• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A character you're simply better with than your main?

P-J

Smash Rookie
Confession time: I love using Lucina. Her spacing is super fun and her combos feel rewarding since usuallly they're attributed to solid gameplay or bad DI by the opponent. HOWEVER. I'm way better with Charizard. He survives way longer and has easy kills (grab and up-throw at <110% with rage is a guaranteed kill pretty much).

If an opponent is giving me a hard time, a switch to Zard usually gives me better results than good ol' Lucy.

Does anyone else have this "scenario" in their gameplay?

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
If you do better with Charizard than Lucina, you may as well play Charizard and keep Lucina as a secondary

P-J

Smash Rookie
I think it's more that Charizard is a less common matchup for opponents and his playstyle can be "gimmicky" for a lack of a better term, so I get better results with him. He's definitely not as fun to play with for me, so that's why I don't "main" him. To be fair, a well placed side-B is probably the most rewarding kill option he has. Lucina's perfect hitbox down-air spike is right up there as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Remi45

Smash Rookie
Same here actually, I love Olimar, but usually do better with villager or rosalina...

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
My main is certainly Peach, and villager and mega man are my subs, but on some odd days I do far better as Luigi than either of them. Sometimes if I feel threatened I'll pick Luigi because i feel safe. It's weird.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Well, there's Marth, who's obviously the better character. I feel like I'm adapting to his spacing a lot and I feel so satisfied tipping things from left to right. Heck, he might even be considered replacing Lucina as my own main! I also feel the same way about Corrin (though not by much) and occasionally Shulk too.

There were sometimes when I feel I do the rush-down job better as Roy, though most of the time he's more of a bait and punish character.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I might potentially do better with Mario and Cloud than Ness simply because they're stronger characters.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
For a while my Ryu was better than my Marth, but now they are both at about the same level (my Marth is slightly better but not that noticable).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I suddenly had a surge of fighting for my friends. I wouldn't consider him a main but I've been doing better with him lately than anyone else, even Ness/Lucas... Which is surprising

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I dunno, I'm slowly coming back to Smash yes I do realise that is a bit of a mistake and I feel like :4lucina:is welcoming me back far better than :4mario:is, even though that really shouldn't be the case considering I've been playing Mario for nearly 10 years and Lucie for barely 10 months. Lucina fits me like a glove, nowadays, because my playstyle always involved short combos and finishing off my opponent as early as possible with a Smash read, and turns out Lucina has the best Side Smash in the game, pretty much, so she suits me.
BTW, I still firmly believe Lucie can be just as capable as Marth, but that might be a disucussion for a different thread.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
:4dedede:. I think it's mainly false sense of confidence though just because he lives so long and is so hard to gimp.

CnSyren

Smash Rookie
I'm a cloud main, but when I had to play my friends really good villager (I usually lose) without the dlc I pulled out link randomly and won 3 games in a row. Was quite the shocker.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Dark Pit is probably miles better than my toon link, hes my most played character according to the game

FrostyFlakes

Smash Rookie
I "main" Toon Link but I feel like I play more smart when I use Marth as I have to be careful with how I approach and I enjoy playing the spacing game with Marth

When I play toon link though..... I just chuck projectiles non-stop and mainly take stocks off people because they just keep running into bombs and boomerangs

Cardboardtubeknight

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
4914-7294-5851
Game & Watch

Whenever I have a losing streak with the crew I already have lined up with a figurative approached its like "Oh **** Game & Watch is getting mad! Let him out of the cage!"

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
I main R.O.B. and Captain Falcon, but in all honesty, I somewhat play better with Cloud, one of my secondaries for R.O.B.
It just seems that whenever I'm having a tough time playing R.O.B. correctly, pulling out the Cloud usually works out for me. (Just like it does with everybody else, especially Anti) It's kind of weird in my eyes to play better with a secondary than a primary.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I love using :4drmario:, but in the end I think I perform better when using :4mario:.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
While I consider Link my true main Bowser has graduated to a co-main status since I end up often performing better with him. His stupid damage output kind of carries me I think. Link's learning curve and the mindset you need to have to be effective with him makes my Link feel weaker

Jakkun

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4413-4635
I main :4robinm:, but whenever I use :4peach: for fun, I tend to get better results, plus my combo game feels more consistent with her. Im considering her as a secondary, but at the same time, I have to focus on being more consistent with Robin.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
My main is Pacman (Peach is a very close second), but Yoshi is definitely my best character. I can only play Peach with practice, and same goes for Greninja, which can also be one of my better characters.

Shollyboster

Dead Memes and Broken Dreams
NNID
112345brian
I actually used to be like this. I would go to tourney's and win with my main. Then, I took a break on Sm4sh. When I went on For Glory, everyone was beating me with my then-Main, Lucas. I knew that Ness was considered a higher character, so I started playing with him. Although I enjoy Lucas more, playing with Ness is much more reliable for me because I realize my play style more effective kills with Ness.

Also, I made this wallpaper of characters I like to play. If you want to check it out. Since we are already on the topic, of course.

Edit: Spelling/Grammar

Last edited:

L'Raychel

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrazyMisterLuigi
Luigi is definitely my best character... as far as consistency goes.

When playing matches with my friends though, I sometimes give them a LOT more trouble when I use Ganondorf. I'm sure it's just because they aren't used to fighting him as often as others. Still, it's kind of hilarious to see one of my friends, who mains Zero Suit Samus, rack up so much damage, just to miss a single attack and then die in one hit from Ganon. xD

Shollyboster

Dead Memes and Broken Dreams
NNID
112345brian
I suddenly had a surge of fighting for my friends. I wouldn't consider him a main but I've been doing better with him lately than anyone else, even Ness/Lucas... Which is surprising
Ayyyyy lmaooooo Ness/Lucas main hmu

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much how I found Villager.
Right now, it's Ike. Dunno what it is, but my results with Ike are through the roof right now, and he's just a pocket for when I need big disjoints.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Even though I consider myself a solo Cloud main, I feel that my Mario is just as good as my Cloud, if not, better. I've been playing Mario a lot longer as well; I've had more time to study his combo tree and matchups than I have had for Cloud. However, I still play mostly Cloud in tournament and I find him much more fun to play, especially because of his disproportionately high kill power. (凶 is life)

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
No matter how good I become with :4link:, all I have to do is TOUCH :4cloud: and I feel like my skill level is the same with the two. I've played Link my whole life, and Cloud's been in the game for half a year and he already feels more fluent. I sometimes go Cloud just to spite a friend of mine who mains :4bayonetta:. Idk what the Link/Bayo or Cloud/Bayo MUs look like, but she has much more trouble with Cloud and I can tell why. I'm not even really trying, just slinging N-Airs and U-Airs around and it's somehow working.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Like it says in my signature, Mr. Game & Watch is who I consider my "fun" main - that is, the one I almost always choose in casuals - and is definitely my most used character these days. He's such a darn cool character with his 2-D monochromatic frame-by-frame style that I just love stylistically, not to mention his wacky windboxes and RNG Side-B make him an awesome "troll character" for a scrub such as myself. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely no good with him outside of a few select matchups because I just have no fundamentals and, well, Game & Watch is basically all fundamentals. That's why I have other characters like R.O.B., who's been my main since Smash 3DS' release and is now my co-main, Mewtwo, who I've absolutely loved since Melee and is also just a really good character, and even Pac-Man, who's just great fun to use/watch and, at least from this scrub's perspective, has a much lower skill floor than Game & Watch.

Last edited:

Steegan

Smash Rookie
:4robinm: is my favorite character by far, and has everything I love in a character (such as powerful grab followups, and a strong projectile game), but I always perform at a higher level when playing :4mario:. I play Mario at such a higher level that I am eventually going to make Robin a secondary.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
This I can definitely relate to bc at launch Sheik was the character I decided to main. But she has received considerable nerfs. So I still have more time played with her than anyone else, and by a large margin. Yet, it feels like my secondaries give me better results. Like I still feel like my Sheik is my best character but overall I do get better results with Mario who was like my 3rd or 4th most used character.

Top Bottom