• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

100 Things Great Ikes Do

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
100 Things Great Ikes Do

Hello all, I'm a long time SmashBoards lurker and finally decided to get into posting a bit. :laugh: However, every time I visit the Ike boards, I see a hand full of stupid and/or senseless topics such as "IKE IS OVEPOWARD!!!!111!!!!!" or "GRAND VIPER UNSTOPPABLE" etc. Let's put an end to that and create a more intellegent forum. If all of you are as tired as I am of NOOB Ikes asking NOOB questions, let's compile a list of how the pros play. Post something to do/ not to do as an Ike player, and by the end we'll have have a pinned "Anti-Scrub" topic of enlightenment so we can have more threads made of win and less made of epic fail.

I'll start off with #1.

Learn to space effectively.
One of the worst things that new Ikes do is aggressively attack inside of Ike's full range. Due to the laggy and telegraphic nature of his attacks, he gets shield/dodged quite easily and quickly punished. However, aiming to hit with the end of Ike's massive sword ensures that it's very hard to punish Ike after a missed attack. This is crucial to not being brutally mauled by some of the faster characters.

Your turn.

Edit: I'll add the tips onto this page as they come in until we get a nice 100-list (or as many as we can think of :))

THE LIST

1. Use Ike's range to your advantage. There's a reason he's got a two-hander.
2.Jab more. Ike's jabs are fast and damaging, a staple ability in his arsenal.
3. Time your attacks. Whiffing big moves as Ike will leave you ripe for punishment.
4.Use tilts rather than smashes. Ike's tilts are slow but strong, almost like a faster character's smashes. Mix them into your repertoire!
5.Spike with Ike. Ike has several killer spikes, but don't try too hard and screw your recovery.
6.RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush). Ike's RAR is an effective approach and kill move, but is often overlooked.
7.Don't spam F-Airs. Although commonly known as one of Ike's best attacks, don't abuse and become too predictable.
8.Take advantage of Super Armor frames. Eruption and Aether are great for halting enemy aggression.
9.Use Ike's N-air. Often overlooked by beginners, Ike's N-air has great coverage, and can be auto-canceled - Solid and safe for approach game.
10.Mix up your jab combo. Adding unexpected attacks after the first or second jab, or simply stopping outright is great for mind games.
11.Double-jump mind games. Use unorthodox movement to try and get opponents to run into your attacks.
12.Approach with aerials. Ike's aerials are often the best method of approaching, and are far more versatile and less punishable than his Quick Draw.
13.Learn defensive play. Opponents with projectiles can force Ike to close aggressively, but stay calm and punish melee-range pressure.
14.Powershield projectiles. Power shielding is vastly easier in Brawl, and projectiles will be abused against Ike.
15.Predict Movement. The key to landing Ike's slowest, most devastating moves is all about mind games and staying one step ahead.
16.Mix-up landings with Eruption. Eruption while falling will catch many overaggressive opponents, but don't abuse it or you'll be punished.
17.Own those platforms. Many of Ike's attack have enough range to hit platforms above, including F-Smash and U-Smash.
18.Learn Quick Draw's range. A Quick Draw which stops just short of an opponent will let you follow up with zero lag.
19.Eruption is good for edge-guarding. With Eruption's huge hit box and super armor, you can destroy recovering opponents with good timing.

Waiting for more posts!

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
lololol be a nub and spam smash and hope the other player is a moron... that is what all of them do on the friend finder lololol.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace

Jab more.
New Ikes don't get this, but Ike's three hit jab combo is easily one of his best, if not his best move. Its quick, fast, hard to escape, and does a nice 16% damage (I believe). It is also a decent approach option. Instead of using short Quick Draw to up-tilt, use short Quick Draw to jab. This is a much better option in my opinion. Now, i'm not saying spam the move, because then it becomes very predictable. A predictable Ike is a punishable one. Just try to use it more often.

EDIT: Way to mess up the whole "intelligent thread" thing PyroJet. No need for you to post here if you don't have anything to contribute.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
3. Time Your Attacks
Ike's moves come out rather slow, and are very punishable if they miss. If you time your attacks well, Ike will literally become a **** machine; if you miss, you're wide open for a forward smash. Use a Quick Draw to approach and calculate your next move based on how much time it will take for your next move.

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Way to mess up the whole "intelligent thread" thing PyroJet. No need for you to post here if you don't have anything to contribute.
Uhm in case you didn't read my post I DID contribute something. Not my fault if you don't want to follow that.

Wolt

Smash Journeyman
#4. Use Tilts Rather Then Smahes
Sure, his smashes are indeed powerful, but his tilts are indeed better for more situations. They come out much faster, and don't have as much after lag. Good Ikes can use tilts to destroy foes and set up for other attacks, such as an up-tilt into Aether, which racks up around 30%. The only exception is his down-tilt, but even that has it's uses for spiking. This doesn't mean never use smashes, but tilts can just help out more.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Uh no you didn't, not really. Pretty sure we all know that all the Ikes on the friend finder spam smashes.

But whatever, its cool I guess as long as you weren't flaming or something. Which is what it seemed like.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
#5 fight for their friends,
NO
attempt to spike, but within your capabilities, dAir, and Dtilt work good for this, Aether sometimes too but dont spam this move. dont be too trigger happy to spike, even though it can kill at LOW percents

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Uhm in case you didn't read my post I DID contribute something. Not my fault if you don't want to follow that.
You may have contributed something, but it wasn't necessarily useful.
"Spam smash and hope your opponent will run into them" isn't very helpful, and I'm trying to run a serious topic here. If you can offer up some real advice, you're more than welcome to post.

Torn

Smash Cadet
Rar

#6. Give people no sympathy by SHFFing RARs to approach.
Ike's frankly off-the-hook bair has long been touted as his fastest, most punishing move. Of Ike's admirably varied approach methods, one has stood the test of time as the most damaging and least predictable. Run at them (hahahahaha Ike runspeed) and execute a fastfalled shorthop that turns you around and lets you hit the opponent with a bair.

This is known as a RAR or a "Reverse Aerial Rush."

Integrate this effectively in your routine, space defensively, and time well and your Ike will be nigh unstoppable.

I main Marth btw.

Torn

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
#9 - 100. = RoK is your God. Do everything he tells you.

Thread over. Admin; close please.
you do know this thread is actually helpful right? unlike yours which was just closed

edit: #7. Do not rely on fair too much: one thing my friend does who uses Ike is spam fair a little too much and its way to easy spot dodge/counter (marth/luigi/falco main btw) and just punish his landing lag but when he uses nair its so much more effective since it barely has landing lag or none at all.its a strong move and its knockback is great but save it until your sure its gonna hit please.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Edit #8: (but kudos on the family guy reference.)
Take advantage of super armour frames.
Ike's hard to KO when he doesn't go anywhere.
doesnt he have 2 moves with SAF? those moves are situational but i do agree with the fact that you should take advantage of them when you can

Trozz

Smash Ace
Double jump mind games.

OP, there should've been some sort of rating system because some 'great tips' are going to be rubbish. (+/-)

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Play Defensive if you feel pressured, wait for your opponent to make a mistake and punish them for it.

kr3wman

Smash Master
At #1 : I was pretty sure it was a 1-handed sword...

#14 : Learn to Powershield Projectiles.

Because of Ike's lack of projectiles, characters with long-range fighting weapons (like Link or Samus) often try to camp using these. However, because of the huge upgrade to powershield frames, Powershield is way more easier to practice. Since projectiles have a set timing once they're launched, they're the most easiest attacks in the game to powershield. Learning to powershield consistently to a huge advantage over long range characters.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Man, some of my ideas are already said. Oh well.

#15: Predict your opponent's attacks and where they move, then attack accordingly. Ike's moves already come out slow enough, and it'll never come out if you attack them using only reaction time. Ex: If you think your opponent will jump over you and attack, use utilt slightly before they get there. That way, by the time Ike's starting lag finishes your opponent will be within striking range, and they will get hit.

Don't know if this one's valid, but I may as well try.

EXE

Smash Cadet
#16: Use the stage to your advantage.

Most stages with platforms have them at a height that is covered by Ike's awesome range, like Battlefield's left and right platforms, which can be completely covered by the Upsmash. Also, I'm almost sure that this move can also hit Luigi's Mansion's second floor.

FightCity

Smash Cadet
#18 Use side B to close in on your opponent. It let's Ike unexpectedly close in faster than just running and recovers very fast if it whiffs. (A lot of these entries could involve side b.)

MetalFace

Smash Rookie
Maybe a 100 tips is a bit too much but I´ll try to come up with something.
Stay below the enemy, especially on stages with platforms. As someone already said most of his attacks reach from below the platform such as his utilt, usmash, fsmash, etc. Also if someone rolls a little too much, use your usmash for a surprise attack, as it covers ike completely. Also for a faster attack use the dsmash.

Brookman

Smash Hero
turn around accordingly before you up or downsmash if you predict a roll or dodge, or what have you. The back side of the up smash has more range, and just provides a different timing for the attack.

practice rolling into turn around jab attack

jab sheilds into side steps or rolls

Top Bottom