• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Cool Thought about Alternative Costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saferwaters

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I was reading through some stuff about Dr. Mario being an alternative costume for Mario or something and tried to visualize it. Then I thought about pills instead of fire balls but I still imagined them bouncing like the pills. So I thought of this:
What if alternative costumes were basically the same characters but with different attributes instead? Like Mario would get a Dr. Mario costume and changing some of his attributes. Though it would "reduce" the amount of characters... in reality it would get rid of some clones but it would actually increase the amount of options. Maybe Samus would get a Black Suit (i cant remember the name... its the best one... Phase Suit?... no) they would like increase her power of kicks but restrict her missles to deal less damage or something. If you think about it, thats all that clones are... changing those attributes of speed and power to make characters available to everyone's play style. But wouldn 't it make more sense to have a costume change be the "clones" instead.
Obviously this doesn't "work" with all clones since Falco is not just Fox in a bird suit and Mario isn't just a red Luigi. But many would.... like Linkin and Young Link.... Marth and Roy could be combined into a character where u just change their sword or something.... Gannon could have his "alternative" costume be something using that massive sword they like to taught us with....

In the end... it's not as good of an idea as I thought it was when I originally thought of it but Oh well. Thoughts on this?

WR3K

Smash Ace
that would make things to advanced... limit the amount of full fledged characters we have, and stop us from simply looking different without having to play differently

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
This is a really old debate, and (from what I've gathered) most people seem to feel it would needlessly complicate the game. If you're going to change attributes and costumes, why not just make a clone. It just seems too half-hearted.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
ya, dont change the attributes. im all for people having new looks (like a roy skin on marth...a doc skin on mario)...

but do NOT change the way the character works.

DarkFr0g

Smash Apprentice
Not a bad idea, but it'd take away from the simple arcadeyness of SSB. Also, with the complexity and difference of every character's moves, one build that would emphasize damage for the long-range/versatile moves would probably outbeat all the other ones. Plus, pretty much only Mario and Samus have alternate egos. What would Ice Climbers and Luigi have?

Besides, it'd be pretty annoying seeing people saying that "Mario B", "Samus D" or "Pikachu A" are they're favorite characters, or saying that "Ken is the best Marth C player!" And it'd make tournament videos sound dumb also, like "ChuDat (Wario-B) vs DarkFrog (Wario-D)".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom