• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a Big new thing in the fight against wario

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i remember reading on the tactical discussion board that if you are a tall character (like zelda) and grab wario (has to be a tall person so his feet are off the ground when you grab him) and let him escape from the grap he will go into the air a wont be able to do anything for a little bit of time giving the graber a chance for a free hit. so first i tried this against the computer and after trying some diffrent things i found i could hit him with a fair before he started moving. it was late ata night when i was doing this so i was alone so i went into training mode and held the joystick left so wario would move left as soon as he could and then i tried it again and it still worked. the only thing i have not gotten to try yet was having wario trie to attack before i could get the fair off but from my test i dont think he will be able to. THIS MEANS FREE LIGHTNING KICKS ON WARIO IF YOU GRAB HIM. i will try to test wario attacking today as soon as i can.

stage note: this makes stages with platforms a bad place to fight him. he is able to land on the platform and shiled before you can hit him. so battlefiled is a bad place to fight him. on smashville if you grab him in the same direction the platform is moving he will and up above you and i think you can get a free up-smash on him. This makes final D a great stage to fight him since no platform can come in your way.

Also the only time i have not been able to pull this off is when i am so close to the edge my character does the animation of going to fall off the edge of the stage it seems to stop you from being able to jump right away but thats not a big deal.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i think only wario not positive

also once i complete my testing on this i am going to add this to keeping it classy as well

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
im testing this on every character who is short enough.... and most characters fly too far away.

it did, however, seem to work on ness (though it's much harder to aim)... and it MAY work with olimar, though i think he has JUST enough time to get away.and with jigglypuff you MAY be able to get an uair off if you full jump. MAYBE.

again, all of those are MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE. against real opponents it probably won't work. the only FOR SURE right now is wario.

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Heh, I honestly found out about this technique not too long ago. It was bum who showed me this and I actually found it really useful. You are right, it IS a free Lightning Kick IF you can master timing, I have already put it work.

Another thing, if the opponent is off the ledge and has low damage, you actually CAN Lightning Meteor him, gimping him and turning the tables of the battle. Pretty sweet eh? I'm still finding other formulas on what to do here.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ok since the last couple of posts have confirmed this before i could i am just going to go and copy and paste my post to the keeping it classy thread also i will add mega japan's spike thing to it.

also mega why do you say at low dmg you can spike him why not at higher dmgs?

(off topic) also to mega japan do u go to the city weeklys if so what day and time is it? and i have been to the thread for it but i did not see were it said what day it was (sat or fri?)

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
ok since the last couple of posts have confirmed this before i could i am just going to go and copy and paste my post to the keeping it classy thread also i will add mega japan's spike thing to it.

(off topic) also to mega japan do u go to the city weeklys if so what day and time is it? and i have been to the thread for it but i did not see were it said what day it was (sat or fri?)
(off topic) Yes, I do, and very often. In fact I will go for training and friendlies tomorrow. Tournament is usually on Fridays. What is your AIM? It's easier that way. (/off topic)

I can pretty much now confirm that you are able to get a free hit from any of Zelda's aerials. Her Lightning Meteor and UAir require the most timing and takes a lot of practice to perform them at command in a real battle.

The Lightning Kick and NAir, not so much. Specially the NAir, it is REALLY easy since the opponent will go flying to your 1 o' clock so you can just make a high jump and do it. Nearly the same thing with the Lightning Kick, but instead try to move a LITTLE bit backwards so that it actually sweetspots.

For the UAir you must shorthop right below him and do it and normal jump for the Lightning Meteor. These are kind of hard though, I'm still practicing them.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ i am not often on aim but i will pm you my aim. and thanks for letting me know its on fri and its always brawl right (i am not that great at melee) i will try to come to some of these weeklys if/when i can but its kinda costly.

Also the other moves you can use is some pretty good info i will get on praticing them thanks for the info

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Alright, I have something else to add.

Doing the UAir after it is EXTREMELY hard. Keep in mind that the opponent will NOT go that high and you are unable to move inmediately after you let the opponent go for about half a second so by the time you attempt to shot-hop and use your UAir, the opponent will already be near the ground, so even an UTilt has better chances of hitting than that.

Lightning Kick is REALLY easy as long as you DONT move horizontally from your position or else it will NOT sweetspot.

I was also wrong about another thing, you can short-hop once the enemy has gone low and still perform the Lightning Meteor, it still requires good timing though.

The NAir is still the easiest as you just jump and move a little bit towards the opponent and do it.

Just like the DThrow, you may also run a bit towards them without having to jump and use your USmash, it works pretty good.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
so lemme get this straight:

basically, grabbing is very fast anyway, but then you just keep hitting wario during the grab, and when he escapes you get a free aerial of your choice? D:

XD yay.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
OMG this would be awsome... we would finally get a little check mark next to ness on IvanEva's chart... and Wario.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
so lemme get this straight:

basically, grabbing is very fast anyway, but then you just keep hitting wario during the grab, and when he escapes you get a free aerial of your choice? D:

XD yay.
no if you are hitting in the grab when he escapes he will just slide on the ground when he escapes the grab you can't be hitting him. you can hit him in the grab but you must stop b4 he escapes so sometimes it is easier to just not hit him and wait for him to escape.

So the main point is if you are hitting him when he escapes the grab it wont work

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
no if you are hitting in the grab when he escapes he will just slide on the ground when he escapes the grab you can't be hitting him. you can hit him in the grab but you must stop b4 he escapes so sometimes it is easier to just not hit him and wait for him to escape.

So the main point is if you are hitting him when he escapes the grab it wont work
but still, you can still hit him >_>

*augh i'm braindead now*

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify you can still pummel Wario but you have to stop pummeling him so he can escape.

EDIT: N.A.G.A.C.E beat me to it.

Poor Wario. First Marth can get a free tipper f-smash now Zelda gets a free lightning kick. I'm not complaining though.:chuckle:

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
It seems that this work on every ******, I finished testing it on every character and these are the one you can do it on:

-Mario
-Kirby
-Pikachu
-Mr. Game And Watch
-Luigi
-MetaKnight
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur
-Yoshi
-Ice Climbers
-Ness
-Wario
-Toon Link
-Olimar
-Jigglypuff
-Lucas

Alright here's what I found out. This technique is VERY unlikely to work on characters other than Wario or Jigglypuff. Why? Because only Wario and Jigglypuff will go directly upwards when done to. I don't know why this happen but is the way it is. Everyone else will go diagonally away from you to the point where it is too far for you to chain the attack.

The difference between Wario and Jigglypuff however is that Jigglypuff will go much higher than Wario for its "floatyness". What is EXTREMELY hard to do on Wario, the UAir, is EXTREMELY easy to do on Jigglypuff, than again, every other aerial will probably fail because she goes way too high and by the time you try to make contact, the will dodge or jump so UAir is your only option against it.

Wario is the only you can decide whether you do Lightning Kick, Lightning Meteor or NAir. For everyone else, don't bother and just throw them, we all know Zelda does great damage when throwing anyways so it's a much wiser choice.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^^ i think it also gives snake a free up-tilt (not like snake needs anything to make him better)

Mega-Japan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shonendo
3DS FC
0791-4753-3390
Well, it is pretty much it for Jiggly, because for being the lightest character in the game, he's pretty much done for once his meter is anywhere above 40%.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
to bad jiggs is not a better more used character but now if i ever run into one i got a nice trick to use on him. good find mega.

also for some reason there are wario's everywere on long island and i have to say one was giving me some trouble but now i can't wait till next time i get to play him, finally got something really good against wario. also mega the dair on wario is very nice as well i have been practicing it and i more or less have it down.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
to bad jiggs is not a better more used character but now if i ever run into one i got a nice trick to use on him. good find mega.

also for some reason there are wario's everywere on long island and i have to say one was giving me some trouble but now i can't wait till next time i get to play him, finally got something really good against wario. also mega the dair on wario is very nice as well i have been practicing it and i more or less have it down.
*uses jiggs*

from my small bit of experience, jiggs is gimped enough as it is against zelda. i mean, his best approaches are from the air, where you DON'T want to approach zelda from (so jiggs is NEVER going to get a dair->rest combo in ever against zelda.... unless the zelda does something stupid). also, extra floatiness means easy sweetspots... he moves hit pretty far, so jiggs has a hard time getting through them.... and the teleport is not really chase-able when off the edge (unlike the spacies, where jiggs can just hop off and nair them to death)......

this free uair thing just makes things worse :p

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
zOmG Dis iz awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Now out of grab-jumpbreak:

1. DDD could chaingrab Wario to the edge and then Uptilt him

2. Marth could Tip a Forward Smash

3. Snake could do a Nair or an Uptilt

4. Peach could Do an Upsmash

5. Bowser could fsmash

6. DK could Upsmash

7. Ike could Uptilt

8. ZSS could Upair

9. Yoshi could Upsmash

10. Ganondorf could tilt his fsmash

11. Captain Falcon could Upsmash

12. And Now Zelda could Lightning Kick

All of which are those character's second or first best kill move(except ZSS, poor her :urg:).

Wow, all this work I've put forth winning tournys and such with Wario all seems to be finally paying off for him :bee:

^^ i think it also gives snake a free up-tilt (not like snake needs anything to make him better)
Dang I forgot abut this. Serves Wario right for being able to kill Snake at 0% by eating the cypher.
Hell yea it serves him right! Out of all the characters I think this combo deserves to be done on Wario.

Three cheers for combos in brawl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Shame a great character has to go down just because the game developers suck at planning ahead.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Great post, Wario has a severe disadvantage to Zelda because of this (IMO) and also because his bike is practically useless against her as well.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i don't think it works on jiggs i had a friend play her and he could jump before i could up-air him

S2

Smash Lord
Such a great find.

Although I do feel somewhat bad for Wario players though. More then ever he needs to "don't get grabbed".

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
All of which are those character's second or first best kill move(except ZSS, poor her :urg:).
if you can get a lightning kick off, you can PROBABLY get zamus's bair or sideb off... and if not, at least you can get an upb, which often links into dsmash->dsmash, or dsmash-> bair, or whatever you wanna follow dsmash with.

nevermind, you can't really get bair or sideb, but you can get fair off, which is a good kill move ANYWAY if you can get the second hit off (and WILL kill earlier than bair if you get both hits off), which you CAN do in this case.... not that this is important on the zelda boards...

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Hell yea it serves him right! Out of all the characters I think this combo deserves to be done on Wario.

Three cheers for combos in brawl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe what I said above was a bit rash. Something like this doesn't deserve to about to any character. It really is unfortunate since I think Wario is a great character. (One of my favourites)

Top Bottom