• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Character Creation perhaps?

Fr3aky Fight3r

Smash Rookie
I am not sure if I should've put this in the SSB4 discussion thread or in the character discussion thread.

But anyway do you maybe think that there should be some sort of custom character creation thing for SSB4?

Since Namco is working on SSB4 do you think there should be like a Create a Soul thing like how Soul Calbur 4 and 5 have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAZTv_7yxoA

Like make the character having it's wheight, speed, size, movesets from certain characters, and special moves from certain characters. Or would that be rather too much?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
not saying that it should be done but it could be done. i think the best course of action would be to use the Mii's as a base (just to get the Mii's in there). Then we divide the abilities up by lets say 5 different classes.
Dividing the characters from Brawl up
Swordsmen- Link, Marth, Ike, Toon Link, Meta Knight
Brawlers- Mario, Luigi, Wario, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Capt Falcon, Sheik
Technicians- Samus, ZSS, Fox, Wolf, Falco, R.O.B, Snake
Magicians- Ganandorf, Peach, Zelda, Ness, Lucas, Lucario
Beasts- DK, Diddy, Bowser, Pikachu, Yoshi, Sonic

Gimmicks like the PKMN trainer switching and Ice Climbers duo wont be applicable to the creation. certain characters can have their moves spread between multiple classes like Pit for example could be divided between the Swordsmen and the Magician classes.

Weight and size are primarily going to effect their gameplay. while the basic attacks are going to remain static through out the character types, their speed and certain attacks are going to be effected by their weight and size. See in order to balance out the movesets so we dont get let's say a Swordsmen with all of Meta Knight and Ikes best attacks in one character, you make it so the build of your Mii does change what he's capable of. for example, I make my Mii smaller in size. My Mii will be able to utilize attacks from Meta Knights movepool, except he won't be able to use some moves from Ike's movepool. now this isn't saying that all attacks will be differentiated by the size of your Mii. things like Link's Bow and Up B attacks will work universally no matter how you design your Mii.

This is the only way i see it working and even in this way it still needs work but yeah...

D

Deleted member

A customizable character that could be transfered from the 3DS game to the Wii U game was seemingly hinted at by Sakurai quite a while ago.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A character creation would be simple: It's called a Mii.

As for moves, weight, height, speed, stats, etc you could customize... no. That would be broken. Customized characters in most fight games are banned, and for good reason: because they can be broken.

If we just had Miis, with the same height, weight, stats, speed, moves, etc. etc. etc., and all you could customize was their looks, that would definitely work, definitely be balanced, and definitely be tournament legal.

However, that raises the question of whether or not Miis should be in Smash or not. :grin:

Also, this 10,000% belongs in the character discussion.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well the character wouldnt have to be tournament legal. more for personal use with your friends. in that regard it wouldnt matter if they were broken or not cause it is for personal use

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'd rather more dev time be put into useful areas of the game, such as character balance and acceptable gameplay.

I mean I'm all for the game being released in 2015 and it's not unheard of for big titles to take so long, but it just seems like a waste of priority.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
A character CUSTOMIZER mode would be cool.
Like we can give the characters a custom color palette. And whenever you select a character you can change their color to your saved palette.

This was a feature in Tekken Tag 2, would be cool if you could even edit the characters special effects for when they land a hit.

Sadly a full blown custom character would put the 50 or so regular characters outta commission as no one would wanna use em. Mortal Kombat Armageddon had like 60 characters in it that went unused once me and my friends made our own custom characters.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
It doesn't seem like the best direction for a game focused on the All-Stars and personally I'd rather the time be spent in other areas such as fixing stage builder and making an epic story mode.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A character CUSTOMIZER mode would be cool.
Like we can give the characters a custom color palette. And whenever you select a character you can change their color to your saved palette.

This was a feature in Tekken Tag 2, would be cool if you could even edit the characters special effects for when they land a hit.

Sadly a full blown custom character would put the 50 or so regular characters outta commission as no one would wanna use em. Mortal Kombat Armageddon had like 60 characters in it that went unused once me and my friends made our own custom characters.
Despite the drawback you mentioned, this is overall a very good idea.

Sakurai even hinted at something like this happening when discussing the 3DS version, so it's definitely not a stretch.

Besides custom palettes, I would expect costume sets and other aesthetic changes.

And who knows what other surprises have the developers in stock?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I am not sure if I should've put this in the SSB4 discussion thread or in the character discussion thread.

But anyway do you maybe think that there should be some sort of custom character creation thing for SSB4?

Since Namco is working on SSB4 do you think there should be like a Create a Soul thing like how Soul Calbur 4 and 5 have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAZTv_7yxoA

Like make the character having it's wheight, speed, size, movesets from certain characters, and special moves from certain characters. Or would that be rather too much?
I think they will use that same versatility for the STAGE creation. And that's what we all want.
RIGHT GUYS?

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
I really hope that Mario gets an alternate Dr. Mario outfit.
If they don't bring Dr Mario back, that is.

Considering how Dr Mario was actually better (higher tier) than Mario and Luigi, I don't think they would make Dr Mario a costume.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
If they don't bring Dr Mario back, that is.

Considering how Dr Mario was actually better (higher tier) than Mario and Luigi, I don't think they would make Dr Mario a costume.
Uhh.

You're sort of delusional if you think Doc has anything resembling a chance of returning, especially if you're logic is that the better angles and more useful knockback combinations of his moves being better than Mario's is reason to reach such a conclusion.

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
Uhh.

You're sort of delusional if you think Doc has anything resembling a chance of returning, especially if you're logic is that the better angles and more useful knockback combinations of his moves being better than Mario's is reason to reach such a conclusion.
I don't think that, jerkwad. I was saying that comparatively.

D

Deleted member

Uhh.

You're sort of delusional if you think Doc has anything resembling a chance of returning
Anyone who thinks Doc has absolutely NO chance of returning is truly being delusional. The fact that he was planned for Brawl means that he still has a shot.
While his shot is not as good compared to that of Roy and especially Mewtwo, it's still better than what most state.

peeup

Smash Lord
I think it would be a good thing for casual gamers. I mean if I had a nickel for every time I heard "dude what if there was a character who had MK's B and Pit's up-B and blah blah blah etc." Could use a Mii as a character model. I mean obviously it would have no competitive merit, but hey, the majority of Smash games exist outside of competition.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
Anyone who thinks Doc has absolutely NO chance of returning is truly being delusional. The fact that he was planned for Brawl means that he still has a shot.
While his shot is not as good compared to that of Roy and especially Mewtwo, it's still better than what most state.
Is there any proof that he was scrapped only for time restraints and not because simply Sakurai decided to take him off? His data in the game could simply mean that the game kept some useful data from Melee and that's it... Anyway he should be an alternate costume if you ask me. Dr. Mario, Fire Mario, Tanooki Mario ecc.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Doctor Mario should just be an alt costume, and have Mario have the best of both Mario and Doc's hitboxes.

And if you're looking to make characters I think the closest you'll get is the forum contest a few threads up, as well as in my signature below.

D

Deleted member

Is there any proof that he was scrapped only for time restraints and not because simply Sakurai decided to take him off? His data in the game could simply mean that the game kept some useful data from Melee and that's it... Anyway he should be an alternate costume if you ask me. Dr. Mario, Fire Mario, Tanooki Mario ecc.
Funny you should ask.
Through research, I found that Dr. Mario, while not having his own victory theme (like how Wolf doesn't), there is a missing file that could ONLY be his victory theme due to the placment of it (inbetween Roy and Toon Link).

Z01-Mario
Z02-Donkey Kong
Z03-Link
Z04-Samus
Z05-Yoshi
Z06-Kirby
Z07-Fox
Z08-Pikachu
Z09-Luigi (UNUSED)
Z10-Captain Falcon
Z11-Ness
Z12-Bowser (UNUSED)
Z13-Peach (UNUSED)
Z14-Zelda (UNUSED)
Z15-Sheik (UNUSED)
Z16-Ice Climbers
Z17-Marth
Z18-Mr. Game & Watch
Z19-Falco (UNUSED)
Z20-Ganondorf (UNUSED)
Z21-Wario
Z22-Meta Knight
Z23-Pit
Z24-Zero Suit Samus (UNUSED)
Z25-Olimar
Z26-Lucas (UNUSED)
Z27-Diddy Kong (UNUSED)
Z28-Pokemon Trainer (UNUSED)
Z29-MISSING (Going by Brawl data, this would be Charizard)
Z30-MISSING (Going by Brawl data, this would be Squirtle)
Z31-MISSING (Going by Brawl data, this would be Ivysaur)
Z32-King Dedede (UNUSED)
Z33-Lucario (UNUSED)
Z34-Ike (UNUSED)
Z35-R.O.B.
Z36-MISSING (Unknown)
Z37-Jigglypuff (UNUSED)
Z38-Mewtwo (UNUSED)
Z39-Roy (UNUSED)
Z40-MISSING (Because of placement, this would Dr. Mario)
Z41-Toon Link (UNUSED)
Z42-MISSING (Because of placement, this would be Wolf)
Z43-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any Newcomer after Wolf)
Z44-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any Newcomer after Wolf)
Z45-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any Newcomer after Wolf)
Z46-Snake
Z47-Sonic
Z48-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any 3rd Party after Sonic)
Z49-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any 3rd Party after Sonic)

Z50-Z58 are fanfares unrelated to characters.

Also, developers don't keep character data of old characters within file JUST for the sole purpose of taking "useful data".

vinson12

Smash Cadet
A character creation would be simple: It's called a Mii.

As for moves, weight, height, speed, stats, etc you could customize... no. That would be broken. Customized characters in most fight games are banned, and for good reason: because they can be broken.

If we just had Miis, with the same height, weight, stats, speed, moves, etc. etc. etc., and all you could customize was their looks, that would definitely work, definitely be balanced, and definitely be tournament legal.

However, that raises the question of whether or not Miis should be in Smash or not. :grin:

Also, this 10,000% belongs in the character discussion.
I think that's the most practical way to do this, you could give a mii specific attacks such as melee, fighting flying fire ice etc. Just don't copy movesets from other characters, that would be cheap.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731

It's a great Idea. I think people are over thinking this or are too close minded about it. It wouldn't be that hard to successfully pull off.

Now, it may not be balanced but it doesn't need to be. It's there let us exercise our creativity and maybe make existing characters that we wish were in the game. It's there for fun. You have to consider more than just competitive play.

And who says it can't work in competitive play? There could be custom character tourneys or custom characters that are made to exact specifications and were balanced enough to be approved by the higher ups in the smash community, like if some one managed to remake a previous smash character and pulled it off pretty well.

The way I see it, at worst it could suck, then we just don't use it.

The one thing that annoys me about the competitive fighting game community is that we're afraid of change. Now, one could argue that including a Create a character would take up valuable time better spent on improving the gameplay and I do agree gameplay is of higher priority but that's still no reason to shut the idea down. If done right something like this could add a whole new level of fun and depth to the game.

Let's be open minded here.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I love that the one objection I always hear to this idea is "THEY WOULDN'T BE TOURNAMENT LEGAL!" Yeah, we shouldn't have them because we wouldn't be able to use them in tournaments. Great justification. The other objections have at least some logic them.

I'd love customizable Miis or something similar. It'd be pretty fun. Maybe give them a certain amount of stat points that you could spent on various stats, kind of like how you had personality points in the Sims 2. That way we couldn't have super jumping, fast-moving, hard to kill characters everywhere.

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
A TF2 kind of stile, where you have some "visual" customization (like hats and misc.) and a guns/powers customization will be really good.
Think about it, you choose Mario, but you can choose his down B from melee/64 or his brawl's one. Something like that, where you can make you character but with minimal changes to especials that actually belong to that charcters

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I love that the one objection I always hear to this idea is "THEY WOULDN'T BE TOURNAMENT LEGAL!" Yeah, we shouldn't have them because we wouldn't be able to use them in tournaments. Great justification. The other objections have at least some logic them.

I'd love customizable Miis or something similar. It'd be pretty fun. Maybe give them a certain amount of stat points that you could spent on various stats, kind of like how you had personality points in the Sims 2. That way we couldn't have super jumping, fast-moving, hard to kill characters everywhere.
I agree with this idea and I also thought about this: By playing the game you can somehow wins some points you can give to your miis to increase thir statistics. (speed, stretch, stamina, special moves etc.). But... You can't give more that X total points to each mii, and you can't give less than Y point for each attribute.
This way it will take a while to form your own army of miis.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
well the character wouldnt have to be tournament legal. more for personal use with your friends. in that regard it wouldnt matter if they were broken or not cause it is for personal use
No, I'm saying that the Mii would be better off it you couldn't edit its' stats, its' easy to make and transfer a character, and because its' easier for the developers to make. If we had all that (customizable stats, created characters, or different variations of stats to choose from), we'd probably actually have a smaller character roster, whereas a simple Mii moveset with only one stats and stuff that couldn't be change would be amongst the easiest smash characters to make ever. On top of that, it would detract from the many points of smash brothers.

Plus, seeing as how Smash Bros. is about NINTENDO ALL-STARS (and some Nintendo-related guests), having more than just your standard Mii seems like a waste IMO.

On top of that, full blown created characters make it to where the whole roster could literally go unused. We could have 1,865 perfectly balanced, unique, and incredible characters, and 95% of noobs would play the created characters 95% of the time because they wanted to make someone with lots of cleavage, a character who looks like their favorite character not in the game, a character who looks like them, or a character who looks weird (mostly perverse) things, or who just looks creepy. If we just have the option to play as Miis, that won't happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd say that it would largely defeat the purpose of the game which is basically to have famous video game characters beat up other famous video game characters. If you could alter the playable characters by giving them different moves or a different appearance, sure, but not characters created from scratch. As funny as it would be, I really don't want to go online and fight 4 or 5 Hitlers every hour.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
On top of that, full blown created characters make it to where the whole roster could literally go unused. We could have 1,865 perfectly balanced, unique, and incredible characters, and 95% of noobs would play the created characters 95% of the time because they wanted to make someone with lots of cleavage, a character who looks like their favorite character not in the game, a character who looks like them, or a character who looks weird (mostly perverse) things, or who just looks creepy. If we just have the option to play as Miis, that won't happen.
As funny as it would be, I really don't want to go online and fight 4 or 5 Hitlers every hour.
Ouch! Those are some serious counterarguments:urg:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd say that it would largely defeat the purpose of the game which is basically to have famous video game characters beat up other famous video game characters. If you could alter the playable characters by giving them different moves or a different appearance, sure, but not characters created from scratch. As funny as it would be, I really don't want to go online and fight 4 or 5 Hitlers every hour.
Fight back the Adolf Hitlers as Joseph Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Genghis Khan, Cesar Augustus, or Alexander the Great, or go a different historical route as to how to win a conflict, and "fight" by like John F. Kennedy, Henry Davis Thoreau, Martin Luther King Jr., Martin Luther, Mahatma Gandhi, Buddha, the Apostle Stephen, or the Dali Lama.

That or be a REAL AMERICAN and play the founding fathers of AMERICA... like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Mike Tyson, Babe Ruth, Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning, Al Gore (aka the guy who made the internet), Snooki, John Rambo, Homer Simpson, Rocky Balboa, Superman, Tony Soprano, emo Peter Parker/Spider-Man from Spider-Man 3, Michael Scott, Arnold Schwarzenegger's mistress, and Jesus!!!

(and that is a big reason why I would love Miis, whether as playable characters, assist trophy characters, background characters, and so on in Smash!)

That or Nintendo can just ban most Mii skins from online play, sans the pre-installed Smash Wii U and/or Smash 3DS Miis.

Top Bottom