• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2nd NH Teen Institute benefit SSBB/M tournament @ Holo-Dek - Kittery, ME - May 16th

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet

What:​
It's another singles and doubles Brawl tournament to raise money for the New Hampshire Teen Institute hosted by the all mighty Holo-Dek gaming theater

What's Different From Last Time:​

- Free energy drinks!
- A possible free Melee tournament for some prizes TBA later (maybe a pizza, or other things from holo-dek
- Doubles will only be 10$ (20$ a team) this time around.
- More Wiis with everything unlocked.
- We will be attempting to separate players by location in the bracket OR just do seeding with pool play
- it will NOT be during COT4 hehe
+ other stuff that may be different that hasn't been determined yet.

I would like to emphasize that the admission to the tournament includes an all day pass to Holo-Dek. Which means after your knocked out of the tournament, you can stick around and play any one of their large selection of games that they have available.

What? Melee?:​

Yes. We're holding a free Melee singles tournament as well. The prizes may include a pizza from holo-dek, or batting cage time, or free time at holo-dek. TBA
If you are interested in playing please bring your copy of Melee, and memory card so we can make this possible. :-)

Where:​

The Holo-Dek gaming theater in Kittery, ME has once again let us use their amazing facility for this event. This rocks. Holo-Dek features many HD projectors, 6 Wii consoles, tons of other consoles, private suites complete with larger HD projectors, a couch and surround sound. Also available are high performance computers connected for LAN play.
So if your out of the tournament early, you can still spend all the time you want there playing whatever games you want.

- Address:
HoloDek Gaming Center
506 US Rte. 1
Kittery ME, 03904
(207) 439-4275
www.holo-dek.com

This is only an hour or so north of Boston!

When:

May 16th, 2009 (It's a Saturday)
2pm (Doors at noon)

How much?​
A normal all day pass for Holo-Dek is 25$
But for this tournament, an all day pass will only cost 10$

If you attended last tournament the all day pass will only be 5$!!

Then it is 15$ to enter the singles tournament with $5 of that going to the NH Teen Institute, and $10 going to the winners fund

Doubles - 10$ a person (20$ a team)

Prizes:​
As noted above, the prize is going to be a cash prize divided between the top three players (60/30/10).
The total purse is going to be whatever $10 x number of contestants Again, it is definitely going to be more than just Smash Boards and AiB people coming.

Rules:​
(They're just the Smash boards rules)

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages:

Starter:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter:
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Corneria

Banned:
Green Hill Zone
Pictochat
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

The semi-final and championship sets will be in a best of 5 format.

Life stealing is allowed for doubles, and team attack must be "on".

People who've RSVP'd:​
On either AiB or here:

Dazwa
Armus
Darc
Starfox Sonic 6
JJ Wolf
Myself
Statfreak 28
Zero
Loki
Cambriel
Cambriel's friend
Cambriel's friend
Honorguru
Bobbery
Mr. Demolisher
As well as some local people that I know (5 or 6 more people)

About me:​
My name is Irving Gadoury, and I am the regional coordinator for the NH Teen Institute. I've been playing Brawl mostly on GameBattles since the Spring '08 ladder, and I only recently started playing on AiB under the name "Making_Waves" This is the second tournament I've organized and any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I am very familiar with the rules and procedure though, so don't worry about that.

About the NH Teen Institute:​
Since 1983, NH Teen Institute (TI) has offered comprehensive, dynamic, leadership training programs to help thousands of middle and high school students by providing safe, affirming, informative experiences that help them build character, camaraderie, a support network, and lives that are free of dependence on alcohol and other drugs.
www.nhteeninstiute.org

Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions!

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Last tournament had some good competition with 20 contestants, so this should be quite a brawl! Returning players will get a 1/2 price all day pass voucher for their next visit!

So Fatal

Smash Master
Sure the normal price for an all day pass is 25 but were not coming to play other games.

25$ just to get into singles is insane. Make the 5$ price available to everyone and you will see attendance increase alot

also lol at big cash prizes.. the cash prizes only depend on the amount of people go. if only 10 show up then where would the big cash prizes be at?

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Sure the normal price for an all day pass is 25 but were not coming to play other games.

25$ just to get into singles is insane. Make the 5$ price available to everyone and you will see attendance increase alot

also lol at big cash prizes.. the cash prizes only depend on the amount of people go. if only 10 show up then where would the big cash prizes be at?
I see where you are coming from. The $10 door fee gets you the all day pass so players can brawl outside of their tournament games, and after the tournament. It also gives players the freedom to play on any of our other systems w/o having to pay for time ($6/hr is the going rate)

I'll look into having a $5 door fee option strictly for brawl play. We could also drop the singles tourney entrance fee down to $10, but with $5 going to NH Teen that only leaves $5 per player into the prize pool as opposed to $10. It was my belief that players wanted a higher prize pool.

The tournament is more than a month out so stay tuned/voice your opinion and we may change the pricing structure.

So Fatal

Smash Master
I see where you are coming from. The $10 door fee gets you the all day pass so players can brawl outside of their tournament games, and after the tournament. It also gives players the freedom to play on any of our other systems w/o having to pay for time ($6/hr is the going rate)

I'll look into having a $5 door fee option strictly for brawl play. We could also drop the singles tourney entrance fee down to $10, but with $5 going to NH Teen that only leaves $5 per player into the prize pool as opposed to $10. It was my belief that players wanted a higher prize pool.

The tournament is more than a month out so stay tuned/voice your opinion and we may change the pricing structure.
Singles needs to stay at 15. The door fee should only be 5$ were only coming for brawl...:dizzy:

can't you guys just hold a non sponsorship tournament????

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Singles needs to stay at 15. The door fee should only be 5$ were only coming for brawl...:dizzy:

can't you guys just hold a non sponsorship tournament????
Certainly. I'd like to hold a monthly brawl on a set friday or saturday of every month, which would be very low cost to play in. I will most likely have an advertisement for that at the May 16th event.

Also, I'll try to work out a $5 brawl only pass for the day :D

So Fatal

Smash Master
Certainly. I'd like to hold a monthly brawl on a set friday or saturday of every month, which would be very low cost to play in. I will most likely have an advertisement for that at the May 16th event.

Also, I'll try to work out a $5 brawl only pass for the day :D
if Holo-dek is really trying to raise money for this organization, they woudlnt even charge a fee as big as 10$.. it would be the smartest thing to change it to 5$ or nothing at all. people see 25$ to enter singles and say screw that. :(

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
By the way, anyone who went last time there's some pictures from the last one up on Holo-Dek's facebook.

Also some players that have RSVP'd are

Dazwa
Armus
Darc
Starfox Sonic 6
JJ Wolf
Myself
Statfreak 28
Zero
Loki
Cambriel
Cambriel's friend
Cambriel's friend
As well as some of my friends

statfreak28

Smash Rookie
I've definitely got to agree with Fatal, I know a lot of TOs and it honestly seems like Holo-Dek cares more about making sure they get enough money than the us the players and the organization.
More money = less people. Or at the very least unhappy players

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Either way, we are still very grateful for them allowing us to use their facilities.

It'll be a lot of fun like last time thanks to them :-)

Armus

Smash Cadet
If I go (chances are very good), I'll be bringing my friend and his older brother. So sign up Zero and Loki, please.

Hoser

Smash Ace
The entry fees are kinda gey, but I'll probably end up going nonetheless, since Jman's got canceled. If I do, I'll bring at least 2 people with me.

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
what are the chances of you running a melee tournament sometime .... >_>
If there's enough demand, I'll do it.

Your the first person to ask though hehe

If we did do it, it would probably just be either free or 5$ with it all going to a winners pot. But again, that's only if there's enough demand

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
Hello Brawlers,

The SSBB tournament is right around the corner and we want to include a free SSBM tournament in the event. The Melee tournament would have product prizes such as all day passes, a free pizza or burger plate, and/or other similar prizes. To do so, we will need help getting the equipment together as we don't currently have any N64s/games/controllers. If anybody would like to volunteer their equipment please post here!

Also, all tournament participants will receive BringIt.com gear and Rockstar Energy drinks!

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Hello Brawlers,

The SSBB tournament is right around the corner and we want to include a free SSBM tournament in the event. The Melee tournament would have product prizes such as all day passes, a free pizza or burger plate, and/or other similar prizes. To do so, we will need help getting the equipment together as we don't currently have any N64s/games/controllers. If anybody would like to volunteer their equipment please post here!

Also, all tournament participants will receive BringIt.com gear and Rockstar Energy drinks!
Hehe...

Gamecubes. If some people could bring gamecubes with Melee then we'll do it.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
If anybody would like to see how we set up the tournament arena area check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.php?aid=22382#/photo.php?pid=431945&id=1012558553

4 setups with HD projectors and couches to match. Definitely a great setup for play and for viewing multiple matches at once. We encourage everyone to take advantage of the rest of our facilities as well. You get an all day gaming pass with registration. This means before, between, and after matches you can play on any of our PC or console setups. There is also a restaurant, bar, mini-golf, and batting cages at our venue for anyone who is interested.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
I went to the last one, so I'll probably go to this one :]

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
You make me so sad. ;-;

This is on the day of my prom... And I actually got a date... *sigh*

Oh well. I've been to more smash tournaments than I have dates, so this'll even it out (Making my count on both sides three.)

Edit: Free merchandise? D: No fair!

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
You make me so sad. ;-;

This is on the day of my prom... And I actually got a date... *sigh*

Oh well. I've been to more smash tournaments than I have dates, so this'll even it out (Making my count on both sides three.)

Edit: Free merchandise? D: No fair!
Gah, I was looking forward to another match vs you again hehe.
Have fun though!

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
May 16th, huh?
I'm hoping to be there.
I'll demolish you all, heh heh.
I'm lucky I live near Kittery, even though I don't live in Maine, but I live close enough, so...

Who said we needed gamecubes to play Melee? Have you all forgotten that the Wii has backward compatibility?
I have Melee (BUT sometimes it can't read the disk so it's not totally reliable) and everything unlocked on my memory card if you need that but idk how many we need.
I also have 4 controllers, I just need to buy more good batteries for the 3 wavebirds.
Wow. Yeah, I am such a complete Melee noob haha.
I actually skipped Melee in the series so that's why I'm a little off with it hehe.
Anyway, that would be great if you could bring your copy and memory cards. I'm pretty sure everyone will be bringing their own controller, but feel free to bring some more.

Yeah idk if you'll demolish all of us, I'll look forward to the challenge :-) and I'm sure I'm notthe only one.

Holodek Kittery

Smash Cadet
If anybody needs a controller we have 5 for you to use at the venue, but otherwise I would suggest bringing your own.

Also, is 450 brawls the fastest/easiest way to unlock Wolf?

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
If anybody needs a controller we have 5 for you to use at the venue, but otherwise I would suggest bringing your own.

Also, is 450 brawls the fastest/easiest way to unlock Wolf?
I'm going to be bringing at least 2 wiis with everything unlocked, so don't worry about it. I can get more too if needed. Actually I'll just see if I can get more

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
there is nothing wrong with announcing your namesake

i'm going to dazwa each and every single one of you

Top Bottom