• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Brawl theme team?!

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Before I begin, I'd like to make a disclaimer. This isn't my team. I made a request to someone who often makes mono/theme teams. Since learning of Pokemon Trainer's inclusion, I've always wanted to have a team with all of the playable Pokemon in Brawl. However, when it comes to movesets and such I am really horrible, so I requested this. I would like your input/suggestions to what he recommended. Thanks in advance!

Ah yes, back again, and this week, it's a request. Team Super Smash Bros., a team made from the playable Pokémon, or at least their evolutions in some cases, throughout the ages in the SSB series. Let's dive right in, shall we?

Lucario @ Choice Scarf

Hasty Nature, 252 EVs in Spd, 148 in Atk, 108 in SpAtk
- Aura Sphere
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Lucario replaced Mewtwo in the latest SSB installment, and while I haven't played Brawl yet, I can't see how he wouldn't be better than the psychic cat. Mewtwo was slow and plodding, very hard to use, which is totally counter to how it's used in the regular game. Ah well. This Lucario set gives it some surprise speed to help take down some other leads with its raw power. DracoFist in the form of Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse form a potent special-side attack combo, while Ice Punch and Fire Punch, thanks to the Platinum move tutors, help take care of Dragons and Scizor on the physical side.

Pikachu @ Light Ball

Naive Nature, 252 EVs in Spd, 240 in SpAtk, 16 in Atk
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Ah yes, Pikachu's Light Ball helps it become a viable attacker against the big boys of the Pokeymans world. This Pikachu is using SubPunch in order to attack so that it can have a little more oomph behind its special attacks. STAB Thunderbolt from 392 SpAtk ain't no joke, lemme tells ya.

Wigglytuff @ Focus Sash

Bold Nature, 252 EVs in Def and SpDef, 4 in SpAtk
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Charge Beam
- Fire Blast

Sadly, Jigglypuff gets no item that makes it useful without evolving, so here's its more rabbit-like evolution. Support Wiggly meant to get at least a Thunder Wave and a Stealth Rock off. If by chance you do survive, fire away with Charge Beams and Fire Blasts. Charge Beam over Thunderbolt and Thunder because of the great chance to raise SpAtk, and Fire Blast for MOAR POWER HARF HARF HARF

/Tim the Toolman Taylor.

Charizard @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature, 252 EVs in SpAtk and Spd, 4 in HP
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Dragon Pulse
- HP Ground/Focus Blast

Ah, Specs Charizard, raining terror upon everything from above with near impunity. A great addition to the game via the Pokémon Trainer, Charizard will provide some special punch to your SSB team with its Specs boosted attacks. Air Slash may seem a bit redundant with Flamethrower, but you can use it to your advantage against opponents you don't want attacking you with its FlincHax, especially in conjunction with Wigglytuff's Thunder Wave. The last move is your outlet against Heatran, the only critter you can't hit with the other three moves. HP Ground is your best bet if you're on a battle sim or if you're good enough at IV breeding. Otherwise, Focus Blast is your answer, since the *******s at Game Freak didn't think Charizard was worthy of getting Earth Power via the Platinum move tutors... *grumble grumble*

Blastoise @ Leftovers

Bold Nature, 212 EVs in HP, 180 in SpDef and 116 in Def
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

A similar set to what I've posted several times before, only with Leftovers instead of Lum Berry. And you didn't think I was going to leave Squirtle out there to get creamed, did you? It might rawk in Brawl, but not in the realm of competitive battling. Basically, a cleaner set with two attacks. You need Rapid Spin support if you're going to slap a Choice item on Charizard. Hydro Pump over Surf for the raw power, seeing that you're not investing any EVs in SpAtk (nor should you on this set).

Venusaur @ Black Sludge

Jolly Nature, 252 EVs in Atk and Spd, 4 in HP
- Seed Bomb
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Balls to the freakin' wall, baby! Venusaur's attack leaves a bit to be desired, but it gets Swords Dance, and that's good enough for me. It also gets Outrage in Platinum, which is quite the odd move to get, but I'll take the coverage, especially since it gets Earthquake to hit Steels. Seed Bomb is for reliable STAB.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Hidden Powers are obvious and can be considered on all mixed or special sets.
Lucario @ Life Orb
Steadfast: Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Blaze Kick
Scarfleads are good, but only if they are capable of using U-Turn. Plus, Lucario already has a wide array of priority moves anyways. If you decide to keep the scarf, make sure it's nature is Inner Focus so that Fake Out leads won't get the upper hand against you. If you decide against it, Steadfast is superior so that you can grab a speed boost from those Fake Out leads that forget about Lucario's ability.

If you could change your physical attacks into special attacks and vice versa, you would be able to gain the upper hand against nearly all your foes. Steel-types who are weak to Fire generally have less SpDef compared to Def. Salamence, who is the number one dragon in Standard right now, has access to intimidate which weakens Ice Punch. Fighting moves are usually used to take out special walls like Blissey should almost always be physical so you can hit the weaker defensive side of Normal-types as well as Tyranitar with a SpDef boost. So, what I'm trying to say is, being mixed doesn't help you much. That, or you haven't given me enough reason to be mixed.

Thunder Punch has a 50% chance to OHKO Gyarados with a Life Orb attached and Intimdate factored in. Blaze Kick adds more spank to your Fire attack, doing pretty much the same thing as Fire Punch but with more power and the same accuracy as Fire Blast. Blaze Kick has a 65% chance to 2hko max HP Metagross, while Fire Punch is stuck with a 3hko. Blaze Kick has a 99% chance to 2hko max HP Jirachi with Leftovers, while Fire Punch only has 16%.
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Naive Nature
252 EVs in Spd, 240 in SpAtk, 16 in Atk
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Ah yes, Pikachu's Light Ball helps it become a viable attacker against the big boys of the Pokeymans world. This Pikachu is using SubPunch in order to attack so that it can have a little more oomph behind its special attacks. STAB Thunderbolt from 392 SpAtk ain't no joke, lemme tells ya.
Fine.
Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
44 HP/216 Def/248 SpDef
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Counter
- Light Screen
Support Wiggly meant to get at least a Thunder Wave and a Stealth Rock off. If by chance you do survive, fire away with Charge Beams and Fire Blasts. Charge Beam over Thunderbolt and Thunder because of the great chance to raise SpAtk, and Fire Blast for MOAR POWER HARF HARF HARF
Wigglytuff's idea of more power is Azelf's idea of no power. Wigglytuff is actually very durable and can even take a Timid Lucario's Superpower (if it deals max damage, Wigglytuff will have 1 HP left with my spread). I didn't design this so that it could survive that, I just tried to find the best way to distribute the EVs. Your job is simple, throw out rocks, counter physical attacks, wall special attackers, cripple stat boosters.

Wigglytuff has a lot of options here. You can use Knock Off to remove a tank's leftovers as well as hint towards what your foe's moveset is. If you really wanted an attacking move, you can't go wrong with Seismic Toss. Perish Song will force your foe to switch out within 3 turns, allowing you or another Pokemon time to set-up. I chose Light Screen for team support as well as luring physical attackers. I suggest you run some damage calcs to learn what attacks Wigglytuff can take so you can use Counter effectively.
Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
252 EVs in SpAtk and Spd, 4 in HP
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- HP (Ice)
- Focus Blast

Ah, Specs Charizard, raining terror upon everything from above with near impunity. A great addition to the game via the Pokémon Trainer, Charizard will provide some special punch to your SSB team with its Specs boosted attacks. Air Slash may seem a bit redundant with Flamethrower, but you can use it to your advantage against opponents you don't want attacking you with its FlincHax, especially in conjunction with Wigglytuff's Thunder Wave. The last move is your outlet against Heatran, the only critter you can't hit with the other three moves. HP Ground is your best bet if you're on a battle sim or if you're good enough at IV breeding. Otherwise, Focus Blast is your answer, since the *******s at Game Freak didn't think Charizard was worthy of getting Earth Power via the Platinum move tutors... *grumble grumble*
See, if any of your Pokemon were going to be scarfed, it would have to be this guy. Charizard is also a great candidate setting up and sweeping. After setting up, Bellyzard even has a chance to kill Gyarados even after Intimdate with Fire Punch; this KO is guaranteed with SR. Scarfzard lets you get the jump on foes that have gotten a speed boost and need to get spanked. HP (Ice) is ALWAYS better than Dragon Pulse except against Kingdra, but Charizard has no business with Kingdra anyways. Anyways, use either scarfzard or bellyzard. Specszard doesn't really do much other than dent counters and then switch out. I'm leaning more towards Bellyzard, but I'm posting the scarfzard set (mainly because all of your other Pokes are slow).
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
212 EVs in HP, 180 in SpDef and 116 in Def
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

A similar set to what I've posted several times before, only with Leftovers instead of Lum Berry. And you didn't think I was going to leave Squirtle out there to get creamed, did you? It might rawk in Brawl, but not in the realm of competitive battling. Basically, a cleaner set with two attacks. You need Rapid Spin support if you're going to slap a Choice item on Charizard. Hydro Pump over Surf for the raw power, seeing that you're not investing any EVs in SpAtk (nor should you on this set).
I don't like Blastoise. Somebody mess around this for me.
Venusaur @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
252 EVs in Atk and Spd, 4 in HP
- Seed Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Balls to the freakin' wall, baby! Venusaur's attack leaves a bit to be desired, but it gets Swords Dance, and that's good enough for me. It also gets Outrage in Platinum, which is quite the odd move to get, but I'll take the coverage, especially since it gets Earthquake to hit Steels. Seed Bomb is for reliable STAB.
Blasphemy! How could you NOT use Sleep Powder on this Pokemon after Hypnosis received an accuracy nerf? Sleep Powder and Spore are like the only reliable Sleep moves in this game now. I'm dropping Outrage because it only hits one type for Super Effective and you'll be easily walled by a Steel once you use it. I'm recommending Salac Berry here too. We can't skimp on any more coverage so we're going to need to rely on luck to activate it. It shouldn't be too hard with Sleep Powder shutting down a potential counter while Venusaur's decent defenses keeps him alive. I would personally run a defensive set, but you need something to captialize on your foe's switches, so I kept him a Swords Dancer.

Can't rate the team as a whole since the whole roster of available Pokemon to choose from has been used up. Know that the team does have a lot of weaknesses, but it'll feel very rewarding to win with this team. Have fun!

Oracle

Smash Master
For blastoise, I like to use Mirror Coat and Counter because it's actually a pretty decent moveset and it's usually unexpected. Rapid spin is also a must, then you have a few options for attacks. I tend to use physical since my teams usually have lots of special moves, but your team is pretty balanced, so hydro pump is fine.

Top Bottom