• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ike does pretty well against bad Rosalinas
Fixed.

Ike is super easy for Rosalina to deal with.

----------

Anyway, his official render from the DLC page:

As far as competitive play is concerned, I don't think Cloud looks to be anything to write home about. But he looks super fun for casuals (and really they would be his target demographic).

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Don't even know what to do with myself with my two favorite series in one game. Now if only I could get Ramza somewhere down the line.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Don't even know what to do with myself with my two favorite series in one game. Now if only I could get Ramza somewhere down the line.
More of a Delita guy myself. He was honestly my favorite part of Tactic's story.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Character isn't even out yet
I've been playing this game series long enough to be able to decently analyse characters before they come out.

He doesn't look terrible by any means and he definitely looks FUN to play as, but his attacks seem to have surprisingly short range considering the Buster Sword, and he doesn't look like he attacks terribly fast. Looks like he also has to think about those limits.

I'm sure some top players will put him to use but he's no top tier slayer or something. That much is obvious by just looking at the trailer.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I would not know so i think it is best to wait for him to come out and then judge.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Who would have ever thought that we'd live to see Cloud Strife in Super Smash Bros.

I loved Final Fantasy VII as a kid, but my save file didn't work because I didn't have a Playstation memory card. We'd have to leave the Playstation 2 on all the time just so I could go back to play it! But there are so many memories I have of the game, the opening sequence, the motorcycle chase (That shout-out in the trailer was glorious), and even managed to get up to the Nibelheim Incident, all without a save... Until I got killed by a randomly overpowered swamp monster.

Regardless, I had a slight joke foreshadowing something about Final Fantasy after they announced Final Fantasy Explorers, and at the end, when I saw the stars and heard those first notes, I already knew who it was going to be. Cloud Strife. I couldn't believe it, but my wildest dream has come true.

A mighty congrats to all those who supported Cloud, no matter how soft or loud your voice was. This hero is a true legend amongst the RPG community. Welcome to Super Smash Bros, Cloud.

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
His Limit breaks are gonna have to be nerfed Which they have plenty of time to do so Its like lucarios Aura....Shulks Thing forgot what it was so I imagine it will have a weakness Or a cooldown if not hes gonna be banned....(Maybe) I imagine him taking more damage during the limit breaks

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Jumping into conclusions already when it comes to competitive play? Figures...
No we're not. But anyone who plays this game seriously and understands what makes characters good can make a decent estimate as to how viable a character would be.

I remember when Rosalina's trailer first came out, everyone thought she'd OP.

Casuals still think that, some competitive players even still think that to the point of always whining for her to be nerfed, and most will agree that she is legit one of the best characters in the game (and in terms of raw potential she's still the most untapped, people just don't play her like they play Sheik because "MUH DEFENSE").

It's been the same for a lot of other characters, it was easy to predict how good they really were before they came out.

At the end of the day, Cloud still seems to be a hard hitting sword fighter with decent but honestly surprisingly lacking range on his attacks (he swings his sword in really awkward angles that sort of gimp his range). His dash speed is good and his aerial mobility seems good, but his attacks seem slow for the most part and very punishable. Doesn't seem like he'd want to be in the air much either. His Limit mechanic powers him up but he has to charge for it which both telegraphs his next move (people will only charge it if they intend to use it) and leaves him open for punishing, especially if it requires a dodge roll to cancel.

We don't know everything yet of course, but the whole point of these trailers is to give us a decent idea of how the characters play. And from that, it's easy to tell Cloud will be around mid-tier.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No we're not. But anyone who plays this game seriously and understands what makes characters good can make a decent estimate as to how viable a character would be.

I remember when Rosalina's trailer first came out, everyone thought she'd OP.

Casuals still think that, some competitive players even still think that to the point of always whining for her to be nerfed, and most will agree that she is legit one of the best characters in the game (and in terms of raw potential she's still the most untapped, people just don't play her like they play Sheik because "MUH DEFENSE").

It's been the same for a lot of other characters, it was easy to predict how good they really were before they came out.

At the end of the day, Cloud still seems to be a hard hitting sword fighter with decent but honestly surprisingly lacking range on his attacks (he swings his sword in really awkward angles that sort of gimp his range). His dash speed is good and his aerial mobility seems good, but his attacks seem slow for the most part and very punishable. Doesn't seem like he'd want to be in the air much either. His Limit mechanic powers him up but he has to charge for it which both telegraphs his next move (people will only charge it if they intend to use it) and leaves him open for punishing, especially if it requires a dodge roll to cancel.

We don't know everything yet of course, but the whole point of these trailers is to give us a decent idea of how the characters play. And from that, it's easy to tell Cloud will be around mid-tier.
Was it really necessary to bring up that boring ****? No offense.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm glad I watched a playthrough of FF7 during my summer break. If I didn't, I would've probably hated cloud.

With that said, have to be a little honest. Can't say I care for cloud as a character personally. With that said, I love RPGs, and he represents them beautifully. So I'm most certainly play him a lot. Maybe even as a secondary.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Was it really necessary to bring up that boring ****? No offense.
Was it necessary for you to make a comment on other people's opinions on how Cloud might do competitively if you really didn't care and think analyses are "boring ****" to begin with?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Cloud already has a Social, Skype group, and board?

Damn, slow down guys. :psycho:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Disagreements are fine but let's keep it civil, especially since this should be a joyous occasion.

On a separate but still FF7 related note, I now have a really strong urge to watch Advent Children. I'm also hoping against hope for a Zack alt.

Last edited:

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh my LORD! FF7 is one of my all time favorite games. I can't say that I've ever wanted or expected to see Cloud but that's because I thought that he was impossible. I"m very happy about these events!

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I might analysis the trailer my self and try to make a a opinion out of it.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I'm surprised his page ain't up yet on the site. We need goofy pictures Sakurai!

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
How are people gonna jump to conclusions competitively
That's easy. Just ramble on nonsense for content you have no access to, include some well-place .gifs, compare him to a pre-existing character, and BAM! Worst character analysis with little evidence outside of a teaser that makes every character God-tier.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Another thing.

Maybe. MAYBE. We can finally have FF games show up on nintendo consoles again with the NX? I would love to play the franchise. Especially the FF7 remake.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Another thing.

Maybe. MAYBE. We can finally have FF games show up on nintendo consoles again with the NX? I would love to play the franchise. Especially the FF7 remake.
I'd bet that we'd get the classic FF on VC first.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's easy. Just ramble on nonsense for content you have no access to, include some well-place .gifs, compare him to a pre-existing character, and BAM! Worst character analysis with little evidence outside of a teaser that makes every character God-tier.
The only GIF in any of my posts in this thread would be in my sig, featuring a fabulous man doing fabulous things.

Also I didn't compare Cloud to a single character in any of my posts.

----------

Anyway, might as well elaborate my stance on Cloud being in Smash at all:

I tried FFVII as a kid more than once but never really got into it. It was really boring IMO and I didn't find the characters that interesting. However, I got FF IX, and found it infinitely more endearing and got absorbed in that.

I have a decent history with FF, but I was more of a Kingdom Hearts guy in the long run, since as a kid, I easily had more attachment to Disney than Final Fantasy. However, I have plenty of exposure to Cloud. There's his various appearances in Kingdom Hearts. I watched Advent Children. And I played through Crisis Core on the PSP and adored that (because Zack is great). I also love the Dissidia games. So I've seen plenty of him. My brother is also really into FFVII, and I actually bought him the Trading Arts Kai Cloud figure in August for his birthday:

I would have preferred a more Nintendo related FF character for Smash, such as Black Mage (who is tried and true in SSF2 in terms of moveset, and has even appeared in Mario Sports games), and Cecil Harvey (I consider FFIV the "FFVII of the SNES era"). I even would have preferred Zidane and Lightning if we wanna go pure preferences here. But, I understand the significance of Cloud and FFVII, and he was of no shortage of moveset potential either, so I'm perfectly fine with him being here, even if I don't find him too interesting a character (he's got some cool one liners though). I likely won't main him but he looks fun and he'll definitely be fun in casual matches.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
The only GIF in any of my posts in this thread would be in my sig, featuring a fabulous man doing fabulous things.

Also I didn't compare Cloud to a single character in any of my posts.
...Wasn't even referring to you in anyway. I sarcastically responded to Wolfie's comment.

There's no need to get so defensive about this.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
As long as Cloud isn't another Mewtwo then it's fine imo. All other DLC characters we got are at least somewhat viable, with Ryu being potentially top 10 or even higher.

I just want Cloud to be good. He doesn't look like a floaty at all, his run doesn't look slow, and he's a swordsman with a projectile and some weird out-of-the-ordinary mechanic. All the ingredients for a fun character in my eyes.

Let's just hope he's the one good swordsman we've all been waiting for, not counting MK.

Last edited:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Yay for Cloud. I'll probably try picking him up for casual play.
His victory music is awesome. Can't wait for the stage and the music either. Really happy for an FF character in Smash.

BUT.. why has Square not celebrated FFIX's anniversary in any form? Ugh, they did this to other games in the series as well. SE sure is a greedy, money-grubbing company these days.. sigh.
They only care about FF 7 and 13, and SOMETIMES 8. Because they make them money, it makes sense. But still, Nintendo pays tribute to old franchises and games, why can't Square Enix? Really disappointed in them, as are a lot of people.

That said, still glad Cloud is in. And everything else. I'm no Cloud or 7 hater, in fact it was my second FF game and I like it a lot, but it's the only thing they seem to focus on now.. at least we got something from FF though.

At least celebrate your other games! They're amazing, you know!

If it's too big I'll put it in a spoiler tag, mods.

Sigh..

Top Bottom