• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

35 Character Roster/VIDEO Pro! Confirmations lay in Sheik!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Okay, Brawl's select screen uses pictures from the Dojo correct? Well yes, that's what it was like at the demo. But wait, in the "leaked" video, a pciture of Sheik is shown besides the Zelda icon. The pic of Sheik is not on the Dojo! Does this farther confirm the video and 35 roster rumor?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Sheik pic not from Dojo or any other source. It must then logically be from the game right?

Civy

Smash Cadet
Sorry, but it seems to be Sheik artwork from the Dojo.
Not hard to renderize it and putting it next to Zelda.

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
How exactly does the video being confirmed confirm a 35 character roster?
"ZOMG BECAUSE A GUY SAID IF YOU MOVE ALL OF THE BOXES AROUND IT CAN LOOK LIKE A 35 CHAR REKTANGL WOW!" You people and your 35 character roster. **** Reno!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
does reno matter? who the balls knows. all i know is the roster, real as it may be or fake as it could be, lacks ridley, krystal, and k. rool. it has like no unlockable newcomers. it's a bad, suckjunk roster. Pew.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
To me, Reno's and MM's roster has the best chance of all the leaks, mostly because of their good histories and congruence with other rumors that sort of match up.

Of course, with Toon Link as a trophy and both RObs sort of appearing in Dojo updates already something is still odd.

But if you follow that "They can't have trophies/stickers before they are unveiled even if the stickers/trophies aren't the ones you get from completing 1-player modes" line of logic then Krystal is out anyway. So I am pretty much bummed a bit, even though I'll find Brawl awesome.

OH WELL! Guess I'll hope for DC or some char not part of the 35-roster updating before the Japan release. I've heard Ikki, Socunai or some other person (something with "queen") in Japan getting the game and possibly uploading something on Friday. What with Japan being ahead in time I guess we might be able to settle for a roster on Friday.

Which would be nice - if I am disappointed, and I am trying to get ready for that by considering Reno and MM's credentials, I need some time to digest. I mean, I was young when I saw the Melee roster so I could sort of take that. This time I have been waiting longer, and will be seriously iffed by any roster that keeps Metroid at one char and doesn't give a weapon-wielding chick with many requests a spot. I mean, why take a vote if you are going to give Wolf and Rob a spot?

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
To me, Reno's and MM's roster has the best chance of all the leaks, mostly because of their good histories and congruence with other rumors that sort of match up.

Of course, with Toon Link as a trophy and both ROBs appearing in Dojo updates already something is still odd.

But if you follow that "They can't have trophies/stickers before they are unveiled even if the stickers/trophies aren't the ones you get from completing 1-player modes" line of logic then Krystal is out anyway. So I am pretty much bummed a bit, even though I'll find Brawl awesome.

OH WELL! Guess I'll hope for DC or some char not part of the 35-roster updating before the Japan release. I've heard Ikki, Socunai or some other person (something with "queen" I think) in Japan getting the game and possibly uploading something on Friday. What with Japan being ahead in time I guess we might be able to settle for a roster on Friday.

Which would be nice - if I am disappointed, and I am trying to get ready for that by considering Reno and MM's credentials, I need some time to digest. I mean, I was young when I saw the Melee roster so I could sort of take that. This time I have been waiting longer, and will be seriously iffed by any roster that keeps Metroid at one char and doesn't give a weapon-wielding chick with many requests a spot. I mean, why take a vote if you are going to give Wolf and Rob a spot?

The Joker died. don't kill my dream of seeing a battle between Krystal and Ridley as well, reality ಠ____________ಠ

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman

Of course, with Toon Link as a trophy and both ROBs appearing in Dojo updates already something is still odd.

OH WELL! Guess I'll hope for DC or some char not part of the 35-roster updating before the Japan release. I've heard Ikki, Socunai or some other person (something with "queen" I think) in Japan getting the game and possibly uploading something on Friday. What with Japan being ahead in time I guess we might be able to settle for a roster on Friday.

The Joker died. don't kill my dream of seeing a battle between Krystal and Ridley as well, reality ಠ____________ಠ

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sorry, but it seems to be Sheik artwork from the Dojo.
Not hard to renderize it and putting it next to Zelda.

All the other artwork comes from the dojo too (exception being the unconfirmed characters, but we dont know if THAT is their dojo artwork yet. It probably is.)

I dunno, as much as I would prefer a different roster, I'm starting to belive this one.

@Zinfandel, actually, that toon link trohpy doesnt deconfirm him, infact, I think it confirms him. Thats his pajama form, thats like saying Racoon mario's trophy in Melee deconfirmed Mario.

Rominati

Smash Cadet
Yea sure the leak is real.

Sakurai just made the character poll to completley ignore the people on that list and throw random perphials for the sake of it.

Sarcasm/

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Of course, with Toon Link as a trophy and both ROBs sort of appearing in Dojo updates already something is still odd.
You are a little wrong there... Toon Link isn't a trophy, but the pajamas that Toon Link wears in the beginning and in the alternate mode you unlock is a trophy. If anything, this improves Toon Link's chances since Mario and Samus already have trophies of themselves in different gear. You know, because those characters are significant enough to have extra trophies of themselves... being playable is a big bonus, too.

If I wanted the Link from Wind Waker as just a plain trophy and not a character at all, I'd put him in his 'chosen one' gear that he is most famous for, not the silly pajamas he wears! :p

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering what he was talking about. Like Card just proved (and as I always thought) the pic of sheik WAS/IS on the DOJO!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I sincerely hope that the leaked roster is fake though, I really wanted some more original characters (Isaac, Animal Crosser, Ray01, Andy/Wil, Krystal) to make it. 35 is way too low of a number.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Zevox's looooooooooonng post did it for me. I surrender and believe the 35 roster until it is proven fake. I mean, look at it:
I AM NOW QUOTING ZEVOX'S EPIC POST

" Alright, here, I'll type up a full explanation of where this roster came from.

The first piece of the roster's origins is perhaps our earliest credible leaker, NyaseNya. Shes a member here who, three days before Sonic's Dojo update, posted on our Sonic thread that she had just learned that his update had been moved from its originally intended date near the release to that Wednesday, though she didn't know why (we of course since learned this is because of the first delay). As we all know, she was proven correct. She went on to give various uninteresting tidbits of info about Brawl's development, including the semi-interesting claim that it would be on a dual-layered disk; then a little over a month later gave a leak regarding characters: she said there would be 35 characters (excluding transformations), confirmed the presence of Olimar, Toon Link ("WW" Link to most of you), Ness, and Mr Game & Watch, said that Olimar would have a pikmin-based whip-like attack, and claimed Mega Man was not in and that Ridley was most likely just a subspace boss. Needless to say, she got a lot of hateful responses to this, and Gimpy edited her post to say she was faking and locked her thread. A week or so later she came back and claimed to have learned that Brawl would be delayed again in the US, again received a lot of flaming, and hasn't been seen since. As you can see, a number of her claims have since come true (Ness, Olimar w/ Pikmin Chain, delay, most likely Mega Man is out based on the Inafune podcast).

Second is another credible leaker, ChaosZero from GameFAQs. On Halloween, he posted that Wolf, Falco, Lucario, Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Ness were in, Final Destination was back, Mewtwo was out, and gave a precise description of the Dragoon item. As we've seen, most of what he has said has since been proven true - Sheik, Lucario, and Ness have recently been revealed, the Dragoon is now well-known, Final Destination has just been either confirmed or heavily hinted at, and although it isn't technically confirmation Serebii has heavily hinted that Mewtwo being cut is true.

Third is a less-known leaker, ShadowXOR. He was a consistent poster over on ChronoBound's character analysis thread, and during the wave of false "prophets" commented that a few were either very lucky or real based on what he knew. Obviously, this prompted other posters to question him, and eventually he said that he had been told that Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, and R.O.B. were in. He didn't immediately go too public with this, since he didn't want to be flamed like all the other "prophets," but eventually someone must have convinced him to, since he mentioned this in the leak index thread and made single topic about it on GameFAQs. ChronoBound, myself, and probably a few others believe him based on what we've seen of his posts - I at least am absolutely convinced he is not the typical attention-mongering fake leaker we've seen, and if hes wrong its due to misinformation, not lying. In any event, one of his claims, Ness, has since been proven true.

Using the above three, ChronoBound compiled the 35 character roster for the first time, although he only posted it fairly deep in his own thread and didn't do anything else with other than say "if these three are right, this is our roster ."

Sometime later (I'm not sure when, but shortly before NeoGaf entered the picture I believe), another leaker showed up on GameFAQs, PortraitofRuin, who is known for leaking his namesake game. He claimed to know the full roster and the exact order on the character select screen it would appear in. By now you've all seen this, since a mock-up has been made of it, but it corresponded perfectly with ChronoBound's compilation, and seems to fit with the recently-leaked images of the starting roster as well. He also claimed Ridley, Takamaru, Krystal, and Isaac are not playable. As far as is known, he is not active on these boards, and so it is highly unlikely at best that he saw the one or two posts ChronoBound made with that compiled roster before he showed up.

Most recently (over the last weekend), we have NeoGaf enter the picture, and it is because of these guys that the roster became as prolific as it is now. MarkMan posted on one of their threads in a way that implied he had inside knowledge of the game, and when questioned was willing to admit that he knew there would be 35 characters, 41 stages, and that Sonic was "a b*tch to unlock" (his exact words). Another poster, Reno, claimed this fit with information he had as well. MarkMan went on to say that there were no unknown third-party characters, Ridley was out, Falco and Wolf were playable (and not alternate costumes), and "Wind Waker" Link was in. Reno affirmed these claims, and shortly thereafter posted a complete list of newcomers, which was essentially those they'd already mentioned plus the Dojo's, Lucario, and R.O.B. He went on to affirm Marth's presence by correcting someone's final roster compiled based on their claims, essentially confirming the same 35 character roster ChronoBound had compiled and PortraitofRuin had leaked. These two are both well-known leakers on NeoGaf who have given information about a number of games (apparently in Reno's case mostly fighting ones), and if they are wrong they will be IP-banned there, as is that forum's policy, so they stand to take a major loss (both of their credible reputation and their accounts on that forum) if they're wrong.

Interestingly, one of NeoGaf's mods, sp0rsk, stood up for them, saying "Reno is not lying." Now, most of NeoGaf's mods are members of the gaming industry, so its likely at least one of them does know whether this is true or not, which makes this significant (plus if they IP ban members spreading misinformation about upcoming games, you've got to imagine they have similar policy for mods, so this isn't something sp0rsk would do lightly).
Also interestingly, once the NeoGaf leak got out, Serebii stated that he could not deconfirm it, although he had done so for many other leaks. He did add that he thought it seemed to small, but that since he does not know the full roster, he cannot be sure if it is real. Oh, and though he did not say it outright, his post upon learning of the Lucario leak very heavily implied that the implication of Mewtwo's removal people had drawn from his past posts was true.

And thats most of what I know about this. Theres a few more tidbits associated with a couple of the leakers, mostly Nya, but little of it relevant and none of it confirmed (some of it will probably never be known if its true or not). As you can guess, I've been following this for a while, and all I've seen of it has me pretty well convinced this is the real deal. Theres just too much overlap among the leakers and too much evidence that they're credible for me to believe otherwise, not matter that I wish it weren't so.

Zevox"

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
Okay, Brawl's select screen uses pictures from the Dojo correct? Well yes, that's what it was like at the demo. But wait, in the "leaked" video, a pciture of Sheik is shown besides the Zelda icon. The pic of Sheik is not on the Dojo! Does this farther confirm the video and 35 roster rumor?
No.

A video is a video.

A 35 character roster rumor is a 35 character roster rumor.

Don't try to connect things that aren't connected.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Zevox saves the day and says it better than I could have.

A fake starting roster video leak doesn't discount every other leak. They aren't the same **** thing.

This is the exact same backlash and response to the real Melee roster that was leaked.

Believe it or not, Sakurai is freaking human. He may not do everything to make you cream yourself that you want him to do. :|

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the leaked video shows the STARTING ROSTER.
There are PLENTY more character we haven't heard from.

It does not confirm a 35 character roster, because it is not in any way related to that topic.

Zek

Smash Ace
Say what you want about how easy it is to doctor a character select screenshot, but the video is far more credible than that. Do you guys have any idea how difficult it would be to work out all the details? The Classic select screen which has never been seen before, the cursor moving over all the characters showing their profiles and fancy borders around their icons, the color scheme change after confirmation(seen in the demos), the voices, changing Pit's color, the fancy color-changing bar in the middle of the screen, and the animation of the Link screen which we had previously only seen one screenshot of. It would be a ludicrous amount of work to make a fake with that much detail. People claiming that it's a fake are in denial, plain and simple, just like the people who refused to believe ingame shots of Dr. Mario, Pichu, etc...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Zevox saves the day and says it better than I could have.

A fake starting roster video leak doesn't discount every other leak. They aren't the same **** thing.

This is the exact same backlash and response to the real Melee roster that was leaked.

Believe it or not, Sakurai is freaking human. He may not do everything to make you cream yourself that you want him to do. :|
They are relasted because PoR's leak stated the position of characters on the roster, and the video shows them in that position.

Uh, what? First of all, that is the same Sheik picture from the Dojo. It's just angled a bit. Second of all, using a different picture would falsify the rumor...

0-2, do better next time.

XACE-K

Smash Master
The video isn't real. If Sheik and Zelda are in the same box, why does it only say"Zelda" and not "Zelda/Sheik"? Also why aren't Samus and ZSS in the same box? I say the video is 100% fake.

Top Bottom