• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a few ICs questions

DTR

Smash Journeyman
so after watching the ec/wc crew battles of genesis 2 i was like... omgwtf ICs look pretty awesome. i came to this board and learned all kind ICs stuff like desyncing and cgs but then when i got into a real match with my friend who isnt a lvl1 comp or my 11 y/o brother, nana is the dumbest thing i have ever had to deal with in smash. Basically, what i am trying to say is there is absolutely nothing in these boards about the basics which i am clueless about.

1. i have no idea how to recover. usually i just up b on to the stage and hope to god neither of us die. a lot of the times nana is tumbling and i cant up b so i die and if i wait for her to stop she jumps and screws me. any good tips on how to recover would be nice

2. nana never stays with me. i wd and dd a bit but i dont try to do anything too bad but a lot of the time she will jump or roll dodge somewhere or all kinds of other things while c. falcon knees her in the face. how should i go about keeping her with me and if she is seperated, what should i do to get them off of nana or get her synced again?

3. i cant find any different ways to egde guard. Are there ways of getting popo to grab the edge while nana attacks? i know you can make nana grab the edge for like 2 secs but thats it

any other basic IC techniques that i should know about would be appreciated

AIDS

Smash Lord
so after watching the ec/wc crew battles of genesis 2 i was like... omgwtf ICs look pretty awesome. i came to this board and learned all kind ICs stuff like desyncing and cgs but then when i got into a real match with my friend who isnt a lvl1 comp or my 11 y/o brother, nana is the dumbest thing i have ever had to deal with in smash. Basically, what i am trying to say is there is absolutely nothing in these boards about the basics which i am clueless about.

1. i have no idea how to recover. usually i just up b on to the stage and hope to god neither of us die. a lot of the times nana is tumbling and i cant up b so i die and if i wait for her to stop she jumps and screws me. any good tips on how to recover would be nice

2. nana never stays with me. i wd and dd a bit but i dont try to do anything too bad but a lot of the time she will jump or roll dodge somewhere or all kinds of other things while c. falcon knees her in the face. how should i go about keeping her with me and if she is seperated, what should i do to get them off of nana or get her synced again?

3. i cant find any different ways to egde guard. Are there ways of getting popo to grab the edge while nana attacks? i know you can make nana grab the edge for like 2 secs but thats it

any other basic IC techniques that i should know about would be appreciated
My advice is to watch video's on ice climbers for spotting techniques. Some threads here have the information you need, but I will try to do my best to help you here. For recovering I would suggest trying to stick with side B. just like Mario, Doc, and Luigi, the more you spam it during the move the higher you go. Also you will go higher easier with both where just Popo it is harder to get the same height. To mix up the recovery you can use side B, and as your going sideways maybe mix it up to not be predictable by staying in the spot in the middle then proceeding forward. Also if you recover side B with Popo alone and you land and Nana is waiting for you on the edge, you can down smash or anything as Popo is finishing his move and Nana will fallow up with the attack.
Up-B should only be used if it's your only way up, or perhaps could make you save Nana and you know she is close enough to you to do it.

The Desynce guide shows when you dash dance, Nana gets lost so they get desynced, and then she is a ****** and tries to find Popo. In that situation it is best to stay close to her and she will get back in sync with you. The other thing is you need to make people scared to touch Nana, you should make a habit of learning how to throw her out there as bait and using it to get those important grabs, smash attacks etc.

The idea in Desynce the best way I can put it is to perform a move near the end of some type of lag and Popo will not perform it but Nana will do it as she is ends her current moves lag as long as it is close to the end of it when you do the move on the controller. So try rolling backwards and pressing B, and if timed right(which is not hard, frame perfect etc) then only Nana will shoot her ice block, and as she is in lag hit B again and Popo will shoot his and then in his lag, make Nana do it again etc. In this case when Popo shoots the ice block and Nana is next, try something else like run forward and down B, Nana exits the box that you can control her in as she is in her down B move, then Nana is in the open, that is an oppertunity for her to be used as bait. Try it out and you will descover many other ways you can synce and be "cheesin" as Waffles says. Also FlyAminita does strategies like this a lot to put pressure/bait on other players. Try it out on your own free time and have fun with it.

About the edge guarding, down smash and Fsmash are pretty damn good and disjointed hit boxes. But other options are wait for them to get back on the edge and sometimes they can have a laggy recovery or as you perhaps wavedash in they might be scared of a downsmash and sheild, which is an opening for a grab, Good kill moves are down throw -> up smash/Fsmash, or just smashing out of a grab in general, or Back air is generally good also. But as I said, the best thing to do if you wanna be creative and learn ways to kill or anything, watch videos on youtube.

Binx

Smash Master
first question
For recovering you want to sweet spot with your double jump the same as most characters, if you can't do that then you need to decide whether to forward b, airdodge or up b to recover.

You can sometimes suprise people with up b and hit them with nana and get popo to a high ledge, this is useful if both climbers are at low percent and your worried about being gimped. Forward b can sometimes be used to recover with little risk, if you are solo climber you can mess with the di of your forward b to ledge cancel it, or to freefall to the ledge or to float past where they think you will be. Honestly though vs good opponents the majority of the time you won't be recovering unless they make big mistakes.

second question
As far as Nana desynching goes she will desynch after grabs, rolls, if you short hop fast fall and jump again before she lands, if you spot dodge, foward tilts the direction you are not facing, and several other times depending on hitlag. The more experience you get with ice climbers the more you can work with this instead of having it throw you off. For now all I can say is to pay attention to your Nana to learn when it happens to you.

Part b of the question is situational, you will want to save Nana or punish the opponent for hitting her depending on different things like stage position percent of you and opponent, number of stocks remaining and things like that. Most of the time I find it best to use her as bait, but if your opponent is expecting this you can throw them off by doing a quick attack or even by just crowding their space with a shield.

third question
You can throw off an ice block, leap off with a nair, leap off with a fair spike, leap off with back airs, grab the ledge then do a ledge hop with a down air(this works well on fox)

You can suicide nana with a blizzard to take some fast falling characters to their deaths, not often practical but super fun in friendlies.

Aggressive off the ledge edge guarding can be very risky because if nana is in hit lag your vertical recovery becomes very bad, its important to experiment to find when this will work and to aim all of your attacks off the edge very precisely.

You can desych have nana charge a smash and then wavedash on the ledge, its similar to having nana edgehog but has a different set of risks, Nana will always release the smash as you grab the ledge so time it close so they cant just land on the stage safely while you are off the ledge, thats a bad place for our little ****** buddies.

Top Bottom