• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

48 Characters...If true, will that make an accurate tier list impossible?

EPX2

Smash Ace
i doubt very much there will be 48 separate movesets. 48 characters can be easily shoehorned in as costume changes ala warios overalls costume (lucas with a ness model anyone?)
No one refers to costume changes as separate characters and it's ridiculous to even suggest that. No one considers Daisy to be a character in Melee, after all. Even so, it's pretty obvious that Wario's the only character with an alternate costume.

However, I agree that we probably won't see a roster of completely unique characters, whatever the number. I have no doubt that we'll seeing at least a few clones/semi-clones.

Also, the notion that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is not as deep a fighting game as SSBM is just stupid, I have to say.

courte

Smash Lord
doesn't jump superstars have an AT type system which is broken and aabused

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
I think the people here need to understand the purpose of a tier list.

Tier lists are based SPECIFICALLY on tournament results (well the current one is at least).
Actually, there not.

Tier list are based upon good/bad match-ups and depending how many good/bad matches they have and how good/bad they are compared to other characters determinds there rank in the tier list.

In other words, the character with the least amount of bad matchup is usually top tier.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Tier list aren't very accurate when I play smash... I mean I know the characters at the top are definitely broken when it comes to power and speed.. but there are characters that can beat them..

for example I never have trouble when playing against a fox user.. because I main samus in melee, but oddly I have some trouble against Zelda users...

Yum_Cha

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.........Their will always be tier, they even have tiers for really bad fighting games like some of the older Mortal Kombats. The tier list will always be changing as more and more people figure things out, like how people originally thought Jigglypuff counter foxed, or how Falco moved up on the tier list.

Making the list can be done, CvS2 is a lot more balance the Mvc2 and it has a tier list with over 44 characters and 6 grooves. Technically you could say it has a total of 264 different characters.

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
The number of characters is irrelevant. Since you know tiers exist and what they are, you know that some characters are better than others are. This is a fact, and it doesn't change the ability to make a tier list. It'll just take longer to figure everything out, but the list will be made eventually.
You forget though, tires don exist.

Seriously though, tiers are based on how many people win tournament s with each character. There is not one definite tier (cough gimpyfish cough)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wouldn't miss tiers anyway, if they were gone it would just encourage people to play with the characters they want to play with and not play with a character just because it's the best one.

I really hope any character can be beaten with another character with the right strategy in brawl.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Tiers are real but then again no one plays perfect which gives even masters of bottom tier players a chance to be some of the best players around, and tourny winnable.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
honestly people, no one cares if you don't like or believe in tiers, they exist, just because you don't understand them doesn't mean you have to dislike/disbelieve in them.

also, I see I made a mistake (albeit a subtle one, my bad tho) in my math

and finally, I play a very balanced Melee, I choose one of 5 characters from everywhere on the tier list and am just as good with all of them, tiers don't affect my everyday playing, BUT, the reason I am talking about them is it's good to know the competition, because, like it or not, high-top tier characters will be playes most of the time at tourneys. So I need to try and stay on top of the metagame. ramble. ramble. ramble-ble.

get my point here?

(btw I play
Falco
Young Link
C. Falcon
Yoshi
Luigi)

Do-Ryu

Smash Rookie
I agree there's obviously going to be some characters better then other but it's just a straight line best to worst. If anyone here has ever played fire emblem the characters are moreso like the magic and weapons.
Swords trump Axes.
Axes trump Lances
Lances trump Swords.
No one is better then them all but everything does good and bad against something else.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
You're not thinking very big if you think it's impossible to compile a tier list. There have been games with ALOT more characters that have had tier lists made. You realize there is one for Pokemon right? That game has 400+ monsters.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
People who don't understand how tiers work make me feel sad.

You guys can go on not believing in tiers and ****, but when I kick your Pichu's *** with Marth, you'll understand why they work and why they are real.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Tires don exits!

I don't think it would make an accurate tier list impossible. It would make it harder, especially if the characters were more balanced, but isn't that a good thing? Play that's a lot more balanced?

Besides, the 48 character thing has been "debunked" I think.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Marvel Vs. Capcom isn't as deep a fighting as Smash Melee. And it would look to continue that way. It's seems hard to make a tier list with 43-53 characters in a game as deep as brawl. And also, will final smashes fit into the tier list, or even a separate tier list which takes FS into account?
Erm... you're wrong about that MvC thing. :)

It won't be hard to make a tier list with 50~ characters; it has been done with other games, like MvC. Alternate costumes won't be considered alternate characters unless their physics change. And we can't judge whether final smashes will be involved in the tier list, because we don't know if they will be used in smashboards tournaments. MLG and EVO will most likely both carry smash, but it is ultimately up to the SBR, really.

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
48 characters probably isn't gonna happen. It be awesome even with (luigified) clones in my opinion. In 11 days we'll see. Who would he put in?

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
I have never played Melee competitively and I had never heard there were "tiers" until last year. Right after that, my gameplay style changed and I started sucking with Roy after reading that he was low tier.

That sucked.

If a tier-list is made, I'm not looking at it. I will use every character to the best of its ability and Ike will be my main =D

Do-Ryu

Smash Rookie
I think that right there is the main idea that should be drilled into everybodies head. Most people who play Smash Bros. play for recreation, and therefore they do what they want and use who they want when they play for "fun" after all it's a game designed to please us. When it get's to the point that society has to begin to tell us how to play games and that we should conform to certain gameplay stratagies then i personnaly feel we will all be screwed. Because when the time comes that you have to be told how to play a game which has names implying you should go crazy "meelee" "brawl" then i personnaly will have to give up on life.:chuckle:

Faith

Smash Apprentice
Like somebody said before there will always be characters that just have that edge over others and in the end there will be always a top 5 which is the important part of the tier list.
Who cares if Pichu is better then Donkey Kong.

joeMamma2332

Smash Rookie
Spoilers

iv read on a blog from japan that
-rosilina(from super Mario galaxy) is an assist trophie
-Monty mole is an assist trophie
ALSO
under the person who does Leon Kennedy (I don't remember who he) is but on his imdb page his recent work says super smash brawl

And on a Nintendo dictionary where you look where characters came from and who they are Daisys says that she is suspected to make an apperance

theres a video on youtube that looks real and its Bomerman in brawl(most likely an assist trophie

ness jigglypuff and some Pokemon who i don't know his name
were leaked in a sticker update
(most of you already know that)

and thats all i know for right now
im not sure if some of these are true but i thtink most of them are

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Constantly changing meta game? Oh nohz!

Personally, I think it would be great. More originality, and less people copying one another to a point were eventually everyone plays one of 5 characters...

Top Bottom