• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
They'll probably give him an English voice. I don't mind the English voice at all, I think Steve Burton does a pretty good job, but I do also love Takahiro Sakurai voicing him.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
My only pet peeve is that Cloud doesn't run; he dashes above ground like in Dissidia which is more of a repeated action instead of something Cloud just does... Cloud doesn't fly... wait... never mind... He's a cloud; of course he'd be in the air. Still, they could have made it so he dashed above ground and then ran... Oh well.

Also, apparently, after comparing his animations with FFVII and Dissidia, his Blade Beam and Cross Slash look different; Blade Beam is a downwards slash in FFVII and Dissidia, but it's an uppercut in Smash 4 while FFVII's Cross Slash is a diagonal slash up, horizontal slash, and the it looks like the kanji is the third hit, Dissidia's Cross Slash is a slash down, slash to the left, and slash to the right, and Smash 4's is two downward slashes in a X formation, a low horizontal slash, and an uppercut which is similar to Zack's Chain Slash in Crisis Core except his involves two downward slash in a X formation, a low slash downwards followed by an immediate low horizontal slash, and then a slash downwards. This is really weird since Mega Man and Ryu are so true to their series - Mega Man feeling like you're playing Mega Man and Ryu's unique block and buttons -, so you'd think Cloud would be based entirely on FFVII with Dissidia filling in for moves he doesn't have in FFVII to work in Smash.

Edit: Typed "Braver" instead of "Blade Beam".

Last edited:

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Every other character that has an English voice had an English voice in their trailer, so it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't

That being said, Daddy Sakurai, please let Up throw into limit break'd Up B be a kill set up please

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We might end up get some Mii fighter outfits based on Square Enix characters as well, not just from Final Fantasy.
Mii costumes I hope to see...

Final Fantasy costumes
Chocobo (confirmed)
Moogle
Black Mage
White Mage
Cecil Harvey (I really liked FF4)
Sephiroth (I think this one is practically guaranteed)

Dragon Quest costumes
Slime
Yangus (my favorite DQ character and my husbando)

Chrono Trigger costumes
Crono

Bubble Bobble costumes
Bub
Bob

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd be down with Black Mage, Zidane, Zack, and Lightning Mii costumes. Barret would be good for the Gunner too.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
I can't wait to pit Cloud against the White Mage:
Hahahaha, that's amazing. All of this right here.
Too bad the blue alt doesn't look like the Black Mage. xD

I'm gonna try and play as many FF games as I can before he comes out though.
Cool. As someone who's played all of the main installments, I recommend 2 (4), 6, 7-ish, 8 and 9 for great stories and characters. As for gameplay 5, 3 and 10 are great. They all have great music. All in all the FF series is a lot of fun. Enjoy it!

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
"Limits are meant to be broken!"
--Cloud Strife
Cloud Strife's English (U.S.)/ESRB promotional trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3CY31kMJ4
(I love the little "kalup" visual and sound effect at the end of Cloud's isolated promotional trailer that indicates that Square Enix is one of the companies now involved in the development of Super Smash Bros. 4. :3)

I posted more comments (first, second) in the news thread, but I'm still bewildered that Cloud's actually in Super Smash Bros.! Final Fantasy is a good series to represent, and if any fighter is hailing from there, it's easily Cloud Strife or "Final Fantasy 1 Black Mage" before anyone else, in my opinion. Nice to see that Cloud possesses a "Limit Break" mechanic that will help to distinguish him and distance his playstyle from the myriad of other swordsmen.

Hopefully, Cloud's inclusion paves the way for the Final Fantasy 7 HD/remake to be on "Nintendo's NX console" (or, though unlikely, the Wii U).. Even better, Cloud's thought-unlikely-yet-actually-realized appearance gives "hope within hope" to a slew of other unlikely fighters!

Quoting from the guys thread.

I found a thread but it got locked pretty damn quickly because we just can't have nice things.

Remake on NX maybe?

Cloud's attire from the Advent Children movie. Also wore it in Kingdom Hearts 2.
Cloud Strife SSB4 Support Thread - http://www.smashboards.com/threads/cloud-strife.331771/
Is this the thread you found? It's at least consoling to know that Cloud Strife at least had some supporters on these forums..

In the trailer, on Town and City Cloud hit a balloon carrying cake for Villager. Cloud did a favor for a Villager. Sakurai put a sidequest reference in his reveal trailer...
...the motorcycle chase (That shout-out in the trailer was glorious)...
Can someone clarify what these two references are? I assume they'll be added to Cloud's SSB4 SSBWiki trivia section at some point, but still... (I'm guessing one of these has to do with Cloud lugging away Wario's motorcycle in Cloud's reveal trailer..)

LOL; I saw someone pointing that out elsewhere. It's hilarious that Ike is the one who deals a blow to that would-be Cloud fan, given the "Ike vs. Cloud" focus in Cloud's SSB4 promotional trailer. :laugh: This person who wrote this magazine submission must be happy, too!

Also, I just realized that the "Fight Woosh" (screen blur/wipe scene) right after Cloud's trailer tagline appears (around timestamp 1:00) references the Fight Wooshes of the original Final Fantasy games when you engage in random-encounter battles with other foes, with Cloud and Mario+Kirby+Samus being situated on opposing sides of the battlefield! Neat reference!

And if "Let the Battles Begin!" is the song that plays right after the trailer tagline appears, that song is amazing; the snippet is probably going to be stuck in my head for a while.. XD And Cloud's "gliding" dash just looks so cool/smooth..

Lastly, this teaches me to pay more attention during Nintendo Directs.. During the Final Fantasy Explorers segment, I was like "Blah blah blah, 3DS RPG, okay, now bring on the Super Smash Bros. announcement!" Lo and behold... XD

EDIT: Also, today I learned that Final Fantasy has Mature (M)-rated games - namely, Final Fantasy Type-0 and potentially Final Fantasy 15.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Do you think the midgar stage will get any bravely default music?
It's quite possible.
So I've gone back and re-watched the trailer a good half-dozen times or so, and I think that Cloud's range will be fine, probably comparable to Roy or Marth, but (hopefully) without the need for sweetspots. It's kinda odd; his sword is the same length as in previous games, but he holds it closer to his body, like Roy.
Braver is a downwards slash in FFVII and Dissidia, but it's an uppercut in Smash 4
I think his F-air will be Braver, and his Up-smash is just... some kind of uppercut?

Hmm. Upper-"cut." Hah.

Oh, and it turns out a lot of us missed this little reference:
Zelda Aerith Cloud Smash.gif

Last edited:

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
I posted in a different thread about Cloud's announcement that wound up getting locked because it actually belonged in this thread, so i'm just going to copy-paste it here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
in all honesty i have never played a Final Fantasy game, nor have i played much of any Kingdom Hearts game. but this announcement i am actually very happy with for a few reasons.

the first is that nobody was expecting it even when they were expecting an announcement like this. i mean lets be honest. everyone was on the edge of their seats waiting for THEIR character to be announced, but instead we got what some can only assume is a Pre-ballot character. (i'm thinking pre-ballot till the December Smash direct declares otherwise.) and i can't wait to try him out.

which brings me to my second reason, he fits the "iconic-ness" of the other 3rd parties by representing the RPG genre, a title arguably contested by Shulk. however, i feel Shulk represented Xenoblade itsself rather than the entire genre of RPG's. Cloud covers that base IMO.

and thirdly, he doesn't look like the standard "sword wielder" we are accustomed to, he has a Limit Meter? sounds like a mix between a Charge Shot and Shulk's Monado Arts. which in and of itself becomes something original. also, I could be very wrong on this, but i'm thinking he may not actually have a counter.

so all in all, i think i'm still excited for him post-reaction. he definitely wasn't on my radar for my wanted Smash Characters. but i feel he's still deserving of the spot on the roster. whether he'll be a character i'll main/secondary i will hold off on till his actual release.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Looks like i'm going to be hanging around these parts now

Cloud in Smash, christ what a day

Thor

Smash Champion
To be 100% honest, if it were any FF series character, I'd have chosen Lightning, only because stoic females tend to be top tier in this game [heh]. (Also, feel free to draw relations between Claire Farron's moniker, my username, and profile picture... I can't stop you : P )

That said, very happy to see Cloud in the game [frankly any final fantasy character is sweet, although I do thoroughly like Cloud and he's the obvious choice for any FF character getting into smash]. These boards are gonna be packed for a while...

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I've pinched myself and watched the trailer 30 times.

is this real life?
It is, brother/sister.
Funny thing. I thought the most emotional thing I was going to experience this week was the conclusion to the StarCraft 2 trilogy, wrapping up the story of a series I've been playing for over ten years now. Then this comes along and I'm practically hysterical.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I've gotta be honest, I'm really hyped for Cloud, but until he's available for purchase, I won't be going on this social forum.

I really want to be surprised when I play as Cloud. I've been looking into Smash speculation for years, but I found that speculating about movesets and strategies can sometimes water down the experience of learning a character from scratch. I've spoiled almost every character's moveset for myself, but not this time.

is this real life?
Is this just Final Fantasy?

Last edited:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
It is, brother/sister.
Funny thing. I thought the most emotional thing I was going to experience this week was the conclusion to the StarCraft 2 trilogy, wrapping up the story of a series I've been playing for over ten years now. Then this comes along and I'm practically hysterical.
im not that huge on FF7, but like I know how huge this is, like we've gotten another titan in the roster now.

I'll admit that I've always said that the Dragon Quest slime would be more likely, but look where we are now!

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
To be 100% honest, if it were any FF series character, I'd have chosen Lightning, only because stoic females tend to be top tier in this game [heh]. (Also, feel free to draw relations between Claire Farron's moniker, my username, and profile picture... I can't stop you : P )

That said, very happy to see Cloud in the game [frankly any final fantasy character is sweet, although I do thoroughly like Cloud and he's the obvious choice for any FF character getting into smash]. These boards are gonna be packed for a while...
ZSS already exists for stoic top tier female.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Bad news, Cloud may be a lightweight. Why? Because he floats along the ground as he dashes. The other two that do this are Rosalina and Mewtwo, both of whom are regarded as heavyweights in their respective games but are reduced to lightweight status in Smash. Being a lightweight with a recovery that barely beats out Doc really hinders his survivability.
:4palutena: Both it doesnt matter I mean watch the size of that sword!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsSASHeOqU

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP

is this real life?
It's actually not. You're still dreaming. Specifically, you're in this really trippy dream where you see a bunch of yourselves just floating around in this weird green liquid, probably because you've been on acid for years now and can't tell the difference between dreams and reality.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think his F-air will be Braver, and his Up-smash is just... some kind of uppercut?

Hmm. Upper-"cut." Hah.

Oh, and it turns out a lot of us missed this little reference:
View attachment 82640
Whoops, I typed Braver instead of Blade Beam.

As for the reference... IS NINTENDO TELLING US ZELDA'S GOING TO DIE IN ZELDA WII U!? Oh wait, they already did that in Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks... I think in Zelda II and some other Zelda games I don't remember, but the main thing is that she got better. :p

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
I like that this thread is named 7th Heaven, 7HVN is the name I use in melee. Cloud looks pretty hype, to.

Last edited:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
It's actually not. You're still dreaming. Specifically, you're in this really trippy dream where you see a bunch of yourselves just floating around in this weird green liquid, probably because you've been on acid for years now and can't tell the difference between dreams and reality.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Thoughts on the limit breaker?

It seems like it may be a charged neutral b, like DK's Giant Punch, or Sheik's needles.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I just wanted to come by and say that I will be subscribing to these forums, for relevance. That said, I always told myself that if Cloud was ever added in Smash Bros., I wouldn't care at all, or be upset that they didn't add a more Nintendo-oriented Square character, like Cecil, or Geno... I've never been more happy to be so wrong. I'm probably picking up Cloud as a sub main, if not a primary main.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I rewatched the trailer and he really does glide instead of run.

Oh...
Yeah... His jump looks a bit different than in Dissidia too; for his ground jump, he leaves his Buster Sword hanging instead of holding it close to his body like a shield in the Dissidia (2015) for double jump Buster Sword is closer to his body than in Dissidia and he spins "vertically" instead of almost parallel to the ground like in Dissidia (2015). Roll... Well, haven't seen his back roll, but his forward roll seems to be based on his Dissidia (2015) side step rather than the past games where he actually rolls. Guessing his back roll will be a step back in Dissidia. Yes, I'm an animation nut.

Also, his hair doesn't look like Dissidia (2015) or the remake; it's more like FFVII and the older Dissidia games where the spikes are taller, but there seems to be less spikes.

What. Where am I. Who SUMMONed me?
Oh. cloud thread. neat.

Yeah Bravely default music would make me flip my ****. Agnes was my 4th most wanted (even if I knew it was hopeless) so some representation would be fantastic. Especially with how good the soundtrack is. (seriously. Some of the best songs i've heard period.)

Cloud looks awesome. I have only played some of FF1 (meh) but I plan to play more and I love the moves he has. Will try him out when I can. And try FF7 when I can too :p

Maybe i'll stick around maybe I wont.

Enjoy yourselves. And don't go out like a Buster (sword)

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
My favorite character of all time from my favorite game of all time, in Super Smash Bros.

Never did I think "this is a likely character". We all thought it was impossible. Goddammit, the day of reckoning is here.

And I couldn't be more excited.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
So, if I have some decent knowledge from the Great Sword & Dual Blades class in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, you think I would do fine with this character? I love the names of this guy's attacks.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Thoughts on the limit breaker?

It seems like it may be a charged neutral b, like DK's Giant Punch, or Sheik's needles.
That or Down B, with Blade Beam taking the other slot, Climhazzard being Up-B (no surprise) and Cross Slash being Forward-B, most likely.

Top Bottom