• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3 Reasons Why Reggie Fils-Aime Should NOT Be Included in the Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
TL;DR Courtesy of Equal:
Equal said:
tl;dr Reggie shouldn't be in Smash 4 because he could potentially ruin the series in multiple ways
Reggie Fils-Aime. Current CEO of Nintendo of America and Internet celebrity. Since his stellar exposure to the gaming populous during Nintendo's E3 2005 presentation, he became a viral sensation. He's all about kickin' ass, takin' names, as well as making games. He would even say he's already done that.
Recently on a segment from Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Reggie answered some Twitter question from fans. The last of which was asking him if he could be an unlockable character in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. Reggie lauded the idea, but he understands as much as we do that it's up to Sakurai's approval if he would get in or not. Soon after, a petition to get him in the game was made by fans, accumulating a milestone of 1,500 signatures and counting by this time of writing.
Amongst the overwhelming appraisal that the idea of having Reggie's ready body playable, there are other considerations about his hypothetical inclusion that worry others. My argument to this demonstrates possible scenarios from this that could potentially affect the games beyond for the worse.

1: Memetic status

His body is ready. He feels like a Purple Pikmin. He's a zombie who likes French food. Then let's roll in the hype train with Iwata and Miyamoto chugging along! Reggie's comical performances can lift the spirits in even the most drab presentations. So much so that his persona has manifested itself as an Internet meme. His quotes are recited and altered to every joke the Internet carries around as a fad. Let's face it; how many times can we hear the same old jokes over and over again until they've lost their charm? Reggie has much more dimensions than that, but without his memetic status, why would we even care so much about a possibility of his inclusion? Instead of immortalizing him in Nintendo fame, it would just tack on a bunch of recursive jokes that were felt at one point in time. Of course, this approach would be the best way to capitalize his character, so the joke character would be great. But for being the WTF addition, hasn't Sakurai included characters such as Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer that are quirky throwbacks to historical Nintendo trends present in those periods? Not to mention they've all originated from video games. This is a fundamental rule that Reggie violates four leagues down, and this prospect will be the dealbreaker for Sakurai's consideration. The wealth of joke characters doesn't falter here with two of them to be confirmed or not. His placement will be undermined by the oddball assortment already installed. Play this card too much and you'll disgruntle the fanbase. Don't get me started with Reggie's Mii; that's a cop-out. Besides, playable Miis are a whole 'nother beast to discuss.

2: Opens up doors for real life celebrities (Rise of the 5th party?)

As previous explained, Reggie's fundamental drawback could violate the upcoming roster or even ones down the line. Just imagine the absurdity (and suggestiveness) of this statement, "I've played every Nintendo game in Smash, even Reggie!" Of course, this can only take effect if he is concluded. Sakurai strictly considers all characters within the realm of the video game medium. Anything beyond 3rd parties without at least one Nintendo appearance should instantly be dashed from any hopes of consideration. Even extending to Goku or Batman would open the gates far too wide for who knows who could potentially be included. Yet alone real life people such as Reggie. Do you ever hear any sensible people speculate on celebrities? I've heard a few. All of which didn't contribute to the importance of video games. Mike Tyson in the original Punch-Out! was a special case due to his sport's and personal popularity at the time. He's a living, breathing, cognitive-thinking corporeal being who isn't bound by code to what he can do. Wasn't there a sex scandal involving him around his hayday? I think they can no longer use him or his name in the games such as Punch-Out! or the international Street Fighter II due to lawsuit fears. But given the other example, that's a fire starter for controversy with consecrating real life people. It makes me wonder about Danica Patrick in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed or Justin Bieber in NBA 2K13. I'm not saying I expect their careers to plummet. Just thinking about the nature of celebrities. Besides, where would he have a concrete establishment to base the "uniqueness" he would provide to Smash off of? Memes would be too unpredictable in nature and ideas to use from there would be selective to Sakurai. During Brawl's development, Sakurai remarks about on he on studying the games he adapts characters from, this would be a major element into creating a character. On that note, an executive tie-in like Reggie's inclusion is an idea that is pretentious to prioritize over video game mascots. It just really hurts Smash's authenticity as an all-star fighter showcasing Nintendo's finest. Given Sakurai's track record for characters, I doubt he'd go too far with this one.

3: His role to Nintendo and there business situation

Reggie's charismatic persona never hurt anybody, but why do you think he's installed on Nintendo's corporate ladder in the first place? He's first and foremost the CEO of one of Nintendo's regional branches. His role is to manage Nintendo's business and make sure all departments are running on the necessary amount of force to keep the corporation's performance fluid. None of the Big 3 are infallible to the faults of business decisions. They always have someone to go about these strategies and that someone might very well be held responsible. Some people hate the likes of Iwata and Reggie for how they go about competition, sales performance, fan satisfaction, etc. What would happen if one of them really screwed up down the line to an abysmal result for their company?
Will you be able to see past his cult of personality then? That's when having Reggie as a playable character becomes more of an effigy than a consecration. Given all the disbelief-suspending pain the characters in Super Smash Brothers have to endure, does that seem like nice wishes in our reality? Would the effect be any different to using him as my punching bag in Training Mode?

In conclusion, the people who signed the Reggie Fils-Aime for Sm4sh petition may not speculate the possible results from a myopic demonstration of support like this. Whether Sakurai considers it or not, I'm sure there are myriads of other characters decided or being explored over Reggie. There should always be a second thought before you think about supporting a cause. Even if I can't change those who agree, hopefully these arguments will at least pique why you support Reggie's inclusion.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Most Reggie nominations are troll nominations...

There's no real need for this...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There are like, 5 threads for Reggie now. (one is a double thread or something) This not counting since it's clearly against his inclusion. (as am I) And theres also a blog for him.

My body wasn't ready for this much Reggie. (please don't shoot me for making that joke)

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
I REALLY don't know why you think having Reggie in Smash 4 will open up the doors for other real world people as playable characters. I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't go that far.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I both am seriously for him, and think Nintendo would cash in on the opportunity to throw in as much "My Body is Ready" fanservice as possible.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Reggie Fils-Aime has about as much chance at being in the next roster as Stephen Colbert has becoming president.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Reggie Fils-Aime has about as much chance at being in the next roster as Stephen Colbert has becoming president.
So what you're saying is that if he goes for it, he's pretty much guaranteed to win? ¦D

Uffe

Smash Hero
It'll never happen. He'd be God tier and nobody would be able to stop him. A body that is ready stays ready. That's just how Newton's law works, man.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I wanna contribute to the thread! I'll write a tl;dr

tl;dr Reggie shouldn't be in Smash 4 because he could potentially ruin the series in multiple ways

Hmm, I don't think it takes a genius to figure that out..

I rather have Reggie than the Miis.
Sadly, I completely agree. Miis would kill the atmosphere of Smash for me.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Lots of people like him but, yes, he does not really belong in a game. We've seen how long most internet fads last (ie. not very long) and I could imagine him being annoying after a while. Most importantly, he is not actually a fictional character with a place in the universe of Nintendo games, he is an actual person in charge of the US Nintendo branch. Sure, he's from Nintendo, but in the wrong way. I never wanted him to be included, and even if I really liked him, I still would not support his placement into a Smash games roster.

Ladies and gents, this is what MUGEN is for, not Super Smash. Adding him here would be way too arbitrary and would go beyond the scope of even 3rd party.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Actually Danica Patrick was in All-Stars Racing Transformed because she funded twice the original budget to be in the game.

RATED

Smash Lord
Reggie in the game would be super silly. He's just an employee, everyone acts like he's a super gamer that came from space to give us games.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Reggie in the game would be super silly. He's just an employee, everyone acts like he's a super gamer that came from space to give us games.

Are you implying that he isn't a super gamer alien here to offer us games?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Someone took a very obvious joke too seriously.

WHAT?! EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I wanna contribute to the thread! I'll write a tl;dr

Hmm, I don't think it takes a genius to figure that out..

Sadly, I completely agree. Miis would kill the atmosphere of Smash for me.
Hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and included your tl;dr in the OP.

I REALLY don't know why you think having Reggie in Smash 4 will open up the doors for other real world people as playable characters. I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't go that far.
Maybe I should have explained that detail further. It's like if Reggie were to get in, then people would have a more legitimized reason to request someone like a celebrity in the game because it exceeded the video game rule.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I can't agree with the last part of your post, as that's not what I was thinking. However, I will say this. I believe it has to do with the fact that when Reggie first came around, "Kicking ass and taking names," a lot of people really liked him, and still like him today. I can't speak for others, but I like his charisma. He just seems like a really cool guy. Even if he's just an employee at Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom