• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3.5 Aquajet discussion

Gryvvin

Smash Rookie
In an attempt to move this turtle team in a direction that actually improves our understanding I thought I'd set up a thread to allow people to discuss what sorts of set ups and interesting properties we've all figured out about this new Aquajet (hereby referred to as AJ), namely it's set ups, kill power and any other little tricks you can pull off. I might as well start of with some simple setups

The Good:

Uthrow; It's simple, effective and I *think* you can pretty much land it on reaction to any DI, works at most percents and weights.
Utilt; ditto Uthrow on pretty much every point,with the added reminder you can usually land 2 before you AJ
Dsmash; Certainly less consistent than the above but it's potentially easier to set up for and achieves largely the same result.
Uair; A very powerful kill option though it will stop working after a certain percent, making the window of opportunity you get to actually kill like this fairly small.
Dtilt; This one looks to be DI dependent so I wouldn't go into the move looking to follow up with AJ, but if you opponent sets you up for it then it's an easy thing to land on reaction.
Ftilt; Ditto Dtilt

The Bad:

Shell Shift; It follows through so perfectly and looks like a match made in heaven... but the reality is USmash kills earlier, deals more damage and probably combos easier at lower percents too. Unless I'm missing something I see no reason to use it over Hydroplane Usmash.
Crawl Attack; Same rules apply here as for SS but with the added problem that it's a lot harder to land, it is fairly consistent once you can do it but I see no reason to use it over Usmash here, just do Crawl attack -> Utilt -> AJ here instead.
SideB; this don't usually link together properly unless your at below kill percent, in which case there are better followups, Withdraw -> Uair -> AJ is legit though.

The Ballsy:

reverse Uair; Reverse your Uair so as to hit with the sourspot at the back and you've set yourself up for an AJ finisher, works at all realistic percents.
Deep edge guard; Ok, this one is purely for style points and probably loses to bubble as an edgeguard option in every single way but... the endlag of AJ still has a ledge grab box, it sends your opponent at a terrible trajectory for edgeguarding but on certain stages with certain DI your poor enemy might stage spike himself in surprise.

Please correct me on any errors you find with my reasoning.

Last edited:

jaedong

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of this thread, although I hesitate to contribute until I've had some time in the lab workin on the new toys my brain are tinkering with.

But I do applaud you for moving us in the right direction.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
On your point of the usefulness can anyone give a reason on why it'd be better than a usmash rhus, etc? It's a lot harder to pull off, riskier and seems to kill later than usmash so it seems kind of pointless. I could sort of get over the aquajet change, though disheartening still, if it was actually useful.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
On your point of the usefulness can anyone give a reason on why it'd be better than a usmash rhus, etc? It's a lot harder to pull off, riskier and seems to kill later than usmash so it seems kind of pointless. I could sort of get over the aquajet change, though disheartening still, if it was actually useful.
It's actually extremely useful. On the windycitysmash twitch channel Zwarm demonstrated several setups into Aqua Jet

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
It's actually extremely useful. On the windycitysmash twitch channel Zwarm demonstrated several setups into Aqua Jet
Alright I just finished watching what Zwarm showed, I think the biggest use it can get is when you're already in the air, I would still definitely say it's a pretty big nerf but at least it isn't removed entire I guess?

MrAzureKun

Smash Cadet
Can we get a link to the Zwarm stream please?
I can't seem to find the old one.

Hazm@

Smash Rookie
people have been saying it's like landing a rest on your opponent, but after trying it out some against cpu, it seems not nearly as powerful, and I've even managed to kill myself a few times from the helpless fall afterward. Seems more like a mixup attack/finisher, only something you can do occasionally. I guess down air combos into it or something

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
people have been saying it's like landing a rest on your opponent, but after trying it out some against cpu, it seems not nearly as powerful, and I've even managed to kill myself a few times from the helpless fall afterward. Seems more like a mixup attack/finisher, only something you can do occasionally. I guess down air combos into it or something
By "similar to rest" they mean that it's a finishing move in which you have to be inside your opponent's hitbox for it to work. Obviously it's not as powerful as rest; only rest is as powerful as rest.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
d-smash to aquajet is my favorite setup. If you hydroplane D-smash it's really easy to get.

Top Bottom