• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Brawl Question for the Backroom Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klein

Smash Cadet
I know it's still very early, with barely a week passed since the american release of the game, but...

I was wondering whether there were any official announcements or discussions about tiers or banned stages that aren't clogged with barely sentient 13 year olds trumpeting their favorite characters.

Is there any real agreement yet? Anyone who is clearly a cut above the rest (like shiek in melee)?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I'm not a back room mod, but here's a couple pictures outlining the basic tournament stages. (subject to change)

Red = Banned
Yellow = Counter-pick
Green = Neutral

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Notice how I'm not saying this is final? You have a problem with it, say what you think should be banned/neutral instead of trolling.

Subtle

Smash Cadet
I've seen a leak to another site of whats going on for back room tier discussion and agree with a majority of what looks to be the first iteration of the tier list.

One interesting thing to note though is that they can't come to a consensus on where in the tiers Sonic will be

Darkslash

Smash Master
How come i'm not surprised that FD is still neutral:laugh:

Any ways....... just noticed that Lylat cruise is Battle Field with its top plat form lowered down and the sides put up in a 13 degree angle :laugh:

pirkid

Smash Lord
75m aka Donkey Kong/Mario level
Banned

Battlefield
Neutral

Battleship Halberd
Counter Pick

Big Blue
Banned

Bridge of Eldin
Counter Pick

Brinstar
Counter Pick

Castle Siege
Counter Pick

Corneria
Counter Pick

Delfino Plaza
Neutral

Distant Planet
Counter Pick

Electroplankton
Banned

Final Destination
Neutral

Flat Zone 2
Banned

Frigate orpheon
Neutral

Great Sea
Banned

Green Greens
Counter Pick

Green Hill Zone
Banned

Jungle Japes
Counter Pick

Llat Cruise
Neutral

Luigi's Mansion
Banned

Mario Bros.
Banned

Mario Circuit
Counter Pick

Mushroomy Kingdom
Banned

New Pork City
Banned

Norfair
Counter Pick

Onett
Counter Pick

Pictochat
Counter Pick

Pokemon Stadium 2
Counter Pick

Pokemon Stadium
Neutral

Port Town
Counter Pick

Rainbow Cruise
Counter Pick

Rumble Falls
Banned

Shadow Moses Island
Counter Pick

Skyworld
Counter Pick

Smashville
Neutral

Spear Pillar
Banned

Temple
Banned

The Summit
Counter Pick

Wario Ware
Banned

Yoshi's Island
Banned

Yoshi's Island Brawl
Neutral

Complaints started arising.
The ones that garnered a lot of debate about the level of legality are Luigi's Manison, Port Town, Picto Chat, Green Hill Zone, and Great Sea.

The issue with Luigi's Mansion, was obviously the columns and impassable platforms that stop momentum. This initially caused its banning in the first place. But as we played on it in friendlies, people began to realize that the level actually was not as bad as anticipated. For the most part, we chose to leave Luigi's mansion as a counterpick, even though it could be a wildcard as a neutral level, we just didn't see it ever being considered neutral enough for the coveted spot on the list.

Final Verdict= Counterpick.

Port Town became the next topic of discussion, and was very closely related with the arguments concerning Great Sea. While an okay level, the cars became the point of contention. They killed at WAY too low of percentage. Imagine being attacked twice and dying thereafter because of a stupid hazard? What was initially a counterpick, became a banned stage.
Now, being banned because of the hazard brought levels like norfair into question. Many levels have hazards, and often times they are the reason a potentially neutral stage becomes a counterpick. In the case of Port Town, the hazard is much too over powered.
Final Verdict= Banned.

Picto Chat was a counterpick level that seemed legitimate to most in attendance, but no one really decided to use it at all, and it wasn't until we actually had the misfortune of drawing it at random in frinedlies that we discovered that almost EVERYTHING KILLS YOU. Be it a large rocked that travels side to side at ground level, or a piranha plant that ko's at low percentages, or spiked walls on either side of the stage, or even giant fireballs in the middle of the stage. While some are platform transformations, the rest are worse than any hazard I've yet seen.
Verdict= Banned.

Green Hill Zone was also banned due to the walk off edges, but we came to use it as a counterpick. Because of the hills, it is not as easy to chain grab off the screen as previously anticipated. It was probably one of the most used counterpicks in the tournament.
Verdict= Counterpick.

Last but not least, the Great Sea. Banned for the lever and the bombs that are fired, it eventually made its way into the realm of counterpick, after much debate. Many argued that it was as bad as Port Town because of the bombs, but because the level is larger, it is still more difficult to be killed by hazards here than at Port Town. The lever is very easy to avoid, and you actually can see the bombs coming while the cars are terribly difficult to avoid at certain points of Port Town.
Verdict= Counterpick.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What is with these random people saying stuff when they ARE NOT from the backroom?

I've seen a leak to another site of whats going on for back room tier discussion and agree with a majority of what looks to be the first iteration of the tier list.

One interesting thing to note though is that they can't come to a consensus on where in the tiers Sonic will be
That's fake. Tiers have barely been touched at all, mainly due to them being based of tournament results. What major Brawl tourneys has there been? Oh yeah, none.

As regards to all listed stage bans: All are not the smash back room lists. The one posted by pirkid is one that's close to the one being used for the first CT tourney, but it's still not close, since a good number of stages that are listed there as 'banned' aren't. And the CT stage list's by no means "the" stage list. And the one posted by Nightmarin, with the pictures, is wrong too.

There's nothing "Official" ready to be releaed yet, but I think something could be ready in the comming weeks. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom