• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Clone Avoided: Waluigi Joins the Assist Trophies

D

Deleted member

Oh well...:(

It might take a while, but I'm certain Waluigi will be in the next Smash.

As for now, he looks cool. Waluigi is not the kind of guy to be put off by not being playable, he'll still be awesome. I can see my friends howling loudly when their Ike gets on the wrong side of Waluigi's leg.

Smash Ace
Hmmm... something tells me that some of the AT characters will be playable in a sequel, assuming there will be one...
=2007=

Aguasatori

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... something tells me that some of the AT characters will be playable in a sequel, assuming there will be one...
=2007=
For Sakurai's sake, there better be a sequel.

And a new official site with GOOD updates.

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
"Listen, Ford. Everything's cool and froody.""You mean everything's under control.""No, I do not mean everything's under control. That would not be cool and froody."- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Ha ha! I can't wait to see some "hard-core" gamer get pwned by Waluigi. :laugh: Though, still, he was too dorky to be playable. And what is up with the Peach obsession!?! It's driving me up the wall! And, to some, these would be good updates. Stop whining. And Stafy is a DORK!!! I can't wait to pound it with Kirby! :demon: :coolmonkey: :kirby: :enforcer:

Tedius Zanarukando

Smash Apprentice
For the translation that says, "The fact that he is an Assist Trophy means that he will not be appearing as a playable character", there are several interpretations on this on the other versions of the Smash Bros. Dojo. Most of those other language translations translate into "If he is an Assist Trophy, that means you cannot play as him." The official English translation did not necessarily interpret that the fact that Waluigi is an Assist Trophy means that he will never appear in a future Super Smash Bros. game as a playable character. Charizard appeared in the previous Super Smash Bros. games as a Pokéball, but will appear as a playable component of Pokémon Trainer alongside Ivysaur and Squirtle.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
when i saw the name ''Waluigi'' i was like ,OMG CHARACTER,but the WARNING CHARACTER APPROACHING didnt appear,HE is an assist trophy!,this sucks HARD! even though ,he is awesome,but not worth a character

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I feel kinda bad for Waluigi to a degree...I mean...people want him to be a main bad guy in a Mario game, like a platformer one, but if he was, people would say "Ugh, Waluigi's the bad guy? How lame! Where's Bowser?!" Brawl was Waluigi's chance to really break away and maybe develop a larger fanbase...On topic however, Waluigi actually looks like a REALLY useful Assist Trophy...

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
It's nice to see Waluigi as an Assist Trophy, and an awesome one at that. You can't get much cooler than stomping your opponents into the ground. Seriously.

And now the other 1% is filled and Waluigi is 100% not playable. That's a bit of a plus, just so we don't have people saying he's likely just because we have Mario, Luigi, and Wario.

Also, interestingly enough, Sakurai has Waluigi categorized as a MARIO character rather than Wario. What can this mean?

Sakurai did confirm for all of us with no error in translation that if a character is indeed an Assist Trophy they will never be a playable character. Anyways, let’s get down to this update here.
Uh, what? Sakurai did that when he first introduced Assist Trophies.

"Bear in mind, though, that you can’t control any of the characters appearing on these pages. Let there be no mistake about that."

Sounds pretty clear and translation error-free to me.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Judging by the posts in the Stafy topic people are having a hard time finding this one.

Also, interestingly enough, Sakurai has Waluigi categorized as a MARIO character rather than Wario. What can this mean?
Well I think Wario is just representing the Wario-Ware series, and Waluigi isn't in any of those games that I know of.

And what's with people mistaking assist trophy and pokemon updates for character updates? The dojo clearly marks on both sides of the update what kind it is.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I'm afraid I don't understand this. Sakurai never said he would remove the clones. He never specified which characters he would remove at all. He did, however, say that those that are returning he will try to make them less clone-like. Luigi doesn't even have a chance of not returning. He's too important. Not having in this game would not make any sense at all.

Besides, Luigi wasn't even a clone in Melee. He had his own category we like to call "Luigi-fied".
I know this. He said he was going to get rid of their clone-like mannerisms is what I mean. Why do people always mis-interpret where I'm coming from? :urg: I'm just saying that there's a possibility that Luigi isn't in if he doesn't get an original set, not that he can't get in because he was in another smash game as a clone! I am a supporter of Luigi in Brawl, I'm just looking at the facts people. Btw, I have been aware of that category for a very long time thank you very much and I'm not sure it seems too good to use. The only differences Luigi has from Mario in Melee is that Luigi can jump higher, he has one different move and a different taunt. Not much...

maxieman

Smash Ace
I just hope Waluigi will either

A) get his own game

B) Be a main boss in a real game

C) FINALLY BE ACCEPTED BY WARIO

and then finally my love for waluigi will be complete

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
^^^^

LOL at C. Accepted by Wario XD

*Wario is at his office, his phone rings*
Wario: Wario from Wario Ware speaking!!
Walugi: It's me, Waluigi, I was wondering about that job offer...
Wario: Wha?
Walugi: You know, when Wario Ware started, and I wanted a spot...
Wario: Oh.
Waluigi: I mean, you said there were no spots free..
Wario:...
Walugi: But now it seems everyone and their mom is getting before me... I mean, from where do you know Ashley?
Wario: Yeah, Umm, the company is going through a tunnel. asdñlkjeqf... I can't get youclearlyasdf.ashkljh... we'll alñj call you.ñjñlkj
*Wario slams phone and disconnects it*
Wario: Time to change the **** number again. Agh, that loser...

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't exactly rooting for Waluigi myself,
but would it really have been that bad if he had been playable?

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
He has the Mario icon which is odd. Wario's icon would have made more sense.

I suppose Waluigi is and always will be a Mario spin off character with no canon relation to Wario.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
He has the Mario icon which is odd. Wario's icon would have made more sense.
Yeah, because he appeared in the Wario Ware Games... That brings me to something else: Is anyone besides me not really happy about getting the Wario Ware Wario and not the classic one?

Aguasatori

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, because he appeared in the Wario Ware Games... That brings me to something else: Is anyone besides me not really happy about getting the Wario Ware Wario and not the classic one?
The classic one probably would have been a Mario clone.

The Wario Ware Wario is really unique.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
we have no indication the "w" is for Wario Ware. I was under the impression it was any Wario game and not just Wario Ware because it doesn't use the Wario Bomb from Wario Ware as an icon.

From appearences wario uses a blend of wario ware and classic moves, so I think everyone will be happy.

SMRPG1

Smash Cadet
I'm just very glad that Waluigi didn't make it as a playable character. If there had to be one character who I never wanted as a character, it would be him. Thank gosh he's just a Assist Trophy.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
The classic one probably would have been a Mario clone.

The Wario Ware Wario is really unique.
Classics Wario is pretty unique also.
Fore one thing he uses his strength more than he does his agility.
He doesn't normally jump on his enemies he runs right through them.

He also is known for his odd costumes that give him different powers.
which would be similar to mario, but I don't think they have any of the same costumes.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
I was extremely dissapointed by this update. Waluigi is one of the greatest characters of all time! I really wish he could have been playable :(, he is 1000 times better than Wario in a every way, and could have EASILY not been a clone..to anyone.

He is VERY unique, so him being a clone makes absolutely no sense at all. He is really tall, and skinny, with flimsy arms and legs. Nobody else is like that.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
Uh, what? Sakurai did that when he first introduced Assist Trophies.

"Bear in mind, though, that you can’t control any of the characters appearing on these pages. Let there be no mistake about that."

Sounds pretty clear and translation error-free to me.
That's not the same thing, it's only saying that you can't control assist trophies. The new update says that 'if it's an AT it will NOT be a separate playable character in addition.'

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I'd have loved Waluigi playable, but assist trophy is better than nothing. That's really good for someone with no mainstream appearances.

Who knows, if they make a fourth game, maybe assist trophies will have the best shots at being playable. Waluigi's chances would've been boosted if they would've put him in a WarioWare game.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Waluigi: You wanted to see me Mr. Miyamoto?
Miyamoto: Yes, glad you came Waluigi, sit please. *takes out chart* According to this...you're not very popular.
Waluigi: Well I HAVE only been in the Mario spin-off games...See, what I was thinking was that I could be a main enemy maybe?
Miyamoto: Well that's a wonderful idea! *checks papers* Hmm...How about...New Super Mario Brothers?
Bowser Jr.: HEY! I already called that one!
Miyamoto: Hmm...Super Mario Galaxy?
Bowser Jr.: Me and poppa already called that one too!
Miyamoto: Well...since Luigi's never going to have his own game again after Mansion...how about this one?
Waluigi: Are you serious...?
Miyamoto: *nods* ............Get on your dancing shoes...
Waluigi:..........**** this I quit.

Top Bottom