• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to Playing Smash Competitively

dingle

Smash Rookie
I've been playing for a few months with no intention of playing competetively. Lately, I have decided to move into this area and try to become a competetive smashers. I live with 3 guys in my apartment, which are all ranked in my state. I notice that I have gotten better but still get frustrated often. My cousin plays as R.O.B., I cannot seem to beat him as Dedede (being a fair match from what I've seen).

I understand that this is no Dedede thread; however I still don't know too much of the mechanics to D3.

tactics against R.O.B, Snake and Kirby would be much appreciated. Also, general tips!

Message me please or post a reply, thanks.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I really don't know anything about playing as DDD, nor what he does against those characters. The DDD boards probably have a Q&A thread or discussion thread where actual players of DDD can help you.

ayoqocx

Smash Rookie
well written, helpful, and the slightest bit humorous. Great article, helped me a lot

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Just camp a whole lot, pick MK, press B, and hit down on the C-stick until it hits. That's how you do it.
I know a bit about MK myself, as you can see by my collaboration with this in-depth guide of yours, Mocha. :bee:

HMD

Smash Journeyman
Why do u guys think mk takes no skill at all. Maybe you should brawl agnst or just shut up.

Kantō

Smash Champion
this i awseome, you put a lot of time and thought into this, i have only read some of it, but i will have to take the time and actually read this fully when i have more time

kool guide (:

Paralys

Smash Rookie
Before picking up Brawl I was a long time Street Fighter addict, so the change in game play initially felt very foreign to me. There's a certain mindset you have to have when playing any fighting game, especially concerning "Yomi". I think this guide has certainly helped me translate the same mindset I have when playing Street Fighter into Brawl terms. Also, I learned a fair bit and appreciate all the great links to other threads/outside information. Thanks for the great post. :)

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Before picking up Brawl I was a long time Street Fighter addict, so the change in game play initially felt very foreign to me. There's a certain mindset you have to have when playing any fighting game, especially concerning "Yomi". I think this guide has certainly helped me translate the same mindset I have when playing Street Fighter into Brawl terms. Also, I learned a fair bit and appreciate all the great links to other threads/outside information. Thanks for the great post. :)
Same with me too bro.
I play Third Strike alot.....so the mindgame/playstyle was different 3's than brawl.
I've also played Melee alot so getting used to the physics in brawl was a challenge, even to this day.
I've gotten up to par myself.
It's just that I've fallen victim to a lot of stuff I normally shouldn't.
For example, I'm having difficulty against MK. Not just MK in general, just how people play MK differently. I've played DOJO"s metaknight, but it's not the same as playing Lee Martin's MK, so over time i've had to really know what I"m doing. That also is the same when you go against Diddy Kong players. But surely overtime I've gotten then hang of it and now I know what it means to be a great SSBB player.

Surrender

Smash Rookie
wow, that was greatly helpful and really opened up my eyes to some of the things I have had trouble with.. excellent post :)

Godzilla140

Smash Rookie
whats di

is di the thing when you get knocked off the map and you do to stay on ??
if it is how do you make it so you can stay on with higher % while using a game cube controller?
someone at the first tornement i went to was talking to me about it and i had no idea how to do it could anyone explain it for me and send me a private message because i have no idea how to follow up on my replies thanks.:chuckle:

Briimstone

Smash Rookie
Awesome, great read! I just started getting in to competitive brawl, and this guide helped tremendously! Thank you!

Boofy!

Smash Champion
holy bump of doom lol.. im not a mod so idc but you should watch for when these threads were made/last posted in to avoid bumping one this old

Briimstone

Smash Rookie
holy bump of doom lol.. im not a mod so idc but you should watch for when these threads were made/last posted in to avoid bumping one this old
Yikes, didn't even notice! Sorry guys. I'll be more careful with my posts now.

Top Bottom