• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6Mizu's Tip of the Week

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
6Mizu's Tip of the Week

This idea is originally t1mmy's so most of the credit goes to him,because that's where i got the idea.
Stop by every week or so for important R.O.B tips.The shortcuts to the page will be listed here for people who just want me get to the point.
Anyone and everyone should feel free to join in the discussions.
Only one rule:Try your best no to get off topic,plz.

Week #1: (below)

6Mizu's TotW:

I decided that for the first few weeks ill be discussing simple and basic things.This is for all of the novice R.O.B's out there,that need to catch up with others.This means that there shouldn't be too many people reading for the first few weeks,if have nothing to learn plz contribute.
Week #1:"Tilts"-get ready cause i'm a talkative person.
R.O.B's tilts- Unlike some characters R.O.B's tilts are his best close combat moves.His tilts are mid-range,speedy compared to others,and have enough knockback/hitstun that you can "bat" your opponent with a few.
His tilts are this way for three very good reasons.
1:Rack up quick damage in very short amounts of time,this important since R.O.B has a hard time K.O ing opponents at 0-80 percentile range without "gimping".This mean everyone should abuse this. >:3
2:Shutting down approaches,His tilts have alot of priority,for that matter enough to shut down a number of appraoches such as,almost all of the heavy-weight class and other characters like for example Marth or Kirby.
3:This last reason is most likely the most important for R.O.B's difficult,even,or close match-ups.Also if your down a stock.Spacing.
Tilts are one of R.O.B's best offensive and defensive options. Some characters have no projectiles so they are forced to appraoch R.O.B like Marth.Most of the time Marth win in close combat this is why R.O.B was given his tilts,to deal with these sort of things.In this case R.O.B should use his tilts as spacing tools so he use his projectils or in other words Camp.That should be enough for this reason i dont want to get too far into spacing and camping just yet.

Against some characters like Wario,Mk,or Faclo you may not have opening to use your tilts.This can be fixed!
Your tilts are great after dodge or out of sheild options.Most of the time it should be a habit to use your f-tilt after a dodge or out of sheild.
SUMMARY: R.O.B's tilts are a must!
If anyone has question about this topic plz feel free to leave me a shoutout or send me a PM.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, I did, but it's no problem. Copy pasting my response from AiB.

On the topic of Tilts, you might as well throw in a few of the more common tilt strings as well.

Jab > DTilt > FTilt/Smash
Jab > DTilt (Trip) > Grab/FSmash
*Jab > DTilt > FSmash > FTilt

*Only works at 0% and not on all characters.

Might also be good to include some strings with a gyro behind the opponent, but you might want to add these in at a later section, not really sure. Up to you.

Gyro Directly/Close Behind Opponent:
Jab > DTilt > Gyro Hit > FSmash - This one's neat because it actually works at most percents and if the Gyro is charged a bit, you can repeat the "Jab > DTilt > Gyro" bit a few times. Sadly, with proper SDI, the opponent can get to the ground and shield, but that's not hard to notice and you just transition into shield pressuring with tilts.

Gyro a BattleField Platform length behind opponent:
FTilt > Gyro Hit > Dash In > String from above. - Only works from 0-50%ish.

Yeah, I know this is all pretty basic stuff, but if you're going to be doing the tip a week thing, might as well make it as in depth as possible. ;] Oh, and I didn't cover common strings on shield because ROB doesn't have any frame locks so ROB's shield pressure game relies entirely on mix-ups.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I 2nd Sudai's post. Also, SH Double Fair > DI **** > Ftilt angled.

Ftilt OoS is VERY nice. Our tilts r all amazing, Dtilt set ups to a lot of combos that rack up some really good %, especally when it trips. However, i can just see Jab1 following up to it. Utilt has some different hiboxes that are nice, the side one(weak), set ups for grabs. U can do 2 or 3 on fast faller characters and the stronger hitbox, set ups for aerials and probably footstool. IMO Dash Attack with the up knockback is the best way to follow up a Utilt, that an also predict Air Dodges. Just Utilt, than push shield and wait for ur opponent to Air Doge, then grab him. If he attacks, Ftilt OoS wins.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Im very sorry everyone but its been very hard to keep up with this while school is going.
also i hav no comp. at home.....so im gonna get down to the point what should i do as tip for tip of the week or tip of the month in this case....
what im asking is what should we discuss next, since there is many novice ROB players.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Im very sorry everyone but its been very hard to keep up with this while school is going.
also i hav no comp. at home.....so im gonna get down to the point what should i do as tip for tip of the week or tip of the month in this case....
what im asking is what should we discuss next, since there is many novice ROB players.
If it'll be Tip of the Month, those tips need to be very useful. What about an in-depth stuff for gimps? :)

jjvirus

Smash Champion
That's kind of the point if we're not going to get weekly information if you can't update it when we'd like you too. If not, then just don't have this thread or give it to someone else. I really didn't see a point for this thread to begin with, but if the rest of the boards sees a use for it that I don't then go for it (that is if you can keep it updated).

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If you want to do a tip of the week/month, I could suggest adding it to a new section in the ROB Community Guide?

TheMike

Smash Lord
If you want to do a tip of the week/month, I could suggest adding it to a new section in the ROB Community Guide?
This would be great so as to keep the Guide updated =] I'll probably do some tips tomorrow. And don't worry, my English will be good lol

6Mizu

Smash Champion
First of all Mike hope ur doing ok with that swine...
second thanks for being on my side about this thread and not wanting to shut it down like jjvirus said to do. :)
GwJumpman good idea about well....u no

and jjvirus..I'll prove to that this post is useful,with help from TheMike. :D
if he's willing to help.

TheMike

Smash Lord
EDGEGUARDING

Against some characters, edgeguarding is essential. Gimps are also part of the Edgeguard game and it's where ROB may win the match. He can gimp the characters below:

- Bowser
- Captain Falcon
- Donkey Kong
- Ganondorf
- Ike
- Link
- Mario
- Marth
- Olimar
- Ivysaur
- Wolf

There're some other characters that suffer with this, such as Diddy, Falco, Lucario, Lucas and some others. But ROB needs more edgeguard on them after Fair > Fair > Fair > .... I'll list what ROB can do:

- Diddy: Bair his Side B and don't let him to use a charged Up B hitting him with Fairs.

- Falco: We don't really need to do much on his Up B, just continue using Fairs until he can't get back to the stage. And the same as Diddy's Side B and his'.

- Lucario: He need to use his Up B to stick under the stage and that's the time that you'll try a Stage Spike.

- Lucas: When he tries to Up B, throw a Gyro or shoot a laser.

There're some that it's impossible to go off-stage, and those are most of ROB's worst Match-ups because going off-stage in too essential for him. Don't go off-stage against(they're better than you there):

- G&W
- Jiggly
- DDD
- Kirby
- MK

That's what i posted on the Guide. And for advanced things, i think that they're all on the Guide, too. These ones is just to help new players or at least give them a basic idea of what we're talking about.

Top Bottom