• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4.0 Sonic Dream Thread

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
The issue here is what you're using the dash for.
Sonic's initial dash distance/animation length is by far one of the longest in the game so it's more useful for invading space and baiting attacks in threat zones before quickly running out. Other characters like Falcon and Fox cannot do this as well as their dashes, while having higher acceleration, do not yield nearly the same distance that Sonic does.

People seem to complain that it's Sonic's acceleration that makes it harder to tech chase people with than characters like Falcon but it is really a multitude of factors. Sonic's down throw in particular places the opponent at a range on stage at low-mid percents which is usually around the peak of his dash length, this means that Sonic has to pivot if he wants to cancel the dash animation into anything other than his jump cancel options or dash attack/specials. Falcon, however, has a down throw that places the opponent at a great range for him after wavedashing in place or forward, allowing him to appropriately capitalise on any tech option, this is aided especially by his shorter dash length.

I can understand why people find it frustrating to tech chase with Sonic compared to others but changing stuff like dash length and down throw trajectory would ruin other aspects of his character. It is clear that Sonic cannot tech chase as well characters like Falcon, Charizard, Sheik etc but it is still one of his stronger points over other characters. Admittedly, I am not the best at tech chasing and my analysis may not be completely astute but I hope you guys can understand where I'm coming from.

I haven't picked up a controller in awhile on account of being a university student (RIP) so I can't really be as specific as I'd like to be but my grab game's always been one of my strongest points. Tech chasing with Sonic /is/ different, and it is easy to drop, but it's incredibly useful and with Sonic, if you're able to get extensive tech chases/chain throws/juggles across the stage, then you can get your opponent to turtle really easy. And getting your opponent to turtle just makes your life so easy, to the point where the game's basically already over. Even if you haven't yet learned to optimize your tech chasing, down throw still provides huge advantage if you're able to place yourself near them as fast as possible, and can still put your opponent in a situation where they're afraid of being hit, and then panic spot dodge or something like that. This basically makes it such that you can start another sequence of grabs or start an edgeguard, which is one of Sonic's best strengths imo. I wish I could make this more coherent but I've been up far too long doing econ. RIP.
TL;DR, Sonic's tech chases are as good as they get, and even if you suck at 'em then you still get significant positional advantage out of them (akin to Marth).

Top Bottom