• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008-2009 English Premier League Season

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
About time this was made, been meaning to make it for a while. So anyway, this a place to discuss the English Premier League. I'll update the table, the results and the fixtures weekly.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
What a season so far.

Hull's unprecented success. Newcastle and Tottenham's self destruction. Harry Redknapp's departure from Portsmouth. Again. Liverpool ending Chelsea's unbeaten home run. The revelation of Zaki at Wigan. Rooney's form.... I could go on for ages.

I'm a Liverpool fan and am delighted with our start and really hope we can maintain a challenge this season. I'm taking it one game at a time and just hope to be challenging come the business end of the season. Chelsea and Man United remain the undoubted favourites but with the team's self belief and determination I hope we can maintain our good start.

Winning the games against the top four as we have done this season is pointless if we don't beat the teams that we're expected to beat. The week after beating Man United we drew to Stoke. We need to address this, starting with a win against a Portsmouth tomorrow.

Opinions on the season so far? Your aspirations for your team?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah Liverpool's result was amazing. To beat Chelsea at home after Chelsea's 4 and a half year unbeaten home record dating back to February 04 which lasted for 86 league games was excellent. The result has given Liverpool so much self belief.

Also, I see no reason why this should be closed and I really hope we get a discussion going and I don't have to bump this every week.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
To beat Chelsea at home after Chelsea's 4 and a half year unbeaten home record dating back to February 04 which lasted for 86 league games...
You just had to type the whole record didn't you?

gg Liverpool, I'm just glad it wasn't Gerrard who scored, THAT would have made it ****ing epic beyond repair.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Ahh, Arsenal dropped like a stone!
What a comeback by Tottenham. The players finally have some sense of belief under Redknapp. What a goal by Bentley. I've always seen Almunia as a liability to Arsenal. He doesn't make enough match winning performances.

Glad Liverpool won on the back of the Chelsea game. Albeit the win wasn't that convincing, a win is a win.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Couple of big games today.

Stoke vs Arsenal - How will Arsenal cope after their self destruction against Tottenham.

Man United vs Hull - How will high flying Hull manage against last season's champions.

Tottenham vs Liverpool - Will the leaders be able to beat the rejuvenated Tottenham under Harry Redknapp.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
just found this cool little thread. im a huge chelsea fan. im just gonna get that out there. anyway i predict that the reds are gonna take it this year. if they can stay healthy(especially torres up front) then they are gonna be awful hard to beat. as far as the champions league is concerned i think a non english team will take it with another upset over chelsea. (inter karma anyone?) hopefully for all blues fans my predictions are wrong but that is the way i see it all unfolding. im glad to see tottenham doing better, iam a little partial to them and with their talent have no business near the bottom of the table. it will be interesting to see who has the starting job when drogba comes back (after the ban) with anelka on form. so much to talk about. ill be sure to check back to this thread.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I haven't updated this because I didn't want to keep double posting, so great you found this! I'll need to update the table!

Since last time I posted Liverpool lost to Tottenham in the league and in the Carling Cup. We should have won the first game in the league by a mile, we played some of our best football this season and had several missed chances. Then in the second half we conceded two sloppy goals, one a Carragher own goal and a last minute Pavluychenko tap in and three points went out the window. Was a real shame we lost that game and failed to sustain the three point gap over Chelsea, but we bounced back with a comprehensive home win against West Brom, with Keane finally getting two league goals. In the Carling Cup though our reserves were totally not up to the task and Tottenham were fully deserving of their 4-2 victory. That worries me slightly as it makes my doubt our squad qould cope over the season with sustained injuries. Torres is yet to return to full fitness and the faster that happens the better.

Arsenal bounced back from defeat against Stoke and an uninspiring draw with Fenerbache in the Champions League with a great morale boosting win against Manchester United in the league, and their young reserve team completely outclassed a full Wigan team in the Carling cup. People had writtten them off, but I think it's too early for that, although dropping so many points to the lower league sides so far is not a good sign.

Chelsea have looked their usual dominant force in the league, although they've now suffered two defeats in the Champions League and being knocked out of the Carling Cup by Burnley. As usual though I fully expect them to bounce back in the Premiership. Apears Drogba will get a ban for his coin throwing incident, but Anelka's decent run of form means it's no crisis.

I shall update tomorrow and will post all the league results. Liverpool have got Bolton away, a game we really must win if we want the league.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Arsenal bounced back from defeat against Stoke and an uninspiring draw with Fenerbache in the Champions League with a great morale boosting win against Manchester United in the league, and their young reserve team completely outclassed a full Wigan team in the Carling cup. People had writtten them off, but I think it's too early for that, although dropping so many points to the lower league sides so far is not a good sign.
This is can't be described by words.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I've no TV where I stay so I can't really see any of the footy atm but got the weekend at my aunt and uncles so I'm back in the game baby

Won't comment so far but if anything interesting happens this weekend I'll chip in, I go to another forum for football talk. That said much impressed by your work so far ~N9NE~, especially with the WSOP thread, you can be
too.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Cheers Sporkman. Yeah I usually lurk 606 or football365.

Updated, will update with results.

Just another comment, this has to be the tightest season ever in terms of relegation, with only seven points separating 20th and 7th.

Top Bottom