• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9/20/08 Racine, WI The M.P.S Tournament

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Okay lemme clarify something:

to those coming to the tournament I can't stress enough that we need people to bring chairs and of course gaming gear. with out it the tournament would be hella uncomfortable.

3rd Strike is the ONLY side tournament we can run. The mall closes at 8pm and I want to be able to finish all the tournaments befrore than. I'm on a time straint with Brawl. So Brawl has priority of space needed and TVs available...no exceptions. My goal is to get 5 TVs running for brawl.

people bring extention cords...it'd be a big help.

PS3's r needed!

I'll have a small gathering at my place after the tournament. No Brawl will be played though.

Everyone remember to have fun and be on time when I call u. I'm callin yha name 3 times, no show = dq'ed...end of story!

if I can think of anything else I'll post more later!

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
sf3 will be starting mid through the brawl tournament.

and there will mainly be singles for brawl...but if have time and interest we could run doubles.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
call me ******** but what does VC is banned stand for Versus classic?
VC stands for variable canceling. Some moves and back throws (I think all, Webster can correct me) can cancel their animation completely by pressing G,2,2.

I would think only throw VC's would be banned though, since ones like mitsirugi's, although really good, aren't completely broken.

LG7

Smash Apprentice
I know you asked for this in the WI thread...
But I figured you'd see it here before you'd see it there...

ANYWAYS!
Sorry it took so long to make, been real busy lately :(

But here it is!

Oh, and for some reason... I really wanted to put your name as D2
I don't know why... but I did... lol

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Good tourney, everyone. I couldn't believe the turnout, and it was great to see all the new faces! Hope to see all of you guys continue your progress.

LG7: lol, wario. Good games, and very solid metaknight. Work on creating and waiting for openings though instead of blindly attacking my shield or ground dodging. You have a lot of potential, for sure, though.

Ryzen: Congratulations on third place! Don't try and play a character just because in theory they counter another if you don't know the matchup. Stick with what you know and what is your best, that's all you can do.

Dragmire: Ganon's fun and all, dude, but your snake is >>>>>>>> your ganon. Maybe not drop ganon completely because I'll admit that *******'s pretty fun, but for tourney's sake, go snake (lol, I rhymed)

Seifer: **** man, your ROB just started destroyin people left and right! Crazy neutral air game and down smash game. Got some pretty good KO's with that stuff.

Ninja: Not too bad of a Dedede, but you could be much more efficient with the chain grabbing. Overall not bad, and it was good to see the new face. Hope you stick around and come to the next monthly whenever that may be.

Princess Aura: Fantastic improvement, what else can I say. You've gotten much more aggressive, and even though you did kill yourself in your final set, I think you should be pretty proud with how well you did. Hope to see your game keep getting better :)

Peach: Wonderful peach. Did very good float stuff and was just overall impressed with your pressure and turnip game. Hope to see you comin to more as well, and hope you had fun!

Loki: Verrrrrrry banana-ee diddy kong. definitely gotta mix up your attacks though. Diminishing returns is just gonna kill you if you just dash attack and banana over and over. Throw in some up tilts (probably his best move at low percents) and other smashes. Down smash and forward smash are all great right out of shield, give 'em a try instead of always rolling. Standing in your shield isn't always bad thing, so don't dodge so much :)

Capps: LOL WTF? Good to see you again, been a long *** time since our good old melee days. Your match against Paul hurt my head though.... you were like 5 feet and just shooting lasers over and over but alas, he didn't try to block or anything :-P Good to see you again anyway :)

Webster: As usual glad to see you. Didn't get to talk much since there were sooooo many people at this tourney and it was super busy, but it was still good to see ya. Next time... you owe me a china buffet!! ARRRGH

Sheik: You really have a pretty good brawl game goin for ya, it's just that sheik can't kill fatasses like snake, and snake has no problem with killing lightweights. Very agressive and tilty just like your melee sheik. Keep it up!

Andrew: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GOING BACK AND GETTING YOUR WII ZOMG YOU'RE THE GREATEST!

That one guy who hit me with a 9 judgment: good game... You know who you are...:-P

Anyone else I may have missed: Sorry I don't remember everybody, I don't even remember all the guys I played! But I had a blast having smash talks and conversations with everyone, playin friendlies, and seeing how everyone faired against each other in the tournament. Hope everyone had fun and hope to see a lot of you again next time :)

-Tapion

Dragmire

Smash Lord
wow I did way better than I thought SHOUTOUTS

Tapion: my snake is better than ganon because ganon sucks but yeah fun ****

Webster: great tourney, lots of fun, good fights thanks

Ryzen: way to chaingrab like a ***** seriously that was nice lol ganon VS falso I never stood a chance

LG7: I forgot to thank you for my sig Oh well great fun (the epic falcon fight was the best part of the night)

Seifer: way too close that last suicide was probably the only reason I won

Sheik: was it you who I saw trying to get a Timid/Modest Darkrai or someone else still great fun

Straw hat kid?: you called me you Idol or something I dunno but you played a great DDD

everyone else who I forgot it was a wonderful tourney

Seifer

Smash Rookie
Excellent fun, had a great time today, being my first tourney and all >_>

All the training seems to be paying off, though I have to do it with Savior Godot and Dragmire. Yes my life sucks.

Webster: Thanks for hosting that tourney so I could get into the scene. Had a lot of fun there :D hope to see you again sometime

Tapion: Thanks for noticing me. Too bad my ROB game didn't get going till after Aura destroyed me. Haha. Hope to play you some time to truly test my abilities. Your Snake scares me.

Dragmire: Stick with Ganon. Screw Snake. Ganon is underused and thus awesome. It also gives your opponents a small hope of winning till you stomp them into oblivion. That last match was ridiculous too D: almost got you that time.

Savior Godot (Drag's bro): Awesome Wario game. Love to see such a silly character that I loathe oh so much destroy the opposition.

Aura: Your Zelda is nuts. Scary. Very scary. Made me feel inadequate in comparison really :D

Sheik: Good to see such an awesome character as Sheik being used. Though I never played melee and know that she got a huge nerf, I still like the character and respect you for sticking with what you like.

Peach I fought against: Same as Sheik. Great to see such characters used in tourney levels.

Seven: Great to see some rival Meta on the field. We'll need to have a match sometime :D

Yeah, though Meta is my main main, I'm working on focusing more on my ROB game because of Meta's hideously huge popularity. Just the kinda guy I am.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Do we have any results? I'm looking for top8 and characters used.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
1.) Tapion (Snake)
2.) LG7 (Metaknight)
3.) Ryzen_Xia (Falco)
4.) Dragmire (Snake/Ganon)
5.) Seifer (R.O.B.)
5.) Ninja (Dedede)
7.) Princess Aura (Zelda/Toon Link)
7.) Peach (Peach)

the rest are soon to come, but there's your top 8 I believe. Check the results thread in the near future, webster may be puttin it up.

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was the one with the DS trying to get a perfect Darkrai...finally got it once I got home a few hours later.

I was also the guy using sheik, hence the name...I KNOW she cant kill anyone save for a random DDD. (sorry Leo, lol) This was my FIRST brawl tournament since the game came out and I needed the practice, I figured if my sheik could get one kill on someone like *coughtapioncough* I cant be doing that bad. I was actually playing defensively the whole time...the few split seconds I could get in CQC against Snake, I did. Same thing for Seifer's ROB.

I really wouldnt be Sheik, if I didnt continue to use her. But I wont be getting too many kills as her >_>

Lethal Beauty

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! The tourney turned out great! I'll be uploading results soon on Allisbrawl.com so everyone can see it in full detail. I'll post shout-outs, too. By Webster's request, these will probably be in a separate post, so keep a look out. :D Thanks, everyone!

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was the one with the DS trying to get a perfect Darkrai...finally got it once I got home a few hours later.

I was also the guy using sheik, hence the name...I KNOW she cant kill anyone save for a random DDD. (sorry Leo, lol) This was my FIRST brawl tournament since the game came out and I needed the practice, I figured if my sheik could get one kill on someone like *coughtapioncough* I cant be doing that bad. I was actually playing defensively the whole time...the few split seconds I could get in CQC against Snake, I did. Same thing for Seifer's ROB.

I really wouldnt be Sheik, if I didnt continue to use her. But I wont be getting too many kills as her >_>
hahaha, this is true. If your name allows it, however, I would suggest after knocking your opponent away (meaning off the stage at a reasonable percentage), jumping away and turning in to zelda for KO potential. All your moves' knockbacks get reset to normal for zelda, and uptilt, upsmash, and forward smash all KO relatively low. Then after you get the kill, turn back to sheik quickly, and all your moves for her are also set back to normal strength. They really made brawl's zelda/sheik combo pretty lethal with sheik's amazing ability to rack up damage, and zelda's amazing ability to KO with quick powerful moves.

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
Wow that tournament was so fun!!! I'm most def gonna be keeping track of the local WI and possibly Chicago tourneys. And I'll work on that chaingrab, Tapion. I hope to see all of you guys again soon =D -Ninja

Sheik_the_Geek

Smash Journeyman
hahaha, this is true. If your name allows it, however, I would suggest after knocking your opponent away (meaning off the stage at a reasonable percentage), jumping away and turning in to zelda for KO potential. All your moves' knockbacks get reset to normal for zelda, and uptilt, upsmash, and forward smash all KO relatively low. Then after you get the kill, turn back to sheik quickly, and all your moves for her are also set back to normal strength. They really made brawl's zelda/sheik combo pretty lethal with sheik's amazing ability to rack up damage, and zelda's amazing ability to KO with quick powerful moves.
I plan on using Zelda A LOT more once I get all her moves down.

LG7

Smash Apprentice
Alright!
Time for the shoutouts... A bit late, but hey... better late then never!

anyways...

Tapion - Well, did a lot better against ya this time around... But I've still got a lot to learn it seems... I'm gonna keep practicing, and try not to do those things you said I shouldn't do, so that maybe I can start winning some matches vs. you. :chuckle:
Good games though, they were a lot of fun.

Dragmire - I wanted to you play youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Oh well, maybe next it seems... but it was nice meeting ya.

Ryzen - Nice Falco, that Chaingrabbing was a ***** & a half to deal with. Good Job.

Ninja - haha, DeDeDe... I hate that ****ed penguin... but he's so happy.
Throw more Waddle Dee's! :laugh:
You were a pretty cool D3 to play, was nice to meet ya!

Loki - OMG THE BANANA'S! :monkey:

Savior - **** man, your Wario almost had me, I thought I was done for, don't know how I made that comeback... But good game, keep it up!

Faye - my Samus spreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :laugh:
GG though. :chuckle:

Webster - Thanks so much for hosting another Tourney, can't wait for the next one!
It's always a good time. :bee:

That's about it I think, uh... Dance parties?

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
Ello Dragmire ^_^. Yeah, did you see those guys pwning the DDR machines? I was positive one of them was going to make a serious hole in one of the arrows XD... You know, the venue owner could make a lot of money by bringing a soda machine and bubble-gum dispenser at one of these tourneys.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
webster - <3 webster of course. china buffet was pretty meh, but your commentary made it worth it.

tapion - yea, pretty random me being there. first time since big c's tourney that i played 1v1 brawl. i have no idea how to play this game yet. =P i had a good time tho. nice job w/ the win. i expected no less.

crashman - you shouldve been there. Q_Q

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Oh man Andy...you guys pretty much made this tournament the best ever!

Big thanks to everyone of you for making this tournament awesome!

Cant wait to see most of yous in July!

And louie, thanks 4 the sig!

Top Bottom