• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2nd Place at a Tournament with Diddy

Jtails

Smash Lord
Hey guys! Some of you may know me, and some of you don't as a Diddy/MK main from Brawl.

I just saw the post regarding Suinoko's Win in Japan going all Diddy, so I figured I could also post and show off my fairly new Diddy Kong and some tournament matches.

Initially upon trying Diddy, I didn't like him too much. Then I ran into Leffen on for glory mode, and got inspired to pick him up! Here's what I was able to do after putting some time into him.

My Diddy/Ness vs RekRP Robin (Loser's Quarters)
http://youtu.be/9GxpHRflzFI

My Diddy vs Nairo Zelda/Robin (Loser's Semis)
http://youtu.be/5RVmB72U_Hg

My Diddy vs Zucco Megaman/Ness/Lucario (Loser's Finals)
http://youtu.be/VZIqCEYqXD0

Hopefully this can provide some match up insight, and if you'd like to critique my play, please feel free! Thanks again guys.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Besides the stuff that I think is just because of getting used to the new game + 3DS controls, I think you can more liberal using side-b when you're around the center stage. Side-b is easily edge cancellable in this game so it's not as big of a risk as crashing into the stage with it, though you give away stage control if you miss, but it's a mixup that I didn't see much. If you grab attack with a side-b, you should be using something else to land from it with. Suinoko was using FF nair which is less laggy than an air dodge or crash landing into the ground. I can't test since I don't have the full game and have only played it via friends, but maybe if Dair can still auto cancel (like brawl did if you landed before htibox came out). Maybe a bair FFed ends fast enough so we don't get any aerial lag. Another thought is on BF you could probably edge cancel an air dodge off the platforms, but I don't know how situational would be. Uair OoS is really good since I think it still comes out frame 3 or around there, it has kill potential. It can also be used to hit people from a banana toss (JCT) if you think it will kill. Try using b reverse banana plucks for landing and for getting the banana out. (it can be hard on circle pad though). Also, just getting better with up-b in general. They're a lot harder to control, but they're a lot better IMO. You have a lot of angles you can recover from now. I saw one time you get out of them with elwind, but you could have recovered if you went up or even a bit away then held in toward the stage.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Besides the stuff that I think is just because of getting used to the new game + 3DS controls, I think you can more liberal using side-b when you're around the center stage. Side-b is easily edge cancellable in this game so it's not as big of a risk as crashing into the stage with it, though you give away stage control if you miss, but it's a mixup that I didn't see much. If you grab attack with a side-b, you should be using something else to land from it with. Suinoko was using FF nair which is less laggy than an air dodge or crash landing into the ground. I can't test since I don't have the full game and have only played it via friends, but maybe if Dair can still auto cancel (like brawl did if you landed before htibox came out). Maybe a bair FFed ends fast enough so we don't get any aerial lag. Another thought is on BF you could probably edge cancel an air dodge off the platforms, but I don't know how situational would be. Uair OoS is really good since I think it still comes out frame 3 or around there, it has kill potential. It can also be used to hit people from a banana toss (JCT) if you think it will kill. Try using b reverse banana plucks for landing and for getting the banana out. (it can be hard on circle pad though). Also, just getting better with up-b in general. They're a lot harder to control, but they're a lot better IMO. You have a lot of angles you can recover from now. I saw one time you get out of them with elwind, but you could have recovered if you went up or even a bit away then held in toward the stage.
Thanks for all this stuff, Yeah since that tournament I've been in training mode a lot with Diddy, definitely using FF nair after side b hits. Dair still does auto cancel into the ground before the animation comes out, but I like the coverage and juggle potential that nair can set up.

This event was basically my Day 2 diddy. since I thought he was bad initially, I wasn't using him much at all. I play with tap jump off, so I really have to condition my hands to do OOS options on the 3ds using X button. I like the suggestions for covering my landings by bsticking banana pulls, and edge cancelling side b on the platforms. You can expect to see some nice new tricks at the next event I enter, hopefully one happens soon!

DFEAR

Smash Hero
JTAILS MAN WASUP havent seen you since ktar 2011 :] whats good man! missed ya :3

im doing really well at my locals with diddy as well, i need to upload my matches and show u guys how smash4 diddy is actually better than brawl diddy.

anyway evaluating your NY/NJ matches. I really mainly watched your set with nairo, since ya know nairo rofl.

you couldve easily recovered first stock/third stock of match 1 and 1st stock of match 3 (u cant no charge upb with diddy anymore it goes absolutely NOWHERE), but i forgive you because of day 2 johns and diddy's upb has so much control. i also see a lot of habit back rolls when you see the slightest pressure from your opponents, stahp ._.. these commentators are also whack man, they kept saying the bananas in this game will be used more aggressively when in fact they should be used to control the stage and create positive situations for diddy like the way you were doing. when in doubt, banana in front and peanut is still an OP tactic LOL.

i really like your dthrow/combo game tho. however, i really really disliked how you obviously conditioned your opponent to shield and to airdodge often, but did not grab/sideb/general punish enough. lots of wasted early damage/mixup/kills there. you kick sooooo much GRAB IS OP MAN IT PUMMELS NOW.

i did like your movement throughout the match, it showed you had good control over the 3ds pad and general smash psychology. :3

i also see you airdodging to the ground at times (i understand you're doing this cuz of brawl's OP airdodge). try to instead use ff fair/nair they recover INSTANTLY and create amazing setups which will benefit your crazy combo game. its very awkward getting used to this.

your on stage plucking game needs work, but your edgeguard plucks are neat. you plucked at very awkward times on stage. a lot of times you sat there analyzing what your opponent might do with majority of those moments standing still when you could be getting a naner out or moving to create "pressure". just keep moving, create control with your movement and pluck them nanners boy.

great matches man and gratz! cant wait to see you again.

ps: some secret tech from dfear:
when you upthrow you can steal stocks if they dont vector/di and you can kill your opponents with dj upair at around 70-90% with a bit of rage. ****s a ****ing melee fox upgrab combo haha. should help get those early kills

this was my fav match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Two2OxrrTjs
i also wanna note in this match at 4:25-4:27 you created a falco-esque checkmate with just upair, that should be abused soooo much more

Last edited:

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Diddy a lot since release and won a local tournament with him the other day. I like the way you use aerial attacks to pick up nanas while attacking at the same time, but often you don't space Fair well enough and get punished with a grab. You use up throw and forward throw a few times in the match vs Donkey Kong? Back throw does 3% more and throws further, but I'm sure you know this now. When you land a short hop FF nana throw and go in for a grab, when your opponent is above about 90%, you won't be able to get the Uair follow up out of down throw anymore if they're vectoring properly, so it's probably better to forward smash out of dash instead or if not, just back throw for the extra damage.

Top Bottom