• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Downthrow options and %s

Idostuff

Smash Apprentice
Lets talk about Links new throw setups. How can I kill out of down throw now? before it was dthrow into dair for most of the cast at higher %, and up B for spacies. Things are a bit different now, so what works on floaties, mid speeds, fast fallers, and spacies?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
It's mostly the same to be honest with you. It feels similar. Due to down throw now sending opponents into to tumble, they have to DI accordingly before being thrown. If they don't they have to wiggle to try and get out of tumble because they're stuck in position making it easier for Link to get those bread and butter KOs. Mess around with debug mode and learn the air tight combos Link can do. I've found that jab1>jab2>grab>down throw>down smash>fair at mid percents works like a charm on fast fallers.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I've noticed grounded up-b out of down-throw seems to work on a lot of characters. I might be wrong though, I haven't really used Link in 3.5 against competent players yet, but down-throw up-b seems to be the most consistent out-of-grab combo to land, with the exception of maybe floaties and spacies.

My guess is uair would work instead on floaties, and up-throw would probably be the better throw on high-percent spacies.

Someone who actually plays this character should probably correct me on this so that I'm not spouting lies.

Idostuff

Smash Apprentice
After some time in the lab here is what i have found:
Floaties:
0%~40%: up throw > stuff
~50% dthrow> stuff, up B will hit but won't kill
~100% dthrow> dair for the kill
Fast Fallers:
0% up throw> dsmash if they miss the tech
~20% up throw > stuff
~75% up throw > dair, might kill depending on stage and hitbox, will set up for a followup/ edgeguard
~100%+ dthrow > up B

ill get back to do some test on mid teirs

Last edited:
Top Bottom