• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6 questions! Yoshi vs Fox

Dinolover

Smash Rookie
Hi there!
I've played alot of ssbm with my friend since the game was released but we just discovered the advanced trick like.... 2 months ago.

Since that time, my friend always beat me.... before that i was mostly winning but now...

So I'm searching for few tips.... or I just have some random questions like that which I'll regroup in this thread!
He plays Fox, I play Yoshi
All he does actually is waiting till i attack (or else he shoots me with his gun) and then grab shield and then his up smash. Mostly... or else, when he's in the air, he does his upB on me...

Q1: Do you have any good tricks against people who constantly grabshield?
Q2: Is WD really usefull? If yeah give me some exemples plz
Q3: Anything against Fox's upB?
Q4: Do you play with the C-stick? I think i don't use it enough maybe.... actually i never use it...
Q5: Any way to practice Lcanceling with yoshi and see if it works or no? (with fox you can Daerial then do reflector shield) but with yoshi... anytrick?
Q6 : Modify controler or not?

Thats all I think
thx for answering

.Marik

is a social misfit
It's has nothing to do with tiers, but Fox is generally a hard opponent to face with Yoshi, it's not that he's better or anything, but his moveset is difficult to counter with Yoshi, unless you have tactical strategies with Yoshi, such as fast-falling, then repeatedly using aerial attacks, while fast-falling, making it hard for Fox to break out of the combos.

Now for the questions.....

A1: Use the technique mentioned above... and fast-falling and L-Canceling are basically the same thing.. but you should use them to juggle your opponent, and so that you keep comboing them, and they won't be able to find an opening in your attacks, to attack you back with.

A2: Definetly. The best person for wave-dashing is Luigi. Well, it's very quick, making it harder for enemies to attack you, and your always on yourt feet, doing attacks, making it so that the opponent is going to need to use quick attacks, and they need to be prepared. It's very easy to combo somebody while wavedashing. You can also use it to evade opponents.

A3: Well.. with Yoshi, above technique. With other characters, you may want to use characters like Sheik, and Pikachu. Characters that are generally quick, and can capture and attack Fox for the split second that he's vulnerable from recovering. Or you can reflect it with Mario's cape, or Dr.Mario's cape, which is stronger, and more effective, but a bit slower.

A4: No, I don't. It really has no use for me, due to me playing just fine the manual way, and you can also charge up attacks with the manual method. You cannot charge uo with the C-Stick alone, but if you used the main Control Stick and the A/B buttons, you can charge up. For quick attacks, I guess the C-Stick is the right thing, and it's quicker, and more easier, for newbies and amatuers.

A5: Well, L-Canceling with Yoshi is quite average. He has a high jump, so you need to fast-fall, then use an aerial attack, and then L-Cancel really fast. Same as above technique described, I guess.

A6: Naw, you should be fine....

But I bet you already knew all of this....

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
Hello. Hows everything?

Q1. Stay away from him, and wait for an opportunity to fight back, thats pretty much all the advice i can give you on that, sorry :/

Q2.Yes, the wavedash is very useful. It can get people into combos, it can also help you from that shield grab by putting some distance between you and your opponent.

Q3.Well Yoshi's Nair might help, and also his bair and dair. (Idk if fair is good cause i don't remember what it is for yoshi)

Q4. Yes I do, makes it easier to L-cancel and for quick reactions.

Q5. For that question I would go on Yoshi's board for Character specific, I really don't play Yoshi so i wouldn't really know too much. However for practicing L-Canceling all together, all you have to do is practice, practice, practice. Go on Vs mode with fight against a lvl 1 computer and practice. Thats all you can do to get better.

Q6. Nope, Modded controllers are not good at all. They are banned from most tournaments and they will def get you disqualified. I know your not talking about a tournament but still. One day IF you want to go to a tourny, perhaps, you can't get in with that modded controller. In my opinion, they are not worth the trouble.

Hope I helped :bee:

Zodiac

Smash Master
Q1: Yes, , dont do aerial attacks into someone you know is going to sheild, space your attacks, usually standard a ground attacks are good for spacing. it sounds like you havent really explored using your eggs fully yet

Q2: Why would you even ask this question? its a move that allows you to increase your mobility and ultimately attack faster and more effectively.

Q3: Get out of the way, you can airdodge to fastfall, you can also di away from it. seriously its not that hard to avoid once you put your mind to it.

Q4: Yes, there are numerous advantages to using the c-stick for aerials, such as di'ing backwards and doing a fair.

Q5: Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IebG0RZ_PeY&feature=related Wavedashing used plenty here
and this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSznDvciTog

Q6 : NO

Do you double jump cancel?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Saw this topic and couldn't help but reply. I'll try to be of some assistance.

1] For people who shieldgrab, you're going to want to space your attacks properly. Unfortunately, Yoshi's only aerial that can do this is his forward air, so you'll have to be real careful. On the ground, Yoshi doesn't really have many safe spacing attacks, but keep in mind that you can use his Egg Lay (neutral+B) both on the ground and in the air and it counts as a grab.

2] Wavedashing is pretty staple for most mid-to-high level play. The most common use for wavedashing is spacing yourself on the ground out of a dash when simply walking would take too much time. This can mean anything from moving out of the way of an attack to getting in position to perform an edgeguard or whatever else you can think of. The technique really opens lots of doors to move around however you want to.

3] Yoshi has many tools against Fox's Up+B. First and foremost, if you can manage, don't let Fox back on the stage period. That means grabbing the ledge. If you have to attack it to stop him, though, you can use a reverse neutral air (turn around and hit him with Yoshi's tail, not the boot), a forward smash, a downsmash, a forward air to spike, or a down tilt. Forward tilt is good, too, but it ties most of the time, which I don't particularly like. If Fox Up+Bs and you can't seem to think of a solution in time, toss an egg at it. It will stun the flight of his Up+B long enough for you to come up with something to hit him with.

4] C-Stick is good for downsmashing and wavedash back to forward smash. It depends n your playstyle. There's no law regarding C-Stick usage.

5] With Yoshi, just go into training mode. Perform an aerial on its own and you'll notice significant lag if you don't l-cancel. If you want to test l-cancel timing against the stun of hitting another player, just perform aerials on the training mode test dummy and see how different the timing is. The only attack that will be hard to notice lag on is the neutral air.

6] The only legal modifications you can do to your controller are cosmetic (paint job) or maintenance related (tighter springs, more rumble, etc.). If you plan on entering tournaments, then this is the limit of your modification capabilities. If not, mod your controller however you like.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
1. If you are getting shield grabbed a lot, space better. You can also land behind his shield. Also, learn to lcancel.

2. WDing/WLing is useful. WD to edgehog, WD to attack. WL to make your platform game better. It's a spacing tool, learn it, use it, love it.

3. Just sexkick fox out of it. It's not that high priority and worst case you trade hits. If you have good timing you can fair him too.

4. Yes. It's very important to use the cstick for aerials. It gives you more control, you won't accidentally fastfall a dair if you use the c-stick.

5. You can tell if you are lcanceling correctly by trying to jab afterwards. If you did it right your jab will come out faster than if you did not lcancel.

6. Don't modify your controller almost all tournaments (stupidly) ban controller mods.

Top Bottom