• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

12/21 Hanukkah: first day.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, I am half Jewish, and we celebrate the holidays too, usually there is a tradition that people follow during holidays. I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Hanukkah (Times 8 of course!), and want to know, what do you usually do at Hanukkah.

In my family we usually eat a dinner first, blintzes and Potato pancakes, with a side of beef stew. Afterwards, we all gather around the dinning room table, and say the prayers and light the candles. After that we read a story every night that relates to Hanukkah. Then we exchange feelings and stories of our lives that changed us. In the end we play with the draddle and eat gelt.

So what is your tradition?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I am not Jewish, but I have a question and a story!

A) Am I right in saying that Hanukkah isn't a that major of a holiday? I mean that if it wasn't in the winter, it wouldn't ever be compared to Christmas?

B) My friends parents, for the first day, gave him an iPod Video (This was last year) case. Then, after a few more days of decent presents, he *knew* what he was getting on the last one. He opens the present... and he got an iPod Shuffle.

Owned.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I am not Jewish, but I have a question and a story!

A) Am I right in saying that Hanukkah isn't a that major of a holiday? I mean that if it wasn't in the winter, it wouldn't ever be compared to Christmas?

B) My friends parents, for the first day, gave him an iPod Video (This was last year) case. Then, after a few more days of decent presents, he *knew* what he was getting on the last one. He opens the present... and he got an iPod Shuffle.

Owned.
A) Yes it is, infact Hanukkah is one of Gods first miracles bestowed upon the Jews. And since it is a Jewish holiday, Christmas isn't much of a problem is it?

B) Some times families extanges gifts, yes, some doesn't. Usually the gifts arn't big, but more of a cherished item that would be important towards the Jewish lineage. Such as a dad giving his son a favored draddle or manora.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
A) Yes it is, infact Hanukkah is one of Gods first miracles bestowed upon the Jews. And since it is a Jewish holiday, Christmas isn't much of a problem is it?

B) Some times families extanges gifts, yes, some doesn't. Usually the gifts arn't big, but more of a cherished item that would be important towards the Jewish lineage. Such as a dad giving his son a favored draddle or manora.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'm not religious in any way, and the only jewish people I know aren't in temple by choice. I was just under the impression it was "minor" because there are bigger ones like Yom Kippur... (If that is in fact, bigger). Also, I understand that comparing holidays is kinda dumb. Kinda really dumb, my bad.

Last question... I heard somewhere that there are more Jewish holidays than there are days in a calender year, as some of them only happen once every few years. Is this correct?

@Mugquomp. Read the post carefully. They gave him a case for the iPod video, which might as well have been pure false hope wrapped in a box.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'm not religious in any way, and the only jewish people I know aren't in temple by choice. I was just under the impression it was "minor" because there are bigger ones like Yom Kippur... (If that is in fact, bigger). Also, I understand that comparing holidays is kinda dumb. Kinda really dumb, my bad.

Last question... I heard somewhere that there are more Jewish holidays than there are days in a calender year, as some of them only happen once every few years. Is this correct?

@Mugquomp. Read the post carefully. They gave him a case for the iPod video, which might as well have been pure false hope wrapped in a box.
I'm agnostic by the way, but I am tolerant and reverent to others beliefs, all walks of religion and philosophy will be considered and embraced for wisdom.
Yom Kippur is the most important Jewish holiday, this is because it is the beginning of the atonement of the sins that have been committed, we ask for repentance and forgiveness and a hope for a better year.
Passover is big too, it basically thanks God for the salvation from Egypt.

No, I don't believe that is true, but then again, I am not really 'orthidox' in Judism, so I cannot really say, but I don't believe that it is true.

Lastly, I am just glad that you came and talked about it. It shows tolerance and the openess to other things rather then being narrowminded. For that, I take my hat off to you sir.

They were good questions and was more then happy to answer them.
Wish your friend happy Hanukka for me.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I believe that I should learn as much as I can about others, opens up a lot more social circles.

Thanks for the answers.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Happy Hanukkah?

Isn't Hanukkah spelled with a C sometimes? Whats the difference? Or am I thinking of another holiday :laugh:

and lol @ phloat

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
It is spelled with a C sometimes; it just depends on how you want to transliterate חנוכה from Hebrew to an English approximation. Oh, and I guess I missed that part about the case earlier because it was after the parentheses.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Happy Hanukkah?

Isn't Hanukkah spelled with a C sometimes? Whats the difference? Or am I thinking of another holiday :laugh:

and lol @ phloat

Hanukkah : 8,470,000 hits.
Chanukah : 3,390,000 hits.
Hanukah : 862,000 hits.
Hannukah : 677,000 hits.
Chanuka : 335,000 hits.
Chanukkah : 274,000 hits.
Hanuka : 192,000 hits.
Channukah : 128,000 hits.
Chanukka : 116,000 hits.*
Hanukka : 86,300 hits.
Hannuka : 51,400 hits.