• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5's Changes to The WolfPack

Logos

Smash Apprentice
I just played with all my friends and i stomped even harder than I normally do. The lasers are amazing yeah. his approach is a lot better

Last edited:

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
Apart from SD'ing a lot more than usual because of the Side-B change, I'm feeling wolf so much now. The new laser is great for tech chasing, they roll away? laser, follow with dash attack or grab. They roll inwards? Shine. Tech in place/getup? Down-smash/Fsmash.

Laser waveland forward is so good now, a good tip to the new lasers is they move at wolf's running speed.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
New Lasers have made me pick up this character, I might either drop Falco or keep them both but holy cow, waveland forward from Laser is now legitimate, and his approach got miles better. All those other tiny IASA adjustments mean nothing when your laser is like this now.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
So for the people who put in the few hours they had playing 3.5; Who do you think our good and bad match ups are?

I find Falco do be one of out hardest still, Marth is pretty hard but that might just be me.
We still can combo floaties and heavy weights (Bowser, DK, CF) pretty well. Rob is also pretty easy IMO but i havent faced any good ones recently so idk.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Fox and falco are right now I think the only ones we lose. I think we go win to various degrees vs Bowser, Roy, DDD, Zelda, ICs, diddy, Puff, link, tink, ganon, snake, luigi, peach, lucario, pika, kirby, and ZSS. The rest are even imo, or even enough for it to not matter and fluctuate more on stage and play style. We might still lose to marth, ivy, mk and pit m2, but they are a lot better than before (remember we can actually CC pit/m2 this time around)

I'm labbing right now, considering making a new thread to just start fresh on the metagame descussion

Logos

Smash Apprentice
The only matchup I have a REALLY hard time against is Mewtwo (idk about 3.5) and Falco. But, no Falco's here are good enough to give me trouble. I kind of have a pocket Sonic for cheese against falco tho lol

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
While wolf doesn't have anything new, debug mode makes finding things so much easier.

Try doing for shield pressure shine >fh dair> falling nair> shine on taller characters. It's tight because dair has no IASA frames, but the timing isn't too strict.

Would you guys like it if I started making wolf challenges and trials?

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
While wolf doesn't have anything new, debug mode makes finding things so much easier.

Try doing for shield pressure shine >fh dair> falling nair> shine on taller characters. It's tight because dair has no IASA frames, but the timing isn't too strict.

Would you guys like it if I started making wolf challenges and trials?
Seriously nothing would make me happier. I find that my only issues with my wolf is that I don't have 100% control with my tech, my play style is can be very technical but can be very gutsy at the same time with makes me SD a lot, and these might help me out immensely. I wanna learn some control. (anyone know a good way to work on tech reads by yourself?)

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Tech reads, just practice movement and stuff, it's hard to do it by yourself. Try lvl 1 cups and just react

For now, first semi trial will be to do shine> fh dair> falling nair > shine on shields or in place. Not very hard, but the timing is good to get down.

I'll think of some stuff tonight at our weekly

Tero.

Smash Champion
I'll be back joining the Wolfpack now in 3.5.
To be quite honest I wasn't really impressed with most Wolf Videos I saw from 3.0. Silent Wolf was the only Wolf player I saw who used Wolfs combo potential. Even tho I stopped playing Wolf near the end of 3.0 I found out quite a bit of Wolf stuff in the lab. Will be glad to share it with you guys after I have a few days of intensive 3.5 practice.

Only problem is right now I'm also playing Diddy, Ike, Samus and MK.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
I'll be back joining the Wolfpack now in 3.5.
To be quite honest I wasn't really impressed with most Wolf Videos I saw from 3.0. Silent Wolf was the only Wolf player I saw who used Wolfs combo potential. Even tho I stopped playing Wolf near the end of 3.0 I found out quite a bit of Wolf stuff in the lab. Will be glad to share it with you guys after I have a few days of intensive 3.5 practice.

Only problem is right now I'm also playing Diddy, Ike, Samus and MK.
Welcome back Brother.
Yeah Ike gave me some trouble too. he just has a lot of range and can zone in on us really quick. But he is at a good combo weight for us.

Last edited:

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
Welcome back Brother.
Yeah Ike gave me some trouble to. he just has a lot of range and can zone in on us really quick. But he is at a good combo weight for us.
Ike can be hard to fight as he hits so hard, I do find that side-b combo's are very strong against his weight and size. New lasers shut down his QD well and after that just try not to get hit by the insane 180 degree Ike Fair. He is easier to edge guard now and wolf has quite the strong edge game.

Wolf's sourspot Fair is a great combo option vs Ike, they string into each other and lead into Bair or even Dair if its a platform combo.

Vyrulent

Smash Rookie
Wolf still feels just as good, if not better. New lasers are amazing for approaches. Laser waveland forward is great. If they shield the laser you can usually get a grab, if the laser hits you can nair > shine or grab. I found myself being able to hit 2 lasers on airborne targets into Fmash. Not sure if it was just bad DI or what, but it seemed to work multiple times.

Side B nerf seems to have no impact on me. I usually just did up b to return to stage anyways.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Side B nerf seems to have no impact on me. I usually just did up b to return to stage anyways.
Hmm...guess it was only me that went deep for sideB's...

Last edited:

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think there will be an influx of wolf players in 3.5? He's a very popular secondary and with the nerf wave many players are likely to change character. He slid his way up the tier list too and will be getting some more attention as a result.

Also he's wolf, like, seriously how does anyone play any other character apart from him and CF?

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Do you guys think there will be an influx of wolf players in 3.5? He's a very popular secondary and with the nerf wave many players are likely to change character. He slid his way up the tier list too and will be getting some more attention as a result.

Also he's wolf, like, seriously how does anyone play any other character apart from him and CF?
TBH I never understood why there were barely any Wolf players. He (imo) the most hype character in the game, his combos are super mega ultra sexy, Only reason why I guess people wouldn't play him is because of his weight and his recovery. But on the other hand I like being the only Wolf main when I go to tournaments, no one expects me to be good. We're like the sexy outcast spacie. Everyone knows we can be good but the assume we're not as good as Fox and Falco.

TL;DR: IF YOU DIDN'T LOVE WOLFY IN 3.0 YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US! >:O

Last edited:

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
I always found that if I was going for deep side Bs I generally don't have a double jump anyways. What setups do you use for deep side B's?
Idk if anyone does this but me but ive never seen anyone do it and it insanely flashy and equally as dangerous.

Shine>FH Bair>SideB

I cannot express how boss you'll look while doing this in one fluent motion. I've gotten many 'WFT's' and 'Well S**t's' its a show stopper. BUT THIS IS SO DANGEROUS MY GOD DON'T MISS YOU WILL DIE IF YOU'RE NEAR THE EDGE!

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
Idk if anyone does this but me but ive never seen anyone do it and it insanely flashy and equally as dangerous.

Shine>FH Bair>SideB

I cannot express how boss you'll look while doing this in one fluent motion. I've gotten many 'WFT's' and 'Well S**t's' its a show stopper. BUT THIS IS SO DANGEROUS MY GOD DON'T MISS YOU WILL DIE IF YOU'RE NEAR THE EDGE!
Would love to see this in action.

One of my favourites is when you go deep for the side-B and would have missed but they jumped into it. Then there like "sick read!".

Yh I totally read that...

Last edited:

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Would love to see this in action.

One of my favourites is when you go deep for the side-B and would have missed but they jumped into it. Then there like "sick read!".
Yh I totally read that...
I'll make a video today on a com.
haha i love when people assume i read things and I'm like "...Yeah man I can see the future." lmao i just guess half the time that I won't kill myself. The BEST is when you get an insane setup and get a shorten *shivers* feels so good!

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Bair> side b is similar to falcons bair> knee, it combos them if they have good survival DI. Its really good.

But yeah I ****ing love wolf, I think people didn't play him last patch because why would you? Like why play a real spacie when you could play lucas, and do everything just as good while recovering better

Probably going to play more Gnw until my wolf gets better though. He is a spacie, needs a lot of time into him

Last edited:

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
He is a spacie, needs a lot of time into him
This is true, I rarely play my secondaries because Wolf needs so much time to be really effective and not kill yourself.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Bair> side b is similar to falcons bair> knee, it combos them if they have good survival DI. Its really good.

But yeah I ****ing love wolf, I think people didn't play him last patch because why would you? Like why play a real spacie when you could play lucas, and do everything just as good while recovering better

Probably going to play more Gnw until my wolf gets better though. He is a spacie, needs a lot of time into him
GnW secondary H Y P E

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
We need a new costume tier list to adjust for the 3.5 alt metagame
Personally default blue wolf is still my favourite, but white wolf and blue pirate wolf are at least top tier. I understand that it is too early in the development of 3.5 so this tier list doesn't mean much and is subject to change.

S(ubjective)-tier: blue Wolf

Chillin tier: black wolf

High tier: red, and white Wolf, plus blue, and black pirate Wolf

Mid tier: default, and green wolf

Gross tier: yellow legs pirate wolf, and brown pirate wolf, I would say these costumes need buffs but he has enough viable costumes that it's not a big deal.

Overall he got buffed, his 3.02 alt choice had terrible matchups versus characters like DK, Luigi, Ness, and the other spacies.

Last edited:

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys,

Never had an active Account on SB but figured id make one.
I personally already thought wolf was amazing so this build should be really good for us wolf mains.

I played in two tournaments this past weekend Smash or Die getting 3rd losing to k9(MK) and IPK(lucario) in fullerton and our bi weekly SSS placing 2nd in teams with Jwest and 5th in singles losing to k9 in both winners and losers.

Looking forward to this patch. Pretty sure we dont have many if any bad MUs. Playing Larry (DEHF) / rcizzles falco with the new lasers feels like that MU is now EVEN.

Super excited to see what i can bring to the table as far as progression for the character but ill try my best.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
We need a new costume tier list to adjust for the 3.5 alt metagame
Personally default blue wolf is still my favourite, but white wolf and blue pirate wolf are at least top tier. I understand that it is too early in the development of 3.5 so this tier list doesn't mean much and is subject to change.

S(ubjective)-tier: blue Wolf

Chillin tier: black wolf

High tier: red, and white Wolf, plus blue, and black pirate Wolf

Mid tier: default, and green wolf

Gross tier: yellow legs pirate wolf, and brown pirate wolf, I would say these costumes need buffs but he has enough viable costumes that it's not a big deal.

Overall he got buffed, his 3.02 alt choice had terrible matchups versus characters like DK, Luigi, Ness, and the other spacies.
What do you mean brown pirate Wolf? The Brown one with the red shirt?! i like that one now since everyone used the Red Wolf and i like being different. but original red space wolf is the best IMO.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Sup guys,

I personally already thought wolf was amazing so this build should be really good for us wolf mains.

I played in two tournaments this past weekend Smash or Die getting 3rd losing to k9(MK) and IPK(lucario) in fullerton and our bi weekly SSS placing 2nd in teams with Jwest and 5th in singles losing to k9 in both winners and losers.

Looking forward to this patch. Pretty sure we dont have many if any bad MUs. Playing Larry (DEHF) / rcizzles falco with the new lasers feels like that MU is now EVEN.

Super excited to see what i can bring to the table as far as progression for the character but ill try my best.
Welcome to the WolfPack

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Sup guys,

I was going to tell Dojo to tell you to make an account but you already did it
You should get into the skype group, its more active than the boards. Forgot who runs it though.

Neon is maining wolf this patch, can't wait to watch that rematch lol.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Im really sorry about the quality cuz idk how to make actaul videos but heres me doing the Shine>Bair>SideB (I feel like i should name this combo)
http://youtu.be/XSqJ6ycgYNw
http://youtu.be/IHj3RBRKxzI
I was going to tell Dojo to tell you to make an account but you already did it
You should get into the skype group, its more active than the boards. Forgot who runs it though.

Neon is maining wolf this patch, can't wait to watch that rematch lol.
I should proabably get on that too..

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
THanks guys.
Personally i prefer the new (red) pirate wolf and am going to be using that one.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Neons wolf now thats toooo cute <3

im down for the skype group - hairynipz411 (jake hefner)

Ill prolly be putting 2 hours a day into the lab for wolf.

Top Bottom