• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Home Button Crash

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
My physical copy of SSB4 straight-out crashes my 3DS (guaranteed 100% of the time, every time, no matter what, ever) if I try to close the game using the home menu.

It's not a big problem, no. I mean, I can just turn the system back on, but this seems like an odd bug, yet I haven't heard of it online whatsoever. I'm thinking it's probably just a faulty cart, but I that's just a guess.

Anyone else have this problem? Just me? Probably just me...

Last edited:

Berrial

Smash Cadet
I'm experiencing the same thing, whenever i close the game, i always use the power button to completely close my 3ds before turning it back on. Annoying, but I can live with it.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
When you say "crash" do you mean it actually legit messes up and crashes?

Because Super Smash Bros. for 3DS uses like 100% of the 3DS's power and every single copy forces the system to restart if you close it from the home menu.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
When you say "crash" do you mean it actually legit messes up and crashes?

Because Super Smash Bros. for 3DS uses like 100% of the 3DS's power and every single copy forces the system to restart if you close it from the home menu.
The system goes blank and unresponsive, turns off completely, then restarts a moment later. Does that really happen with every copy? Isn't that a problem?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
The system goes blank and unresponsive, turns off completely, then restarts a moment later. Does that really happen with every copy? Isn't that a problem?
Yes, the game makes the system restart every time it's closed because it uses so much of the 3DS's power. When you close it, it says "please wait" for a second, screen goes blank, then the 3DS restarts.

Last edited:

NeoGC

Smash Rookie
NNID
NeoGC64
3DS FC
4914-3214-6776
Yup! That's all normal! If you want to get even more technical:

• When a CPU intensive game like Smash 4 or Monster Hunter 4 is booted, the 3DS is sliently rebooted into an expanded memory mode. This is why the game takes longer than other 3DS games to start up.

• When in this high memory usage mode, the home screen's allocated memory is reduced (Or so I believe), hence why it takes longer for the HOME menu to appear, and also explains why you can't use the Internet Browser nor Miiverse.

• The 3DS cannot exit this mode unless it is restarted. So, when you exit Smash 4, the game is programmed to reset the 3DS so that it can "refresh" it and put it back in standard memory mode, ready for whatever you're going to do next.

The more you know!~

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice

• When a CPU intensive game like Smash 4 or Monster Hunter 4 is booted, the 3DS is sliently rebooted into an expanded memory mode. This is why the game takes longer than other 3DS games to start up.

• When in this high memory usage mode, the home screen's allocated memory is reduced (Or so I believe), hence why it takes longer for the HOME menu to appear, and also explains why you can't use the Internet Browser nor Miiverse.

• The 3DS cannot exit this mode unless it is restarted. So, when you exit Smash 4, the game is programmed to reset the 3DS so that it can "refresh" it and put it back in standard memory mode, ready for whatever you're going to do next.

The more you know!~
Well sh**. This guy knows what's up, huh?

The more you know!~
Well stated! The New 3DS's shouldn't have this issue thanks to the added processing power.

NeoGC

Smash Rookie
NNID
NeoGC64
3DS FC
4914-3214-6776
Well stated! The New 3DS's shouldn't have this issue thanks to the added processing power.
Looking at the specs, the New 3DS has a quad-core based processor instead of the regular 3DS's dual-core based processor, so playing games like MH4 or Smash will be MUCH snappier and responsive. The home menu won't lag and it probably won't need to reset out of high memory mode after every play.

Now...if only I had the money for a new 3DS XL... :/

Ginchoko1

Smash Rookie
when i press the home menu the screen freezes and never return to home menu... i have to press the power button to restart the 3ds... someone else have this issue? D:

Top Bottom