• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

7 reasons Link>Marth/Roy

HiIH

Smash Lord
I love Fire Emblem, and was thinking about why Link is the best swordsman in Melee.
Here's just a few reasons. NOTE-Some of this includes FE humor.

1.Marth is essentially a pansy. Look, the guy has a headband, and by headband I don't mean bandana. Like something an 8 year old girl will put on to keep her hair behind her ears.

Did I mention that Marth also has SHORT HAIR?

2.Roy is horrible. Anyone who has played FE6 will tell you that Roy is essentially worthless until he gets the Sword of Seals. When does he get the sword of seals? Ohhh.... around the last chapter or so.

3.Roy and Marth both have LONG THIN swords. Everyone knows these are not the badassiest of swords. You know who else had a long sword? Zorro, the gay blade.

4.Lord's are consistently underpowered classes in Fire Emblem. While lately there have been exceptions (Hector, Ephraim, and Ike to name a few), Marth and Roy are not exceptions. What Class would Link be? Probably a hero, one of the most versatile and awesome classes in my opinion.

5.Roy and Marth took out ONE dragon. Over the years Link has killed at least a cool dozen or so.

6.Link needs no army behind his back in his games. He's like Chuck Norris in tights and a tunic.

7.When Link gets on his horse, he can get OFF again. He doesn't need those two extra squares of movement, or higher con. Refer back to number 6.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I love Fire Emblem, and was thinking about why Link is the best swordsman in Melee.
Here's just a few reasons. NOTE-Some of this includes FE humor.

1.Marth is essentially a pansy. Look, the guy has a headband, and by headband I don't mean bandana. Like something an 8 year old girl will put on to keep her hair behind her ears.

Did I mention that Marth also has SHORT HAIR?

2.Roy is horrible. Anyone who has played FE6 will tell you that Roy is essentially worthless until he gets the Sword of Seals. When does he get the sword of seals? Ohhh.... around the last chapter or so.

3.Roy and Marth both have LONG THIN swords. Everyone knows these are not the badassiest of swords. You know who else had a long sword? Zorro, the gay blade.

4.Lord's are consistently underpowered classes in Fire Emblem. While lately there have been exceptions (Hector, Ephraim, and Ike to name a few), Marth and Roy are not exceptions. What Class would Link be? Probably a hero, one of the most versatile and awesome classes in my opinion.

5.Roy and Marth took out ONE dragon. Over the years Link has killed at least a cool dozen or so.

6.Link needs no army behind his back in his games. He's like Chuck Norris in tights and a tunic.

7.When Link gets on his horse, he can get OFF again. He doesn't need those two extra squares of movement, or higher con. Refer back to number 6.
1. agreed.
2. He's usable because of Allen and Lance. Lower Mid tierish. I think Marth is worse though. He doesn't even promote.
3. Sure.
4. ****ing yes! Link as a hero! He's got a hammer and a sword indeed! And a boomerang which can count as a handaxe! =P
5. ^^
6. Yup
7. Let's not forget he can do the SUPER WAVEDASH!

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
This whole list is very true. Especially the Marth = pansy thing XD except that you forgot to mention how he also waves his hips when he taunts.

Hero C

Smash Rookie
1. Why is he a pansy? He wears a headband? So do the Ninja Turtles... And I think the correct word MIGHT be a tiara, which would be pretty girly... But he is just full of win, that even if he was in full drag, he would still be cool.

2. Roy is bad, and gets RNG screwed often, and just sucks compared to the other units, except later, but he still has a high counter rating, if I recall. Which is all too useful to just throw him in a corner, with some good archer support, and the enemies will drop like flies.

3. Zorro? Played by Antonio Banderas at one point. This helps Marth and Roy's case even more, because they have good taste in cologne.

4. Gameplay reasons, and they wanted you to think in a strategy game and use your entire army. The fact that I ran Ike ALONE on some missions later on in the game means the Fire Emblem series as a strategy game is going down hill. Advance Wars is just way more strategic.

5. You can argue that Link has not been the same Link time and time again, but even then, each one has had some great feats of "human" ability. And a Dragon is supposed to be the pinnacle of beasts in mythology, so doing something like that is also a large achievement. But against Link... Come on. What villian in the right mind would keep the item of the guardians demise in the same building?

6. Chuck Norris? No... Chuck Norris sucks. If you want a good comparison, Link is like James Bond. Never fails, plethora of gadgets, and has the ladies falling for him almost all the time(but he calmly refuses each time). Either that... Or he is gay. He is wearing tights right?

Just kidding... Link is a great character.

7. Come on... When your feet hurt SO much from walking... why even bother getting off your horse? I mean, I understand Link is an utter beast at destroying Bombchus and Jelly monsters on foot, but a nobleman needs to rest his buns sometimes. Why walk when you can ride?

Note that my defense of Marth and Roy IN NO WAY means I dislike Link... since he is my favorite Nintendo character. But this topic is one sided. So I needed to bring up some points, even though this topic is ment to be humorous to begin with.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Hero said:
1. Why is he a pansy? He wears a headband? So do the Ninja Turtles... And I think the correct word MIGHT be a tiara, which would be pretty girly... But he is just full of win, that even if he was in full drag, he would still be cool.
No. Not a ninja headband. A little girl head band. It's not a tiara either. Zoom in on him. It's a headband that goes on his head, and behind his ears.

Hero said:
2. Roy is bad, and gets RNG screwed often, and just sucks compared to the other units, except later, but he still has a high counter rating, if I recall. Which is all too useful to just throw him in a corner, with some good archer support, and the enemies will drop like flies.
Don't talk to me about Fire Emblem, you'll get owned. = ) Just a warning.

Roy is horrible, his stats suck, his stat caps suck, his speed is useless if his attack, defense, skill, resistance, AND HP suck. The only reason enemies will drop like flies is if you have a high level wolt or such for him to cower behind. Or he has the sword of seals. Anything else and Roy is just horrible. I mean come on, 24 HP at level 20/20? That's just horrible.

Hero said:
3. Zorro? Played by Antonio Banderas at one point. This helps Marth and Roy's case even more, because they have good taste in cologne.
Yeah but they're not Mexican, they're royalty in fact and fancy. That means they're automatically in the gay blade category, and not the ruggedly awesome category.

Hero said:
4. Gameplay reasons, and they wanted you to think in a strategy game and use your entire army. The fact that I ran Ike ALONE on some missions later on in the game means the Fire Emblem series as a strategy game is going down hill. Advance Wars is just way more strategic.
1.Ike is the man, as he can solo every mission if he wants to. Just because you CAN solo missions, doesn't mean you HAVE to. Ike stays the same if you level everyone up with him, and you just beat the game easier. (Plus you have to have an evenly leveled team in 10, but in nine not so much)

2. That's besides the point since Marth debuted in one and Roy debuted in 6. Fire Emblem hit a low in 8. They are still in the rut where they SUCK. I mentioned Ike, Ephraim, and Hector as exceptions. Alas, these two are not.

Hero said:
5. You can argue that Link has not been the same Link time and time again, but even then, each one has had some great feats of "human" ability. And a Dragon is supposed to be the pinnacle of beasts in mythology, so doing something like that is also a large achievement. But against Link... Come on. What villian in the right mind would keep the item of the guardians demise in the same building?
(shrug) I know in more than one Link defeats at least two dragons. Also, the villains don't build the temples and leave the weapons there. An ancient race or such builds the temples, and the evil infests it. Such as all of the sage temples, and why there's something incredibly important there in the first place.

Hero said:
6. Chuck Norris? No... Chuck Norris sucks. If you want a good comparison, Link is like James Bond. Never fails, plethora of gadgets, and has the ladies falling for him almost all the time(but he calmly refuses each time). Either that... Or he is gay. He is wearing tights right?
Clearly you don't know The Facts

Hero said:
7. Come on... When your feet hurt SO much from walking... why even bother getting off your horse? I mean, I understand Link is an utter beast at destroying Bombchus and Jelly monsters on foot, but a nobleman needs to rest his buns sometimes. Why walk when you can ride?
Because Link isn't a pampered Pansy.

AUTOPHAIL!

= )

Sumil

Smash Rookie
Actual reasons:

1- Link has projectiles, many of them. Counter doesn't stop bombs!
2- Link has a better Up+B.
3- Link is heavier and harder to K.O.
4- Link has a ranged grab.
5- Link has a tether recovery.
6- Link has the Hylian Shield.
7- Link has bombs. Bombs. BOMBS. BOOOOOMBS.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Link... Come on. What villian in the right mind would keep the item of the guardians demise in the same building?
That, my friend, is an extremely good point. Game designers need to stop doing that in video games. I'm sure Gimpyfish would agree that the axe behind bowser in each of his castles should be removed!

Kips

Smash Ace
We should cut off Mario's legs to let Bowser win a Mario game for once. That way no more jumping on Goomba's, no more popping Koopa's into their shells for tossing... And we could put flame-retardant foam all over his hands! That way Bowser is sure to win!

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
5/5 is an awful assessment of this thread. I think 12/5 works a lot better. By the way, you know how Link doesn't get laid because Nintendo feeds him this censorship crap? Well I found out he gets laid ALL THE TIME in Zelda II: The adventure of Link for the NES :chuckle:

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
That's why Link has an alternate purple costume. He's a pimp! Sheik, Zelda (That's right, Sheik is her evil twin brother), Impa, Saria, etc... Line 'em up.
Link never did Sheik. Link is 100% man, and 100% straight.

Aesir

Smash Master
Not really cause this isn't even that funny.

It's rather dumb..>_> the marth tiara thing was explained before, since ya know he's royal and thats what royalty wears.

HiIH

Smash Lord
That's not a tiara though, as it doesn't sit on his head. It's a headband that goes behind his ears, like an 8 year old girl. This was also explained earlier as a response.

I mean we can go in circles for a while.

Aesir

Smash Master
Um no lol.

The fact still remains it's a symbol of royalty, and not being a cross dresser. Furthermore Tiaras can and sometimes do go behind the ears.

Modern Tiaras are however mostly wore by females thats a given but their original purpose was used for the crowning of kings/royalty.

Sliq

Smash Master
Marth is actually wearing a tiara. His sister gave it to him before she died.

Fission mailed.

Umby

Smash Master
ti·ar·a (tē-ār'ə, -âr'ə, -är'ə)
n.

1. An ornamental, often jeweled, crownlike semicircle worn on the head by women on formal occasions.
2. The triple crown worn by the pope.

cross-dress /ˈkrɔsˈdrɛs, ˈkrɒs-/
–verb (used without object)
to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

HiIH

Smash Lord
The funniest thing was that nothing in Aesir's post proved that a tiara was ever part of a man's jewelry.

Top Bottom