• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2 stock or 3 for Smash WiiU tournaments?

Udlr Customs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UDLR Hanzo
Should Smash Wii U tournaments stick to the For Glory rule sets from the 3DS version for tournaments? Would 3 stock take forever in high level play? What are your thoughts

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I vote 3 stock.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
I vote 3 stocks as well, altough I guess it really depends on how much time (and how many WiiUs) you have on your hands.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've seen grand finals with two stock last under 10 minutes last weekend, this includes Counter picking and other things. In fact one of the games ended in under a minute.

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
This might be still too early to really decide one side or another. I mean with the few tournaments we had we saw some 2 stocks matches last longer than 3 stocks and the contrary is also true. From there i see multiples points that could play on the lenght of battles :
  • The game is still young and as people learn it, matches can take more/less time depending on the player. Later on, we might have less disparity on data and might really decide then.
  • 2 stocks battles might make players more defensively and so it could take as long as 3 stocks for certain matches (like grand finals where it matters).
  • Obvisouly the match-ups. Depending the characters the match can takes more time per stocks (campy characters for example).
But the most important feedbacks should be the players that played both 2 and 3 stocks tournaments, they may have some extra informations that a TO or a spectator could miss.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
^yeah, I know I'm a little more careful when I've only got 2 stocks.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
My group is going to host a local tourney, we are expecting a good ammount of people but are gonna try 3 stocks - 8 mins, best of three. However, given our time constrains (between 6-8 hours) we are gonna do it on a single bracket format.

xTmT

Smash Rookie
NNID
sneakybeavr
Switch FC
4906-2203-5611
3 Stock 8 mins is the way to go for competitive play. Playing on 2 stocks promotes a more defensive play style and will drag matches out (always exceptions of course).

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
2 stocks please, let's keep it quick so TOs don't have a mental breakdown.

smithspot

Smash Journeyman
We hosted a tournament on release day (Friday night):
**Had 28 entries and 5 setups.
**Started at 8:30pm and the last match finished at 11:25pm.

Our settings were:
2 stock, 5 mins, best 2/3 set. (Note that only 2 matches went the entire time)
Losers Finals & Winners Finals was 3 stock, 8 mins, best 2/3 set.

The feedback from everyone was great from both casual and top players from the region that attended.
They really enjoyed the 2 stock setting and the Finals extra stock setting. Secondly, as a T.O. having a
tournament end in 3 hours rather than 6+ hours is great.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I'm for 3 stocks in pools, 2 stocks in brackets.

It would allow for some margin of error in pools, and higher-level, more-adaptive play in brackets.

Also, I don't see a problem with shortening the time-limit. Maybe keeping everything at 5 minute-matches can encourage faster play starting with 3 stocks?

Tripswag

Smash Cadet
I'm definitely an advocate for 3 stocks. Allows for more interesting and aggressive gameplay, whereas 2 stocks seems to encourage a lot of defensive play imo. I dunno. 2 stocks logistically is great time-wise, but Brawl has run 3 stocks for the last few years and no one has given a ****. Why should we care now with a slightly faster-paced (if not, at least the same speed) game as Brawl? I don't see why we'd give this game the 2 stock treatment when Brawl still gets to have 3.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
If and when I host Smash 4 at a tourney, it will be with a two stock ruleset. Considering the pace of gameplay and physics of the game engine, there's nothing we learn about a pair of opponents from a three stock match that we wouldn't learn from a two stock match. So yeah, no need to dig ourselves into a TOing logistics hole this early into Smash 4's lifespan. On a related note, Brawl would have benefited greatly from running a one or two stock ruleset from the very beginning of its lifespan, but by the time the community figured that out, it was too late to save the scene.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Also, I don't see a problem with shortening the time-limit. Maybe keeping everything at 5 minute-matches can encourage faster play starting with 3 stocks?
Shorter time limits encourage time-outs, as it is easier to stall until time runs out and preserve your advantage than to get a kill. With a 3 stock 5 minute format we wouldn't have 6,7 or 8 minute matches, but it's more likely that almost every match will run the full 5 minutes.

I'm in favour of 2 stock matches to speed up the process.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
Having now played in two tournaments with 2 and 3 stock rules i can safely say i prefer 3 stocks to 2 stocks.
That being said, games can still take a good period of time or no time at all on either. This game can reward both offensive and defensive play (more defensive than offensive i feel) so matches can be 3 minutes or the full 8 minutes depending on the play.

I think it'll really depend on the venue and how much time they have to spare, if they don't have much time 2 stocks is a better option where as 3 stocks will be better overall for determining the winner more definitively i feel.
Its still pretty damn early in the game's life. i think we can agree 2 stocks is fine for for glory because ya never know when a connection is gonna be horrendous and make 3 stocks a pain, but for a more tourney setting i can see it go either way

Top Bottom