• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A coin flip won't do, so Ganons, help me decide!

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
I have a pair of tournaments (my first real ones with SWF rules) coming up, and I'm having a difficult time deciding who I should main: Ganon or Ness. I love playing both for different reasons, and both are doing well in practice and over Wi Fi, even though WiFi doesn't count really.

It's a very hard choice, as I'd like to do my best to promote both mains. I've certainly learned a lot more from the Ganon boards compared to the Ness boards (although I've learned from there too), and I'd like to hope I'm decent enough to stay competitive with both of them.

What makes it harder is the rules ban any sort of chaingrabbing, limiting it to 3 regrabs, so some of the harder matchups for them, Falco and Marth, aren't as bad.

So, since my game has improved the most because of the Ganon boards, I turn to it first. Ganon is epic and fun, Ness is PK Thunderlicious and fun. Do you have any words that would help me decide?

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather use one as an actual secondary than just alternate back and forth.

I'm pretty confident with both, which is the root of my dilemma.

:034:

Smash Hero
Are you kidding me? You're on the GANONDORF boards. What do you THINK we're gonna say?!

hint: Kalm will tell you to use Ness

But really, use the ones that you feel more comfortable with for certain match-ups. If you think you have a better chance against, say, D3, with Ness than with Ganon, use Ness. And vice versa.

But overall, if you play Ganondorf people will notice you a lot more. He's like Falcon - people really like Ganny and seeing a Ganondorf play, so they'll cheer for you more easily as well.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Geheh I know it was rigged to ask the Ganon boards whether I should use someone else or not.

I think I'll probably use Ganon just because he draws attention., and push Ness to my secondary. The reason I picked Ganon in the first place was because he was valued so low. It definitely takes some sort of skill to get a handle on him, and much more to actually win with him. It's never any fun playing top tier characters.

I hope I do Ganon proud. I'm not particularly freaked out by any specific matches, I just know which characters I have the worst odds with, and that hopefully I won't make any big blunders like jumping into the raep.

Any other words of advice from the Sages of Evil on a first Brawl tournament?

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Ganon all the way.

You shouldn't expect much from your first tournament, it's a learning experience.
Play serious though or prepared to get laughed at.

B!squick

Smash Master
It's a pair of tournaments, right? Use Ganon in one and Ness in the other, problem solved. Or just use Ganon, he's cooler.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Do you like playing meditatively or actively? Like to jump or like to shoot down aerialists?

Do you *NEED* to spike? :laugh:

What does your ideal match finish look like? A star KO? An epic edgeguard exchange? Straight horizontal power?

Does techchasing make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? or cold and dark, like an apocalyptic nether-realm abyss of unholy soul-burning flame (you know, make you excited) ?

Do you like poking, or are you in it for the murder?

Luccie

Smash Cadet
Even though I play as neither, I prefer Ganondorf mostly because sucky players like me can't block his recovery.

Plus, who looks better? Some weenie little kid who can shoot little lasers out of his fingers (pew pew), or some 80 year old man who shoots thunder from everywhere in his body?

@HomE

Smash Ace
Do you like playing meditatively or actively? Like to jump or like to shoot down aerialists?

Do you *NEED* to spike? :laugh:

What does your ideal match finish look like? A star KO? An epic edgeguard exchange? Straight horizontal power?

Does techchasing make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? or cold and dark, like an apocalyptic nether-realm abyss of unholy soul-burning flame (you know, make you excited) ?

Do you like poking, or are you in it for the murder?
I would have to say your posts are definatly my favorite to read :cool:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I'd say pick your character according to the matchup, but then I remembered Ganon HAS no good matchups.

So if you're looking to win money in these tourneys, the best bet (statistically) would be Ness. Repping the Dorf will get you MAD respect though, both on these forums and at the tournaments.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Ganon all the way.

You shouldn't expect much from your first tournament, it's a learning experience.
Play serious though or prepared to get laughed at.
You were right, it was a learning experience, and quite a fun one at that. The friendlies I did much better with Ganon, though. That's where I got most of my compliments. I even played against someone who said "Yeah...I've never even played a Ganon, so I have no idea what he can do." Boy did I have fun with that.

I got a insta-win first round, my opponent never showed, and then played a Falco, which made me want to hurl the controller, but it still was an okay match. The guy was pretty good (goes by Ryyudo on SWF) and complimented my Ganon after the match. I thought I did pretty well for going against Falco, I somehow recovered from two or three spikes really well, lasting through the chain grabbing while punishing when I could. I was a little jittery, but I really think I could have kept up with him better if I attend a few more tournaments.

I felt I didn't do as well as I wanted with Ganon, so I made the mistake of switching to Jigglypuff to get around the chaingrabs that were racking up a lot of the initial damage, because I play a very good defensive game with my Jiggs. Bad move on my part. Since I haven't played enough solidly good people yet that I don't play all the time, I wasn't adapting my play as quickly as I should have.

But, overall, I enjoyed my first tournament experience. I frustrated some, I seemed to impress a few, and got my *** handed to me enough times to learn from it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

TP

Smash Master
So Goten, what was your actual placing? And how many people were in it? The same applies for MoblinMan if he sees this.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
No idea what I placed, I'll bug Cutthroat about it today/tomorrow, or better yet, I'll bug the Colorado thread. There was something around 25 that showed.

Top Bottom