• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A grab question

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Well i have a few friends i play daily and everytime i grab them and go to attack them while in grab i maybe hit them once and they get off the grab somehow.But when they grab me and attack me while in grab i try to button mash out of it and still i get hit 1-3 times everytime!

I just wanted to know if there are easier ways of getting out of somebodys grab anybody know?

HolyChef

Smash Ace
youre not doing anything wrong. but it sounds like theyre grabbing you at certain percentages. for example if they have 0% damage and you grab and try to attack. thatll be a bad idea. but if theyre at 100% damage and you grab them. you can more than likely get a few hits off.

Edg

Smash Cadet
Generally for every 15% of damage on them you can safely hit them one time. To escape a grab you basically just hit tons of buttons... the faster you press the faster you get out.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What characters are you and they playing? "shocking" like from Mewtwo, Zelda, Pikachu, Pichu stuns for slightly longer (often allowing them one extra hit as compared with other characters). Ice climbers can infinite you this way (Wobbling). Also as said before, if you get grabbed at higher damage, they can hit you more times than if you're grabbed at lower damage.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i was under the impression that wiggling the control stick was the only way to break out of grabs. I don't think mashing any of the other buttons does anything.

shoe

Smash Ace
I think buttons and wiggling of the stick both counts, the stick deffinately has a large effect on the outcome. Carefull though, players tend to listen for the mashing and then throw you with a finishing throw knowing that chances are large that you're DI'ing it wrong. I often start making a lot of noise with the buttons while holding the stick for DI'ing a finishing throw.

Listening in general has an underestimated effect by the way, people can listen for your edgeroll, or hear you're not teching for example.

fox_reflect

Smash Cadet
yeah....but also...when your fox....if ya wait by the dge at the last second....and grab and press down...sometimes...they just fall straight down

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You lose 6 frames of grab time for every time you press A, B, L or R, X, Y, or Z. You also loose by tilting the control stick in any one of the cardinal directions. Characters that electrically shock you during a grab add on another 5 frames. If there is no shock, it adds 3 frames.

pdk

Smash Lord
there is really not much use in hitting people while grabbing them; it'll throw off them off guard after a while if they expect you to throw instantly (which is a much, much better idea all-around) but this benefit is lost because they'll come to instinctively start trying to escape when you grab them, whether you throw instantly or not

Top Bottom