• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Brawl A.C.T. Tournament

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Constantly inside a R.O.B Halloween Costume
Now i know this might be a crazy idea but latley I have been thinking about holding a A.C.T. Tournament, I can guarentee that we have a few people here from the A.C.T. that are pissed because everytime they wanted to go to a meele tournament it was outside the A.C.T., and I am not going to let it happen again with brawl!
I have a rough idea of the date October, Venue (Belconen Mall) and how it will be set out.
I know that it isn't till october, but i think its a great idea and that it could be a sucess with some good planning.
Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Send Rudd an invite, if he comes might get him motivated to give NinAus a kick up the butt.

Jaz

Smash Ace
If you guys are looking for someone who knows the game stuff in ACT might be able to help out with a venue or what not

justin@ozhadou.net

His handle is Final Atomic Buster, teamed with him in OHN.
Good guy, he'll help out methinks

Gl with your tournament

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
LOL Rudd's son goes to my school radford College.
The only thing i'm worried about is a lack of people, there are 4 people fromn the A.C.T. on smash boards that will most likley come, Theres me and 3 of my friends but other than that i don't know who else would come.
I'm worried no one will take me seriously though since im 14 and a half (15 when i host it).

Dedu

Smash Lord
Age isn't a problem in the smash community unless you like to whinge like an emo.

Go for it! If you get the tournament set up and running, and alot of people attend, then I'd call that a good start in the right direction.

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Tournament Details!

When:
8th November (maybe sooner) Most likley 6:00 - 9:30

Where:
Belconnen Scout Hall

How:
There will be 3 events 1 Vs. 1 ($10 Entry Fee) Team Battle ($10 for a team) FFA ($6 Entry Fee)
There will be 4 stations 2 for 1 Vs. 1 one for Team Battle and one for FFA.
I am hoping to get sponsered by EB games and that they can supply the prizes.

Prize Ideas:
1 Vs. 1
1st, Animal Crossing Wii or your choice of wii game $80 or less
2nd, $20 gift Voucher to EB games
3rd, $10 Gift Voucher to EB games

Team Battle
1st, Your choice of 2 DS game's from EB games
2nd, Two $15 Gift Vouchers to EB games
3rd, Two $10 Gift Vouchers to EB games

FFA
1st, Your choice of DS game or Wii game under $60 from EB games
2nd, $15 Gift Voucher to EB games
3rd, $10 Gift Voucher to EB games

WARNING:
If i don t get atleast 25 people in every event i won't host the tournament.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
If there's a Gametraders near you, go get them to sponsor the tourney since they actually sell Brawl and Freeloader right now.

Also, you stated about being worried about not enough people turning up. I'd say aim for 16 for each event and see how it goes from there. If more people want to sign up then go for it.

Entry fees shouldn't be such a turn off for players IMO... I mean you're offering some hefty prizes, but $10 for one singles tourney is a bit on the pricey side. You should probably go with $5 for singles and doubles tourneys ($10 per team for doubles) and organise the prizes from there; something like 80% of prize pool to first place and 20% to second.

Last thing is timing; if you're only planning the event to go for 3 and a half hours and you have singles, doubles and an FFA tourney going with over 16 players each, you'll most likely go over, even if your organisation's good and you're getting people playing one after the other. Might help to be a little more lenient.

Just some suggestions, add or take from them as you please. Good Luck!

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Try and get the date to line up w/ school holidays / uni holidays that will give you a better chance of having people attend.

You need an entire day to run a tourney.

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice.
Your right i probably will need more time, lets say 3:00 - 9:30?
i could run it eaarlier so it's in the holidays.
at Kow, i am trying to get a sponsor from EB do you mean get one so i can host the tourny in a month or so, because i dont, i already own the freeloader and brawl, i want to host it later so everyone with out these get a good 4 months to play it and then i will host the tourny.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
It takes about 1-2 hours each doing singles and doubles on a double elimination bracket for 30 people. Thats if your doing best of 3 and then best of 5 on final set. You need to give yourself about 30-45 minutes for registration and then bracket set-up, not to mention set up of the actual venue.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Take a look around the boards at other tourneys and there rule sets, they should give you a good idea of how to run the fairest tournament set up. Thats for singles and doubles anyway, you can use the 1 match 5 stock for free for all's but for singles/doubles it's better to do a best of 3 with 4 stock and a time limit.

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
The idea sounds Good. It only takes us Sydney Siders a few hours to get up there.

roxas55

Smash Rookie
Is this gonna happen or not?
Cause im really interested and i know alot of canberra ppl who would be too :D

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok well this has been left hanging for a while, I am defiantly keen to host a tourney here in act but I've been having trouble finding a venue.
I did find a few but they were like $600 a day to hire and thats a bit much.
If anyone can find one for me I'd really appreciate it, I'm willing to spend up to $300.

also, there is a tourney in Sydney sunday the 17 of august, 9 till 5, I am driving down for the day and I have 2 spots in my car if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom