• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

__--**How to pwn with G&W**--__

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
*_*_*_*_*_INTRO_*_*_*_*_*

Hey, It's BAAMAGE.
I main with ICs, Zelda, and Meta Knight. Mabye I'll write a guide for them too someday. I already wrote a guide for ICs. It's in the... IC forums.

BTW, if you don't know Smash terms, I suggest reading up on them first before continuing. Yes, I'm too lazy to write em down.

Game & Watch is awesome. So here's my guide. Let's start off with Pros and Cons.

*_*_*_*_*_*_Contents: (As if I need em)_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

[~]........Pros and Cons
[@]........Move list
[$]........Racking up damage
[#]........Scenarios
[:(].......Closing
[:p].......GO GAME AND WATCH!!!

[~]*_*_*_*_*_Pros and Cons_*_*_*_*_*

----Cons:----

-Slow
-Horrible shield, spotdodges, and rolls
-Light
-B-moves aren't too useful.

----Pros:----
-Good wavedashing.
-Amazing Nair, Fair, and Dair.
-Outstanding vertical recovery.
-Best downtilt in the game and amazing uptilt
-All moves use disjointed hitboxes! (Other than throw of course)

As you can see, Game & watch isn't that bad. Of course, the fact that he is light and has basically no shield really bring him down. However his offence more than makes up for his defence.

Let's go over moves.

[@]*_*_*_*_*_*Move listing*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Speed: How long it takes to whip out this move. 10/10 being about the speed of Fox's Shine, 1/10 being about as slow as Roy's fully charged B attack.

Knockback: How far it knocks back the person. 10/10 being Ness's sweetspotted bat, and 1/10 being Kirby's jab. 0/10 is about Fox' laser.

Damage: The damage it causes. 10/10 would be around 20%, and 1/10 about 1%.
Priority: If two attacks hit each other at the same time, which one will follow through? I can't really think of any examples.

Stays out for: How long the attack stays out for while still able to do it's effect. 10/10 being Kirby's b (It can go nearly forever!)

Size: How large the hitbox is.

Lag: How much time it takes for the person to finish the attack and go back to his normal stance.

Use: Self explanatory.

**Remember that a 5/10 doesn't nessisarily mean horrible. It means it's on average with every other move in the game.

----A: Greenhouse----blows a puff of smoke from a tube.
Speed: 10/10
Knockback: 1/10
Damage: 1/10
Priority: 5/10
Stays out for: 2/10
Size: About mid-height, very small though.
Lag: Almost none
Use: Can be spammed against somebody who's cornered. Otherwise, there are better moves to use.

----Forward A (Ftilt): Lion---- Cranks out a chair in front of him.
Speed: 7/10
Knockback: 4/10
Damage: 5/50
Priority: 7/10 (Can be used to defend against some projectiles and a few weak attacks)
Stays out for: 8/10
Size: About the length of G&W. Mid-low height.
Lag: Stays out for a long time, but once attack is finished, almost none
Use: To put some distance from the opponent and you, or as an alternative for a shield. Not reccomended though.

----Down A (Dtilt): Manhole---- Opens up a sewer grate/ manhole on the ground in front of him.
Speed: 9/10
Knockback: 8/10
Damage: 7/10
Priority: 7/10
Stays out for: 6/10
Size: Very low, can hit through some shields, and little smaller in legnth compared to Roy's sword.
Lag: You are pretty much protected with a manhole spinning in front of you and you crouching on the ground, so the lag isn't much unless you miss, then you'll get punished from behind.
Use: Best dtilt in the game. Very high knockback, knocks em high into the air for a nice Nair, Uair, Fair, or even an up+b if you want. It's a good idea to use this after CCing. This can be used to break up a ground combo as well.

----Up A (Utilt): Flag---- Waves a flag in the air.
Speed: 8/10
Knockback: 6/10
Damage: 4/10
Priority: 9/10
Stays out for: 7/10
Size: Complete cover over G&W's head, and then some. Suprisingly large.
Lag: Not very much.
Use: With proper timing, you are invinsible from above. (Mabye a Bowser bomb might break through, but otherwise it's pretty good!) This is good for juggling if for whatever reason you don't want to just Nair or Uair him right away. It's a fun move, albeit an often overlooked one. Put in few each match and you'll do well.

----Forward Smash (Fsmash): Fire Attack---- Whips a match out in front if him.
Speed: 5/10 ( You can hit people above you while charging, but otherwise it takes a while for the match to get out in front.)
Knockback: 9/10
Stays out for: 6/10
Size: While charging, straight over G&W's head. While in front, about his body legnth. at midheight.
Lag: Quite a bit.
Use: This is usually a good finisher if you're fighting a fastfaller or if a Nair or Fair isn't good enough.

----Down Smash: Dsmash): Vermin---- Smashes the ground with two hammers on either side of him.
Don't use. You can sweetspot on the tips of the hammers, but nearly any other move would be better. Huge lag, almost no knockback... Ugh. Manhole, Match, or Flag instead if you want to hit somebody on the ground.

----Up Smash (Usmash): Helmet---- Puts on a helmet and flings his head around.

Speed: 4/10
Knockback: 5/10
Priority: 3/10
Stays out for: 3/10 (The actual attacking part isn't that long)
Size: The size of G&W/s head.
Lag: A mild amount.
Use: Flag is better for hitting above. Manhole is better for knocking people upwards. So Helmet isn't the best thing to use as an opening attack. Use if you're fighting a fastfaller and feel like juggling. Add in a couple of Flags to shake things up too.

----A in air (Nair): Parachute---- Pulls out a parachute. Doesn't actually affect falling speed.

Knockback: 9/10
Damage: 8/10
Priority: 9/10
Stays out for: 8.5/10
Size: The only part that isn't covered is underneath. It's huge and can hit almost anywhere.
Lag: It's an aerial. Basically none.
Use: I love this move. Amazing knockback, amazing priority, and an awesomely large hitbox. It's slower than a Fair, so use when the opponent can't attack at the moment. It's awesome for edgeguarding as well as a nice way to end a combo. Use when the opponent is in the air, or on a platform.

----Back air (Bair): Turtle Bridge---- Pulls out a turtle that attacks a few times before knocking back the enemy a little.

Knockback: 4/10 (Doesn't need it, this move is used mainly for it's combo-bility.)
Size: It can cover G&W's whole backside if excecuted at the proper tiems.
Lag: stays out for a while, even after hitting the ground.
Use: I love this turtle! Every G&W player has a name for their turtle (Or they should have one) Mine's named Jimanji. (I swear I've heard that name somewhere before!) The turtle does a regular amount of damage, but what makes it good is that the knockback is just enough to set up for another move. Good for chaining combos together. This can also be a makeshift Wall of Pain if you want.

EDIT:The name Jimanji is from a book/movie. Oh well.

----Up air (Uair): Spitball Sparky---- Takes out a horn and blows out two puffs of air.

Knockback: 6/10, 8/10 if both puffs hit
Priority: 6/10
Stays out for: 8/10
Size: Covers directly above him.
Lag: When he hits the ground, a little. This move can't be l-cancelled for some strange reason.
Use: It could be used to juggle fastfallers, but otherwise there's nothing to it. A Nair or a well-placed Fair can do a better job.

----Forward Air (Fair): Cement Factory---- Pulls out a cement brick in front of him. Most people have different opinions on what the object is (Other than a cement brick) I think it's a shoebox, but my one friend thinks it's a sandwich and my other friend Yazi think's it's a Directors Cut. (thanks to Kashakunaki for clarification)
Kashakunaki also added that it looks like a credit card as well.
Sweetspot by hitting em as soon as the move is executed. Remember to use mindgames so that the enemy won't just shieldgrab you, eh?

Knockback: 8/10
Priority: 8.5/10
Size: Pretty average, the size of G&W's Turtle.
Lag: An average amount, and yes this can be l-cancelled so not too much if cancelled.
Use: This is excellent for edgeguarding, knocking people off of the ledge, and just doing damage overall.

----Down Air (Dair): Donkey Kong Jr.---- Pulls out a key and stabs downwards. Almost like Link's Dair except it stays out less and does less damage.

Knockback: 8/10; Spikes if timed right
Priority: 6.5/10
Stays out for: 9/10
Size: Right beneath him.
Lag: Not much when L-cancelled. Which it can be.
Use: This is good to knock people off the ledge if you're already above your opponent. If you really practice alot, you can spike with it too.

EDIT: People are saying that the Bair and Nair can't be L-canceled either. Since L-cancelling does not make much of a difference with G&W, I don't plan on confirming this myself. Just l-cancel anyways whther or not it will actually do anything or not. Except with Uair, because it has been proven that L-cancelling does nothing.

oooo Special moves oooo

----B: Chef---- Pulls out a pan and starts flipping sausages.

The sausages move too randomly to be any good in battle. Instead, use the pan to spike if you can time it right. Rapidly tap B to make a "wall" that can block some projectile attacks such as Yoshi's eggs. This can also be used to intimidate your opponent a little into doing something stupid. AKA a simple mindgame. Use extremely rarely, mabye one every few battles if you're just playing with your friends, or basically not at all in tournaments.

EDIT: I also found out that you can Meat Cancel by short-hoping and tapping B. So this can cancel a jump immediatly. BTW, whenever you use short hop meat, you have to yell "MEAT CANCEL!" XD

----Up+B: Fire---- Summons two 2d-friends beside G&W to launch him high into the air with a trampoline.
Has AMAZING vertical recovery, but the sideways movement is minimal, only about as far as Luigi's or Mario's. Use for recovery, or after a Manhole if you're fighting somebody who's good at DIing and a Nair won't cut it.

----Side+B: Judgement---- Smashes a friend with a hammer.
1- Bad
2- Bad
3- Bad
4- Bad
5- Good
6- Good
7- Good
8- Good
9- AWESOME!!!!

As you can see, there are more good than bad, and the benifits are better than the deficits. First of all, it takes a while to load so remember to down throw first! Then just try out the move and see what happens. A nine is like Jigg's down+B, except with a much larger hitbox. A one damages the guy. 8 freezes, 7 gives food if items are on. The rest are the same, except with better damages and knockback the higher the number. Hope for the nine!

EDIT: 6 is like a panspike, so in fact, 6 is better than 7 unless items are on and you want food.

----Down+b: Oil Panic---- Takes out a bucket and holds it out in front of him.

Whenever you see a trigger-happy Falco, Fox, Samus, Ness, or other characters of that type, just whip this thing out for a second just to remind them excactly who it is they're fighting. Even if the shots don't fill up the bucket or they're not even firing at the moment, it's a pretty fun mindgame. Collect three energy shots and unleash it in a powerful move! It does all three moves' knockback and damage put together, and then some. So if you get three Shadowballs, Charge Shots, or PK Flashes coming your way, you had better get out your bucket. Remember the lag time after the bucket, so don't overuse it.

This only works with energy attacks.

[$]*_*_*_*_*_Racking up damage_*_*_*_*_*

You have to kill to win. You have to damage to kill. Here's some easy ways to do so:

-Good combo moves:
Usmash(Helmet)
A(Greenhouse )
Bair(Turtle)
Dair(Key)
Dtilt(Manhole)
Utilt(Flag)
Z(Throw)
B(Sausages)
Uair(Horn)
Whatever you feel like

-Good combo finishers:
SSmash(Match)
Nair(Parachute)
Fair(Shoebox/brick/sandwich)
Uair(Horn)
Whatever you feel like

This is only covering while you're comboing somebody. I don't have an answer for everything, you should use your imagination for any other issues in battle.

[#]*_*_*_*_*_Scenarios_*_*_*_*_*

Game and Watch is awesome. But in order to fully unleash his awesomeness we actually need to get to the enemy first. How do you do it? Depends on the situation. What if the enemy just died? What do you do? Depends on the situation.

Let's go over a few frequently-seen scenarios:

1- The start of the battle, you are on the offensive.............FAIR
2- The start of the battle, you are on the defensive.............CCd downtilt.
3- The start of battle, they Dair from above.....................Flag
4- They just died and are invinsible.............................Wavedash away, until they turn back to normal. If they just died, then they'd be seeking revenge and therefore be chasing you. You can also make yourself immortal by grabbing the edge, though you will be an easy target once you get back on stage.
5- you just died.................................................Match or Nair, or throw down to Judgement.
6- You knocked em off of the edge................................Edgehog or Dair. After Dair, use up+b immediatly to get back onto the stage.
7- You are knocked off of stage..................................If higher up, fair to up+b or air dodge. If lower, try to sweetspot up+b, though this can be difficult.

These strategies are subject to change as each battle is different. Remember that each person has their own style, and so you can mabye do a Bair instead of a Fair if you want, whatever. Just keep your mind open to possible alternate stratagies. Also, these scenarios don't cover everything, so don't rely on these too much for everything; Your opponent will quickly catch on and begin to pwn you.

[:(]*_*_*_*_*_Closing_*_*_*_*_*

I purposly didn't add in absolutely EVERYTHING you need to do in EVERY situation with G&W. That's because in a game like SSBM, you shouldn't rely completely on guides to lead you through. Improvisation, mindgames... Those are things you'll have to learn on your own. I'm not here to turn you into a robot that always follows the EXCACT reccomendations during a battle, and I'm not here to make you rely on a bunch of text so that you'd get pwned. No, I want you to take what you can, and incorperate it into YOURSELF. You have your own strategy, you need to use it. Each person is awesome in their own way... And so to ensure that you keep your style, I didn't cover everything so that even if you do follow this guide like it's your life, my own lack of information on things (Like character match-ups and how to counter a projectile spammer) You will be forced to use your own style to win. I'm really sick of these people who rely on guides like these all the time without doing anything themselves. So now I have somewhat prevented that.

Either that, or I'm just lazy and don't feel like giving strategies for everything. Whichever one makes you satisfied.

And so yeah.
I hope you will start to add my tips unto your strategy, and you will start to pwn tournaments, so that when G&W climbs up to top tier, everybody will be wishing they wouldn't have underestimated him and that they should have mained with him instead of Shiek.

EDIE: Heh, I'm picking up Zelda and Shiek now. Don't worry, I'll still be pwning with G&W, unless he is taken out of Brawl. :@ Then I'll be forced to go with Shiek.

[:p]*_*_*_*_****Go Game and Watch!****_*_*_*_*

w00tage.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
If I'm not mistaken, Bair can't be L-Cancelled. Also, I think the Fair is a... well, I forgot what I used to think it was, people have brainwashed me. My friend thinks it a credit card.

Also, I think you've heard the name Jimanji from the book/movie Jimanji. You know, the one with the board game that you have to beat or else it never ends and whatever happens in the game happens in real life. Good movie.

Not a bad guide. It could be better, though.

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
If I'm not mistaken, Bair can't be L-Cancelled. Also, I think the Fair is a... well, I forgot what I used to think it was, people have brainwashed me. My friend thinks it a credit card.

Also, I think you've heard the name Jimanji from the book/movie Jimanji. You know, the one with the board game that you have to beat or else it never ends and whatever happens in the game happens in real life. Good movie.

Not a bad guide. It could be better, though.
Oh, okay, thanks. I know it could be better, it's my first guide. I'll do some editing.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I believe the 9 is the best, followed by the 6 (which is like a quicker, stronger panspike firey thing) then the freezy 8 which if mindgamed correctly you can follow it up by another hammer because when they get out of the ice cube they fly upwards...

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
i also love how u didnt mention, the nuetral, back air and up air ALL cant be l canceled. theres way to get around thats like... skill. but NO they cant be l canceled.

DID YOU KNOW, GW is lighter than peach? another reason(s) i dont main GW ......

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I may add some videos of G&W stuff... If I can get the videos from my friend

BTW, his name is Flan

You may know him, he's alot more serious about the game then I am, so he has all of our videos recorded. He's cool.

And so yeah. Bump.

u.f.o-yazi

Smash Rookie
hizomahgad majorly uber ubernestness guide Aaron(or should I say Baamage i dont know and i dont really care either one) oh yeah see you in class.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
nice guide, it's very to the point and specific. btw i'm pretty sure the gw flag has more priority than the bowser bomb hehehe.

Top Bottom