• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2 Days. 5 Slots (Presumably). Who will occupy them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
You seem to forget Mii Fighter is taking at least one of those slots. Possible three.

So;
1. Mii Fighter (Confirmed)
2. Mewtwo
3. Ice Climbers
4. Dixie Kong/Impa
5. Karate Joe/Lucas/Wolf
Has that ever been confirmed?

Because in previous games that Mii's have appeared they had their own little space when it came to selecting them.

It's perfectly possible that they take up a slot, but don't try to pass it off as fact.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Snake
Wolf
Ice Climbers
2 of these 3: Lucas, Mewtwo or RH Rep

Remember, we were already nearing the bottom of the barrel with new comers before Robin..
We were nearing the bottom of the barrel for trailers, not newcomers.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
What I Want:

1. Bandana Dee - C'mon Sakurai. The one time I actually want your bias.
2. Mewtwo
3. Ice Climbers
4. Lucas and/or Snake.
5. Wolf and/or Roy. Fire Emblem Roy. Not the Koopaling.

What I Expect:

1. Dixie Kong and/or King K Rool.
2. Ridley
3. Mewtwo
4. Daisy. We're getting clones, right?
5. Marshall.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Based on all available possible roster organizations that are 'aesthetically pleasing' from a more objective standpoint (note: you can assume one possibility for each of these is that the empty slot is Miis, taking out the last person on the list. So I'll list who I believe if Miis have no rendered slot on the roster and are picked by some other selection method):

1 Slot left (1 in Row 5):
Mewtwo

3 Slots left (1 in Row 5, 2 in Row 6):
Mewtwo, Mach Rider, Clone (anyone)

5 Slots left (1 in Row 5, 4 in Row 6)
Mewtwo, Wolf, Mach Rider, RH Rep, Clone (or Snake).
- Row six would be: Clones - Shulk - Third Parties - Random

7 Slots left (1 Added Column, 1 more in Row 6, Mii Fighter is definitely a tile):
Impa, Ridley, Mewtwo, Mach Rider, Clone, Snake

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
My most wanted: Isaac

You can fill in other slots people!

What I think is possible, satisfying a lot of fans as well as making the roster amazing:

1) Isaac
2) King K. Rool
3) Mewtwo
4) Impa
5) Mach Rider

This is just regarding newcomers, not sure about returning characters! Not sure about Ridley either, although he would be nice considering he has such a huge fan base! I added Mewtwo to this as he skipped Brawl.

Returning characters: Wolf. Ice climbers may not since Sakurai expressed difficulty in adding them.

But I still think that there are more than 5 slots remaining so as long as Sakurai doesn't mess up, we can still have an amazing roster including secret characters.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
As I've said in other threads, I don't think we're getting more characters. The way that the roster shifts when characters unlock makes additions to most series impossible without ruining the CSS organization. And I still don't really buy that ESRB was not shown entire playable characters. For the sake of the thread, though, I'll go with what I see as the most likely of the 5-addition scenarios which would not violate the rules of roster expansion:

1. Wolf
He was the less clone-y of the two Fox clones, so him returning would make sense. I'm honestly surprised Falco is supposedly in the game while Wolf's cut, though I guess Falco's longer incumbency helps.

2. Mewtwo
The most-requested character for SSB4, and an obvious (though a little boring) choice for a Pokemon rep. He overlaps a little move-wise with Lucario, so he's not as unique as the gimmicky characters Sakurai seems to be leaning toward this time, but he is nowhere near a clone, so I could see him making it just to satisfy fans.

3. Ice Climbers
The fact that they were cut for technical reasons is totally believable, I just included them because they're from an otherwise unrepresented series and the polar bear IS in Smash Run.

4. Rhythm Heaven character or maybe Isaac
There's no other single-rep series that I think is indisputably more deserving than the others, but since there are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run I could see somebody from that series grabbing a spot. The Chorus Kids would be cool, but I don't think Sakurai is at all bound by popular opinion there, since practically no one had even heard of them when development was starting. I haven't personally played RH, so I won't pretend to know who the best representative from that series would be. I would be fine with another newcomer outside of RH, though. Isaac would bring some nice Golden Sun love, though with 4 FE reps, 3 KI reps, and now 1 Xenoblade rep, we are building up quite a few anime style humanioids already.

5. Clone - Impa
It could be any clone, but since every SSB so far has had at least one new Zelda rep, I figured a Zelda rep would be near the top of the list for skin-to-clone upgrading. Impa could function as a Sheik clone, since as far as I'm aware Impa trained Zelda to become Sheik. Other clones could be Louie from Pikmin (which would explain why Alph is supposedly the Olimar skin, as opposed to the more recurring Louie), another Animal Crossing character, or maybe even Dixie, although I really feel she shouldn't be a clone.

With these characters added, the bottom lines of the roster would become:
Fox - Falco - Wolf - Pikach - Charizard - Lucario - Jigglypuff - Greninja - Mewtwo
Duck Hunt - R.O.B. - Ice Climbers - Ness - Captain Falcon - Villager - Olimar - Wii Fit Trainer - [Rhythm Heaven]
Dr. Mario - Impa - Dark Pit - Lucina - Shulk - Pac-Man - Mega Man - Sonic - [Random]

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You seem to forget Mii Fighter is taking at least one of those slots. Possible three.

So;
1. Mii Fighter (Confirmed)
2. Mewtwo
3. Ice Climbers
4. Dixie Kong/Impa
5. Karate Joe/Lucas/Wolf
Mii Fighter is not. They have their own menu before the CSS screen where you pick "Miis" or "Characters". That way everyone could pick their Mii in peace and let those that prefer fighters pick in peace after without the chaos. Pretty sure this was part of the leak. And in online mode, the option is simply skipped and goes straight to characters. Much simpler solution, so a smart move.

D

Deleted member

It's still a day off. It's released in Japan on Sept 13...or, if you're across the Interational Date Line, Sept 12.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I have a fairly unpopular opinion on the 5.

1) :popo::icsmelee:
2):lucas:
3):wolf:
4) Rhythm Heaven Character (personal bias for Marshal over Chorus Men/Glee Club)
5) Bandana Dee.

I'm sticking by this for another 9 days unless Sakurai officially deconfirms one of these 5 or reveals a character not on the ESRB Leak which may blow the thing into question.

D

Deleted member

I'm in New York, so its the 13th for me, thus 9 days away.
...that's not how time zones work.
It's currently September 4rth in New York. In Japan, it is September 5th.
So when it's the 13th in Japan, it will be the 12th here

Last edited by a moderator:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
The series that are in need of reps are Metroid, DKC, and Star Fox so I would like to see Ridley, K. Rool and the return of Wolf. Chorus Men is the next obvious choice since he has an enemy in smash run and the gematsu leak. Lastly we got the return of Mewtwo because everyone loves Mewtwo.

1. Ridley
2. K. Rool
3. Wolf
4. Chorus Men
5. Mewtwo

we can only pray (or praise that sweet sun)

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Lucas is about as different from Ness as Wolf is from Fox.
no that is the far from the truth. wolf only shares 1 move that works the same and that is his reflector, everything else is either completely different or slightly different but with different animations. eg( the side b goes diagnal instead of horizontal, his gun does more dmg and the gun actually looks different.

Lucas and ness simply have the exact same animation moves with slightly different characteristics, ex: ness bat is less knockback-i think- and the side b is the same animation but ness's is more of a projectile and lucas's is more of a dmg trap.

If you've gotten this far on the reading , give yourself a pat on the back (because i didnt bother proof-reading or spell check)
Therefore, wolf is not similar enough to be called a clone, he feels like a different character instead of a re-skin like lucas does of ness.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
What I'd like to see:
- Pokémon rep (preferably new)
- Rhythm Heaven rep
- MOTHER rep (Lucas or otherwise)
and 2 of:
- Ice Climbers
- Wolf
- Ridley
- Dixie

I'm not even sure what I'd consider the most likely, though.

EDIT:
Well, obviously The Big Three are getting in.

Or this. I would totally main FDR.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
1. Ice Climbers
2. Lucas
3. Wolf
4. Who cares?
5. Not important.

:glare: That's all I have to say on the matter...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hmm... I don't know how Mii's work at all, it's never been explained if they get there own selection slot or not, I would assume so, so for the sake of argument I would say we only have 4 spots left unfortunately on the roster, so here's what I think we'll end up with with my hype three bias definitely sinking in, but not completely unrealistic of an expectation:

1. Ridley - He's been teased, hugely requested newcomer with an extremely vocal fan base, and could offer a very unique aerial game to the the roster.

2. Mewtwo - A character that's been sort of teased by Sakurai and mentioned before, another huge fan favorite with a move set that just needs tweaking and some appropriate buffs to make him into a higher tier character like what happened with Bowser. Again a character that just makes a ton of sense to be included.

3. DK Rep - I say DK rep despite my faith in Sakurai's inclusion of King K. Rool just to cover the fact I think we should expect a DK newcomer due to DK's surging popularity due to DKCR and the fact that DK is very under-represented as of now. The potential for newcomers is pretty large, with King K. Rool offering a very unique heavyweight move set, and Dixie offering up her own distinct characteristics, though might be somewhat of a clone. Both again are two of the biggest requests for Smash, and they both make more sense in at least seeing one if not both optimistically.

4. Impa/Wolf/Ice Climbers/Issac/Second DK Rep/RH Rep - I don't really know a lot of characters potentially make sense as the fourth (or fifth depending again on Miis) slot that is still presumably open in the game. Impa is the most logical Zelda newcomer, has potential as a clone if she was an easy add, and fits with Trophy Quiz theory. Sakurai seems to genuinely like Wolf and wanted his inclusion for years, and he was the most unique Star Fox character last time around. He's another villain as well, so he still has a fair shot. Ice Climbers are still original as hell and have a Polar Bear in Smash Run, they've at least got a shot. Issac has unique potential in his move set, and could get the Assist Trophy upgrade ala Little Mac and represent a new series. Second DK rep could work if Sakurai is fully supporting DK this time around. Then Rhythm Heaven rep due to leaks, moveset potential, new franchise representation, and Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run. All of which could work in a slot or two.

Preferably I'd have 5 spots open, give those spots to Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Ice Climbers and I'd have the roster to die for despite my support of Issac and another DK rep. Really any additional rep outside of the leak is going to make me happy, but I really want the hype three, and Smash wouldn't feel right with Ice Climbers cut despite my limited use of them. I still really have always liked their inclusion, so I'd love to see them back. And Wolf is just my favorite Star Fox character to play as, and offers a pretty cool play style as opposed to the other two.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
no that is the far from the truth. wolf only shares 1 move that works the same and that is his reflector, everything else is either completely different or slightly different but with different animations. eg( the side b goes diagnal instead of horizontal, his gun does more dmg and the gun actually looks different.

Lucas and ness simply have the exact same animation moves with slightly different characteristics, ex: ness bat is less knockback-i think- and the side b is the same animation but ness's is more of a projectile and lucas's is more of a dmg trap.

If you've gotten this far on the reading , give yourself a pat on the back (because i didnt bother proof-reading or spell check)
Therefore, wolf is not similar enough to be called a clone, he feels like a different character instead of a re-skin like lucas does of ness.
A character who looks similar but has different gameplay properties is the opposite of a reskin. I'm honestly not sure what the exact point you're trying to make is since you seem to have your terminology very, very confused.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
What I'd like to see:

EDIT:

Or this. I would totally main FDR.
Pft, what are you talking about? FDR would so be a clone of Churchill.

But. Here's my rationale behind my choices...

1. Ridley. What more can I say? He's been teased to no end. The fan outcry. The need for more Metroid reps. It's time. Behind Shulk, he's my most wanted character for Smash and I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it in.
2. Dixie Kong. She's pretty much everything the developers could want. A new DK rep, easy to design, and female. She's remained prominent in the Donkey Kong series since her debut, too, so she definitely deserves a shot in Smash.
3. Mewtwo. He was my main in Melee, so there's some personal bias here. But. After what happened with Brawl, I've made peace with him likely not returning to Smash ever. But. So may things point at his return. The leaks. The fan requests. The potential for new moves and MegaEvolutions through X/Y. If there were ever a time to bring Mewtwo back, it's now.
4. Impa. If Zelda is getting a newcomer, Impa seems like the most likely choice. I'd prefer Vaati, personally, but Impa makes more sense. She's been an important character in the series for decades, and has only grown in popularity. She has a fun design, and would likely be easy to design, playing similarly to Sheik. The leaks seem to suggest she's there, and I'm definitely not opposed.
5. Rhythm Heaven rep. It's another new IP to promote, and would provide a last WTF character. Either the Chorus Kids or Marshal would give us a fresh, unique fighter. I've been excited to try them out since the Gematsu leak and, honestly, I'd be disappointed if they end up being false.

Regarding the other characters... I'm more than okay with Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle being cut. I was never overly-fond of playing as any of them, and over the course of Sm4sh's pre-release era, I've come to accept them being gone for numerous reasons I'm sure you already know. The Ice Climbers are kinda in limbo, though... Honestly, I'd be okay with them gone. Yeah, there's some Melee nostalgia there, but. Ice Climber is basically a dead franchise at this point. They were a cool (lol puns) addition, but not one I'm upset over not returning. Wolf, too, seems to be stuck in limbo. I'm all for more villains, especially from Starfox, and Wolf was definitely fun to play as. That being said, Falco's seniority seems to be a big deal. Personally, I'd like to see him dropped in favor of Wolf, but. I understand that I'm in the minority there. I wouldn't be happy to see Wolf go, but it's far from a deal breaker. Lucas, though... Is a bit different. He was a back-up main of mine in Brawl, and I absolutely adored his role in Mother 3. That being said, I recognize that the hype for that game has long since died, and like Ice Climber, Mother really isn't going anywhere. Lucas' cut would sting me more than the rest, but realistically, it's nothing I'd lose sleep over.

As for newcomers, there isn't much else to say. K. Rool would be fun, but he just doesn't seem that prominent in the DK series these days. Give him a new game, then we'll talk. Bandana Dee doesn't really do it for me. And I don't really have opinions on Mach Rider or Isaac, either... And that's about it as far as popular Nintendo newcomers go, again, for me. There are tons of other characters spanning Nintendo's countless series that I'd love to play as in Smash, but they're all just personal favorites. Far too obscure or niche to be done justice in Smash, a game that's built around icons and titles that have left a greater impact on pop culture as a whole. Lastly, I don't think there will be another third party rep this game, though I'd love to see Bayonetta, Banjo-Kazooie, or Simon Belmont someday... No matter how unlikely they are. :( Honestly, I'm already pretty happy with Sm4sh's roster, so anyone else (along with Ridley... :p) would more or less be icing on the cake at this point.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
1. Wolf
2. Ice Climbers
3. Sceptile
4. Dixie
5. Krystal

...In my perfect world. But it doesn't work like that.

Otherwise, realistically speaking:

1. Wolf
2. Ice Climbers
3. Ridley
4. Mewtwo
5. Dixie

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
...that's not how time zones work.
It's currently September 4rth in New York. In Japan, it is September 5th.
So when it's the 13th in Japan, it will be the 12th here
Oh right, right. Didn't even think about that. Good point. Guess I should edit the day total in the title then.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I think there are really only 4, I think Mii will have a roster spot. But perhaps not we'll see I guess. That said I think/am hoping it's

Wolf
Lucas
Ice Climbers

I don't like cuts and see no real reason for them Of this group Wolf especially would be a pretty major disappointment if he truly is gone. Hopefully if that really is the case we'll see him return as DLC in the near future. As for the final spot or two I'm thinking Mewtwo or maybe Snake. Snake being cut makes sense since Nintendo doesn't own him. The copyright hurdles may not have been worth it a second time for a character who has very little relevance to Nintendo.

Secret Sexytime

Smash Rookie
Well the only one I'm hoping for is Isaac really. But I'm kinda thinking we won't get much more. But if we do:

1. Isaac
2. Ridley
3. Mewtwo
4. Marshal
5. ...who knows. Dixie maybe. Or something weird.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The only character I still have a strong feeling is playable in the game is Ridley. I am not sure about "five slots" tbh. I would love if one of the slots was occupied by an Advance Wars rep, but hah, that is never going go happen ;_;

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Why is everyone saying Dixie Kong is going to be one of the last 5? Have faith in K. Rool!!! My 5 are:
1. Wolf
2. Ridley
3. K. Rool
4. Mewtwo
5. Isaac

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
The only character I still have a strong feeling is playable in the game is Ridley. I am not sure about "five slots" tbh. I would love if one of the slots was occupied by an Advance Wars rep, but hah, that is never going go happen ;_;
The Advance Wars struggle is real :c

I feel like Miis may take a spot, but lets be optimistic!
1. Lucas
2. Wolf
3. ICs
4. Mewtwo
5. I will take any newcomer if I get those four. Andy or Sami would be super coolio.

EDIT: Welp. Wolf all but disconfirmed. Swell.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
What I want:

Isaac
Mewtwo
Dixie or K. Rool
Sceptile
Krystal

What I expect:

Chorus Kids
Ridley
clone
clone
clone

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
1. Lucas
2. Bandana Dee
3. Wolf
4. Ice Climbers
5. Isaac

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
1. Isaac
2. Marshal/Chorus Kids
3. Ridley
4. K. Rool
5. Ganon (Yeah the beast Ganon. You know the spear and that.)

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
1. Mewtwo
2. Dixie
3. Chorus Men
4. Ridley
5. None (I believe that 4Chan leak with Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog, maybe the boxes will change sizes once everyone's unlocked)

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Any one who includes Isaac is definitely in my good books :p

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
1. Meowser (Cat Bowser)- Clone of Bowser but faster
2. Mew
3. Louie- Clone of Olimar but with bugs
4. Andross
5. Mach Rider

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
What I expect:

Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong
Chorus Men
No fifth slot. I don't think K. Rool is going to make it to Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom