• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 Roster = TRUE!

LuLLo

Smash Ace
People seriously need to stop whining about this roster, in the end we'll play it and love it, that's a fact, look what happened to Melee....
And about Wolf, we don't even know how he plays yet, so stfu about ''clones'' because WE DON'T KNOW YET!!

Be happy with what you get, yeah sure, I was hoping for Ridley and Megaman too, but I'm not disappointed or anything, because I wasn't dreaming about any characters or begged every night for them to get in, I just hoped for a good game, and like I said before, it may look like a$$ now, but in the end we will all PLAY it and LOVE it...

plshrk729

Smash Cadet
I like it a lot, but I'm also a little bit disappaointed as we will probably be playing this game for the next 7 years. In a week or two I'll pry be loving the roster though

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
I'm borrowing this picture from a certain someone...

http://www.daviddino.com/posting.jpg

Now seriously, Don't think of it as 35 characters. Sheik makes it 36, and PT should be counted as three, making it 39. ZSS makes it 40 for people who play with FSes and Samus and the Samus player gets a smash ball.

So it's 39 for competitive play if you don't have FSes (look at today's update if you don't get it, on the two 'switch between guys' characters, you can choose who you start with). Sure PT has a 2 minute stamina thing, but still...

Now for a few other things:

1. Lucario - I've looked at vids, and from what I can tell, Aura Sphere is about as close to Mewtwo as he goes. His other moves seem to be different, so shut up. Besides, you haven't played as him. Lucario seems to be somewhat different, although we can't be too sure. If you haven't played the game, you can't be sure.

2. Toon Link - Look, think for a moment. REMEMBER how they CHANGED the regular Link this time? Yeah. Toon Link seems to have Link's OLD set for those of us who liked the old special move set, not to mention a few other differences. Nothing's sure though UNTIL WE PLAY THE FREAKING GAME. Judge the game FOR YOURSELF when you play it.

3. R.O.B. - I see loads of complaining about this one... I don't know what to say... You can judge him for yourself when you play the game, but as to why he's in... He was an old package in with the original Nes, and helped it! Besides, he's memorable and a little...cute. Besides, he has the potential for a really unique moveset. So stop complaining, you don't even know how he plays yet!

4. Wolf - ZOMG WULF GOTZ IN TEH GAM SUCKZ11!!!!111!1!11! No not really. Wolf is the old time enemy of Fox. He's been around a lot longer than Krystal you know. Why DOESN'T Fox's longtime enemy be in Brawl? It's kind of logical if you think about it, although I would've like Krystal. And while he does seem to have the Landmaster for a FS, we don't know the exact details. So just wait until you can finally play as him before judging him!

5. Mewtwo being gone - Well I don't get this at all. *sigh* But that doesn't mean the game auto-fails, so please stop saying that, thanks.

6. Ridley - I was hoping he'd be in as a PC, but now I see that they made him a huge two-encounter boss instead, I'm happy with it. But again, though I'm a little disappointed on this, it may still be an awesome game.

7. The old 'clones' that came back - Well, Ganondorf was a given, and he at least has a new up+B. We aren't positive about the rest of him though. But don't judge him yet. Falco? Well, he was not only cool, he had some differences from Fox. We're not sure how he's changed though.

8. The new 'clones' - Toon Link seems to have different enough specials than Link, looking more like the older link (possibly young link), and seems to be a litttle quicker, has young link's up+b, but a new dair. Wolf? Well we don't know much about him yet.

You haven't played the game, and anyways, we know that even those who say they weren't gonna buy it are gonna buy it eventually anyways.

OH YEAH, 40 from 26 is 14. The same amount of guys that were added to melee from SSB.

Final note - Sakurai added LOADS of new content, new features, the gameplay looks smooth, lots more music and it can change and lots is unlockable, lots of trophies, SSE looks fun and interesting, and lots of other things. Don't judge the game yet.

Besides, we don't know how balanced the game yet. Ever thought all those delays were not just for more content, but so the game was more balanced than melee? Yeah. If there are more than 5-6 characters that are generally used in tourney play, I'll be happy. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a balanced one? Yeah.

and again...
http://www.daviddino.com/posting.jpg

That is all.

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
Woah, this woke my morning up! I really thought Krystal would make it before Wolf, and I was a Wolf supporter.

Awesome!

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
I thought Sakurai said there'd be 3 third-party characters in, what happened to the third?

I also hope at least those characters who didn't make in as PC (Krystal, Ridley, K.ROOL) will get at least cameos/a part in the villans of SSE; Krystal's VA was confirmed a while ago, but she's not a PC, what else is left for her? A speaking trophy? <.<

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Fine roster, game looks balanced so far

What happened to Krystal?
I ate her.

This roster could have been a lot worse, trust me. Just look at any other fighting game. :laugh:

Besides, we all know that clones will play differently from their originals. Just look at Melee clones. See what I mean?

Sure, the WTF characters are really way out there, but seriously, at least they made (from the looks of it) the game balanced.

I think you guys just hyped this game far too much, hahaha. :chuckle:

firefox451

Smash Rookie
Very disappointed. I know everyone's given their reasons, but I don't think I've seen this one yet: Sakurai was selfish with his picks. By adding 3 characters from the Kirby series - all with unique movesets - he ignored other series by giving them a radically small number of characters (Metroid), clones (Star Fox + MOTHER), or simply a couple of returning vets. And while I loved DeDeDe, Metaknight, Olimar, and all those original characters it disappoints me that the development time in this game was not focused on original moves and balancing the gameplay - that is ultimately what I come to this game for. In favoring Kirby (as Sakurai admitted he avoided doing in previous games), he didn't put the time into investigating great characters from other series. He may be tying the classic 'Masterpieces' into his series more than ever, but he played it safe - he knows the Kirby characters and had no problem implementing them; adding foreign characters would have been difficult. When I play Smash, I look to master as many characters as I can from as many classic games - for many, it was my first time playing as that character and getting to know their particularities. I get the feeling that the bar was set really high at E3 2006 - with Wario, Zamus, Snake, etc. - but that was the creative peak. Sakurai played it real safe with the roster.

But ignore the whole 'fair series representation' argument. Where are the surprises? ROB for me is the only one. Where is the fan service Sakurai has championed in Iwata Asks and the interviews he's conducted? And why did so many great characters need to be banished to AT status? We all figured because there were so many characters, but that's not the case.

What really happened? Sakurai figured that he had 20 original characters in the last game and he added 6 clones near the end as fan service. This time, he had to beat the 20 number - when most fans were using 26 as the benchmark. His expectations seriously fell below our mark. The number of great characters as ATs seriously is just a further kick in the pants. I mean, how can he allude to the fact that the character from Sin & Punishment would have made a great character - ultimately an AT - when the roster number would be filled with clones and un-surprising 'mainstream' choices. I mean, why even tempt us with the possibility of cult characters joining the roster?! Obviously they weren't going to at all.

Ultimately, this is a fighting game and no fighting game in the world is lauded for the number of stages, items, and non-playable characters. I am not going to start judging Brawl any differently. I want to learn new moves, new character combinations, and more . If they hadn't delayed the game so often and for so long, maybe I wouldn't care - but a part of me hoped I would be playing as many unique and new characters; and that part of me is disappointed. For shame Sakurai, you played it safe. You played it selfish.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
I'd give this roster 5/10 at most.
Ganondorf being a clone is heavily disappointing, and ZSS not being separately selectable is depressing. The triple FS for the SF characters is also really really pathetic. ROB = Tournament banned.

Lucario is cool though, and toon link seems interesting though pretty bad. If they've done the clones better (i.e Fox, Falco and Wolf arent the same -.-) i might change my score to something a lil better.

I'm not pissed nor angry, i'm just dissapointed. To all those who say "WTF man?!?!11oneSin^2X + Cos^2X characters arent the most important part of the game!" all i can say is yes, yes they are.

I still think the game is awesome and would buy a wii just for this game, but i think Sakurai focused on the wrong aspects of the game. SSE is will be gone when people have cleared it. The standard fights are the most important and the fact that very important characters like Ganondorf didnt even get his own move set after a huge team working on the game and for a huge amount of time, with two addition delays is veeery disappointing.

Oh well, can't always get what you want.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Didn't the person doing Krystal's voice leak info?

So...does this make here an assist trophy?

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
I thought Sakurai said there'd be 3 third-party characters in, what happened to the third?
Sakurai said there'd be ONE or TWO more characters than Snake, not explicitly three third-parties. Obviously, he went with one.

I don't think the roster's that bad (I got Sonic and my old main Marth back) :chuckle: , though I was really hoping for Krystal. I'm not opposed to clones unless they're the same **** person, like Mario and Dr. Mario (so yeah, not happy with Toon Link, even if they are technically different). Also, I saw ROB and went WTF? But I guess we all said that with Mr. Game and Watch in Melee, so I'm not too surprised. It's actually cool to get some originality every now and then. I know a lot of people are disappointed for no Ridley, but I think he'll be in as a SSE boss, so he might be in one way or another.

So overall, I'll give it a 8.5/10 for lots of good characters, minus a couple popular requests. It's really not that bad, and who would actually play with 45 or so different characters? Besides, we'll just have to see what other stages are in (I've seen the list of starting stages), but I think this will still be the greatest game in video game history to this date.

firefox451

Smash Rookie
Sakurai said he would add 1 or 2 more 3rd party characters... we were all hoping for the over on this one.
Wishful thinking, sadly.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
Very disappointed. I know everyone's given their reasons, but I don't think I've seen this one yet: Sakurai was selfish with his picks. By adding 3 characters from the Kirby series - all with unique movesets - he ignored other series by giving them a radically small number of characters (Metroid), clones (Star Fox + MOTHER), or simply a couple of returning vets. And while I loved DeDeDe, Metaknight, Olimar, and all those original characters it disappoints me that the development time in this game was not focused on original moves and balancing the gameplay - that is ultimately what I come to this game for. In favoring Kirby (as Sakurai admitted he avoided doing in previous games), he didn't put the time into investigating great characters from other series. He may be tying the classic 'Masterpieces' into his series more than ever, but he played it safe - he knows the Kirby characters and had no problem implementing them; adding foreign characters would have been difficult. When I play Smash, I look to master as many characters as I can from as many classic games - for many, it was my first time playing as that character and getting to know their particularities. I get the feeling that the bar was set really high at E3 2006 - with Wario, Zamus, Snake, etc. - but that was the creative peak. Sakurai played it real safe with the roster.

But ignore the whole 'fair series representation' argument. Where are the surprises? ROB for me is the only one. Where is the fan service Sakurai has championed in Iwata Asks and the interviews he's conducted? And why did so many great characters need to be banished to AT status? We all figured because there were so many characters, but that's not the case.

What really happened? Sakurai figured that he had 20 original characters in the last game and he added 6 clones near the end as fan service. This time, he had to beat the 20 number - when most fans were using 26 as the benchmark. His expectations seriously fell below our mark. The number of great characters as ATs seriously is just a further kick in the pants. I mean, how can he allude to the fact that the character from Sin & Punishment would have made a great character - ultimately an AT - when the roster number would be filled with clones and un-surprising 'mainstream' choices. I mean, why even tempt us with the possibility of cult characters joining the roster?! Obviously they weren't going to at all.

Ultimately, this is a fighting game and no fighting game in the world is lauded for the number of stages, items, and non-playable characters. I am not going to start judging Brawl any differently. I want to learn new moves, new character combinations, and more . If they hadn't delayed the game so often and for so long, maybe I wouldn't care - but a part of me hoped I would be playing as many unique and new characters; and that part of me is disappointed. For shame Sakurai, you played it safe. You played it selfish.
Hey, is that much complaint really necessary, and for you to post it multiple times? Jeez, you are on one angry power trip. There certainly appear to be much fewer clones on the roster, and how do you know some of these aren't clones anymore (like Ganondorf)? Relax, man, every video game can have more, but we got a bunch out of Sakurai, so why complain about it?

firefox451

Smash Rookie
Hey, is that much complaint really necessary, and for you to post it multiple times? Jeez, you are on one angry power trip. There certainly appear to be much fewer clones on the roster, and how do you know some of these aren't clones anymore (like Ganondorf)? Relax, man, every video game can have more, but we got a bunch out of Sakurai, so why complain about it?
Double-posting because the entire world is on this board (lag-fest).
Does it not upset you that Sakurai beefed up the Kirby roster with 2originals but other series only got 1 new original at most? Examples: Zamus, Olimar, Toon Link (forget if he's a clone). Only Pokemon got 2 new originals. It's not an overall fan service in my opinion - it's a Kirby fan service. The unoriginality in researching movesets for Falco and Wolf would suggest this.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
I understand about the lag. I'm having trouble even staying on the site.

But anyway, no, actually I'm not disappointed in it. I'm not a Kirby player by any standard (I have already devoted myself to Sonic in SSBB), but Kirby did deserve more. I'll be honest, who else would be a character for Pikmin or Metroid? I mean, yeah, you can argue Ridley, but I think he makes more sense as a boss (though I would've liked to see him as a character.) Kirby has 3 characters with 3 movesets, Mario's got 4 characters with 3 movesets (not including Yoshi, who more or less is a Mario character), Pokemon's got 4 characters with (count them) 6 movesets. Kirby needed more reps since Melee (should've had more in Melee), and you're complaining about how many of them have original movesets. As for Star Fox, I have no idea what happened there, but it's a single case, compared to what I listed above.

firefox451

Smash Rookie
You're right that Mario and Zelda have a fair number of characters - but we've seen all of them before; as we know, Sakurai barely changed these characters' movesets. Ultimately, with so many old characters in the roster, I feel as if this game is Melee 2.0. That's great, because I still love Melee to this day - but not so great after 7 years passed since the last game. Sure, only 3 years were spent in development, but after 7 years we've had so many new Nintendo titles, plenty of devloping popularity for characters (can you say Ridley in Prime?) and so many more creative licenses to explore.
Metroid got the shaft - big time. (Guess that's why Sakurai included so many Metroid stages) Star Fox got the shaft but in a really different way. (Hey, at least he tried to add a fair number of characters!! lol)

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
i think i would have preferred krystal just to see a character with a staff.

but i dont have a problem with the clones are like gannon and falcon or fox and falco. in both of those cases, they played so vastly different from each other, mastering one did NOT mean you were good as the other. doc and mario were disappointing for me in melee along with pichu. im curious to see how fox, falco, and wolf, all compare.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
How is it unfair that the Kirby series got 2 more characters? First off, Sakurai went through the first TWO GAMES without having ANYONE repping his own original series other than Kirby. On top of that, he nerfed Kirby to become one of the worst characters in the last game. I think THAT'S pretty modest in itself because I'm pretty sure just about everyone here would have added their own favorite characters in to each game if they were heading the project.

I'm sorry, I just fail to see how adding 2 characters from the series is unfair.
Fox has Fox, Falco and now Wolf. That's three.
Mario has Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and you can even count Yoshi (and heck lets leave DK out since he finally has another rep).
Legend of Zelda has Zelda, Shiek, Link AND Toon/Young Link.
Mother/Earthbound has Ness and Lucas.
Fire Emblem has Ike and Marth (and HAD Roy).

So really, please tell me where the unfairness comes in. Sure there are some franchises that are not under-represented but don't blame it on the Kirby franchise for having enough main characters to add into the game with completely original movesets. In no way, does this constitute "selfishness" on Sakurai's part. He did for the Kirby series what he did for the other series' as well, only with more logical choices. Dedede and Meta Knight are and have always been pretty obvious choices for Smash Bros. since the beginning, if you ask me.

There aren't many other characters that are shoe-ins for a spot in Smash Bros. in the Mother series. Claus is pretty much the only other one that would make much sense. If Roy had been left in then Fire Emblem would be on the same page as Kirby.

If you're going to blame someone/thing for the roster's apparent "lackluster" appeal, then don't blame it on any of the franchises. Simply because Sakurai created Kirby doesn't mean he's being selfish by adding in the three main characters from the series.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
How is it unfair that the Kirby series got 2 more characters? First off, Sakurai went through the first TWO GAMES without having ANYONE repping his own original series other than Kirby. On top of that, he nerfed Kirby to become one of the worst characters in the last game. I think THAT'S pretty modest in itself because I'm pretty sure just about everyone here would have added their own favorite characters in to each game if they were heading the project.

I'm sorry, I just fail to see how adding 2 characters from the series is unfair.
Fox has Fox, Falco and now Wolf. That's three.
Mario has Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and you can even count Yoshi (and heck lets leave DK out since he finally has another rep).
Legend of Zelda has Zelda, Shiek, Link AND Toon/Young Link.
Mother/Earthbound has Ness and Lucas.
Fire Emblem has Ike and Marth (and HAD Roy).

So really, please tell me where the unfairness comes in. Sure there are some franchises that are not under-represented but don't blame it on the Kirby franchise for having enough main characters to add into the game with completely original movesets. In no way, does this constitute "selfishness" on Sakurai's part. He did for the Kirby series what he did for the other series' as well, only with more logical choices. Dedede and Meta Knight are and have always been pretty obvious choices for Smash Bros. since the beginning, if you ask me.

There aren't many other characters that are shoe-ins for a spot in Smash Bros. in the Mother series. Claus is pretty much the only other one that would make much sense. If Roy had been left in then Fire Emblem would be on the same page as Kirby.

If you're going to blame someone/thing for the roster's apparent "lackluster" appeal, then don't blame it on any of the franchises. Simply because Sakurai created Kirby doesn't mean he's being selfish by adding in the three main characters from the series.

Top Bottom