• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A fake-out technique for mindgames?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find any relating thread. Forgive me if I missed it.

We all know that during the running animation after the initial dash, if your press directly backwards you'll do a turning animation, slide a little bit, and run the other direction. However, I've noticed that If your jump at the correct time during the turning animation, you will appear to be turning, but the jump will turn you around to face your original direction. After, appearing to be turning, your opponent may pursue you, at which time you may jump out of the turning animation and counter with a Nair, or better yet, a Fair.

The one problem I could see with this, is that you would have to be fighting an opponent with quick reflexes to notice the turning animation in time to attempt an attack.
I have yet to implement this in a match, but I would like to hear what you guys think, and if it could be practical in any way.

If this idea just sux, it won't hurt my feelings if you say so, so go for it, lol.

Edit: I just found a similar technique in a fox guide referred to as a "Flip slide" except it just says to WD from the turning animation to cancel it.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this tactic is not unheard of - and is used actively by good players. Ganon especially requires lots of mindgames, so this is nice to incorporate into mindgames.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
this seems like a great tactic of trickery and deceit. I can see my self using this against people that dash attack and dash grab alot, sheiks and marths particularly.

when your back is turned you lose the ability to grab, so they may go in for the dash attack (I like to grab sheiks as they dash attack me) but this will get you airborn with means you'll need to bust a move fast or they's get you, so I suggest using an Uair, it covers the area below you at the very beginning of the attack.

Agile

Smash Rookie
this seems like a great tactic of trickery and deceit. I can see my self using this against people that dash attack and dash grab alot, sheiks and marths particularly.

when your back is turned you lose the ability to grab, so they may go in for the dash attack (I like to grab sheiks as they dash attack me) but this will get you airborn with means you'll need to bust a move fast or they's get you, so I suggest using an Uair, it covers the area below you at the very beginning of the attack.

EDIT: This is CluelessBTD, BTW

Thx for opening my eyes to another possibility. You actually CAN grab with your back turned using this technique. If you jump cancel a grab during your turning animation, it will turn you around and allow you to grab your opponent by suprise! If you can pull that off, however, you must be an F'in G, lol

technomancer

Smash Champion
The bad part about this is that any attack your opponent ques up will own you unless you jump and airdodge, because you can't shield and G-man has no fast aerials. I <3 kneeing people out of random laggy animations.

Top Bottom