• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Beginners Guide to Mr. Game & Watch

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
A Beginners Guide to Mr. Game & Watch.

Overview
Despite G&W’s very straight forward play style focusing both on aerial and ground combat equally he can be quite hard to master due to his moves possessing high amounts of end lag and awkward movement.
Of G&W’s best traits the best by far is his disjointed hitboxes, his spacing, and unrelenting power. Despite his light weight and small size most of G&W’s moves can kill easily and effectively making a deadly and unpredictable character.

Neutral and Tilts:
·Jab
·F-Tilt
·U-Tilt
·D-Tilt
·Dash Attack

G&W’s tilts and neutral game is decent though he does have better options at hand but are still relatively good options. His Jab combo is him consecutive pushing air out of a…….. the name skips me, but the move comes out extremely fast and can be mashed repeatedly and indefinitely. The move can be used to jab reset an opponent or as an edge guarding move against some most notably the Space Animals, though the move is very situational it can be quite helpful but there are usually better options at hand. F-Tilt is like his Jab, is very situational. The move has decent knockback, decent power, and the move lingers for a bit but it has a good amount of startup lag that makes somewhat useless compared to his other Tilts. U-Tilt is a great move that comes out little slow but can be combo’ed into itself (depending on percent) and lead into other moves effectively. D-Tilt is by far one of his best moves alone, the move comes out quick, has a good hitbox, can kill at high percents, followed up with another move, good to use when pressured, and can be used as an edge guarding move. You want to use this move a good amount of the time it’s an answer to a lot of problems. His Dash Attack is a good move as well having decent speed and hard to read, the first couple frames send the opponent forward setting up for combos and in the first frame you can cancel it into a grab, while the last frames send them behind him allowing for escape so be wary of situation and decide which one would suit you better.

Aerial moves:
·F-Air
·D-Air
·U-Air
·B-Air
·N-Air

G&W’s aerial moves are no slouch most of them really help is approach options and significantly improve his combo game and unlike in Melee all of his aerial moves can be L-Cancelled improving their usability. F-Air is his best approach option being able to come out really fast, possess good knock, the move lingers, has light hit fames to set up for combos, and is one big disjointed hitbox. D-Air is also a great option as it also lingers, also comes out fast, can meteor, can be used for gimping, and can make an opponent Spike bounce setting up for combos. U-Air is G&W’s fastest move and in the game in general it the hitbox comes out on the first frame and ends very quickly making the hit window very strict but also unpredictable. The move does lack power and the hit box is very small, it’s more useful for setting up combos and for ceiling kills though they are very situational. B-Air is almost an exact opposite to F-Air besides the speed and lingering hitbox. F-Air is a great option for setting up combos, gimping, and spacing. Though possessing little knockback this move is definitely used to set up combos so try not use this move as kill move it just won’t work. N-Air is his deadly aerial finisher possessing, great knockback, and an unusual animation, and a humongous hitbox, this move is his signature killer most victims don’t see this move coming because of its odd animation that makes t unpredictable. The move though does suffer from having severe startup lag making it very punishable if read so this is best used when your opponent is in hitstun.

Smashes:
·F-Smash
·D-Smash
·U-Smash

In Melee these moves were very situational possessing a good amount of lag to them and not enough payoff (besides F-Smash). Luckily in P:M, all the smashes have been given significant buffs possessing more power, though still having a good amount of lag to them they are still great kill options. F-Smash is his safest kill option being the one with quickest startup, a large hitbox, and being able to hit multiple times. Though the move is not as powerful as the others it makes u for it in speed. D-Smash is still has a very unusual effects depending whether it hits the opponent in the air or on the ground. If your opponent is on the ground then be semi-spiked making kills near the edge of the stage easy. While in the air, the move will cause you to fly extremely high making a ceiling KO very likely at mid percents. Overall the move is very much a mix of F-Smash and U-Smash being in the very middle of those two possessing more power than F-Smash but more startup lag, while it has less startup lag than U-Smash but is weaker. U-Smash this move has so many uses but yet it has so many draw backs, let’s go over the positives first. The move is the most powerful U-Smash in the game; causes major shield stun, and can be DACUSed. The draw backs the move has are, significant startup lag, easily read, and a strict hitbox. I can’t really go into detail on this one since it’s a move I rarely use since I like to play it safe but it has gotten me very early kills as a fully charged one can kill Jiggs at 30%, but I digress.

Grabs and Throws:
·Grab Range
·F-Throw
·U-Throw
·B-Throw
·D-Throw

G&W in Melee and even P:M has been known for having a mediocre grab game his throws are fine since each grab has its own uses and each throw has the same throwing animation making it hard to read. To be more specific G&W has a very short and small window to grab his opponent so your timing has to be good or you have to know read your opponent correctly, luckily his throws are good so it’s not totally unusable. F-Throw is a decent throw option its good for setting up for F-Air which can kill at high percents. U-Throw is decent as well being able to combo into U-Air (picking up a pattern here). B-Throw is decent to being able to combo into B-Air which as you already know can lead into other moves. But D-Throw is his best throw since the move throws your opponent to the ground which can lead into a plethora of moves like D-Tilt, F-Smash, Side-B, and D-Smash to name a few. But since the opponent is thrown to the ground they can tech it if they read it correctly but there are ways to counter act the tech. The first thing you can do is re-grab them which could lead into another throw or if they tech left or right you can follow which way they roll and re-grab them, if there is no tech you can jab reset them and grab them again for extra damage.

Specials:
*This section will be set up differently than others, since there is more detail to the special moves each has their own paragraph of information.

Neutral-B: Chef
G&W’s Neutral-B, Chef is a solid projectile each one that is fired goes at a different angle (though you can somewhat control the angle of them with your control stick) making it unpredictable and hard for your opponent to read making it an excellent spacing tool, they can also have landing cancel properties ala Fox and Falco so getting out bacon will be really quick and make it even more dangerous. Each piece of meat that is flung from G&W’s frying pan has their own unique damage and knockback and each are flung at random.
Side-B: Judgment
Judgment is by far the most unpredictable move in the game since every time you use the move you never really know what you will get next. Basically the move works like a slot machine, locking in a number that goes from 1-9 and always spouting out a random number each time and each time. The damage, knockback, and effect varies on each number, here is a list of there descriptions.
Horrendous: possessing no hitstun upon hit, doing very little damage, and if you miss it will actually tackle damage on to you.
2-
Weak: A slight improvement from 1, the 2 has actual hitstun and deals a little more damage and will not damage you and has the added effect of stunning your opponent.
3-
Okay: The 3 causes your opponent to fly behind you and it puts a flower on their head for extra damage. 3 also will break shields in one hit no matter what so it’s got that going for it.
4-
Decent: This one causes a decent amount of damage and semi-spikes so it’s good for gimping.
5-
Good: 5 is a very in middle possessing good damage, decent knockback for setting up aerial combs, can hit multiple times, and an electrical effect.
6-
Great: Possessing good power, and knockback, FIRE, and being able to kill at mid percents, the 6 is where Judgment really starts to shine.
7-
Smashing: Possess more knockback and power than 6 with the added bonus of dropping an apple upon landing but even if you miss it will still restore 10%.
8-
FREEZE: Though being a move that can't regularly kill the 8 is still great. Upon landing it will instantly freeze you opponent in ice as if a Freezie hit them. This will allow you to any move you want to them without any repercussions so I would suggest throwing out as many U-Smashes as possible for maximum effect.
9-
OHH S@$%: 9 is the cream dela crop of G&W’s Judgment, 9 possesses a slightly lager hitbox and WILL one hit kill upon impact if your opponent doesn’t shield but even then it will cause major shield stun and damage

Overall, Judgment is unpredictable and most of the times a good mix-up option…………..but there is probably still one over arching question that you are asking.
What da hell do the dots above the move mean? Well it’s actually very, very simple. One dot above the number means that the next number will be an odd number so it could be 1,3,5,7, or 9, while two means it could be 2,4,6,8. So predicting 9 is a lot easier with these dots but there’s a trick to predicting the numbers. Say you just got a 3 and the dot that appeared over it was one, than that means the next number will be odd but since you just got a 3 you won’t get that twice in a row s that moves your options down to 1, 5, 7, and 9. This same trick can be applied with even numbers as well.

Up-B: Fire
Fire is G&W’s “get away” move, coming out extremely fast and launching very high in the air his, Up-B is always a great out of shield option when pressured. But the move is not only a great move for escape but also for attack, once the move is released G&W entire body is engulfed with a hitbox making him a human cannonball (horrible analogy) but when he hits someone it only causes very minimal damage and knockback, BUT this still works because in P:M G&W can do any aerial move out of Up-B making it a great way to set up for combos. Plus if you have not used your second jump you can jump at the peak of height improving his options even further. Now Fires main purpose for G&W is his recovery and it does a good job of doing so. It send G&W very high as stated before making vertical recovery a breeze but horizontal recovery is lacking making uses as a vertical recovery is risky.

Down-B: Oil Panic
G&W’s Down-B; Oil Panic is the special move that you defiantly going to use the least being very situational and having a good amount of lag to it. Once the Down-B is executed, G&W will hold out an empty bucket in front of him. The purpose of this bucket is to pick up projectiles but it can only pick up energy based projectiles and not projectiles like Link’s arrows or Peach’s Turnips. Once a projectile lands in the bucket it will turn into Oil and fill 1/3 of the bucket so in total the bucket can store 3 projectiles at a time. Once the bucket has gotten a full charge the next time you use it will shoot out all the Oil very quickly and if your opponent is hit by it will be instantly KO’ed making G&W the only character that has two OKO’s. Now that all seems pretty easy to do but it unfortunately is not. The move has a good amount of end lag (even in P:M) and reading a projectile and getting the move out in time requires precise timing but luckily P:M has made it where you only need one projectile to release it you just need to press Down-B twice to release it, but of course it’s not strong enough to OKO but it still does have decent range and power making it a good gimping tool. Though there is one character that makes Oil Panic extremely deadly but more on that later. Overall, Oil Panic is a very situational but a very deadly move that will give 9 a run for its money!

Mobility:
G&W’s mobility has always been good from Melee to Brawl to P:M. G&W’s running speed is smack dad in the middle possessing average running speed. His aerial mobility is also average being able to move around the air with breeze (see what I did there) allowing his combo game in there air to shine. But the best way to move around the stage is with his “wavedash”. G&W’s wavedash is actually a little above average getting a decent distance while still keeping a constant speed. I also find myself taking full advantage of his waveland on stages with platforms; you can do some crazy S@%& with it, so experiment and see what crazy stuff you can do with G&W’s wavedash and waveland.

This was the basic overview of all of G&W’s moves and their utility now we will go over some “tips & tricks” that I learned and will help G&W even more so.

Tips & Tricks:

U-Air into Wavedash- As stated before U-Air’s startup and end-lag is EXREMLY low so I created a little trick to improve G&W’s mind game play. Basically you short-hop and do U-Air and before you hit the ground you air-dodge in any direction causing you to wavedash. Though simple and straight forward but after testing its utility for awhile I found that it does throw your opponent a curve ball if you approach them with it and wavedash backward I actually caused a Marth player to miss his F-Smash because of this allowing me to go in and grab him. So if you are brave enough you can try this though it’s utility is up to when and where you decide to use it.

Bacon Escape- Though silly it may sound “Bacon Escape” is a really good way to get away from your opponent while preventing them from approaching you. It’s really simple to do simply do a short-hop Chef and once you land you jump again and this time you wavedash backwards, then you do the short-hop Chef again then a wavedash, and rinse and repeat until you feel safe. Though it may sound stupid and repetitive it’s actually really useful especially on larger stages. Basically what you’re doing is moving backwards while firing assortments of meat at your opponent to prevent them from approach or add pressure. Plus with the added addition of big food the opponent may not bother approaching you at all if their wary. You can if you want to use it as an approach option for yourself as well and it does pretty good job at doing so though I find that sometimes the big food can throw me off but if you wish you can.

RARing- Though RARing hasn't really had a good track record in terms of uses due to being easy to read with most characters. But G&W can definitely take use of the pivot cancel really well since he has an odd and hard to tell pivot animation. It’s really simple to do frankly, first is start to build up a run then when you’re going to want to turn around and start running the other way but once you here the screech of his foot sliding jump, after you jump press forward then A and if you do it correctly you would have ended up doing you’re B-Air while still carrying the momentum of your run. This is a really good idea if you want to mix up your approach options but its full utility has yet to be determined.

Momentum Cancelling Oil Panic- Though I said Oil Panic wasn't that useful as an attack it sure does have a neat effect if you use it while flying back. Say you just got hit by Fox's F-Smash at 100% on Smashville the move will most certainly kill you with no DI BUT instead of using DI you can bring out Oil Panic by pressing Down-B. Once pressed you will notice that G&W has halted all backwards momentum allowing him to survive!

Overall G&W is one of those characters that have a lot of untapped potential; people just need to learn how to use him to the fullest and this applies in Melee as well. I would highly recommend you try him in both P:M and in Melee, I play in and both and he can be amazing if you push him to his limits. And maybe just maybe you will pick him up in both of them “If you are strong enough if you hold the Triforce of courage”-Internet Explorer. Wow I can’t believe I just quoted Internet Explorer………….Anyways I hoped this helped anyone who is trying to pick up G&W, and note I will update this soon with 3.0 right around the corner who knows what they’ll do to him. (I heard rumors of him getting a running speed increase *wink *wink)

Videos

Dakpo VS SmashFactor | Javi (Fox)

Dakpo VS Luck (Diddy Kong)

bidooof VS Emukiller (Marth)

Ambersandy VS Darkgun (Lucario)

3.0 Changes:

- Weight slightly increased
- Dash lengthened
- Forward Smash loop hitboxes removed, now possesses a weaker late flub hitbox
- Neutral B uses Heavy Landing lag (4 frames) instead of instantly switching to Wait upon landing
- Super food removed (Damn YOU!)
- 3 hammer's shield damage reduced

Ask me anything about G&W and I will have an answer -RiDEL :gawmelee: :gw:

Last edited:

&Y_

Smash Cadet
Nice guide!
Couple of things:
The 2 hammer stuns like a Deku nut on grounded hit, so it's not worthless. Judgment also can't be either of the last two numbers pulled, not just the previous.
Oil panic stops all momentum in the air. This lets Gdubs live to silly percents.
Crouch cancel into Down tilt is silly good. Works well against plenty of characters.
Also DACUS is silly good for tech chasing. Though you can't do the DACUS with z, as Gdubs only has one frame for the input.
Last thing I'd add is the grab cancel. Gdubs can cancel the first hit if his dash attack into a grab. This lets his dash attack have even more usability.

Fortress

Smash Master
I don't play or know the first thing about G-W, but does Oil Panic have to be filled at all to get that momentum cancel? Or can you just whip it out empty and get that?

&Y_

Smash Cadet
No, it doesn't have to be filled. The momentum cancel happens regardless whether or not it's empty our partially filled. I can't remember if it being totally filled does anything to the cancel, as I normally throw the oil out before the third charge.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Nice guide!
Couple of things:
The 2 hammer stuns like a Deku nut on grounded hit, so it's not worthless. Judgment also can't be either of the last two numbers pulled, not just the previous.
Oil panic stops all momentum in the air. This lets Gdubs live to silly percents.
Crouch cancel into Down tilt is silly good. Works well against plenty of characters.
Also DACUS is silly good for tech chasing. Though you can't do the DACUS with z, as Gdubs only has one frame for the input.
Last thing I'd add is the grab cancel. Gdubs can cancel the first hit if his dash attack into a grab. This lets his dash attack have even more usability.

Gee I forgot about all this!!!! Well I'll fix that right now. Actually I also made a mistake with his D-Smash on the ground it semi-spikes while in the air it launches people upward.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
the bacon is also insane for approaching. The damage on it is literally insane, and its floor canceled on top of all of that.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I like it!!
Is his fair really disjointed? I was playing Peach today and she usmashed the tip of fair and I got KOd... ? Maybe invisible hitbox or something.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
for real: judgement became my favorite designed move, on the basis that it has a nice balance btwn skill and luck

it requires good risk management, but you can get free kills off of it if you know what you're doing. if the next number's even, and 2 is already out, then there's no reason NOT to use it as an edgeguarding tool

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
As long as you don't count the fact that Fair comes out faster, stays around longer, has a bigger hitbox and is just as effective. Then yea, side B edgeguard all day.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
at jtm94, peaches up smash has a lot of vertical range, and fair doesnt have much range below GW. fair has a lot of range above and in front of GW. it doesnt surprise me that peaches upsmash beat yours out, should have done the key instead :p

about a couple of GWs moves, the pivot cancel you mentioned is actually just a reverse aerial rush, and its use is well known and determined. GW makes very good use of it since bair is very ranged, multi-hit, and has a landing hit making it great for pressue, and it also sets up very nicely for combos. also, ive actually gotten a lot of use out of ftilt. its great for stuffing approaches, and not a lot of characters can punish it since it has good IASA frames.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
at jtm94, peaches up smash has a lot of vertical range, and fair doesnt have much range below GW. fair has a lot of range above and in front of GW. it doesnt surprise me that peaches upsmash beat yours out, should have done the key instead :p

about a couple of GWs moves, the pivot cancel you mentioned is actually just a reverse aerial rush, and its use is well known and determined. GW makes very good use of it since bair is very ranged, multi-hit, and has a landing hit making it great for pressue, and it also sets up very nicely for combos. also, ive actually gotten a lot of use out of ftilt. its great for stuffing approaches, and not a lot of characters can punish it since it has good IASA frames.

Yea I didn't know the official name so I temporarily called it a "pivot cancel".

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
oh haha. yeah it came from brawl. definitely helps a few characters out in approaching since many have bairs that are equally or more useful than their fairs. GW should definitely make full of use of it since his bair is so useful and rewarding.

another thing that i think should actually be mentioned in his up b section is that his up b is actually useful for shield pressure. based on frame data, GW actually has frame advantage using the up b after any of his SHFFLd aerials (not 100 percent on nair , but no ones going to use nair to SHFFL anyways). you just have to make sure you can get close enough to have the hitbox connect. leads right into all of his combos too!

in fact on the topic of combos, if you do plan to occasionally edit the OP it might strengthen the guide to have a combo section, and just mention some of the moves that GW combos with (ie. dtilt, uair, throws, bair, dair, up b) and how some of his up b combos work so that new players can grasp a hold.

might want to take the stuff about super food out as well since thats no longer a thing.

overall lots of info in your guide though!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
oh haha. yeah it came from brawl. definitely helps a few characters out in approaching since many have bairs that are equally or more useful than their fairs. GW should definitely make full of use of it since his bair is so useful and rewarding.

another thing that i think should actually be mentioned in his up b section is that his up b is actually useful for shield pressure. based on frame data, GW actually has frame advantage using the up b after any of his SHFFLd aerials (not 100 percent on nair , but no ones going to use nair to SHFFL anyways). you just have to make sure you can get close enough to have the hitbox connect. leads right into all of his combos too!

in fact on the topic of combos, if you do plan to occasionally edit the OP it might strengthen the guide to have a combo section, and just mention some of the moves that GW combos with (ie. dtilt, uair, throws, bair, dair, up b) and how some of his up b combos work so that new players can grasp a hold.

might want to take the stuff about super food out as well since thats no longer a thing.

overall lots of info in your guide though!

Damn I hate the fact that they got rid of the Big Food it made an already unpredictable character more unpredictable. But yea I will remove it, though hopefully they bring it back at one point but maybe nerf it a little.

:(

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
If you think GnW is unpredictable, I'm not entirely sure what to say. The only time where unpredictability came into play was with Hammer at any time (Melee/Brawl), then they added super bacon which I guess added more unpredictability but, in my opinion, in a bad way.

This character is simple and fairly predictable overall. You can make reasonable guesses on approaches, punishes and even "unpredictable" things like DACUS. Hell, there's a general complaint that I hear from people that GnW is barely even interactive at all because you more or less know what they're going to do or have to do. I don't agree with this, but it helps emphasize my point.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
GW is just very under-represented. unfortunately i feel like a lot of people have sour feelings about him from melee and are still stuck on that. you dont see him represented a lot in tournament play so it doesnt help the speed at which his metagame develops and how we can analyze his MUs. i have very good hopes for GW in PM, hes been given so many useful tools and ways to kill efficiently, but i feel that not enough people are trying to analyze PM GW.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
If you think GnW is unpredictable, I'm not entirely sure what to say. The only time where unpredictability came into play was with Hammer at any time (Melee/Brawl), then they added super bacon which I guess added more unpredictability but, in my opinion, in a bad way.

This character is simple and fairly predictable overall. You can make reasonable guesses on approaches, punishes and even "unpredictable" things like DACUS. Hell, there's a general complaint that I hear from people that GnW is barely even interactive at all because you more or less know what they're going to do or have to do. I don't agree with this, but it helps emphasize my point.

This is mostly based on my experiences since my friends have trouble reading some of his moves do to his animations looking very stiff (fits him quiet well) compared to the rest of the cast.

But in you experiences it's the exact opposite, which is fine as long as you can work around it.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i mean he was tweaked so that his throws all look the same and his tech rolls as well. so that right there adds a lot to the guessing game aspect. i mean its literally impossible to DI his throws correctly without guessing, and hes much harder to tech chase than a lot of characters, aka captain falcon. that does add some unpredictability to the character. with an increased dash length now, it adds a bit to his neutral game, giving him some more leniency with his options. for approach, GW works exceptionally well with wave-tilting, he has chef, and even his bair and fair are great approach options. additionally, he can use his dair effectively to punish a baited approached. i would not by any means say that GW is predictable based on these points, but at the same time its not like he thrives on unpredictability like some characters do, like wario might.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
i mean he was tweaked so that his throws all look the same and his tech rolls as well. so that right there adds a lot to the guessing game aspect. i mean its literally impossible to DI his throws correctly without guessing, and hes much harder to tech chase than a lot of characters, aka captain falcon. that does add some unpredictability to the character. with an increased dash length now, it adds a bit to his neutral game, giving him some more leniency with his options. for approach, GW works exceptionally well with wave-tilting, he has chef, and even his bair and fair are great approach options. additionally, he can use his dair effectively to punish a baited approached. i would not by any means say that GW is predictable based on these points, but at the same time its not like he thrives on unpredictability like some characters do, like wario might.

True.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Neutral B uses heavy landing lag? Is that implying that landing with neutral B has has lag time. (Can someone elaborate?) I was just playing and noticed how SHFFing neutral B gives me zero lag, kinda like Falco's lasers. It's crazy good for approaching.

&Y_

Smash Cadet
Bacon used to auto cancel to wait in 2.6. This was apparently a glitch. It was Intended to be like Falco's gun, which has 4 frames lag so they fixed it.
Still a great move for approaching and controlling space.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Neutral B uses heavy landing lag? Is that implying that landing with neutral B has has lag time. (Can someone elaborate?) I was just playing and noticed how SHFFing neutral B gives me zero lag, kinda like Falco's lasers. It's crazy good for approaching.
I don't know what that means either. It still feels the same from 2.6 so I don't know what they are refering to.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
&Y_ already said it, but i guess to clarify: wait = 0 lag frames, heavy lag = 4 lag frames. GWs SHDB used to allow him to land in the wait animation, with 0 lag frames; however, this was not the way it was intended to be. what they really intended for was for it to function like fox and falcos lasers, using 4 frames of lag upon landing (heavy lag). 4 frames of lag is literally 1/15 of a second, so its not something you are really going to notice unless youve been using pre-3.0 GW for years, and he hasnt really been out that long. its hard for most people to notice unless you have an incredibly good feel for certain techniques.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
More or less, Flux has it right.

We had heavy (in this game) frame advantage on pan hit of chef before, which allowed for a bit more stuff on Shield than before, but now it's been normalized (not a glitch) alongside other moves of its type--- like the mentioned before Falco lasers.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know what that means either. It still feels the same from 2.6 so I don't know what they are refering to.
If you can't tell the difference you weren't acting as quickly as you could have before.

&Y_

Smash Cadet
I feel like the term heavy lag is what's confusing people here. No lag existed before, and now there's just a little. It went from instant to really fast. The lag is only heavy in comparison to how there wasn't any before.

Guide also needs to be updated in regards to the 3 hammer. Auto shield brake is gone, it's just very heavy shield damage now.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'd like to submit that his crouch can go under a lot of projectiles he can't bucket, and I've driven my friends bat**** by bobbing and weaving through their carefully placed zoning. Also WD back Dtilt is a great spacing tool as it lets you cover a good amount of ground, stay relatively safe, and beat out most things that it baits out.

Also, I suggest a more developed section on what G&W wants to be doing, and what mentality you should have when playing him, as having one of those for Mario on the old forums really helped me build up my game with him.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
If you can't tell the difference you weren't acting as quickly as you could have before.
Yea now that I'm looking at it I do feel some difference, it's a very small difference to me but it is still there.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i love facing link and pulling the old crouch trick haha. dtilt is definitely a great spacing technique. i also love ftilt as a spacing move since it clashes with literally everything, projectiles and all! such a good move for sticking up a wall in front of you while still giving you a really good amount of IASA to punish forced aerial approaches or rolls behind.

Galen The Wise

Smash Apprentice
I gotta ask: specifically for G&W, what are some of the methods to consistently getting his DACUS? I see people in competitive play use it often but I can't seem to get it.

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
I've Mapped my "L" Button to attack. So I Dash -> Down on the C-stcik -> Up (on the control stick) and L. Works fairly well for me, though it still needs practice. I find Gatling (same button inputs but slower since you need the first 4 frame of the Dash attack to hit) to be a bit more useful. The hit on shield is easy to cancel into a grab as well. A low percents it works on regular hit though.

My question is about the Momentum Cancel/Bucket Braking. Is there a timing to get it out quickly (like a meteor cancel)? Sometime it seems I do it and stop just off stage (though it seems to be always on low trajectory hits), other times I can't use it until I'm already far off stage.

&Y_

Smash Cadet
My question is about the Momentum Cancel/Bucket Braking. Is there a timing to get it out quickly (like a meteor cancel)? Sometime it seems I do it and stop just off stage (though it seems to be always on low trajectory hits), other times I can't use it until I'm already far off stage.
Depends on whether or not you're in hitstun. If you crouch cancel a hit, say Falcon's Knee, you get out of hitstun immediately and can bucket brake right away. If you don't manage to crouch cancel, you have to wait until the hitstun ends. Brawl doesn't have much hitstun, so you could do it right away regardless, PM does and so you have to deal with it.

Italia06823834

Smash Cadet
Depends on whether or not you're in hitstun. If you crouch cancel a hit, say Falcon's Knee, you get out of hitstun immediately and can bucket brake right away. If you don't manage to crouch cancel, you have to wait until the hitstun ends. Brawl doesn't have much hitstun, so you could do it right away regardless, PM does and so you have to deal with it.

Ok. So as long as you crouch before the hit you should be able to do it quickly? Even attacks that hit upwards?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Ok. So as long as you crouch before the hit you should be able to do it quickly? Even attacks that hit upwards?
Absolutely not. If you are put in the air you will be put into hitstun. CCing will not help you bucket break moves that hit at high angles. But CCing moves that hit horizontally will force you to slide along the ground. Sliding off edges does not put you in normal hitstun, and in those situations, you can bucket break.

GreenDude

Smash Cadet
Dude this guide is outstanding. I picked up G&W after watching him be played on Apex 2014 vods. What impressed me the most is how uncomfortable the matchup was to others and the wide variety of aggressive combos G&W could unleash. I love the umbrella the most.

Thanks again for the guide it was truly helpful.

rikochet

Smash Cadet
So instead of shorthop laser its short hop chef. Lmao i love g&w. Definitly gonna practice the U-Air wavedash. Also sometimes after the 7 hammer i get this vegetable/fruit looking item for recovery, it that supposed to happen ?

Controlled_Chaos

Smash Cadet
So instead of shorthop laser its short hop chef. Lmao i love g&w. Definitly gonna practice the U-Air wavedash. Also sometimes after the 7 hammer i get this vegetable/fruit looking item for recovery, it that supposed to happen ?
It is. 7 is a lucky number, so you get an apple and some percent down if you hit. If you miss, you get your percent down, but no apple. Pretty neat, huh? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom