• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A couple new (or not) interesting techniques

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,
Since the ness boards haven't come up with any new ATs or anything, I thought i'd share a couple stuff I found recently when playing. They may or may not be known, but even if it is not new, the refresher will probably be useful to some people. I have two things to share :D

1. fair->foot stool

this is something I've been doing lately, mainly to heavy people such as snake. At low percentages, about less than 30%, if you do a clean short hop fair where every hitbox hits, you can follow up with a footstool. This is very useful, because if you can read your opponent, this can result in very easy gimps/meteor spikes. This IS DIable!! however, most people will not react in time to make a significant difference, and because of the hitstun that the fair gives, the follow up to the footstool seems to be a true combo (if they don't DI). Just something I'd thought to share you guys. Next.

2. Smashville platform + metaknight + grab release = bat in the face

I don't recall reading this one anywhere on the ness boards, so I thought I'd share. I did not test with any other character. using movement of the platform, if you air grab release them, you can automatically bat a metaknight. this can result in very early kills if done at the edge of the stages. For those of you who don't know, air grab release will occur if you don't pummel, and your opponent tries to get out, OR if you hang them over the ledge/platform, it will happen as long as you don't pummel. I believe there isn't much else to say about this one, other than it is situational, but very useful.

small stuff, but great stuff. hopefully you guys find some use in these :]

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
I always wondered if Ness could do that on the SV platform. I know other characters can do it to MK as well. I was too lazy to test it and it's situational.
The problem with it is that the MK can either mash out when the platform is slowing/on the ends or moving in the wrong direction. They can also just wait to mash out until they are safe. Either way though, it should be tried first and if you know you're not going to get it, proceed with a throw.
Idk if anyone has mentioned this in the Ness boards. Thanks kenny.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Fair >fs makes sense... I get it a lot when my opponent keeps their shield up.

The sv platform thing makes sense, but as said, needs testing.

Good stuff. xD

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Nice finds, I knew about both, but I just am too lazy to do fair > footstool.

I've done the SV one before and it's extremely helpful. Good **** Ken.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
My favorite combo is Dthrow -> Uair. A nice alternative to a Bthrow at near-kill percentages since you get extra damage in and probably catch them off guard with it, since most people expect a simple Bthrow kill. Also better in the center of the stage.

I also like getting someone trapped in PK Fire and then using PKT2 on them, but it generally has a low success rate. Fun combo no less.

Thanks Kenny, good to know though.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
1337-0!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

Also, I have a random thing: can we create a thread for people who find random discoveries to post stuff in? Not like we can do too much more with ness than EB360/ref/EB0/The early nessers have already done, but we could put these kinds of things and other things that may need clarification on success all in one place.

I can also put my discoveries of moves like dtilt and psimag and even PKJUMP!!! in that thread.

EDIT: PKJUMP has been almost fully tested by EB360... I can't say he didn't do that. I just wanna try and get you guys to use it again. IT IS A SICK TECHNIQUE IF USED RIGHT!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
...sweet I'm remember XD
If you're gonna PK Jump, however, dont forget that lag cancel. If you dont, prepare for *** whoopin.

And man I wish I knew about this a while back. Actually, I knew about the footstool thingy (I even made a video of it a long time ago on Youtube, which is now cluttered with my Megaman and Saki videos from TvC), but the bat thing sounds hilarious.

I've had multiple grab releases on that stage on a plethora of different opponents, but I just never tried bat thinking "oh that's just rediculous." If you say it's viable I'll give it a shot, I've usually grab released into aerials in the past.

Top Bottom