• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6 tips to ganondorf

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ok, here are 6 things to learn how to use after you learn wavedashing and l'cancelling and all that stuff

1. learn to use your fair and uair, these are the easiest aerials to use and to begin with are your best friends, learn to use them in the right positions, so basically use uair when your opponent is above you and use fair when he's in front or below you

2. learn to use his standing A, after every l'cancel that your move was sheilded you must use this move, it stops sheild grabs almost every time, it's a very important move, a must for every ganon wannabe

3. learn his dthrow and uthrow, his best throws by far, then will combo into anything he wants pretty much, but really, your best combo from a dthrow is his bair or uair and from the uthrow it's either his uair or standing a depending on who you're versing, learn them very well

4. learn his reverse uair spike, the best edgegaurd in the game, nothing compares, it works on any character and is almost unstoppable, it's also the only move that can kill samus under 100% (yes it's an edgegaurd but you know what i mean), it's a surprise attack and it's amazing, must learn thing

5. learn his sheild cancel game, why do i say this, cause against fox, falco, sheik, and falcon, it's the only way you're gonna be able to get much in, sheild cancelled dairs are amazing, and sheild grabbing is probably gonna save your butt from time to time, learn this, very important thing

6. learn how to use his ftilt, it's a very important part of his ground game and it is a pretty decent edgegaurder, learn to aim it in all ways (high, medium, low), it replaces ganon's up tilt if aimed high and it servers as a decent edgegaurder if aimed low, great move to learn how to use

well, there you have it, and try those in the order i put them in because it's better to start smaller, to really use his sheild cancel game is gonna take a while but it's worth the practice, well good gaming

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I'll show these to a Ganon-maining friend of mine who used to be one of those "I'm the best player ever" noobs until I showed him the light ^_^

Reverse uair is the best edgeguard in the game? Really O_o? That, I didn't know. It is pretty effective, now that I think about it. Awesome, I'll be sure to mention that. That'll be some inspiration for him to learn to do it :p

Awesome mini-guide. I'd +rep you, but the mods ate the rep system :(

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
im not sure ganon's reverse uair wins the best edgeguard in the game title.

in fact, im sure it doesnt. fox's shine is better. fixed knockback for those gimpy kills you were talking about. zero lag. or you could go with jiggly's bair. among other candidates.

ganon's uair is definitely extremely versatile and good for edgeguarding lots of characters, but... ive seen foxes shinespike jigglypuffs to death...

Magus420

Smash Master
2. No you don't have to always use jab after every air that hits a shield. In fact you shouldn't really. The jab itself is shieldgrabbable if they get close enough/have enough grab range, and is CC out of shield->grabbable if they're not in range. Dashing away, forward-b'ing, or an occasional down-b when they are at high damage after l-cancels on shields are good mixups to jabbing.

3. U-throw isn't very good imo. You have to hope they don't DI it, since if they DI away you can't follow up with anything at all really. You can always get something off of a d-throw regardless of what they do. I'd say b-throw is considerably more useful than u-throw since you can set up invincible grabs to gimp KOs off of it on most characters at the edge at any damage.
ive seen foxes shinespike jigglypuffs to death...
You've also seen some slow learners that don't realize pound can go in the other direction as well as towards another shinespike :psycho:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon's reverse uair is much more reliable than fox's shine, and it's much easier to hit, at least reverse uair works on a jiggs better than a shine spike, it also has a lot more range than fox's shine, and it more powerful, and it sends on the same trajectory as fox's shine does if it spikes, same speed too...so, which one is really better

thanks magus, i've always used his standing a, never thought of his forward b, but i just think his standing a is better, also it's more for the inexperienced ganon users

and uthrow can always be followed up with a standing a or a uair, even with DI i've found, but i'll add them

Kragen

Smash Ace
I think you should also add: aiming the ftilt. Since Ganon's utilt is crap, he needs replacement on the ground for that move.

It has pretty good range too, I think. Very handy when somebody is standing in front of you on a platform, when you're on the ground (like FoD or PS, although I heard that FoD is a bad stage for Ganon).

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it's not that important, it's useful but not really necessary, it's one of the last things new ganon users should learn

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
You've also seen some slow learners that don't realize pound can go in the other direction as well as towards another shinespike :psycho:
ive been shinespikes to death before as jiggly... i was rising pounding on a wall... hit a jump too early, got spiked, used my last 2 jumps, and got spiked before i could airdodge :(
you're right though, its mostly the jiggs fault if that ever happens.

it's not that important, it's useful but not really necessary, it's one of the last things new ganon users should learn
ftilt is pretty good. makes opponents think twice. i mean, ganon's ground game without ftilt is total crap

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i've really never used ftilt with ganon, i don't find it very important, and i've watched tipman, he doesn't really use it either

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Actually, last I saw of Tipman he was using waveland>f-tilt quite a bit for spacing purposes.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
3. U-throw isn't very good imo. You have to hope they don't DI it, since if they DI away you can't follow up with anything at all really. You can always get something off of a d-throw regardless of what they do. I'd say b-throw is considerably more useful than u-throw since you can set up invincible grabs to gimp KOs off of it on most characters at the edge at any damage.
don't hate on the uthrow Magus.

It requires the opposite DI as the D throw, so it's not uncommon for some one to have terrible DI after an Uthrow.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
true, but is it as important as the other five, fine i'll make it 6 tips and have the sixth one as using the ftilt

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Shield cancel? WTF? Do you mean L-cancel or something? Because this is the first I or any of my friends have heard of it... and my friends have been around since early Melee at the least.
He means a SHFFL'ed D-Air out of the shield. "Shield-cancelling" is a terrible name for it.

Magus420

Smash Master
I would say full jump d-air out of shield is far more useful than SHFFL'ing one. I can't really think of a good time to do a SHFFL'd one out of shield like that at all really, since if they're too short for a full jump one you're probably better off doing something else entirely.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well I see Joe Bushman doing D-Air out of shield quite often against Falcos and I assumed that's what he was talking about. I always assumed those to be shorthops, but now that you mention it I guess they are actually full jumps.

Doesn't make much difference to me because I just reflexively full jump out of shield when I play Ganon.

Kenjii

Smash Cadet
Hmm, pretty good tips. I already use most of these, but reading them and knowing that they're good things to do help me out.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I like comboing out of the downtilt so shouldn't you prolly just change the last tip to: Use Tilts effectively...

Top Bottom