• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A better GCN controller? Hori Battle Pad for Wii U - Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Those gamestop controllers are the biggest pieces of junk and looks to be the exact ones they had back in the day that were junk.

I can tell you my HORI mouse and keypad for the PS3 is top notch quality. I'm surprised it isn't bigger than it is.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Those gamestop controllers are the biggest pieces of junk and looks to be the exact ones they had back in the day that were junk.

I can tell you my HORI mouse and keypad for the PS3 is top notch quality. I'm surprised it isn't bigger than it is.
I've personally only ever heard good things about Hori.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
A.Both the Wii U Pro Controller amd Classic Controller got the same button layout, the only difference is that you need to connect the CC in a Wiimote
B.All Wii U games compatible with the WUPC are also compatible with the CC, so they technically do work on games compatible with WUPC, and all Wii games compatible with the CC.
Officially licensed by Nintendo. Take control of the action with the HORI Battle Pad Turbo for Wii U featuring Mario themed colors and artwork. Perfect for fighting games such as Super Smash Bros, this control pad is similar to shape and function of the original Nintendo GameCube controller praised by Super Smash Bros fans around the world. Simply plug into your Wii U Remote and enjoy! Features short stroke L and R buttons, 3 Turbo settings, and a large D-pad. This controller can be used for Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro supported games and most Nintendo Virtual Console Games. Not compatible with Pro Controller titles. No motion control function. Wii U Remote not included.

So no Bayonetta

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
A.Both the Wii U Pro Controller amd Classic Controller got the same button layout, the only difference is that you need to connect the CC in a Wiimote
B.All Wii U games compatible with the WUPC are also compatible with the CC, so they technically do work on games compatible with WUPC, and all Wii games compatible with the CC.
The analog sticks and button placements are swapped, and there are a rare few cases where the classic controller doesn't work while the Wii U Pro controller does, ex. New Super Mario Bros U and Luigi U
Officially licensed by Nintendo. Take control of the action with the HORI Battle Pad Turbo for Wii U featuring Mario themed colors and artwork. Perfect for fighting games such as Super Smash Bros, this control pad is similar to shape and function of the original Nintendo GameCube controller praised by Super Smash Bros fans around the world. Simply plug into your Wii U Remote and enjoy! Features short stroke L and R buttons, 3 Turbo settings, and a large D-pad. This controller can be used for Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro supported games and most Nintendo Virtual Console Games. Not compatible with Pro Controller titles. No motion control function. Wii U Remote not included.

So no Bayonetta
Not necessarily, I think what it means is that it is not a replacement for the Wii U Pro controller and rather a replacement for the classic controller. There's no reason for it not to work with classic controller titles and many games still support it, so it probably will work with Bayonetta as well as any other classic controller supported title. I think what they were trying to say was that it won't work with titles that are only compatible with the Pro controller.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The analog sticks and button placements are swapped, and there are a rare few cases where the classic controller doesn't work while the Wii U Pro controller does, ex. New Super Mario Bros U and Luigi U
Maybe I wasn't clear when I said it, bitut I meant to say it's got the same buttons......

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Right. The Pro Controller's analog sticks can be pressed down to act like a button. This is the same thing the XBOX 360 controller does. The Classic Controller line doesn't have these Extra buttons.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Right. The Pro Controller's analog sticks can be pressed down to act like a button. This is the same thing the XBOX 360 controller does. The Classic Controller line doesn't have these Extra buttons.
Well, it's a Classic Controller disguised as a GameCube controller and neither have those L3 R3 buttons, so I expected that.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Maybe I wasn't clear when I said it, bitut I meant to say it's got the same buttons......
I missed this post. Sorry, we're on the same page. I don't think Smash even supports those buttons anyway.

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
When these Hori controllers come out, can someone please disassemble one and take a few internal pictures? I'd be interested to see what joystick boxes Hori is using for these, and if they are same ones found in the Classic Controller Pros and newer Gamecube controllers.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
When these Hori controllers come out, can someone please disassemble one and take a few internal pictures? I'd be interested to see what joystick boxes Hori is using for these, and if they are same ones found in the Classic Controller Pros and newer Gamecube controllers.
I will.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I've tried the new HORI GameCube controller. It's fantastic and feels exactly like a true original GameCube controller.

It's lighter because it doesn't have rumble. But my god. The buttons, the analog, it's all true Nintendo goodness.

Using it for Virtual Console games ftfw. Maybe even Mario Kart 8.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've tried the new HORI GameCube controller. It's fantastic and feels exactly like a true original GameCube controller.

It's lighter because it doesn't have rumble. But my god. The buttons, the analog, it's all true Nintendo goodness.

Using it for Virtual Console games ftfw. Maybe even Mario Kart 8.
That sounds awesome..! How'd you get one already?

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
That sounds awesome..! How'd you get one already?
I don't own it personally. My friend got an early copy of the game in the mail (not from Nintendo), and got the HORI controller with it. I gotta wait until Thursday at 10:00 PM (Midnight on the East Coast) to get my copy of the Smash bundle and a Luigi HORI controller.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
So, I got the Wii Fight Pad. Here are my thoughts on it after playing Project M and Mario Kart 8 with it.

First things first, though it may be bulkier, space is a slight problem here. My hands are slightly above average size, and while they grip nicely with my pinky and ring fingers it took awhile for my middle fingers to adjust to the back that's thick, whereas the original gamecube controller has a slimmer back thus having more room. The weight is lighter than a regular Gamecube controller too, probably due to no rumble though.

The analog sticks are similar to those of the classic controller pro's but bigger. I used my classic controller pro for Project M, so this isn't an issue for me (I actually like them more than a regular gamecube controller!) However, the first analog stick sticks out more than the right analog stick, so this may seem awkward to some people. I adjusted and actually like it being pushed out farther than the right analog stick. This is may be just me, but I feel like I have more control with it. Also, having an actual analog stick over a C-Stick isn't as bad as you think

The R and L buttons give a very satisfying click. ZL and ZR are similar to those of an actually gamecube controller without the full press click. The shape of the triggers are different too but also have less space for your index fingers compared to a gamecube controller. This won't be the same with everyone, but sometimes my fingers overlapped with the plastic when doing a fullpress. However, it isn't deal breaking and simply moving your fingers back is a easy solution.

Sadly, the D-Pad is somewhat mush. While it isn't worse than the Xbox 360 D-Pad, I don't think you would have a satisfying experience with it if you were planning to play a platformer or virtual console game.

The ABXY button layout is the same as the original gamecube controller. A and B are glossy see through plastic while X and Y are your basic plastic. A and B give off satisfying clicks while X and Y presses are similar to those of a gamecube controller. Also, A and B are similar to those of PDPs afterglow controller buttons.

When playing Project M, I definitely had issues as the controller just felt weird at first. With the different shaped triggers, the joysticks at different elevations, and the glossy A-B buttons It tooks me a minute to adapt. However, when I did I found this more useful than any Classic Controller Pro could be. Aerials though were somewhat tricky to pull off with the C-Stick being replaced by an actual analog stick. It was something I was used to with the Classic Controller Pro, so the size difference kinda threw me off. Those who have used and like a GC Controller will be thrown off completely from the analog sticks probably due to everything being different.

Mario Kart 8 was really simple to pick up after playing Project M for a while. I would even say it's the most comfortable way to play it at the moment.

So overall, it's pretty good. Bare in mind that I don't like the original gamecube controller for Smash. I find that my fingers can't grip on the Joystick and full press L and R buttons hurt my index fingers after time. However, I do see the other side of the spectrum where people have been acustomed to the GC controller for Smash. With that said, I don't think those people should pick up the Wii Fight Pad. The changes are possibly too radical and it will come off as weird to them similar to how I thought it was at first. However, for everyone else this is a good controller to pick up. It has more going for it, IMO, than the gamecube controller.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Also, @Zipzo , If we personally removed the turbo function within the HORI controller would it still be banned?

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I didn't know where to post this question, so I'm asking it here.

How big is the Wii U Pro controller in relevance to other controllers? I don't own one nor have I even held one in my hands.

I've always imagined it to be very similar size-wise to the Classic Controller Pro, if slightly larger.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I didn't know where to post this question, so I'm asking it here.

How big is the Wii U Pro controller in relevance to other controllers? I don't own one nor have I even held one in my hands.

I've always imagined it to be very similar size-wise to the Classic Controller Pro, if slightly larger.
It's about the size of a Xbox 360/XboxOne controller. With the removal of a battery pack, it's lighter than both.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
If there's anything that comes close to Nintendo quality controllers, it's HORI for sure. It's the only third-party controller I trust. 2nd best d-pad next to Nintendo controllers. Overall sturdy and good quality. Looking into this controller, but I don't know where it plugs into. Can I plug it in the gamepad? Descriptions on sites mess me up. Amazon says "Wii U remote"... I'm guessing gamepad? Then it notes to remove the Motion + add-on before plugging in.

Anyways. I'd totally stick with the gamepad I'm using now, but the complete roundness of the thumbsticks are messing up my much used attacks. I need that octagon clicky-ness.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
If there's anything that comes close to Nintendo quality controllers, it's HORI for sure. It's the only third-party controller I trust. 2nd best d-pad next to Nintendo controllers. Overall sturdy and good quality. Looking into this controller, but I don't know where it plugs into. Can I plug it in the gamepad? Descriptions on sites mess me up. Amazon says "Wii U remote"... I'm guessing gamepad? Then it notes to remove the Motion + add-on before plugging in.

Anyways. I'd totally stick with the gamepad I'm using now, but the complete roundness of the thumbsticks are messing up my much used attacks. I need that octagon clicky-ness.
It plugs into a Wiimote just like the Classic Controller does.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It plugs into a Wiimote just like the Classic Controller does.
That's a waste. I'd gladly pay a little extra for wireless functionality on all these controllers. If anything is compatible with Wii U, then a Wiimote should at best just be optional.

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie

It's a classic controller "disguised" as a GameCube controller, so I'd imagine it would plug into the Wii Remote.

EDIT: ah, Mechageo beat me to it! But yeah, I get your point.

Last edited:

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
I just got mine yesterday. I have no complaints, its a gamecube controller at the end of the day. It is a lot lighter due to the lack of rumble, no input lag of any sort. They made the D-pad a little bigger making it more usable. The shoulder buttons feel great, and activate the moment you press them since they are fully digital. If you guys have any questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer them.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
My friend Super Davi sent me this picture comparing it to a GameCube controller. I haven't received mine in the mail yet.
IMG_20141123_165854.jpg

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd love (and I mean LOVE) to have a GC controller with two digital shoulder buttons instead of the analogue garbage we have now.

But I'm not thrilled about these being nunchuks...

Anyone know a decent GC controller that fits that criteria (same if not identical button layout) except digital shoulders?

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
For Smash U I use the 3DS and the Wired Fight Pad. I also have a GameCube controller but didn't bother with the adapter BECAUSE of the Wired Fight Pad. It feels a little light so at first it might come off as cheap, but it's really amazing and make me forget about my GameCube controller entirely. I was choosing between PDP's and Hori's, but went with PDP's because it was available before Smash U, so I had used it with Xenoblade Chronicles until Smash U came out.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
For Smash U I use the 3DS and the Wired Fight Pad. I also have a GameCube controller but didn't bother with the adapter BECAUSE of the Wired Fight Pad. It feels a little light so at first it might come off as cheap, but it's really amazing and make me forget about my GameCube controller entirely. I was choosing between PDP's and Hori's, but went with PDP's because it was available before Smash U, so I had used it with Xenoblade Chronicles until Smash U came out.
What is it wired to? Also to a Wiimote?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Behold:
IMG_20141127_163711.jpg

These aren't the same plastic ones that are in the Classic Controller. I haven't torn down a Pro Controller or newer Gamecube controller yet though. What do they use?

Last edited:

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
Mechageo, thank you for taking the time to do that. I was hoping Hori somehow was able to get the same joystick boxes as found in the Classic Control Pro and newer Gamecube controllers. This is the joystick box Nintendo used for those controllers:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Mechageo, thank you for taking the time to do that. I was hoping Hori somehow was able to get the same joystick boxes as found in the Classic Control Pro and newer Gamecube controllers. This is the joystick box Nintendo used for those controllers:

You're welcome. Hmmmm... Did the old Gamecube controllers use something similar to the ones Hori's using?

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I've been using this controller for a few days now and am updating the original post with some of my thoughts as well as some of the images I've taken.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I look forward to the day a quality Wii U Pro with a GCN controller layout busts into the market. The HORI battlepad's tether to the Wiimote is such a turnoff; it's the deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Smash Rookie
You're welcome. Hmmmm... Did the old Gamecube controllers use something similar to the ones Hori's using?
The early Gamecube controllers used this joystick box:

You can visit kadano's thread " Technical Knowledge Compilation" for a lot more good information on joysticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom