• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

51 characters total, reasoning inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I am entitled as the consumer.
You're entitled to not buy a game sure, but to do so because it doesn't have all your favourite characters is a little short sighted. Surely you enjoy the game as a whole, not just the roster? What characters do make your cut, out of interest?

the crap Sakurai's pulling
This is an awful way to see things. I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans, even the guys on these boards, are happy with the newcomers we've seen so far; I know I am. What exactly is wrong with any of them?

D

Deleted member

Let's say your 47 character roster is true, people who played Brawl won't feel like there is much added, I won't feel much has been added, the only character I'm really hyped for is Greninja and one character doesn't justify me buying a 40$(which btw, is 80$ when transformed into dollars where I live) when 3/4 characters I wanted aren't making in, what decides if I buy the game or not is Ridley, or a troll Wonder-Red move from Sakurai, but that won't happen

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think the newcomer roster is very well chosen if it's aimed at veteran players.

I think the choices of newcomers seem to be mostly characters that have potential to bring in new fans. That's why there are so many new series. That's why there are Miis. Rosalina and Palutena add more females (so does WFT), and are new characters (yes, technically Palutena existed before, but she was a blank slate before Uprising) that can bring in fans of SMG and Uprising. Mega Man and Pac-Man, like all 3rd parties, can bring in people who aren't necessarily core Nintendo supporters.

The only character I see as solidly aimed at the Smash hardcore is Little Mac. Most of my friends (even some who are Nintendo fans) said "Who?" when I mentioned his inclusion. Obviously the other characters have at least some appeal to both crowds. Mega Man works especially well for that. The remaining Gematsu characters don't seem to add more Smash fan favorites, except maybe Shulk, who obviously is not from a series that appeals to casuals.

So I think it is valid to look at the newcomers (including Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men) so far and say that they're kinda taking the longtime Nintendo diehards for granted - even though the Nintendo diehards are who are giving the Wii U all its sales at the moment.

And even though getting the diehards more excited isn't likely to get them to buy more games for themselves (obviously they're going to buy it anyway), getting them more excited will get them to evangelize more. So there is at least some benefit from that.

(As an aside, I think Chrom is the worst choice from a marketing perspective. I don't see who he's bringing in who's not already buying the game - the group of people who bought Awakening but no previous FE games, don't care about Marth or Ike, and would thus only buy the game if Chrom is in? How many people is that?)
That's why I keep thinking this Gematsu leak likely has something to do with Marketing. They're trying to bring in new people to buy the game so they're expanding vastly with new franchise reps. That doesn't mean they'll abandon the fans all-together, just means they're focusing on it a lot less.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
So I think it is valid to look at the newcomers (including Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men) so far and say that they're kinda taking the longtime Nintendo diehards for granted.
What about Little Mac? He's a long-time fan favourite, Palutena has been a big name on these forums as well. Rosalina, less so, but she still has a lot of fans around here.

Mega Man isn't Nintendo, but he's been requested by Smash fans for years. The game is co-created by Namco, so Pac-Man is more than justified (and definitely fits the criteria of catering to old die-hard gamers).

Honestly, Miis are the only character so far that caters mostly to the new casuals.

What exactly about all of this is making you feel taken for granted?

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I don't think the newcomer roster is very well chosen if it's aimed at veteran players.

I think the choices of newcomers seem to be mostly characters that have potential to bring in new fans. That's why there are so many new series. That's why there are Miis. Rosalina and Palutena add more females (so does WFT), and are new characters (yes, technically Palutena existed before, but she was a blank slate before Uprising) that can bring in fans of SMG and Uprising. Mega Man and Pac-Man, like all 3rd parties, can bring in people who aren't necessarily core Nintendo supporters.

The only character I see as solidly aimed at the Smash hardcore is Little Mac. Most of my friends (even some who are Nintendo fans) said "Who?" when I mentioned his inclusion. Obviously the other characters have at least some appeal to both crowds. Mega Man works especially well for that. The remaining Gematsu characters don't seem to add more Smash fan favorites, except maybe Shulk, who obviously is not from a series that appeals to casuals.

So I think it is valid to look at the newcomers (including Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men) so far and say that they're kinda taking the longtime Nintendo diehards for granted - even though the Nintendo diehards are who are giving the Wii U all its sales at the moment.

And even though getting the diehards more excited isn't likely to get them to buy more games for themselves (obviously they're going to buy it anyway), getting them more excited will get them to evangelize more. So there is at least some benefit from that.

(As an aside, I think Chrom is the worst choice from a marketing perspective. I don't see who he's bringing in who's not already buying the game - the group of people who bought Awakening but no previous FE games, don't care about Marth or Ike, and would thus only buy the game if Chrom is in? How many people is that?)
Newbies to Smash overall will be thrilled with the cast presented to them. Yes, some fan favorites are being set off to the side, but Nintendo's entire strategy seems to be getting folk that haven't played the series yet to play the series. This is evident in practically all of their games assuming that the player has never played a game in the lineup before(as well as the source of the infamous "here's how a Poke Ball works!" or "this is five rupees!"). You are right in that they appear to take returning players for granted, but can you blame them? As far as Smash goes, really, they're the only game in town with the characters, lineup, and features to make this possible. Sony tried and it bombed, and few others step up to the plate with anything with near the marketability of Smash(one could argue for Jump Superstars but did that ever actually see a release over here?).

At this point it's all about opinions and preference to characters. Many want Ridley, I want Krystal, others want K.Rool, but Sakurai will build how Sakurai builds. Usually this makes a character many thought unpalatable(R.O.B.) really worth something. Players new to Smash won't care about that though, they'll be too busy playing with the characters that are present as well as experimenting with the modes that will be available without real regard to what might have been. A lot of folk thought Melee and Brawl's rosters were awful, but newbies to the series didn't care(and the vets got over it). I don't see any deviation from the pattern here.

As far as Chrom goes, I can only shrug my shoulders. I don't play FE, so Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy, whoever, I don't have any real attachment to them. Ditto Shulk, but my distaste for him stems from my belief that the roster's getting a bit cluttered with anime sword-users...

That's why I keep thinking this Gematsu leak likely has something to do with Marketing. They're trying to bring in new people to buy the game so they're expanding vastly with new franchise reps. That doesn't mean they'll abandon the fans all-together, just means they're focusing on it a lot less.
You might be interested in this. I read in the Falco thread(I think, maybe it was the Mewtwo) that a rumor has surfaced regarding a reveal of him this Friday pointing at Mewtwo's existence in the game somehow. This person mentioned he had info from someone in Nintendo's marketing department. Could be a connection, could be bunk.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Newbies to Smash overall will be thrilled with the cast presented to them. Yes, some fan favorites are being set off to the side, but Nintendo's entire strategy seems to be getting folk that haven't played the series yet to play the series. This is evident in practically all of their games assuming that the player has never played a game in the lineup before(as well as the source of the infamous "here's how a Poke Ball works!" or "this is five rupees!"). You are right in that they appear to take returning players for granted, but can you blame them? As far as Smash goes, really, they're the only game in town with the characters, lineup, and features to make this possible. Sony tried and it bombed, and few others step up to the plate with anything with near the marketability of Smash(one could argue for Jump Superstars but did that ever actually see a release over here?).

At this point it's all about opinions and preference to characters. Many want Ridley, I want Krystal, others want K.Rool, but Sakurai will build how Sakurai builds. Usually this makes a character many thought unpalatable(R.O.B.) really worth something. Players new to Smash won't care about that though, they'll be too busy playing with the characters that are present as well as experimenting with the modes that will be available without real regard to what might have been. A lot of folk thought Melee and Brawl's rosters were awful, but newbies to the series didn't care(and the vets got over it). I don't see any deviation from the pattern here.

As far as Chrom goes, I can only shrug my shoulders. I don't play FE, so Marth, Ike, Chrom, Roy, whoever, I don't have any real attachment to them. Ditto Shulk, but my distaste for him stems from my belief that the roster's getting a bit cluttered with anime sword-users...

You might be interested in this. I read in the Falco thread(I think, maybe it was the Mewtwo) that a rumor has surfaced regarding a reveal of him this Friday pointing at Mewtwo's existence in the game somehow. This person mentioned he had info from someone in Nintendo's marketing department. Could be a connection, could be bunk.
I'm well aware of the Falco leak. Not likely to happen. It wasn't for him to appear this Friday, just this week, and it also means that the latest he could be announced is Friday otherwise the leak is debunked.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
You're entitled to not buy a game sure, but to do so because it doesn't have all your favourite characters is a little short sighted. Surely you enjoy the game as a whole, not just the roster? What characters do make your cut, out of interest?
Most of my interest in Smash is in the roster. It seems short-sighted to you, maybe, that I'd hinge a lot of my interest in the game on the playable cast, but to me, those are characters that I'm going to be playing for hours, days, weeks, months. I'd at least enjoy having more than a few characters that I actually like.

Anyway, as I said to another poster, my standards aren't even particularly high. All I want is Sakurai to confirm some of my mains. The fact that I get to sit here and wonder if Ness or Lucas is coming back seems a bit unfair to me when we've had confirmations on considerably less important characters, but I digress.

This is an awful way to see things. I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans, even the guys on these boards, are happy with the newcomers we've seen so far; I know I am. What exactly is wrong with any of them?
Maybe I used the wrong word. It's not crap that Sakurai's pulling, it's just Sakurai's eccentricities that are starting to grate on me. I'm happy with the newcomers we've seen so far, because Sakurai's done a good job of proving me they deserve their places on the roster, but I personally didn't ask for them so I have a hard time getting excited for them. Coupled with the fact that the Gematsu Leak is looking more and more like the future every day, and all I have to look forward to is character DLC in the hopes that I'll get some love.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I'm well aware of the Falco leak. Not likely to happen. It wasn't for him to appear this Friday, just this week, and it also means that the latest he could be announced is Friday otherwise the leak is debunked.
Ah, well, guess we'll see if it bears fruit by Saturday then. Could make or break quite a few theories.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
What about Little Mac? He's a long-time fan favourite, Palutena has been a big name on these forums as well. Rosalina, less so, but she still has a lot of fans around here.

Mega Man isn't Nintendo, but he's been requested by Smash fans for years. The game is co-created by Namco, so Pac-Man is more than justified (and definitely fits the criteria of catering to old die-hard gamers).

Honestly, Miis are the only character so far that caters mostly to the new casuals.
What about Little Mac and Mega Man? You read my post, right?
What exactly about all of this is making you feel taken for granted?
I didn't say that I feel that way too strongly. I'm saying that I can see why someone would feel that way.
Newbies to Smash overall will be thrilled with the cast presented to them.
If they weren't convinced to buy the game with Brawl's cast, what makes you think that the returning characters from Brawl will thrill them into buying it this time?

Aside from gamers who were too young last time around, I don't really see how this theory that newcomers are for veteran Smash fans because newbies don't care/will be thrilled anyway is supposed to work.
This is evident in practically all of their games assuming that the player has never played a game in the lineup before(as well as the source of the infamous "here's how a Poke Ball works!" or "this is five rupees!").
I don't think the existence of tutorials is in itself evidence that a game is not aimed at long-time fans of a series.

Pokemon makes tons of money from cartoons and toys aimed at young children. It's very clearly a franchise for children. Even if they go to great lengths to appeal to long-time fans, make the gameplay deeper, whatever, Pokemon has to remain accessible to young children which means it has to have tutorials.

A Link Between Worlds still told you how things worked, even as it was obviously playing off of nostalgia for A Link to the Past... from 1991. They definitely put in a lot for long-time fans.

Nintendo wants to keep its games accessible, so they err too far in making tutorials mandatory (which is really the problem with them). So long-time fans have to put up with that even in series like Zelda that have more hardcore than casual appeal.
You are right in that they appear to take returning players for granted, but can you blame them?
From a business perspective, they're probably doing the right thing.

Doesn't mean any hardcore fan has to be pleased with it.

Although like I said before, I think Chrom is the worst choice. Honestly, I can't see how he moves more units than K Rool or Mewtwo would.
newbies to the series didn't care(and the vets got over it). I don't see any deviation from the pattern here.
We're talking about bringing in new players. Obviously newbies to the series who bought the game were convinced by what they saw. But you can't say that they didn't care - how many of them bought Melee because Bowser was added? How many of them bought Brawl because of Sonic or Diddy Kong? Why are you assuming that they weren't convinced partially because of the newcomers that were added?

But we're also wondering about who wasn't convinced to buy Melee or Brawl who might've become a Smash newbie if one of their favorite characters was included.

We can't really know how many people that was, but those are some of the people who might be convinced to buy the game by adding more new series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, one thing I should point out for those saying the roster is 47+random, the 3DS screen would always be the same size, consdering the roster is 60(hypotetical number, I don't believe in this), it would still not fit in one screen without scrolling or separate pages, in the demo, the literally used almost the entire 3DS screen

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
After really thinking about it. I'm convinced this is our roster. 51 fits better than any other size.

Only Mewtwo and Waddle Dee are questionable in the main roster for me. If they're not in the game when it releases. Then replace them with the new DK and Star Fax rep in the DLC (bottom right).

IronFish

Smash Ace
After really thinking about it. I'm convinced this is our roster. 51 fits better than any other size.

Only Mewtwo and Waddle Dee are questionable in the main roster for me. If they're not in the game when it releases. Then replace them with the new DK and Star Fax rep in the DLC (bottom right).
That is actually a pretty reasonable roster, but I think replacing Mewtwo with a new DK rep or Star Fox rep is a good idea.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Formatting hopefully works! Response to @ Erimir Erimir in the collapsed bits.

If they weren't convinced to buy the game with Brawl's cast, what makes you think that the returning characters from Brawl will thrill them into buying it this time?

Aside from gamers who were too young last time around, I don't really see how this theory that veterans are new Smash fans and newcomers are for veteran Smash fans is supposed to work.
I think that's Nintendo's long-term 'audience', though. They fully expect their fans to 'outgrow' them and focus efforts on newcomers to the games rather than people who have been playing for a while. They were more than happy to be the 'second system' in households during the PS3/360 era. They're targeting people that haven't yet gotten into the games because they feel, rightly or wrongly, that they can do more with a new audience rather than preserving their old one. The Wii in general was a departure from the hardcore crowd as a whole, and look at the sheer amount of success it had. The Wii U is trying to pull the mainstream back in, but it's got a mountain to climb because Nintendo's strategy of 'target newcomers with renewed IPs' doesn't resonate with the mainstream strategy of 'make games in franchises early and often'. This is Nintendo, whose quickness to change is rivaled only by a glacier. That lack of adaptability can be compensated for somewhat when your audience keeps being renewed and those who would be able to notice are no longer present to do so.

I don't think the existence of tutorials is in itself evidence that a game is not aimed at long-time fans of a series.
True, but there is a difference between a tutorial and blatant hand-holding(as well as constant reminders of things you should really be able to deduce with a little bit of thought, like the rupee thing being repeated relentlessly whenever you pick up a different color one).

Pokemon makes tons of money from cartoons and toys aimed at young children. It's very clearly a franchise for children. Even if they go to great lengths to appeal to long-time fans, make the gameplay deeper, whatever, Pokemon has to remain accessible to young children which means it has to have tutorials.
No debate here.

A Link Between Worlds still told you how things worked, even as it was obviously playing off of nostalgia for A Link to the Past... from 1991. They definitely put in a lot for long-time fans.
Haven't played it, so I can't comment. I base my reasoning off of Skyward Sword.

Nintendo wants to keep its games accessible, so they err too far in making tutorials mandatory (which is really the problem with them). So long-time fans have to put up with that even in series like Zelda that have more hardcore than casual appeal.
From a business perspective, they're probably doing the right thing.

Doesn't mean any hardcore fan has to be pleased with it.
Both points are true. Nintendo is... Awkward when it comes to a long-term fanbase. It knows that Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc are extremely popular and beloved series. It's just they're so reluctant to try stepping outside of the box on them that makes the experience a bit.. Same-y. Smash is probably one of the most radical departures from the norm that Nintendo has, so Sakurai and his crew are afforded a fair amount of leeway for it, yet even he seems to see the appeal of the newcomer more than the veteran. They seem to use veteran status more as a means of showcasing the longevity of Smash and its characters rather than as a draw to returning players.

Although like I said before, I think Chrom is the worst choice. Honestly, I can't see how he moves more units than K Rool or Mewtwo would.
Well, look toward the new crowd. Mewtwo is debatable, given his presence in X/Y, but was he really that hype for anyone besides Genwunners? People who got in on X/Y or got in at a period other than G1 probably didn't think all that much of him, especially given the buzz of Fairy-type and the new format the battles and gameplay are in. It does help explain why he was given Mega Evolution, because otherwise the new crew might just overshadow him into obsolescence. K. Rool, well, when was he last even visible? Chrom was at least in a very recent and extremely successful game on Nintendo's dominant platform. So fans of FE, of which there are many, even if they may like Lucina or Robin better, will likely still enjoy Awakening's representation in Chrom.

We're talking about bringing in new players. Obviously newbies to the series who bought the game were convinced by what they saw. But you can't say that they didn't care - how many of them bought Melee because Bowser was added? How many of them bought Brawl because of Sonic or Diddy Kong? Why are you assuming that they weren't convinced partially because of the newcomers that were added?
We can't really say one way or another. There are people sensitive to the roster, but that's not the only factor that comes into consideration. There may be people who picked up the game because traditional fighters weren't fun anymore or they wanted to try a new style. Others might just enjoy the history that Smash provides. Others still just wanted a party game that they and their friends could blow a few nights on. Smash has far more appeal than just characters.

But we're also wondering about who wasn't convinced to buy Melee or Brawl who might've become a Smash newbie if one of their favorite characters was included.

We can't really know how many people that was, but those are some of the people who might be convinced to buy the game by adding more new series.
I agree. That's probably why a lot of new series(to Smash, anyway) are being focused on right now instead of building existing franchises.

Also, one thing I should point out for those saying the roster is 47+random, the 3DS screen would always be the same size, consdering the roster is 60(hypotetical number, I don't believe in this), it would still not fit in one screen without scrolling or separate pages, in the demo, the literally used almost the entire 3DS screen
Well, the icons can resize themselves if need be. Whether they do or not is currently unknown. We'll know once we see that 25th character on the 3DS screen.

Also, where are you getting 60 from? Not that anyone would mind, but that's a truly staggering number..

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
That is actually a pretty reasonable roster, but I think replacing Mewtwo with a new DK rep or Star Fox rep is a good idea.
I feel Mewtwo is much more likely as he is an easy port. It's Mewtwo in the normal roster and a new DK or Star Fax rep in DLC. Or no Mewtwo in normal roster, but he is in DLC instead of the DK or Star Fax rep.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I feel Mewtwo is much more likely as he is an easy port. It's Mewtwo in the normal roster and a new DK or Star Fax rep in DLC. Or no Mewtwo in normal roster, but he is in DLC instead of the DK or Star Fax rep.
I dunno. Even in 51/53 + Random, I don't see the Mario Theory being broken. But then, if the roster goes beyond 47 + Random, a lot of theories and certainties go out of the window.

D

Deleted member

I dount Bandana Dee, K. Rool can easily take his place in this roster, also, who is supposed to be the character at the bottom? Please, don't tell me it's another 3rd party

D

Deleted member

Well, the icons can resize themselves if need be. Whether they do or not is currently unknown. We'll know once we see that 25th character on the 3DS screen.

Also, where are you getting 60 from? Not that anyone would mind, but that's a truly staggering number..
I said it's a hypotetical number, if it was the final roster size, it wouldn't fit in one non-scrolling screen, heck, even 49 doesn't

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I dunno. Even in 51/53 + Random, I don't see the Mario Theory being broken. But then, if the roster goes beyond 47 + Random, a lot of theories and certainties go out of the window.
Could you share that theory with me? And what is important about those theories?
I dount Bandana Dee, K. Rool can easily take his place in this roster, also, who is supposed to be the character at the bottom? Please, don't tell me it's another 3rd party
K Rool seems very unlikely to be in the roster. There is very little evidence to support his playability. There's not much evidence against him. But there's barely any evidence for him vs a character like Ridley who has been teased consistently. Kremlings is just for an enemy representing DK in Smash Run. For a character that there's barely any evidence for, i don't see how K Rool can "easily take a place on the roster". And no that question mark is there for one more character we don't know about. Potentially one of the characters I thought would be DLC could fit in that spot. If that was the case, I think the Zelda rep would be on the main roster.

D

Deleted member

Could you share that theory with me? And what is important about those theories?

K Rool seems very unlikely to be in the roster. There is very little evidence to support his playability. There's not much evidence against him. But there's barely any evidence for him vs a character like Ridley who has been teased consistently. Kremlings is just for an enemy representing DK in Smash Run. For a character that there's barely any evidence for, i don't see how K Rool can "easily take a place on the roster". And no that question mark is there for one more character we don't know about. Potentially one of the characters I thought would be DLC could fit in that spot. If that was the case, I think the Zelda rep would be on the main roster.
There is more supporting K. Rool than Bandana Dee and a new Zelda rep, they didn't choose Kremlings to be the DK enemies, Tikis were, they are reviving enemies after no major appearence for no reason? I kinda doubt this

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
There is more supporting K. Rool than Bandana Dee and a new Zelda rep, they didn't choose Kremlings to be the DK enemies, Tikis were, they are reviving enemies after no major appearence for no reason? I kinda doubt this
Smash does that for many enemies. But still the evidence is more against him than for him. I would love to give a spot on the roster to him. I want him in. Just at this point it does not seem likely at all. And even if their was a new DK rep, it'd probably unfortunately be Dixie instead of a villain that has not been referenced in the reboot of his own series.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
The Mario Theory is an observation based on the CSS of each game. In every Smash entry, the Mario series is always either at the top or tied for top representation with any other series. Here's the breakdown(to save time, I'm only comparing the Big Three, Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon):

SSB64: Mario - 2: Mario, Luigi. Zelda - 1: Link. Pokemon - 2: Pikachu, Jigglypuff.

SSBM: Mario - 5: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Dr. Mario. Zelda - 4: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link. Pokemon - 4: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu.

SSBB: Mario - 4: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach. Zelda - 4: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link. Pokemon - 4: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Jigglypuff.

(Assumably)SSB4: Mario - 5: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Rosalina & Luma. Zelda - 5: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link. Pokemon - 5: Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Jigglypuff.

Since Mario is at five reps, if the roster is 47 + Random and O12 status remains inviolate, it would be impossible for another Pokemon or Zelda character to be included. I'm not saying it was designed with this in mind, I'm saying this is a pattern that is emerging.

D

Deleted member

Smash does that for many enemies. But still the evidence is more against him than for him. I would love to give a spot on the roster to him. I want him in. Just at this point it does not seem likely at all. And even if their was a new DK rep, it'd probably unfortunately be Dixie instead of a villain that has not been referenced in the reboot of his own series.
I'm going to tag the biggest K. Rool supporter to explain better than me, k? @ BKupa666 BKupa666 I guess you can explain this better than me

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The Mario Theory is an observation based on the CSS of each game. In every Smash entry, the Mario series is always either at the top or tied for top representation with any other series. Here's the breakdown(to save time, I'm only comparing the Big Three, Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon):

SSB64: Mario - 2: Mario, Luigi. Zelda - 1: Link. Pokemon - 2: Pikachu, Jigglypuff.

SSBM: Mario - 5: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Dr. Mario. Zelda - 4: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link. Pokemon - 4: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu.

SSBB: Mario - 4: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach. Zelda - 4: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link. Pokemon - 4: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Jigglypuff.

(Assumably)SSB4: Mario - 5: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Rosalina & Luma. Zelda - 5: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link. Pokemon - 5: Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Jigglypuff.

Since Mario is at five reps, if the roster is 47 + Random and O12 status remains inviolate, it would be impossible for another Pokemon or Zelda character to be included. I'm not saying it was designed with this in mind, I'm saying this is a pattern that is emerging.
Well as you said, I don't think the game is designed with this in mind. Sakurai's not going "Oh man I want Mewtwo in but can't go over Mario!" That seems unlikely and quite frankly, kinda stupid.

Now let's assume for a second that this is a rule they go by. Unlikely, but let's pretend. There's so many variables for this theory. Even though Yoshi and Wario are represented with different icons, that's only because they have had multiple of their own titles. I would bet they're still considered under that "Mario Umbrella" of characters. Now even if that isn't true (I think it is true), and the Mario theory is true, then Captain Toad as DLC fixes the problem.

I'm going to tag the biggest K. Rool supporter to explain better than me, k? @ BKupa666 BKupa666 I guess you can explain this better than me
I really do not want a K Rool argument in this thread. I've seen his evidence, it still does not change my points. I want him in, but facts are facts.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Well as you said, I don't think the game is designed with this in mind. Sakurai's not going "Oh man I want Mewtwo in but can't go over Mario!" That seems unlikely and quite frankly, kinda stupid.

Now let's assume for a second that this is a rule they go by. Unlikely, but let's pretend. There's so many variables for this theory. Even though Yoshi and Wario are represented with different icons, that's only because they have had multiple of their own titles. I would bet they're still considered under that "Mario Umbrella" of characters. Now even if that isn't true (I think it is true), and the Mario theory is true, then Captain Toad as DLC fixes the problem.
Yoshi and Wario did spin off from Mario, you're right, but as you've also said, they've established their own franchises, and can exist independent of Mario now(evidenced in Wooly World and Warioware), so they are truly their own representatives.

Mario Theory probably wouldn't apply to DLC. In fact, if DLC does happen, it'll just be wild guessing and random chance as to who gets on that boat. It just applies to the base roster.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Yoshi and Wario did spin off from Mario, you're right, but as you've also said, they've established their own franchises, and can exist independent of Mario now(evidenced in Wooly World and Warioware), so they are truly their own representatives.

Mario Theory probably wouldn't apply to DLC. In fact, if DLC does happen, it'll just be wild guessing and random chance as to who gets on that boat. It just applies to the base roster.
All these variables though for a theory we can't even prove. "Doesn't apply to DLC", " Yoshi and Wario are independent", "Only applies to base roster". We can't prove any of this as we are not inside the development conversations at Nintendo.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
All these variables though for a theory we can't even prove. "Doesn't apply to DLC", " Yoshi and Wario are independent", "Only applies to base roster". We can't prove any of this as we are not inside the development conversations at Nintendo.
You're right. It's a theory born from a pattern that happened to emerge looking from prior CSS setups. It is, however, one of the few tools we have to try and speculate the final roster more accurately.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You're right. It's a theory born from a pattern that happened to emerge looking from prior CSS setups. It is, however, one of the few tools we have to try and speculate the final roster more accurately.
I see what you're saying. But I feel like it's contradicted too easily and their's too many variables for it to be a legitimate killer or savior for rosters. If we had more Smash games to look at, we could maybe see a true pattern, but with only 3 games, it is way too likely to be coincidental. Even if it was a rule in the past, who's saying they would never ditch that?

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
True, but there is a difference between a tutorial and blatant hand-holding(as well as constant reminders of things you should really be able to deduce with a little bit of thought, like the rupee thing being repeated relentlessly whenever you pick up a different color one).
Honestly that thing is just mystifying. Even if you are a newcomer, you can remember the values of rupees after seeing them a handful of times (and you can, you know, just see how much your money increases), Zelda newbie or not.

Skyward Sword doesn't strike me as a good game for a young video game newbie, which is the only type of person who would benefit from that. The mechanics and long-term commitment in Skyward Sword are what indicate it's not primarily aimed at casuals.
Well, look toward the new crowd. Mewtwo is debatable, given his presence in X/Y, but was he really that hype for anyone besides Genwunners?
Hype for Melee fans too. I'm not really in the Pokemon community, so I can't comment on how many fans he has from newer Pokemon players.

But my argument was more that Chrom has narrow appeal than that Mewtwo or K Rool have massive appeal.
K. Rool, well, when was he last even visible?
It was a while ago, but remember DKC1-3 were massively successful - they sold 18 million copies over just those three games. Add in the Donkey Kong Land games and it's 25 million. 25 million in sales all featuring K Rool as the primary villain.

Fire Emblem's entire oeuvre has barely sold as many copies as DKC 1. Even if he's a bit outdated, he's drawing on a much larger group of DK fans. At the very least, it's not obvious that K Rool would be worse than Chrom.
Chrom was at least in a very recent and extremely successful game on Nintendo's dominant platform.
Chrom's game sold 1.2 million. That's successful, it's a hit, but I don't think it is "extremely successful". It doesn't even compare to Mario Galaxy, or DKC Returns, or Animal Crossing games.
So fans of FE, of which there are many
The problem is that FE games max out at 1.2 million. And a lot of sales of the games are from repeat buyers, meaning that you can't just add all the sales together to get the total number of fans.

And the ones who are repeat buyers already got Marth and Ike, both with great updated models (especially Ike). I don't think they need much convincing. Not that DK fans do either, but they're a much larger group at least.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I see what you're saying. But I feel like it's contradicted too easily and their's too many variables for it to be a legitimate killer or savior for rosters. If we had more Smash games to look at, we could maybe see a true pattern, but with only 3 games, it is way too likely to be coincidental. Even if it was a rule in the past, who's saying they would never ditch that?
Maybe, but it's still valid as of right now. If Mewtwo does get confirmed or something else happens that invalidates the theory, then we can toss it out, but right now it looks reasonably solid to speculate by. DLC will likely follow no pattern, as it's basically the whims of a developer that's no longer on a schedule and can monitor fan feedback more reliably(or at least after getting his bias out of the way first).

Hype for Melee fans too. I'm not really in the Pokemon community, so I can't comment on how many fans he has from newer Pokemon players.
True, but remember, Nintendo doesn't expect too long a commitment to its games from the same audience, they seem to operate on a more cyclic method.

But my argument was more that Chrom has narrow appeal than that Mewtwo or K Rool have massive appeal.
I've only played Pokemon(since Gen 1!), so I can only speak to Mewtwo as a player of the Pokemon series(even the Mystery Dungeon ones!). Then again, I wasn't really hype for any legendary until Xerneas, so maybe I'm broken?

It was a while ago, but remember DKC1-3 were massively successful - they sold 18 million copies over just those three games. Add in the Donkey Kong Land games and it's 25 million. 25 million in sales all featuring K Rool as the primary villain.
Impressive numbers, but it was admittedly forever ago. Smash is notable for its history, yes, but if DKC's going to get a new rep, it would likely be from the newer games. A fair amount of fans, especially those that jumped on board during the DKCR days, may look at K.Rool with a great deal of confusion. A great shout-out to the older fans, to be sure, but he's not really going to drive things that hard except for that earnest group. Plus, it's more than just the villain that goes into making a game series successful. Just look at Tetris(though I will admit the Reverse L Block is the true final boss. >.<; ).

Fire Emblem's entire oeuvre has barely sold as many copies as DKC 1. Even if he's a bit outdated, he's drawing on a much larger group of DK fans. At the very least, it's not obvious that K Rool would be worse than Chrom.
Chrom's game sold 1.2 million. That's successful, it's a hit, but I don't think it is "extremely successful". It doesn't even compare to Mario Galaxy, or DKC Returns, or Animal Crossing games.
FE's not really a mainstream game, and people barely associate it with Nintendo(at least here in North America) which is what makes its sales truly impressive. Same deal with Xenoblade.

The problem is that FE games max out at 1.2 million. And a lot of sales of the games are from repeat buyers, meaning that you can't just add all the sales together to get the total number of fans.
Nintendo likely looks purely at units sold more than trying to identify whether a sold unit is going to a new or repeat buyer. At least that mentality allows their constant repetition to make better sense. I've never played the FE series though, so I can't comment on its gameplay and whether elements repeat in it or not.

And the ones who are repeat buyers already got Marth and Ike, both with great updated models (especially Ike). I don't think they need much convincing. Not that DK fans do either, but they're a much larger group at least.
Well, there is still large outcry even on this very forum for additional FE characters like Lucina and Robin. Characters I know nothing about but they seem quite passionate for.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Dude, Smash is in part as the Graveyard of Nintendo. Including some characters or elements of some games that are not going to see the light again anytime soon.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think DLC characters are getting their own slots now, the widescreen you have is wide enough to fit almost 16 DLC newcomers if you are counting the 51 regular slots too.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Yeah. It's not even like my standards are impossible to reach. All I want is Ness or Lucas, and Ganondorf, preferably with a long overdue moveset revamp. After that, everything else is gravy.

The fact that Mother might be getting downsized also doesn't sit well with me as a Mother fan, but, y'know, c'est la vie.
Will you be excited for the game and plan on buying it once Ness and Ganondorf are revealed?
Except the broadest target audience should be the default target audience for a game like Smash Brothers, and that's Nintendo fans. I'm a Nintendo fan, therefore, I should be the target audience. Makes sense, right?
Well, you're right, Nintendo fans are the main target demographic, but really, Mother fans are a rather small subset of Nintendo fans, so it would be unreasonable from their perspective to focus too much on Mother's representation in the game when they could instead use that time and effort focusing on Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, Pokémon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, even Fire Emblem.
Because I actually like Xerneas. >.>;

He's the only Legendary I actually like having on teams and such. The rest are poo. :\
You've made me cry. :crying:

I can see where you'd come up with your theory, but I think they are choosing the majority of the characters to either please fans games that weren't previously represented very well/at all or to simply add something new to the series. The entire strategy with these games seems to be "create a flashy new Smash game that really emphasizes how unique this installment is in comparison to previous entries and other games on the market in general."
This may have already been asked but ... Who the hell is Takamaru?
I suggest checking out the Takamaru support thread or doing a Google search (along with the keyword "Nintendo"). But the quick answer is a samurai from an old, NES-era game that never saw official release outside of Japan. You may have seen a reference to him in one of the Nintendo Land games, Takamaru's Ninja Castle.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
FE's not really a mainstream game, and people barely associate it with Nintendo(at least here in North America) which is what makes its sales truly impressive. Same deal with Xenoblade.
I mean they're solid sales, I just don't think they're as impressive as some other series. Xenoblade is currently unrepresented in Smash, which puts it in a different situation.
Nintendo likely looks purely at units sold more than trying to identify whether a sold unit is going to a new or repeat buyer.
Sure for evaluating how worthwhile the series is. It's all about how much money they spent on development vs. how much revenue they got, yada yada.

But when it comes to Smash, it's more relevant how large the fan base is - and in that case, a high proportion of repeat buyers would mean that the same sales correspond to a small but passionate fan base vs. a larger and less passionate fan base.

I could see an argument, however, for including Chrom to benefit Fire Emblem, rather than to benefit Smash.

Which I guess I wasn't thinking about earlier - some character choices make more sense from improving Smash and others make more sense from promoting that series itself. Honestly, it's more likely that way with Shulk too. Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of the titles that could bring in fans of games like Dragon Age, a different crowd from the typical Nintendo fan. So Shulk is probably in to promote the series.

So I guess I'm defeating my own argument.
Well, there is still large outcry even on this very forum for additional FE characters like Lucina and Robin. Characters I know nothing about but they seem quite passionate for.
It's some combination of a vocal minority and some of the idiosyncrasies of the board, IMO. The amount of support I see for obscure Japanese-exclusive characters here can't possibly be representative of all Anglophone Nintendo fans, for example. It feels like people go out of their way to find characters to support sometimes.

But the sales numbers just don't bear out the notion that FE is more popular than some of these other series. If it was, they would sell more. As it is, Radiant Dawn sold 0.5 million and Awakening sold 1.3 million... DKC Returns sold 6.2 million on the Wii. Even the 3DS remake sold more than FE Awakening.

Like I said... it makes more sense if Chrom is in to promote Fire Emblem than it does for Chrom to get Smash sales.

Mega Man and Pac-Man are already gonna bring in way more sales than any of the other newcomers...

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Will you be excited for the game and plan on buying it once Ness and Ganondorf are revealed?
It'll definitely be a start. If Ganondorf comes back with a moveset revamp, day one buy for me. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Well, you're right, Nintendo fans are the main target demographic, but really, Mother fans are a rather small subset of Nintendo fans, so it would be unreasonable from their perspective to focus too much on Mother's representation in the game when they could instead use that time and effort focusing on Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, Pokémon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, even Fire Emblem.
Naturally, but considering Mother isn't likely to ever see a legitimate sequel outside of fan projects (insert Mother 4 fan game plug here), the series needs to be memorialized. Itoi won't have anything to do with the series anymore, so the last bastion of hope for the Mother series to not gradually fade into obscurity is Smash Brothers. Having said that, I can understand why Lucas would get cut, but I would have preferred whoever takes his place be another Mother character. The series has a wealth of unique and interesting characters that would fit well into Smash. It's just a shame I seem to be the only one to see it.

I understand where you're coming from. I understand it's unreasonable to focus so much on Mother when there's other Nintendo series that need love as well, but so far, most of the Nintendo series that have been getting love are ones no-one asked for, is already saturated with playable characters or are from new and unproven series. It doesn't feel like they've made efficient/effective use of their time.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Everyone perceives things differently. I'm aware, as far as Mother goes, I'm in the minority.. but I know I am hardly alone when it comes to roster regret.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Naturally, but considering Mother isn't likely to ever see a legitimate sequel outside of fan projects (insert Mother 4 fan game plug here), the series needs to be memorialized. Itoi won't have anything to do with the series anymore, so the last bastion of hope for the Mother series to not gradually fade into obscurity is Smash Brothers. Having said that, I can understand why Lucas would get cut, but I would have preferred whoever takes his place be another Mother character. The series has a wealth of unique and interesting characters that would fit well into Smash. It's just a shame I seem to be the only one to see it.

I understand where you're coming from. I understand it's unreasonable to focus so much on Mother when there's other Nintendo series that need love as well, but so far, most of the Nintendo series that have been getting love are ones no-one asked for, is already saturated with playable characters or are from new and unproven series. It doesn't feel like they've made efficient/effective use of their time.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Everyone perceives things differently. I'm aware, as far as Mother goes, I'm in the minority.. but I know I am hardly alone when it comes to roster regret.
I agree, it is a shame that the series and its SSB representation are both in such dire condition. Reading your feelings about it all actually made me start to feel a little sad, haha. Maybe in a few years all of the fans should get together and do a Rainfall-type of petition, drowning Sakurai and Nintendo with sad fan pleas. I know that would certainly sway me! If nothing else it would get me to listen to some Pollyanna music to cheer up.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
These ideas/assumptions of the roster break down have probably been brought up before, so I apologize beforehand.
I'm assuming Gematsu is correct, with Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men added, and :snake::ivysaur::squirtle::lucas:cut. I am also under the impression that Mii Fighter replaces the random button or works out some other way that doesn’t take up a slot on the roster.

Five Reps (15)
Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Three Reps (9)

Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem

Two Reps (6)

DK, Metroid, Kid Icarus

Singles (14)

EarthBound, F-Zero, Yoshi, Wario, Ice Climbers, G&W, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Punch Out!!, R.O.B, X, Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun (or another series)

Third Party (3)

Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man

Some more assumptions:

Pokemon’s 5th rep could go either way, but I think:jigglypuff:could be replaced by:mewtwopm:, despite Jiggly being an OG 12.

Now, if there are in fact 50 characters, I believe the three series in the Two Reps category will go into the Three Reps, adding Ridley, King K Rool/Dixie Kong and Hades/Medusa. If this is the case, I think our next confirmed veteran could be:falco:, leaving every series (aside from Mario and the Singles) with one unannounced character.

The starting roster could be 30, with 17(20) unlockables. Excluding Miis, there are currently 32 characters confirmed. If :falco:&:popo: are announced next, the starting roster would be all announced characters minus Luigi, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

This means :wario:&:metaknight: would now be unlockables, despite starting in Brawl. I am under the impression that the current lack of villains/rivals confirmed so far has to do with the common idea of a villains trailer or something other. Since Bowser is already a starter, Mario’s rival would be Wario, just representing his own series.

I don’t have an idea of how the DLC characters could work (maybe the same way Mii Fighter works). I could also be completely wrong about everything, but I felt like sharing some thoughts as a first time poster.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's a bit of a lost cause when people immediately claim K. Rool is unlikely, then search for reasons to support the claim, rather than making a claim based on evaluation of game and development factors. This is where you see cherry-picked arguments like "Muhrelevance matters because...because!" and "It doesn't matter that Kremlings are revived, unless Tiki Tong is now a shoo-in because of the Tikis" come into play.

That's off-topic, though. Anyhow, if we do get 51 characters, I think there may be a chance Lucas is one of the characters, alongside a few hidden newcomers. Remember, Gematsu said "Lucas is likely to be cut [based on internal discussion]," not that he was 100% removed from the game.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
It'll definitely be a start. If Ganondorf comes back with a moveset revamp, day one buy for me. I'm not holding my breath, however.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Nintendo to at least confirm that at least one of them will be back. (Ness or Lucas, that is). Even though I know Lucas is likely to get the cut, let's please not forget what happened when Earthbound was released on VC.
Call Earthbound small and niche, but they're a passionate fanbase if they can get their game to (even temporarily) outsell Donkey Kong. While it's on sale, no less. I've said this elsewhere, but I'm not actually likely to buy the game if I don't know I've got a Mother character waiting for me.

Anyways, yeah, off-topic. I personally think the roster is going to be 47 rather than 51. The spots fit much more perfectly onto the screen, and things like this are intentionally designed. To anyone who says it could change: it's unlikely. You say Sakurai can redesign it if he needs to fit more characters, but guys, 3 months probably isn't enough time to add a new character. It's possible, but I find it unlikely, given how close they are. Yeah, they could make and program a character fully, but they wouldn't have time for all the rigorous bug fixes, testing, and balancing that would need to go into them to make them of sufficient quality. With this in mind, it's likely that Sakurai designed this CSS specifically for the number of characters he has. Unlike us, Sakurai knows the exact number.

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Yeah, the CSS will have been designed already to fill out the screen without changing the shape of each character box. At the current height/width ratio of the character boxes, the area accomodates 48 slots when there are 4 rows. I think a fifth row is probably quite unlikely.

to get 47 characters is not something we should feel bad about. That's a lot. Definitely more than I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom