• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5's Changes to The WolfPack

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Just making a new thread on what you guys think will be changed to Wolf in 3.5 if any? Maybe a non CC-able shine? Some nerfs to his amazing aerials? (I pray there are no nerfs) But if anything, I wanna hear what you guys thing should or shouldn't be changed with the commander of StarWolf.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
There has been talk that you no longer get a jump after a sweet spot flash. You can act out of it, but you don't gain a jump.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
There has been talk that you no longer get a jump after a sweet spot flash. You can act out of it, but you don't gain a jump.
Hmm... that would be significant when going deep for them..

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Hey, is Rat part of the PMDT?

Kitanamonk

Smash Cadet
You don't gain a jump when sweet-spotting but you do keep your jump if you had one before, does that mean you would lose the jump when hitting the side-B in 3.5?

That would be the most pointless nerf ever.

Boiko

:drshrug:
You don't gain a jump when sweet-spotting but you do keep your jump if you had one before, does that mean you would lose the jump when hitting the side-B in 3.5?

That would be the most pointless nerf ever.
Probably not, doesn't make much sense.
IMO, Wolf is one of the best designed characters in the game, needing no significant changes to his arsenal. I don't think he's top tier (probably closer to high/upper), because he's easy to combo and has a weak recorvery. But he has great combos and stage control and he's tons of fun to play. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have many changes at all.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
the only things that i can see them doing are slightly shortening the reach on his dash attack and maybe his fsmash. atm those two moves are kinda beast.. especially when wolf has such a number of set ups, i can see them just slightly toning those down for range purposes. everything else about him is very well designed and balanced, including his recovery. he remains one of the strongest characters in the game IMO but not though broken attributes.

Ouroboro

Smash Cadet
just recently picking up a bit of wolf, I don't really see a great reason to nerf anything, and nothing really needs to be buffed. He just seems solidly balanced. TBH, If they did change anything, It'd almost seem like a "Just because."

choodles

Smash Rookie
Here's the changelist for Wolf, found on Project M's website:

Wolf Changelist
Smashes
-Forward Smash IASA increased from 46 to 48.
-Up Smash IASA increased from 44 to 48
-Aerials
-Neutral Aerial initial hit damage increased by one. Landing hit decreased by one. Damage and knockback compensated.
-Up Aerial tail hitbox has been removed.

Specials
-Neutral Special (Blaster)
--Innermost bayonet hitbox removed. Other hitboxes moved closer in.
--Fire speed increased from 1.0 to 1.8.
--Blaster life decreased from 63 to 43 frames.
-Side Special (Wolf Flash)
--Now consumes double jump when used.
-Up Special (Fire Wolf)
--Startup increased by 5 frames. Startup now 30 frames (hitboxes active on frames 28-30) from 25 frames (hitboxes active frames 23-25). Startup gravity changed so Wolf does not sink further than he should in windup.

Others
-Dash Attack IASA increased from 35 to 38. Hits on frames 11 to 15, from 11 to 16. Outer hitbox size reduced. BKB decreased from 65 to 45, KBG increased from 70 to 100.
-Final Smash (Landmaster)
--Fixed bug where Landmaster warped in air.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Nothing will affect his gameplay too significantly. But we're gonna have A LOT more lasers.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
What? No DJ after it? Who cares?
You shouldn't be going that far off stage with side anyway.
You're not my dad you cant tell me what to do.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
These were like actually almost the exact nerfs I wrote down and predicted
I hit him harder lol

Jank got removed, character still super solid
nair is probably -1 on shield now, that's still fine

choodles

Smash Rookie
I'm having a lot of fun with the faster lasers. Makes Wolf a little less campy too (not that he really was in the first place, but it's still nice.)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Faster lasers are definitely worse as a projectile, but its not a nerf so much as it is a play style change. Its arguably a buff

Still really good, just make wolf's approaches more "ima force myself in" than it is slower setups to approach

Tero.

Smash Champion
****ing side b removes your jump.
WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING?!

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
What
why is this even a problem, I don't understand

Super easy dacus is godlike

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
It's not a nerf though
like needing my double jump to recover after side b has never been a problem for me. Just set up your combos better lol, land side b closer to the ledge, you don't have to be off stage to kill

Logos

Smash Apprentice
It is a nerf. Because you cant do as much as you could before. The character change limiting what you could previously do, textbook nerf.

Not to mention the lasers, nair, upsmash, fsmash, dash attack and up b.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
IASA frames getting raised literally only makes unsafe moves even more unsafe.

Blaster is a buff

Side b change is negligible

Nair is -1 instead of +0 on shield, not even a change

Uair is just a hit box fix, it removes the hitbox below you which doesn't change anything

Up b 5 frames of charge is barely a change, again not worth mentioning

Better blasters>>> changes that don't matter at all.

Wolf got buffed.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It is a nerf. Because you cant do as much as you could before. The character change limiting what you could previously do, textbook nerf.

Not to mention the lasers, nair, upsmash, fsmash, dash attack and up b.
Buddy, as Ike the range and cooldown on my B&B combo move got burned and characters that already ROFLSTOMP my recovery now ROFLSTOMP my recovery harder with Ganon knockback. I lost a walljump that I can actually use without risk of SD'ing and that only helps me. And I barely registered the damn changes as a slap on the wrist.

Saying the side-B nerf is a slap on the wrist is giving it too much credit. It's like someone chomping on some garlic and then licking your wrist to make you slightly uncomfortable.

I think you Wolf mains will survive somehow.

(And if anyone besides 1FD who doesn't even play Wolf non-locally actually gets consistent Flash kills that deep offstage I'd like to know.)

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
All I'm saying is that I for one, loved going deep for those sideB's not having the second jump is kinda hard now and really limits my kill potential.
On the other hand, wolf has a great kit of other moves we can use and that don't risk our entire stock to use it. We CAN work around this...........but I don't want to....I will..but I don't want to. (I swear 75% of my kills were sideB's)

Blaster change is "meh" to me I like and don't like it good for pressure/ a little worse for setups.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Faster lasers are definitely worse as a projectile, but its not a nerf so much as it is a play style change. Its arguably a buff

Still really good, just make wolf's approaches more "ima force myself in" than it is slower setups to approach
Yeah I'm confused on this myself. The slower set-ups were cool too.

Last edited:

Sail

Smash Cadet
Is anyone else sad because they learned to DACUS without remapping controllers and now it's easy af? Biggest nerf imo, is that it's now harder to keep the scrubs away from our character. Kappa

choodles

Smash Rookie
Now that I've thought about it some, there are pretty much zero issues with the double jump loss from flash. The only thing it could be a concern over would be offstage kills with flash, but you don't go into helpless fall if you hit the opponent. You can still Up-B to get back onstage. Sure, it'll be harder to do, but if you're playing Wolf there's plenty of tech that's harder than this.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
After playing 3.5 for the last 18 hours or so, I'm going to say wolf got buffed super hard. New blaster is just amazing and fills in the only hole Wolf had in his neutral game.

He is so good, without a doubt going to be top tier.

Top Bottom