• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A+B moves (simultaneous press)

Adrian G

Smash Rookie
My first post hehe. Ok, here it goes. :) i know of a simple way of adding more depth and moves to the game: moves that can be done by imputing both A and B simultaneously plus any of the directions (or neutral). This would also be affected by weather you are on the floor or airborne .What do you think? its very simple, and easily done, yet adds another layer of depth to the game. They could be refered to as smash specials or "super smashes" ;) They don't necessarily need to be stronger than the ordinary A button smash attacks. They are just MORE moves.
DISCLAMER: First of all I am aware that adding such a feature implies a very large addition/change to the game play as we know it. Second, I love the super smash series and i am not necessarily implying that it needs anything added to it nor am I saying that there is anything wrong with it. i will still be perfectly happy with this game. even if its just brawl with prettier graphics.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I would like to see the A+B input to activate Final Smashes, and keep the B button free for Standard Special Moves.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would like to see the A+B input to activate Final Smashes, and keep the B button free for Standard Special Moves.
That would make it too hard for four-year-olds to win basic brawl.
A+B is ingeniously simple and I welcome it wholeheartedly.
You sir have succeeded in making a great first thread, remain humble I beg.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would like it as an option (for a way to perform Final Smashes). I think that, given we can change which button does what movement or attack, we should be able to choose which button or input launches your Final Smash(es).

As for A+B moves... eh. I think giving every character a Z-air and "decloning" some of the current playable characters moves would be a higher priority.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I would actually like to see A-B combo moves like what is done in street figher
like B-B-A Up is such & such...etc or A-B-A Down is this & whatnot...etc

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
^no

that would for the most part ruin a lot of the charm of smash

smash is not a traditional style fighter, it didn't start out playing like one, it shouldn't start now, or ever.
Creating complex button combinations like "a b a down a right a left b" etc would pretty much ruin what made smash unique in the first place.

A+ B is about as far as i'd want them to go, and even then i'm skeptical of them doing it.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am find with the special B moves. Anything else makes it feel like a departure from the Smash formula. Maybe replace a move or two from various characters with newer and fresher move.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Being a SoulCalibur player, I use the A+B controls a lot, and I'd support the A+B moves if Sakurai were to implement them. However, it isn't necessary, and it might prove to be two time-consuming to implement, though it could further serve to declone the semi-clones (Mario-Luigi, Ness-Lucas, Falcon-Ganon, Fox-Falco-Wolf, etc.) by adding in extra attacks that are different for both in the pair.

On another note, yay first post. :awesome:

TL?

Smash Ace
Double button presses are inputs more geared towards Arcade Sticks. When designing a game, ussually double presses come into play once you've used up all the buttons already since pressing one button is a "cleaner/slightly more precise" input than pressing two together. Smash actually does not even have this problem. By default, we have 2 face buttons that both jump. If some new mechanic/move needed it's own button, it could easily be X or Y instead of A+B. Not to mention you have to make these double presses a bit lenient since you cant expect people to hit both buttons on the same exact frame. Sometimes this leniency can cause possibly unexpected techniques to arise like plink dashing in umvc3. A dash is not cancelable into another dash, but it is cancelable into a normal. Pressing two normals gives you a dash, and to be lenient normals are cancelable into dash for a few frames on startup so it basically results in dash to dash. This technique doesn't break the game or anything. The point is double presses require a lot more consideration than just giving something it's own button which is still an option for future smash games due to there being 2 jump buttons.

Adrian G

Smash Rookie
@TL?
I thought about that, but its just that i'm so used to having X and Y open for just jumping and i'm so used to A and B being the only attack buttons and i am used to where they are. I don't see myself having any trouble with A+B but i do see my self having trouble getting used to a third attack button. Lets use the pro controller as a reference:http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/wii_u_black_controller_pro.jpg i am a little concerned with the fact that the A and B buttons are placed so low on the controller. Imagine on top of that there is now a third attack button (most likely Y). That just sounds really uncomfortable. Now look at the placement of A, B, and X on the GCN controller. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/GameCube_controller.png The closest thing that comes to this set up on the Pro controller (or game pad for that matter), would be Y for specials, X for standard, and A for jumping. Using the actual A, B, and X as they are placed just seems very cramped. that is why i vote for A+B.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly, I think an easier thing to do would be to make the side special attacks be split up in two: forward special and back special.

I would not be in favor of that kind of change/addition, unless you could turn around easily so you could use either move easily. Although if such a change was done, a similar system with smash attacks (back smash and forward smash) and tilts (back tilt and forward tilt) would probably be done, increasing each characters' attacks by 3. If we have say a 50 character roster and each character had an original version of these moves, that would be 150 new moves (plus 3 moves for each newcomer or move change).

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
There are plenty of buttons. Technically we could do (without any repeats) A, B, X, Y, R, R1, L, L1, Dpad up, down, left, right, select and start.

While obviously most of these can't be used, I see 3 buttons that are rarely used (depending on you play style) X, R1, and L1.

No need for A+B combos yet, we still have 3 buttons to go! I don't know anyone who uses R1 and L1 and X unless they change moves around. (For example: I changed grab from R1 to X) But then that frees up R1!

Hopefully that makes sense... :D

Osric

Smash Rookie
You could always map a+b to another button (x, y, L2, R1, etc). That way people have the option of keeping default controls and doing the simultaneous press or mapping a button they don't use for anything else.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^no

that would for the most part ruin a lot of the charm of smash

smash is not a traditional style fighter, it didn't start out playing like one, it shouldn't start now, or ever.
Creating complex button combinations like "a b a down a right a left b" etc would pretty much ruin what made smash unique in the first place.

A+ B is about as far as i'd want them to go, and even then i'm skeptical of them doing it.
well to be fair, we do have A+L/R for default grabs, so it may not be that far really.

I could see it as an alternative to Final Smashes, or if they wanna go nuts even a form of evasion/parry or a move cancel.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No to parries unless we were to get a whiff animation. For move canceling, I want this so badly. Would speed up the game significantly.

Top Bottom