• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2ch leaks.

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
Why is everyone suddenly jumping into conclusions that the 35-character roster is true?

I'm leaning towards the 2chan's 39-character roster more. Having everyone except Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy with Falco & Ganondorf's movesets changed and them being unlockables makes sense to me. The unrevealed new characters being Krystal, Bowser Jr., King K. Rool, Black Shadow, Krystal, Lucario, and Takamaru, I'm OK with. And hell, unless that's a really, REALLY good shop, that screenshot's very convincing.

As for Olimar being unlockable:
This isn't the starting roster. Look at the very bottom of the screen. There's a score there, which means whoever has this has gone through some sort of story mode and unlocked some characters.
This just makes the roster more believable.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
One question: why is Donkey Kong listed on the character select screen as "Donkey"?
He was listed as "D.K." in Melee, but because Diddy's initials are also D.K., they probably decided to call him Donkey.

Also, in the Japanese version of Melee, he was called "D. Kong" instead of "D.K." So he may be listed as something different from the Japanese version in Brawl too.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I was just thinking the same thing. If memory serves me correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong), in Melee he's listed as "Donkey Kong" in English and "D.K." in Japanese. Even so it doesn't prove a thing. I'm really hoping this guy posts a video or something soon to prove himself true. I don't expect a 'full' roster anytime soon, unless he has an AR or means of hacking his save file - with hardly any time spent with the game, no mass-release to spur FAQs, and no published strategy guides released yet, he doesn't exactly have the means to quickly and efficiently unlock characters yet.
No, he's listed as "D.K." in English and "D. Kong" in Japanese, like I just said...

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Why are you squabbling over the names. If you cross reference the Japanese page of Dojo they all check out with the confirmed info. I still think its a fake though.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think it might be real, but for the record, that wouldn't be that hard to PhotoShop together. You'd just have to make your roster screen, then view it on your Wii off of the internet.
Yeah, but the disk would be a little harder to fake.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
One question: why is Donkey Kong listed on the character select screen as "Donkey"?
Japanese game does that. SSBM does it too if you switch it to Japanese.

It's like Ice Climber (JPN) -> Ice Climbers (English) or Purin (JPN) -> Jigglypuff (English)

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
Not really. You've never heard of LightScribe?

By the way:

That's from the Dojo update on Basic Brawl on the Japan site. DK is Donkey.
Lightscribe can't do that clear thing yet...or colored text...Or THAT much detail...I know because I HAVE one thank you VERY much >_>;;;

So drop that now...

[/lightscribe]

But...Dang it if this isn't so close to real...

If it is not big props to whoever sat down and did all of this crud...It sure looks real...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't think it really matters if it's real or not. Even if it's real, it doesn't show anything we don't already know. It'll matter when people start posting screen shots that show new things.

I personally think it's fake, because even if he hasn't unlocked anything yet, there has to be something he could have taken a screen shot of that hasn't been shown yet. Like maybe an unrevealed stage, or Sheik using her final smash, or a new item, or anything...

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Well, I don't know what to believe but I think it is real for now and if we could get a full roster or even afew more unlockable characters we don't know about yet that would be great.

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
Hmm, Captain falcon and Ness nowhere to be seen yet?!

So the starters are in place now..
Probably unlockables. Duh.

Let's hope this guy dumb the game fast :)
DONE the game fast. Right?

ANyway, I like this "leak" - cause it looks kinda real (The disk is pwnsome). We'll see if it's real sooner or later.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Hold on a second! I think I just realized something that proves this picture is a fabrication.

Looking at that roster, you will see that Bowser is referred to as "Koopa" and Donkey Kong is referred to simply as "Donkey". This is no suprise. That's just what they're called in Japanese. Whoever created this image knew enough about the game to make those changes. However, they made one fatal mistake!

Look at Olimar's icon. His name above the picture reads "Olimar". No suprise, right? That's his name after all, isn't it? But his name is only "Olimar" in English. In the original Japanese, his name is "Orima"! And I don't mean it's spelled "Olimar" but pronounced "Orima" because of how the Japanese language works. I mean the kanji for his name is O-RI-MA. It's a pun, you see...the same Kanji as Mario's name, but backwards! Louie's name in Pikmin 2 is a similar play on Luigi. You can see it in detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikmin_(series)#Captain_Olimar

And don't give me that "Wikipedia isn't a reliable source" stuff. Look at the article, look at Olimar's page on the Japanese Dojo, and look at Mario's page. The letters check out. It's true.

Bowser is "Koopa", Donkey Kong is "Donkey", Jigglypuff would be "Purin". But why does "Orima" go by a false name? Why would he alone have his name deliberately and consciously changed to the American version? Because the person who faked the roster didn't know Olimar's true identity!

shayr1992

Smash Rookie
How frustrating, in the downtime and 30 mins it took to post my post, people beat me to it. Aaah well x.x.

-- Andy
Same thing happened to me, I was trying to submit way before the Smah_Brother post appeared, this site is screwed up, just this site though

Zek

Smash Ace
I think it's pretty impossible to argue that the video is fake. He even got the voices. This lends a lot of credibility to the 35 character roster list, which nails the character order perfectly.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
if the video is real then why at the top of the stage one thing is the little map still gone? it's only not on the dojo so we dont know how many stage and ****.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Hold on a second! I think I just realized something that proves this picture is a fabrication.

Looking at that roster, you will see that Bowser is referred to as "Koopa" and Donkey Kong is referred to simply as "Donkey". This is no suprise. That's just what they're called in Japanese. Whoever created this image knew enough about the game to make those changes. However, they made one fatal mistake!

Look at Olimar's icon. His name above the picture reads "Olimar". No suprise, right? That's his name after all, isn't it? But his name is only "Olimar" in English. In the original Japanese, his name is "Orima"! And I don't mean it's spelled "Olimar" but pronounced "Orima" because of how the Japanese language works. I mean the kanji for his name is O-RI-MA. It's a pun, you see...the same Kanji as Mario's name, but backwards! Louie's name in Pikmin 2 is a similar play on Luigi. You can see it in detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikmin_(series)#Captain_Olimar

And don't give me that "Wikipedia isn't a reliable source" stuff. Look at the article, look at Olimar's page on the Japanese Dojo, and look at Mario's page. The letters check out. It's true.

Bowser is "Koopa", Donkey Kong is "Donkey", Jigglypuff would be "Purin". But why does "Orima" go by a false name? Why would he alone have his name deliberately and consciously changed to the American version? Because the person who faked the roster didn't know Olimar's true identity!
How can you be sure it says olimar? It's too blurry.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Those are their names in Japanese...

You can't deny the video... no way that is fake...

edit:

I just realized something...

This is Ikki's youtube profile...

He really did get brawl early :chuckle:

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Okay. Two questions.

1. Are we positive where this vid ORIGINATED from? I.e. - when did it end up on the net, and at which site?
2. Are we positive the video comes from the same person that showed off the disc?

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice
Looks legitimate enough, but only one thing seems odd, is that the characters aren't "organised", the mario characters aren't together, the Pokemon characters aren't together, the Zelda characters etc..

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Those are their names in Japanese...

You can't deny the video... no way that is fake...

edit:

I just realized something...

This is Ikki's youtube profile...

He really did get brawl early :chuckle:
but why arn't lucas' and olimar's japanese names there?
It's classic mode... lol
no **** go look at classic mode in the previous two games there is a map at the top. :D

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'm starting to think it's fake... yes, the video AND the screenshot... it's possible... and we havn't seen any gameplay footage. I can't think of why he would cut off the video right after the intro to the first match...

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think it's fake... yes, the video AND the screenshot... it's possible... and we havn't seen any gameplay footage. I can't think of why he would cut off the video right after the intro to the first match...
I have to agree, something is oddly fishy about this whole thing. It's not that unbelievable , It's just a logical starting roster (everyone cept for the 2 third parties) but still...

Top Bottom