• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

A Guide to Mario In PM

wadebarrett89101

Smash Rookie
wadebarrett89101 submitted a new guide:

A Guide to Mario In PM - I will tell you all the tips I use as Mario and have seen other people do.

These are for semi-expirenced players who know how to categorize attacks and know advanced tech, please no scrubs.
So first of all I want to talk about chain grabbing. Chain grabbing with Mario work well with characters with big hotboxes, and since Mario is so small, I suggest chain grabbing at low percents and use his downthrow. Talking more about throws, his back throw can kill early, like at 80 percent if close enough to the ledge. He is a basic character, and is fun to use. I suggest if...
Read more about this guide...

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
...this is really, weak.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

wadebarrett89101

Smash Rookie
I understand this is your first guide so I guess you can get off the hook for now. Don't worry the more guides you make the more you will understand how to make them. :)
I am actually fixing it now, adding a table of contents, and more. Thank you for pointing this out to me and I would love if you could check out the new version when it is complete.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I am actually fixing it now, adding a table of contents, and more. Thank you for pointing this out to me and I would love if you could check out the new version when it is complete.
Sure I will check it out. I check out many of the guides on smash boards to try and help authors like yourself to make your guide shine. :)

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
It is done!
Cool I just finished reading it, its coming along but not completely finished. One thing you need to do is list every single move. Here's a link to a guide that uses this format. http://smashboards.com/guides/who-ya-gonna-call-luigi-a-complete-guide.90/
See how he puts each move under a toggle tab. You should do this too. If it's possible for you to add pictures of the move in action by all means do that. Also he lists each move 1-3 in usefulness this will save you a lot time and words because your readers will know that something that is 3/3 is high priority.
Also you should have a section dedicated to combos. Write your combos like this:
Fair -> Bair -> Uair.
When written like this your audience can read it better. It also saves you a lot of time.

Last edited:

Keman

Smash Apprentice
Ok I don't want to be to harsh but.... as someone else said in the comments this guide seems very "weak". It does feel like the guide was thrown together in a short period of time. take this info as you will but hopefully you can use it to improve on any guides you decide to write in the future.

If you are going to make a guide and talk about chain grabbing just don't say "I suggest using Mario's down throw", maybe talk about the characters that down throw work on and to around what % people can normally escape them with good DI. Should also talk about upthrow chain grabs as we have them on spacies.

Next "I suggest to end your combo with a up smash" how do you end combos with upsmash? that seems really confusing to me. I never see boss or gallo seem to do that. Yes some times you can upsmash after a dash attack but to me it seems like uptilt works better in that situation.

In the whole guide you never once talk about D-Tilt which is one of Mario's best moves? Also sounds like you were fishing for Cons in the pro/con section? You have small hit box as a pro? (do you mean hurtbox?) having a smaller hitbox which he does have I guess would be a con as well as like maybe a smaller grab range?

Honestly it seems like this should be stuff that you would know to talk about if you were really going to make a decently in depth guide for Mario. Maybe I am completely in left field here, But I personally would like to see more time put into it if someone was going to write a guide for Mario over what we already have. I think I know a little bit about Mario but I would never consider myself knowledgeable enough to make a guide to teach people the correct way to play this character.

Edit: I see it was your first post. Maybe spend some time in other topics and post around the PM boards some before you delve right into making guides. I love more people being active in the PM community and posting on the boards wanting to help. Though it's best to not rush it and make sure you know Mario (or any character for any game) inside out and backwards before you delve into creating a guide for them.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Wouldn't recommend beginning your time on smashboards making guides. The ones for Mario that already exist are super handy and really all that's needed, imo.

Top Bottom