• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1-18-08 (Trailer is out)

Atlus8

Smash Master
Anyone who saw Transformers, might have seen a trailer that concluded with the date
1-18-08 followed by a quick one second glance at some credits.

Apple Trailer
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

Trailer Discription:
The trailer starts out with a goodbye party in an apartment for a guy named Rob. As the party a continues there is a loud roar outside and the lights go out. The crowd decides to go on the roof to take a better grasp on what is going on. Just then, the loud roar is heard again and the camera turns and shows what seems Manhattan in a big ball of flame. Everyone instanly rushes back into the apartment as fragments of the explosion are impacting around the building. The camera goes out and then returns as there is panic on the streets. People are rushing to get away from this "thing" and a loud roar is heard again. The camera then faces upward to see a fragment hit a building. As the fragment falls to the middle of the street, it turns on it's side only to show that it was the head of the Statue of Libery.

The title of the movie was not shown but a few things are known. I started looking for clues as to what this movie is about and found very little info:

Movie Hints and/or Clues

-Producer is J.J Abrams (producer of Alias and Lost)

-Paramount Pictures is not giving anything out at the moment, but this project is currently known as "Cloverfield." Also, this project is considred TOP SECRET by Paramount Pictures and finding an online trailer is not easy. Youtube can be a source, but they get deleted.

-In the trailer, a man can be heard saying "I saw it, it's a lion. It's huge" or "I saw it, it's alive, it's huge." This can be an easy hint that this a creature feature film.

-It is said that this movie will be shown through cameras from people in the film. (Think of it as the Blair Witch Project meets Godzilla.)

Viral Marketing Sites

Pointed out by Dibs
http://www.1-18-08.com/

Pointed out by Eorlingas
http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/

Site and Trailer Analysis
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0uHbwPF5yJk

Ethan Haas Was Right Analysis
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ukHbEDPz10U

Cumulative Cloverfield Update
Pointed out by Eorlingas
http://youtube.com/watch?v=im7wWMVzIyg

More to come. . .

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
When I saw the trailer (before Transformers), I couldn't help but think about the Blair Witch project and how god-awful it was. Similar camera angles, etc.

I'm really hoping 1-18-08 is thought through.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm really looking forward to this. Amazing trailer.

The working title for this movie is "Cloverfield", although I doubt it means anything. The working title for Return of the King was "Blue Harvest".

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
!

I forgot all about this! That was an awesome trailer and had people in the audience yelling "That's it?! Tell us more!" at the screen.

I thought it was Godzilla, and then it just went to the date and I was super confused.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I just finished the puzzles. There are video clips after each one. It's some guy in an army suit, very fuzzy and blurry, talking about how "Ethan Haas was right, he saw all of this", and about the destruction of what appears to be the world. The videos also talk a lot about "It".

Answers to the puzzles follow

The first puzzle, you just have to click on the triangles that light up.

Second one, you have to spell out HAAS in their alphabet. Move your mouse over the lower right star, it will show you the letters. First one is A, last one is Z.

The third one, you have to move each light over the other ones to take them out. Like chineese checkers. You have to get it to where there is only one light left.

Fourth one, you have to move the green circles into the gears. Took a lot of tries. You can refresh your screen to reload, you will not be taken back to the first puzzle

Fifth one was ****ing impossible. To cut to the chase, you have to spell out "The beginning is the end" in their alphabet. Finding that out hurt my head

It ends saying that you need to visit back on August 1. You give them your email, and they say they will email you.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Pretty awesome stuff. Having the whole movie take place over a single hand held camera seems like a great idea, and hopefully they will be able to utilize this better than the Blair Witch Project.

I'm really excited about this movie. Guess will have to wait until August for more info though...

Dibs

Smash Lord
www.1-18-08.com

New picture was posted up today. I don't understand it at all.

That trailer alone was the first thing I talked to my friends about directly after watching transformers. I'm caught up in curiosity now. I'm hoping it's not godzilla or voltron or rampage or a new season of lost. I just hope it's an original movie. Watch this movie end up being an ad for alvin and the chipmunks or something.

*EDIT* And http://www.cloverfield.com/ ....

"We are in no way affiliated with
the preview being shown before
the new Transformers film. "

Haha. The hype has already begun.

*EDIT2*

Ohhhh it better not be just for a new season of LOST and it's just a huge marketing ploy.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Supposedly Paramount is denying all relation to the film.

The budget is suppose to be around $30 million.

And I'd say the 1-18-08 site is a fake. The pictures are labeled 1-18-08, but there is no reason the film itself would be set then.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Sounds like someone's even better than Sakurai at creatining hype. :)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The wikipedia article is mainly just people speculation.

Aint it cool News has a few things, which have mainly been posted.

In all honest, there isn't much to find out. The film is meant to be secretive, and they're doing a **** good job of it. I mean, they're blocking the trailer from being uploaded. Youtube links where taken down less then 24 hours after they where uploaded, and those where from handhold cameras recording it in theaters.

Edit: Does anyone else see some a bloody creature in between the two girls at the 1-18 website?

Also, i was wrong. the 1-18 website is an official one.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I found this on Yahoo. It's mostly stuff we already know, but it does include some cast members.

"Transformers" audiences get peek at new disaster pic
Friday July 6 2:17 AM ET

While unleashing "Transformers" onscreen this week, Paramount also lifted the lid on a top-secret project in the form of a teaser trailer for a new film, "Cloverfield."

"Cloverfield," which revolves around a monster attack in New York as told from the point of view of a small group of people, is being produced by "Lost" co-creator J.J. Abrams. It is being directed by Matt Reeves, who co-created "Felicity" with Abrams, and is written by Drew Goddard, who has worked with Abrams on "Lost" and "Alias."

Paramount greenlighted the project under a veil of heavy secrecy in February, about the same time that Abrams agreed to take over the directing reins of the new "Star Trek" film.

The casting process was just as mysterious. No scripts or even scene pages were sent out; agents who were contacted were simply asked if their client wanted to be in the movie. Eventually a cast, made up mostly of relative unknowns, was put together; it includes Michael Stahl-David ("The Black Donnellys"), Odet Jasmin, Mike Vogel ("Supercross") and Lizzy Kaplan ("The Class").

The movie, which is believed to have a relatively modest budget of about $30 million, began shooting in mid-June in New York. With "Transformers" generating huge tracking numbers in the weeks before its release, the studio decided to put footage from "Cloverfield" in a teaser in front of "Transformers" to build buzz.

After presenting the Paramount and Bad Robot logos -- Bad Robot being Abrams' shingle -- the trailer opens with scenes from a surprise going-away party in a New York bar with a view of the city. Before long, a thundering roar is heard, and by the time guests run downstairs, pandemonium and flaming debris are hitting the streets. After a huge explosion at the lower end of Manhattan, what appears to be the head of the Statue of Liberty comes hurtling up the street like a giant projectile.

The trailer's footage is shot by a hand-held camera, home-movie style, giving it a sort of "Armageddon" meets "The Blair Witch Project" feel, though it is not clear if the entire movie follows that style. While the trailer does not reveal the name of the movie, it does announce a release date of January 18.

Several copies of the trailer, seemingly shot in theaters with a camcorder, were posted on YouTube by Thursday morning. But by Thursday afternoon, some of those links had been taken down, replaced by an advisory saying, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Paramount Pictures Corp."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

saberhof

Smash Master
i cant finish that puzzle, i even followed the steps, when i try to click the triangles that light up, it just starts over..>_>..

but wow this is pretty amazing stuff.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Edit: Does anyone else see some a bloody creature in between the two girls at the 1-18 website?
I spotted that too. I really can't make it out though. Some people are speculating it's the devil or something.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Too many ARGs now-a-days. I've already had enough with the Halo 3 one, and now something else I'm interested in has one? Weak. :C

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
i cant finish that puzzle, i even followed the steps, when i try to click the triangles that light up, it just starts over..>_>..

but wow this is pretty amazing stuff.
You have to fully wait for the lights to stop. Wait a few seconds after the last one lights up before you start to click.

Edit: the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luZzNPGSvWo

CNN about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcPvu5canE&NR=1

And this , proving that the guy said "It's alive", and not "it's a lion/light"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZRSaXSRyZMs

And this guy looking into the pictures

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0uHbwPF5yJk&mode=related&search=

And this one, where the same guy looks into the Ethan Haas video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ukHbEDPz10U

Edit: View the source of the Ethan Haas page. You find the following.

"..war came, no longer from the elemental nor from the star's rain of fire. The world was again remade, and the glow was as the coming of the sun upon the Earth. The children of the gods were again too few, scattered and divided and among them walked the ancients and those whose thoughts were not as to the towers and the marvels, but to the End and the destruction of the Earth and to the fires from which nothing could escape."

Edit: Ok, read this thread. It's a lot, but it has basically all the information on this ARG thing going on.

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19964

Dibs

Smash Lord
You know, I just thought about it.

It's only a 30 million dollar budget, it comes out in 6 months, and they JUST started shooting. So no huge cgi monsters... I'm really hoping this isn't some kind of lost type of thing where we don't see a monster.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
After the trailer, I wished I was seeing that movie instead of transformers.

That's never happened before. I'm waaay excited.

saberhof

Smash Master
very interesting view about the numbers...but...>_>...i dont get it, what does it have to do with anything >_>..

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Dude, can't wait for this. Trailer looks amazing. Kinda like Day after Tommorow meets War of the Worlds, but I can tell it's gonna be lots more epic.

Dibs

Smash Lord

Can anyone tell what it says on the back of that sign? It just caught my eye.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
D_ _Y Dead

I dunno. Last word might not even be dead. It's probably irrelevent.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Dude, can't wait for this. Trailer looks amazing. Kinda like Day after Tommorow meets War of the Worlds, but I can tell it's gonna be lots more epic.
Oh gosh, both those movies sucked. Please dont compare this movie to those.

And even though it may be unimportant, at least it gives us stuff to over-analyze for a week or so, right?

D_PID
blah
OR
blah
D_rID (the R has to be lowercase for it to work)
DE_ _ E2

This has een the second time I've seen where someone has pointed out words and letters in graffiti from screen shots. Maybe this is one of their ways of sending messages. In both cases, the rest of the screen was blurry, and the message in graffiti was oddly visible.

Edit: He's giving us sites to find? That's rediculous. How do we even know where to look?

Dibs

Smash Lord
I dunno.. but the people at Cloverfield.com are mad at us.

http://www.trailerspy.com/2007/07/0...-comments-from-a-cloverfield-1-18-08-insider/

The picture of the party at www.1-18-08.com has a dude who looks like he might be in a slusho shirt. Plus that dude leaving is leaving for japan. http://www.slusho.jp/index.html is a japanese place. Might be a connection.

In other news, IGN has speculated that the film may be using the working title 'SLUSHO', the name of the slurpee-esque beverage that is offered to Jennifer Garner's character in the second episode of ALIAS. Personally, I don't care about the title, I'm already sold on this thing, by the super covert advertising campaign. Stay tuned for more info as it breaks!

Atlus8

Smash Master
Yeah I saw that guys shirt and you can see it clearly on the trailer. I was going type 'slusho' on the address bar, but I didn't think anything would come up.

Edit: you can also see the license plate on one of the cars on the street: ABZ-3293

Top Bottom