• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/10 Final Boss themes

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
True Pacifist - Hopes and Dreams / SAVE The World
The fight starts out on Hopes and Dreams, then Transitions into SAVE The World. Really upbeat songs, which are rather fitting, considering the nature of the fight. It's hard to explain how these work so well with the game in text.

Neutral - Your Best Nightmare / Finale
Your Best Nightmare is very fitting for what you're going up against. Finale plays in stage two, where you can actually hurt the boss.

Genocide - Megalovania
This is not the boss you're fighting's theme, this is YOUR theme. You can only get the genocide ending by killing every possible encounter, so of course the definition of megalomania (Which is what the song's named after) fits.
meg·a·lo·ma·ni·a. noun.
obsession with the exercise of power, especially in the domination of others.
If you're hearing this song ingame, you're likely having a bad time.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I hate when people post threads about video game music, if only because it makes me waste so much time listing my countless favorite songs.

Oh well, here are some of my favorite final boss themes:

Super Mario World
" Galaxy
" Galaxy 2
Super Mario RPG / 2
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga / 2
" Partners in Time / 2
" Bowser's Inside Story
" Dream Team
Paper Mario TTYD
Super Paper Mario
Mega Man 7 / 2
Donkey Kong Country
" Country 2
" Country 3
" Country Tropical Freeze
Kirby's Dream Land
" Nightmare in Dream Land
" Super Star
" 64: The Crystal Shards
" Super Star Ultra
" Mass Attack
" Return to Dream Land / 2
" Triple Deluxe / 2
Earthbound / 2 (This part of the medley is my favorite)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sanic the Edgyhog 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series
Sonico VHS CD (possibly the only track from the US version that isn't inferior to the JP/EU version)
Sonic Colors / 2
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Splatoon / 2
Super Bomberman 3
Super Bomberman 4
Final Fantasy VI
Portal
Portal 2
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask / 2 / 3
" The Wind Waker
" Twilight Princess
" Skyward Sword / 2
" Spirit Tracks / 2
" A Link Between Worlds
Okami / 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Kid Icarus Uprising
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Metroid
" Zero Mission
" Prime
" Prime 3
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Pokémon GSC / HGSS
" DPPT
" BW
" B2W2
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne / 2
SMT IV / 2
Digital Devil Saga
" 2
Super Smash Bros
" Brawl
" 4
The King of Fighters '95
'96
'97
'98
'99

Well, these are the great themes I remember. Surely there are couple more I am forgetting ^^

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Is it terrible that I usually don't find final boss themes memorable?

Kingdom Hearts is an exception, but pretty much all of the battle themes of any level are exceptional in that series. Here's my favorite of the Final bosses:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
This is another one of my favorites.
I especially like that as you fight the boss, the woman's singing doesn't start until the boss' health gets low. And as it keeps getting low, her singing becomes louder. A great little detail.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I like some certain Final Boss themes. They're pretty entertaining to listen to, and they're also catchy and fitting to the scenario.

This is quite possibly the best final boss music in any Mario game to me, and it really compliments with the fight itself.

You went through hell. You had to fight several monsters trying to kill you. And now, here you are at the end, face to face with a giant creature who is connected to the very monsters you fought. The music is very intense, and it fits the mood of the battle.

One of the more generic final boss themes, but with Rayman 2 being the first game I ever played, it always will give me a hint of nostalgia.

Nintendo REALLY changed things up with this! Now, with a giant Bowser in pursuit, you have to survive a gauntlet to free Princess Peach.

I never even played this game, to be honest, but I did see my big brother play through it. I remember him being stuck at the very last part of the game, and this song kept playing day after day he was on. A very epic track for a very climactic final boss.

Sonic knew where he was at back then. This theme is easily the best of the 16-bit final boss themes I ever listened to.

Last edited:

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
Just a few of the many I have.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
This is a song I REALLY WISH wasn't on such a ****ty sounding console like the GBA, just listen to it:

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
Hey, does this count? It's from the last mission in Saints Row 3.

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie

All the music from M&L:DT was great, the boss battle was no exception.

For a boss theme it felt more like cinematic event than a harsh battle, that's why it was more memorable to me.

Last edited:

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
I've got two more. Gill's Theme from Street Fighter III: New Generation and 2nd Impact. I'm not the biggest fan of his 3rd Strike theme, though.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Phew. I am not too picky about my VGM taste, but I am usually not the person to consider too many things "10/10", especially if it's narrowed down on Final Boss music as in this case. And a lot of the stuff I would've personally posted (like The Serpent That Devours The Horizon) was already posted by others, but let's see what else there is.

Well, there would be this. The God-Slaying Sword has been posted and is great, but there is just something about Zanza.
It's such a creative and unique piece of music. It made a haunting chorus work with electric guitar and jazz piano, and I think it has a bit of the style of each composer of the OST in it, ACE+ loves their guitars, Manami Kiyota is great with ambient and choral tracks, and Yoko Shimomura is just known for piano at this point.
Okay, this is a completely random thought, but what if the intention behind this was to symbolize how Zanza has both the Soul/Monado of Bionis and Mechonis in his hands? He even transforms into what could be called a fusion of the two titans in the second phase. And, of course, if Zanza is pretty much a combination of all known structures of Shulk's world, his theme could very well be a combination of the entirety of the music, or at least the composers, of this game.

Okay, to expand on this, what if the piano symbolizes the Bionis, the guitar the Mechonis and the chorus Zanza as he sees himself?

Meanwhile, The God-Slaying Sword is less the theme of Zanza himself (duh), but more like the theme of Shulk's triumph/his own Monado. It's less of an fight against Zanza and more like Zanza's execution at this point.

I am thinking too much into this.

I might post a few more tracks when something comes to my mind, but for now, I just gotta say, Zanza is beautiful.

Top Bottom