been locked. Feel free to discuss this in the social and if you ever want to speak to the mods, why not actually speak directly to us via private messages? We don't bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom